Photo by Raymond Carlin III-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #10 Baylor (23-5; 11-4) vs #5 Kansas (23-4; 12-2)

February 26, 2022

#10 Baylor (23-5; 11-4) hosts #5 Kansas (23-4; 12-2) on February 26th at 7pm CST in Waco, Texas. The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 78 Kansas 74

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 78 Kansas 74

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Baylor 76 Kansas 74

Coaches

Kansas:    Bill Self (59); 751- 227 (545-122 at KU) 21 NCAAs; 13 Sweet 16; 10 Elite 8; 3 Final 4; 1 NC; 5 Level 1 Viol

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 415-229 overall (394-218 at Baylor); 9 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:   27-6 Bill Self

Last 5:  3-2 Self

Kansas Starters

Guard:  Dajuan Harris (SO) 6-1 170 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 asst; 2 st; 46% FG; 31% 3pt; 80% FT

Guard:  Ochai Agbaji (SR) 6-5 215 lbs; 20 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 51% FG; 45% 3pt; 75% FT

Guard:  Christian Braun (JR) 6-6 220 lbs; 15 ppg; 6 reb; 3 asst; 52% FG; 35% 3pt; 75% FT

Forward:  Jalen Wilson (SO) 6-8 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 7 reb; 50% FG; 29% 3pt; 68% FT

Forward:  David McCormack (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 10 ppg; 7 reb; 52% FG; 70% FT

Kansas Bench

Guard:  Jalen Coleman-Lands (SR) 6-4 190 lbs; 4 ppg; 48% FG; 44% 3pt; 80% FT

*Guard:  Remy Martin (SR) 6-0 175 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 44% FG; 36% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  Mitch Lightfoot (SR) 6-8 225 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 65% FG; 55% FT

Guard:  Joseph Yesufu (SR) 6-0 180 lbs; 3 ppg; 36% FG; 25% 3pt; 63% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  James Akinjo (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 13 ppg; 2 reb; 6 asst; 2 st; 39% FG; 31% 3pt; 83% FT

Guard:  Adam Flagler (JR) 6-3 180 lbs; 14 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 45% FG; 40% 3pt; 73% FT

Forward:  Matt Mayer (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 1 st; 41% FG; 33% 3pt; 65% FT

Forward:  Kendall Brown (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 59% FG; 30% 3pt; 73% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 52% FG; 58% FT

Baylor Bench

*Guard:  LJ Cryer (SO) 6-1 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 2 asst; 48% FG; 47% 3pt; 78% FT

Guard:  Dale Bonner (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 asst; 33% FG; 18% 3pt; 72% FT

Forward:  Jeremy Sochan (FR) 6-9 230 lbs; 8 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 49% FG; 31% 3pt; 54% FT

*injuries, status uncertain

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #10 Baylor (23-5; 11-4) vs #5 Kansas (23-4; 12-2)

24,123 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by william
Crawfoso1973
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I will always question strategy, game plan, determination, hustle"

Direct quote from you. Quoting it back at you a 2nd time.
IowaBear
We won the game, why is this pissing match still going on? It's funny there's a few on here bagging on other posters for making questionable in game comments yet they do the same in DMs with each other. Everyone on here is a BU fan. Games over we won quit *****ing about who said what. This fan base is a god send compared to others: If you don't believe that I suggest you hop on and read other teams boards
Stefano DiMera
I didn't attend a state run diploma mill like Tech Texas or A&M.

I expect a little more perspective and common sense from folks with a Baylor education.
Timbear
Offensively, High IQ basketball nowadays is defined as passing to the open man, a player not playing ISO basketball which causes others to stand around, passing and moving, and passing when possible to the screener on a pick and roll. Just to name a few. There have definitely been times this year when Baylor was not playing high IQ basketball. That is not as much the case now at all, and last night's win proves. Some on this board must have low self esteem, because they only want all posts to be about how great everything is all the time no matter what is actually happening on the court. Baylor is having another great year, but during a game, opinion posts are made in real time without the benefit of hindsight after the game. Plus everyone has their opinion. Analyzing play is Never about attacking the player personally. Some on here have not learned the difference.
BearTruth13
Stefano DiMera said:

I didn't attend a state run diploma mill like Tech Texas or A&M.

I expect a little more perspective and common sense from folks with a Baylor education.

UT is the same way. They have a "Fire Coach ____" after every loss.

This board is super tame regarding criticism. Most of the posters are the definition of sunshine pumpers.
Louise Romano
Crawfoso1973 said:

"I will always question strategy, game plan, determination, hustle"

Direct quote from you. Quoting it back at you a 2nd time.
I guess for the 3rd and last time I have to spell this out for you. Questioning those 4 direct objects DOES NOT mean it is a criticism unless I allow you to be my spokesperson. It simply means these are the 4 items that you can use to give you a sense of where you are at any point in a game.

For instance, after being down 13 I did NOT see any hustle on the D side but I was neutral on determination. There was not enough time gone to know what the game plan or strategy was; however, it was easy to see KU's game plan and strategy was to get down the floor BEFORE we could get our D set and run their O from there.

So the word QUESTION, to me anyway, and given English is my 6th language, is simply calling it out for a grade at any given time. But I think you interpret that to mean its all bad. Well that is enough to tell me that you are not relaying correctly the intentions of my comment. So be done with it bc we are on 2 separate plains here.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Offensively, High IQ basketball nowadays is defined as passing to the open man, a player not playing ISO basketball which causes others to stand around, passing and moving, and passing when possible to the screener on a pick and roll. Just to name a few. There have definitely been times this year when Baylor was not playing high IQ basketball. That is not as much the case now at all, and last night's win proves. Some on this board must have low self esteem, because they only want all posts to be about how great everything is all the time no matter what is actually happening on the court. Baylor is having another great year, but during a game, opinion posts are made in real time without the benefit of hindsight after the game. Plus everyone has their opinion. Analyzing play is Never about attacking the player personally. Some on here have not learned the difference.
Our team has averaged more than 25 wins per year the last three seasons -- and spent basically that entire time ranked in the top 10. If you're consistently finding things to ***** about, there's a good chance you don't know much about college basketball.
Crawfoso1973
Lack of perspective, basketball IQ, common sense, and empathy from certain posters. Our team was hammered by injuries (basically our entire backcourt) and then some posters attack our coaches and attack players when we are not immediately playing perfect basketball in the wake of said injuries.. Change to a new username, rinse and repeat. What we saw last night (increased involvement of Sochan, better ball movement, etc) took immense work behind the scences and practice time to accomplish...not at all in line with the entitled mentality of those on here demanding instant gratification.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Louise Romano said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Louise Romano said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

But why post such nonsense? It's the same posters who panic and throw the coaches and players under the bus any game we lose. Hell, we didn't even lose this one. We were behind 13 against a top 5 team and immediately these kinds of posters overreact and start attacking our players and coaches.

This team has already proven earlier in the year and climaxing with the Villanova game they CAN defend. The question is one of chemistry and grit. That team is a FF team, but we have seen so much inconsistent play and even when we play well we still go through a lot of mental mistakes for a stretch.

Anyway, you won't find me criticizing any single player, but I will always question strategy, game plan, determination, hustle and other things that take away your ability to overcome obstacles.

Questioning this team's grit and consistency, what planet is this coming from? With so many injuries we have battled back time and time again with grit and determination. We won yesterday playing 7 guys against a top 5 team. You say you were a basketball coach, do you not know how injuries can wreck havoc on a team's rhythm and chemistry? Every game the coaching staff has been tasked with finding new combinations of players to fill roles, all the while treading water in the toughest conference in America. Our effort and grit is beyond reproach.
You are correct. If you read it correctly, I did not say WE HAVE NO GRIT. However, I believe for this team to make a deep run it will need that same grit and chemistry to get there. Geez, I am just in awe of how people can take a comment, twist it, and come up with a dissertation on something I never said. It happens way more on here than I ever thought.

Maybe I just revert to Italian so I am careful to say the right thing 100% of the time without concern for criticism on a non-comment.

I think thats a great idea. Speaking 6 languages being tall and coaching jr high basketball doesnt make you the expert you pretend to be.

You said our coaching staff did not have the team ready. You said they didnt take the ku loss to heart. You are apparently able to judge a teams collectibe IQ. I remind you thst all members of our team have performed at a higher level than you or me. What gives you the special ability to judge them?

If you are a Baylor fan sit back and enjoy the game.
Timbear
Let it go , Limited IQ, My Gosh!
Jack Bauer
With the win, we will continue our streak of being in the top 10 for 46 straight weeks!!!!
Louise Romano
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Louise Romano said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Louise Romano said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

But why post such nonsense? It's the same posters who panic and throw the coaches and players under the bus any game we lose. Hell, we didn't even lose this one. We were behind 13 against a top 5 team and immediately these kinds of posters overreact and start attacking our players and coaches.

This team has already proven earlier in the year and climaxing with the Villanova game they CAN defend. The question is one of chemistry and grit. That team is a FF team, but we have seen so much inconsistent play and even when we play well we still go through a lot of mental mistakes for a stretch.

Anyway, you won't find me criticizing any single player, but I will always question strategy, game plan, determination, hustle and other things that take away your ability to overcome obstacles.

Questioning this team's grit and consistency, what planet is this coming from? With so many injuries we have battled back time and time again with grit and determination. We won yesterday playing 7 guys against a top 5 team. You say you were a basketball coach, do you not know how injuries can wreck havoc on a team's rhythm and chemistry? Every game the coaching staff has been tasked with finding new combinations of players to fill roles, all the while treading water in the toughest conference in America. Our effort and grit is beyond reproach.
You are correct. If you read it correctly, I did not say WE HAVE NO GRIT. However, I believe for this team to make a deep run it will need that same grit and chemistry to get there. Geez, I am just in awe of how people can take a comment, twist it, and come up with a dissertation on something I never said. It happens way more on here than I ever thought.

Maybe I just revert to Italian so I am careful to say the right thing 100% of the time without concern for criticism on a non-comment.

I think thats a great idea. Speaking 6 languages being tall and coaching jr high basketball doesnt make you the expert you pretend to be.

You said our coaching staff did not have the team ready. You said they didnt take the ku loss to heart. You are apparently able to judge a teams collectibe IQ. I remind you thst all members of our team have performed at a higher level than you or me. What gives you the special ability to judge them?

If you are a Baylor fan sit back and enjoy the game.
I don't know if this is just a Baylor thing or not, but I'm not going to comment over and over and over and over that what you say I said is not what I really said. Wow. European bball boards NEVER have this insane kind of back and forth.

The words you use are not the words I used, yet you still feel free to comment on my "intent." Maybe I should stick to Italian from here on out bc at least I know no other Italian would misconstrue the meaning of my comments.

Finally, I am not JUDGING anybody! If you tell me that when down 13 5min into the game that BU was in fact ready for the challenge you know you beyond doubt that is 100% incorrect. Plus, my comments through the year about inconsistency are 100% accurate and case in point is the 2nd half of the TT game in Lubbock. If BU puts 12 2nd halves together like last night then I would say a national championship is not out of the question. But I have every right to say that this inconsistent play is THE NO.1 ISSUE in getting there.
Louise Romano
I have come to the following conclusion here.

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WHICH I HAVE ONLY BEEN SPEAKING LESS THAN ONE YEAR HAS WAY TOO MANY SYNONYMS FOR THE VERBAGE EXCHANGED. That is why I am careful with my choice of words as there are so many different ways to express it.

In Italian, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, and Slavic that does not exist OR there are fewer phrases that apply to the responses I am getting. So I am now done with this and will reply in Italian only from now on!
Stefano DiMera
Louise. We're 25-5..in the best conference in America.. only a couple teams have better records..all were asking..and it's not just you..but let the game play out..till at least halftime..
Before you say the game is over and we've quit..not saying you said those exact words..

On the flip side.. wouldn't you think it would be ridiculous if a Kansas fan said Bill Self didn't have his team ready after halftime?

And since I've been labeled a sunshine pumper.
5-23
11-16
11-17
18-13
Those were the records my 4 years at Baylor.. didn't miss a home game in the Heart of Darkness Colliseeum.

I know what bad basketball with low IQ and quit looks like..it ain't this team.
DanaDane
Louise Romano said:

So I am now done with this and will reply in Italian only from now on!

This seems like a sub-optimal solution. None of the rest of us will understand anything you are saying. If you feel there are one or two people who are taking your words out of context, the easier route would be to either not respond to them or place them on Ignore instead of responding in Italian, which then makes it impossible for the majority of us to communicate with you.
Crawfoso1973
Amen brother! For low IQ basketball, I was a student during the Harry Miller and Dave Bliss times. Yikes.
Timbear
Congrats to some of you who just ran off a good guy who is excited about Baylor and wants to participate in the discussions here because his family is a part of Baylor now. Because of some of your "my way or the highway" attitudes toward some of his opinions, this honest sincere person doesn't feel accepted, and has withdrawn. Happy now? Way to go to those who are so arrogant and condescending toward a good man because you think his views are not important or worthy to be posted. This is sickening. His opinions are equal in importance to anyone else's. All any of us have are our opinions. Good job. I hope you're proud of yourselves today.
IowaBear
Agree that there's certainly a few on here who believe their views trump everyone else and that those who disagree are morons. But Louise is most definitely a she
Timbear
Louise, you tell these guys to suck pond water and you post anything you want to anytime, just like they do. Glad you're a Baylor fan.
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

Louise. We're 25-5..in the best conference in America.. only a couple teams have better records..all were asking..and it's not just you..but let the game play out..till at least halftime..
Before you say the game is over and we've quit..not saying you said those exact words..

On the flip side.. wouldn't you think it would be ridiculous if a Kansas fan said Bill Self didn't have his team ready after halftime?

5-23
11-16
11-17
18-13
Those were the records my 4 years at Baylor.. didn't miss a home game in the Heart of Darkness Colliseeum.

You had it good. My four years were:

8-21
9-19
4-13
15-16

But you're 100 percent correct. Baylor fans have gotten really spoiled. We're witnessing the pinnacle of Baylor men's basketball history. Try to enjoy it a little, folks.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

5-23
11-16
11-17
18-13

But you're 100 percent correct. Baylor fans have gotten really spoiled. We're witnessing the pinnacle of Baylor sports history. Try to enjoy it a little, folks.

FIFY
BearTruth13
Timbear said:

Louise, you tell these guys to suck pond water and you post anything you want to anytime, just like they do. Glad you're a Baylor fan.

Ignore the sunshine pumpers. They are used to terrible Baylor teams. Any criticism of a 20 win team is going to piss them off.
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

Timbear said:

Ignore the sunshine pumpers. They are used to terrible Baylor teams. Any criticism of a 20 win team is going to piss them off.
Sunshine pumpers aren't a thing when you're the defending national champions and sitting at 24-5 the following year with four new starters.

Anyone who's not "pumping sunshine" in that scenario is an idiot.

The last three years at Baylor are as bright as college basketball gets. There's no need to pump in extra sunshine.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

Timbear said:

Sunshine pumpers aren't a thing when you're the defending national champions and sitting at 24-5 the following year with four new starters.

The last three years at Baylor are as bright as college basketball gets. There's no need to pump in extra sunshine.

The team is great and has been. Golden era for Baylor basketball. You can still be critical of games or plays.
ScottS
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMksfvcXoAEqjBH?format=jpg&name=900x900
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

Timbear said:

The team is great and has been. Golden era for Baylor basketball. You can still be critical of games or plays.
Only to a point and remain reasonable.
boognish_bear
historian
IowaBear said:

This one feels personal for the Bears. Got embarrassed in Lawrence and the last time Gameday was here Selfs Jayhawks halted a 20 game win streak. Think the Bears will play their hearts out. Just not sure it'll be enough. Kansas offensively feels like to much to overcome but that's why we play the games. Need a big game from MM.

FYI: that win streak in 2019 was 23, a Big 12 record. That Kansas game was probably as loud & exciting as last night. It definitely was the most exciting game we have lost that I have seen. If Butler had made his buzzer beater 3, the crowd would have taken the top off!
mcleod66
Johnny Bear said:

For a change Akinjo with a good pass.
I guess you haven't watched him play much this season. He makes them several times each game.
william
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.