Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #5 Baylor (16-2; 4-2) at OU (12-6; 2-4)

January 22, 2022

#5 Baylor (16-2; 4-2) travels to Norman to take on Oklahoma (12-6; 2-4) on January 22nd at 2pm CST. The game will be televised on ESPN+

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 72 Oklahoma 68

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 71 Oklahoma 68

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Baylor 69 Oklahoma 68

Coaches

Oklahoma:    Porter Moser (53) 305-227; 2 NCAAs; 2 Sweet 16s; 1 Final 4

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 408-226 overall (387-215 at Baylor); 9 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  1-0 Scott Drew

Oklahoma Starters

Guard:  Jordan Goldwire (SR) 6-3 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 asst; 2 steals; 48% FG; 30% 3pt; 85% FT

Guard:  Umoja Gibson (SR) 6-1 170 lbs; 12 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 40% FG; 38% 3pt; 93% FT

Guard:  Elijah Harkless (SR) 6-3 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 41% FG; 33% 3pt; 60% FT

Forward:  Jalen Hill (JR) 6-6 220 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 65% FG; 30% 3pt; 78% FT

Forward:  Tanner Groves (SR) 6-10 235 lbs; 13 ppg; 6 reb; 55% FG; 35% 3pt; 74% FT

Oklahoma Bench

Forward:  Jacob Groves (JR) 6-9 210 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 46% FG; 20% 3pt; 50% FT

Guard:  CJ Noland (FR) 6-2 230 lbs; 5 ppg; 2 reb; 61% FG; 48% 3pt; 80% FT

*Forward:  Ethan Chargois (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 65% FG; 42% 3pt; 62% FT

Guard:  Bijan Cortes (FR) 6-3 194 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 63% FG; 67% 3pt; 100% FT

Baylor Starters

*Guard:  James Akinjo (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 13 ppg; 3 reb; 6 asst; 2 st; 43% FG; 36% 3pt; 78% FT

Guard:  Adam Flagler (JR) 6-3 180 lbs; 12 ppg; 2 reb; 4 asst; 43% FG; 38% 3pt; 78% FT

Forward:  Matt Mayer (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 st; 40% FG; 34% 3pt; 60% FT

Forward:  Kendall Brown (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 66% FG; 36% 3pt; 70% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 61%; 61% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Jon Tchatchoua (JR) 6-8 250 lbs; 8 ppg; 8 reb; 65% FG; 40% 3pt; 73% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (SO) 6-1 190 lbs; 14 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 49% FG; 47% 3pt; 72% FT

*Forward:  Jeremy Sochan (FR) 6-9 230 lbs; 9 ppg; 7 reb; 2 asst; 50% FG; 36% 3pt; 55% FT

Guard:  Dale Bonner (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 2 ppg; 1 asst; 24% FG; 15% 3pt; 56% FT

*injuries, status uncertain 

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #5 Baylor (16-2; 4-2) at OU (12-6; 2-4)

15,886 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
historian
Yes they do. But apparently not always. I know I've seen these guys announcing at other places. I think Neely even announced one or more of the football bowl games.

Go to the 45 second mark for Mayer's memorable dunk & the commentary. The voices are the same.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
The knee to the face guy really screwed his team by going off. Rather than man up, he threw a pity party, and brought his whole team down with him. Personally, I think BU wins regardless, but man, that dude really killed his team's momentum.
ScottS
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

The knee to the face guy really screwed his team by going off. Rather than man up, he threw a pity party, and brought his whole team down with him. Personally, I think BU wins regardless, but man, that dude really killed his team's momentum.

He kind of reminds me of a hyrbrid between Drew Timme and Teenwolf.
historian
Yes. I tend to be sympathetic anytime a player is injured, for either team. to be honest I thought it looked like he was whining like a baby!
BaylorJoy
He's definitely a drama queen. He's the same one that got a foul for checking Thamba way too hard earlier in the game. Dude's gotta learn how to control his emotions.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Seems like a Perfect fit for OU
historian
I had forgotten that! I know I shouldn't, but I have less sympathy now. I wonder if his sour puss mood didn't infect their whole team contributing to their loss. I hate to psychoanalyze with no expertise & no knowledge of the situation but right now I can only guess. I'd hate to think that our victory would have any asterisk because of questions about Mayer's knee. I'm also glad he didn't get a foul because they would have been his 5th.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
It definitely affected their mood - 4 point swing because the dude threw a fit
BellCountyBear
POu!
Louise Romano
DanaDane said:

STFU only comes from me when someone just keeps grinding and grinding and grinding on the same thing that's not even meaningful any longer. I said it when Lance Blanks, the analyst, and whoever the Play By Play (PBP) guy just kept droning on and on and on about the Mayer play where he jumped in the air and his knee inadvertently hit the OU player.

If we use any terminology or acronyms that you don't understand, just ask. We will gladly tell you! You're a welcome addition to the board and provide great insight with your observations.
Wow! OK, so its like an Italian mother going off on someone bad mouthing their beloved baby! We Italians talk more with our hands. But, truthfully, we don't really cuss a lot. I guess the internet and texting has caused all of these abbreviations. Seems logical!
william
Blue&SilverBear
Did they ever come back to the "potentially earthshaking news out of Waco" that they teased but said they would talk more about later?
Sink Navy - Sic 'em Bears
RegentCoverup
Was at the game, here are some thoughts:

Porter Moser is a good coach, and IMO good guy, even then, I do t know that he will get the recruits. Pure system coaches have a downside. His team at Loyola depended heavily on their big man, I don't know that he will ever get another big man like that again. The Groves kid has very little athletic ability. We will see if he stays……..

Groves took a shot to the face. But deserved two shots to the gut, maybe another to the jaw.
There is *some* truth to the idea that he's learned to be an entitled baby, it's their fan base, He should have been ejected.

Weird deal, Drew was hot at the refs. They were inconsistent. Old news, right? One of the refs mocked him repeatedly as they went back and forth. Classless and unprofessional on their part. Again, this league needs new leadership. Other two refs were decent,

Thamba, And JTT deserve game balls. They played excellent defense and made a lot fewer mistakes. Overall. Our composure and responses looked better. Even without the Unabomber losing his cool, we still get the win.

Kendall Brown played a lot of minutes but looked exhausted in the second half, He never quit. Deserves respect for effort.

But I'll give the win to Akinjo. They just couldn't keep up with him and he opened up shots and a lot of high percentage conversions. We have more confidence with him on the floor. What I saw Saturday was more of him being a leader on the floor than him simply trying to carry a team with his ability, like every college player, Akinjo is still growing. If he can evolve just a bit to spark his teammates, he can dramatically affect our velocity on those runs where we start creating turnovers.

MashedPotatoes
Does anyone know what this earth-shattering news could be?
CorsicanaBear
Mark me as one of the people who want to know the "seismic" (the word used by the announcer) news out of Waco.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.