Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #7 Baylor (5-1) at Marquette (5-2)

November 27, 2022

#7 Baylor (5-1) travels to Marquette (5-2) Tuesday November 29th at 7:30pm CST in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as part of the Big12/Big East Challenge.  The game will be televised on FS1.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 82 Marquette 76

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 79 Marquette 76

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Baylor 80 Marquette 79

Coaches

Marquette:  Shaka Smart (45) 296-157 (24-15 at Marquette); 9 NCCAs; 1 Sweet 16; 1 Elite 8; 1 FF

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 424-234 overall (404-223 at Baylor); 10 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  11-2 Drew

Marquette Starters

Guard:  Tyler Kolek (JR) 6-3 190 lbs 9 ppg; 5 reb; 8 asst; 41% FG; 43% 3pt; 81% FT

Guard:  Stevie Mitchell (SO) 6-2 195 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 43% FG; 35% 3pt; 64% FT

Guard:  Kam Jones (SO) 6-4 195 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 42% FG; 30% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward: Oso Ighodaro (JR) 6-9 215 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 3 asst; 61% FG; 42% FT

Forward:  Oliver-Maxence Prosper (JR) 6-8 230 lbs; 13 ppg; 5 reb; 55% FG; 31% 3pt; 67% FT

Marquette Bench

Guard:  Sean Jones (JR) 5-10 175 lbs; 6 ppg; 46% FG; 23% 3pt; 59% FT

Forward:  David Joplin (SO) 6-7 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 4 reb; 46% FG; 42% 3pt; 93% FT

Guard:  Chase Ross (FR) 6-4 195 lbs; 6 ppg; 2 reb; 47% FG; 27% 3pt; 78% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  Adam Flagler (SR) 6-3 185 lbs; 17 ppg; 3 reb; 7 asst; 52% FG; 54% 3pt; 100% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (JR) 6-1 190 lbs; 18 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 48% FG; 38% 3pt; 100% FT

Guard:  Keyonte George (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 4 reb; 5 asst; 40% FG; 33% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-7 225 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 49% FG; 20% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 90% FG; 41% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Dale Bonner (SR) 6-2 170 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 4 asst; 2 st; 61% FG; 50% 3pt; 77% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 7 ppg; 5 reb; 63% FG; 50% 3pt; 71% FT

Guard:  Langston Love (FR) 6-5 210 lbs; 5 ppg; 2 reb; 44% FG; 39% 3pt; 71% FT

Forward:  Joshua Ojianwuna (FR) 6-10 235 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 reb; 1 blk; 80% FG; 69% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #7 Baylor (5-1) at Marquette (5-2)

18,712 Views | 294 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Quinton
Quinton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Quinton said:

Thought Flagler would have greatly improved ball handling by working it all offseason but it's still so shaky against any pressure
That's why I smh anytime people say Flagler is our PG. Not a knock on Flagler at all, but he is a scoring guard. Since we have no true PG I originally thought Grimes would get a lot of minutes at PG or even start, but they are redshirting him to stagger his eligibility with Bonner and Flagler, which makes sense.
Love Flagler and thought he could have that breakout in skills when Mitchell came back after working all offseason but it hasn't happened. He is a pace guy and a natural scorer off the ball. Struggles against anyone speeding him up right now.
George is a much bigger problem than Flagler currently.

Against Virginia, UCLA and Marquette, Flagler has averaged 17.6 points while shooting 44.7 percent from the field and 52.2 percent from 3, to go with 4.7 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.3 turnovers per game.

Those are good numbers.

By contrast, in those same games, George averaged 12 points on 35.1 percent shooting and 23.5 percent from 3, with 1.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 4.3 turnovers per game.

Those are really bad numbers.

To be a really good team, we need waaaaayyyyyy more from George than he's giving us right now.
That wasn't the question. That doesn't address the problem or the comment. That is deflection. Everyone can clearly see George is struggling badly and it is becoming a big problem. Ill take it as conceding the point.

And again.. never said it was even close to the biggest problem on what is currently a deeply flawed poor coached team right now. Defense is obviously #1, #2, and #3. But making a comment about something obvious as its happening over and over is pretty standard during a game. Never said it was the top problem.
It's not deflection at all. This team plays point guard committee, with Flagler and George handling the bulk of the ball-handling. One of those guys has done his job in big games. The other has been exposed as an overwhelmed freshman.

My only issue is that feels really unfair to Akinjo who despite all his flaws when healthy could at least get to the rim and score against anyone, something I've yet to see George do.

George has made zero progression since we saw him in the summer and his attitude/demeanor at least watching from a TV looks really bad. Not selfish like akinjo just frustrated and ready to quit.
I don't want to pile on George too much. He's super talented and seems like a good kid. But when a guy comes in with that kind of hype and is inserted into that kind of role, he's got to perform. And so far, the game has been too big for him against good teams.

But I'm not a big one-and-done guy in general. I got roasted for saying this last year, but most freshmen aren't ready physically, mentally or emotionally to dominate grown men in high-major Division I college basketball. So in most cases, you're going to get an unfinished, frustrating player for one season and be replacing that roster spot the next.
This unrealistic mindset for a one-and-done player is the reason so many people complained about KB last year and George this year. It's unfair to say "he's got to perform" and "dominate grown men." I think the reason for George's struggles is the kind of role he's expected to perform, immediately thrown into the fire as the alpha and the focus of every opposing defense. By contrast look at Sochan last year, he wasn't expected to immediately dominate. Hell, he didn't even have to start for us. He had a low-usage role and could kind of blend in and grow gradually with so much talent around him. He started the year as a role player and little by little grew into a star by the time the tourney rolled around. If we had a true PG to complement George and take the pressure off him, he would be much more efficient and there would be much less complaining about him.
Im biased but I think this is somewhat accurate. Still no excuse for the sloppy ball handling and the broken shot. He needs to be way better. But it doesn't help that the roles are ill defined due to the lack of one true ball handler that can be counted on to get the team into sets less than 40 ft out AND while actually facing towards the bucket.

Too many times we've started action so far out with a defender right on the guys hip or back. You use your body to shield from time to time but when getting to your spot to start offense you typically have a ball handler good enough to go face up at that point. You typically see the constant back to the defender pivots over and over from lower level teams with lesser athletes with weaker ball skills to ensure they don't turn it over.

Most pg's at the higher level can open up and get a step/space to their spot. Even Akinjo after shielding would make a move or a hesitation and open up to initiate offense fairly easily. Its something the ones who site stats might not notice but for those who know the game will be concerned when they see it over and over.

I think George could be good as secondary playmaker. Still think he will get there but its obviously not looking good right now. Just flashes of huge talent with constant mistakes. The primary defender will be on Flagler then Cryer at least for the next month or so. College teams don't usually have more than 2 high quality individual defenders. Makes it easier to bring the ball up when a mediocre on ball defender is stuck on him if we can count on him to calm down and do it. I think the coaches need to explicitly flesh out these roles a bit better. I mean against Va the only offense we could generate for a time was action through George.

He was deferring and playing in the system early. Once we stepped up comp and he's sitting in the corner watching the others struggle to make plays/get past their defenders he started really forcing things. Not an excuse and has been terrible lately but as you said someone to play off of would be huge right now.

The shot being completely off isn't helping to take the pressure valve off.
Big_Pumpin
Flo shot the ball 1 time. 1 time. He had 3 rebounds and 4 personal fouls.

Early in the the game he received the ball deep in the post. He had a guy on his left hip. A drop step to the right would have sealed the guy for an easy lay-up. Instead he dribbles left into the defender and and gets pushed away from the basket and has to kick it out. Big men have progressed in this program year after year. Not Flo
DanaDane
12 hours later, I'm still reeling:

- What did I watch last night?

- We can't be THAT bad, can we? We beat a pretty good UCLA team and played well against UVA for 30 of the 40 minutes.

- I knew we had a few holes, like every other Top 25 team this year, but I didn't expect Marquette to expose every single dirty little deficiency to volcanic size.

- I know it's not likely we will perform THIS poorly again, but should I significantly alter my expectations to that of shooting for a mid-level finish in the conference at best?

- It's early in the season so surely Drew has enough time to address some of these things. Hopefully George becomes more comfortable (and smarter) at the college level as it unfortunately looks very AAU-esque so far. Maybe Drew and staff are able to adapt these guys into a D that better compliments what they can offer to make it serviceable against Big 12 opponents? There's a lot of season still left for which we can gain maturity as a team and get better.

I think I'm just gonna wad this game up and toss it aside, adhering to the adage one game does not make a trend and then wait until after Friday night to see how we rebound against an embarrassingly bad performance.
True Grit
We have got to get Bridges going (less foul trouble would help), and I am not sure if Lohner shouldn't be playing the 5 for us and starting.
IowaBear
The answer is probably somewhere in between. No way we're that bad. But there's also the possibility we aren't nearly as good as the mods and analysts thought we would be. Middle of the pack B12 finish and R32 is what I'm hoping. Unless the defense drastically improves that's probably this teams ceiling.
True Grit
IowaBear said:

The answer is probably somewhere in between. No way we're that bad. But there's also the possibility we aren't nearly as good as the mods and analysts thought we would be. Middle of the pack B12 finish and R32 is what I'm hoping. Unless the defense drastically improves that's probably this teams ceiling.
I think this Friday will tell us a lot about the team. I hope we bounce back with a big victory.
IowaBear
I'd love a victory but even better defense and energy in a loss would be a positive imo.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

bear2be2 said:

Quinton said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Quinton said:

Thought Flagler would have greatly improved ball handling by working it all offseason but it's still so shaky against any pressure
That's why I smh anytime people say Flagler is our PG. Not a knock on Flagler at all, but he is a scoring guard. Since we have no true PG I originally thought Grimes would get a lot of minutes at PG or even start, but they are redshirting him to stagger his eligibility with Bonner and Flagler, which makes sense.
Love Flagler and thought he could have that breakout in skills when Mitchell came back after working all offseason but it hasn't happened. He is a pace guy and a natural scorer off the ball. Struggles against anyone speeding him up right now.
George is a much bigger problem than Flagler currently.

Against Virginia, UCLA and Marquette, Flagler has averaged 17.6 points while shooting 44.7 percent from the field and 52.2 percent from 3, to go with 4.7 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.3 turnovers per game.

Those are good numbers.

By contrast, in those same games, George averaged 12 points on 35.1 percent shooting and 23.5 percent from 3, with 1.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 4.3 turnovers per game.

Those are really bad numbers.

To be a really good team, we need waaaaayyyyyy more from George than he's giving us right now.
That wasn't the question. That doesn't address the problem or the comment. That is deflection. Everyone can clearly see George is struggling badly and it is becoming a big problem. Ill take it as conceding the point.

And again.. never said it was even close to the biggest problem on what is currently a deeply flawed poor coached team right now. Defense is obviously #1, #2, and #3. But making a comment about something obvious as its happening over and over is pretty standard during a game. Never said it was the top problem.
It's not deflection at all. This team plays point guard committee, with Flagler and George handling the bulk of the ball-handling. One of those guys has done his job in big games. The other has been exposed as an overwhelmed freshman.

My only issue is that feels really unfair to Akinjo who despite all his flaws when healthy could at least get to the rim and score against anyone, something I've yet to see George do.

George has made zero progression since we saw him in the summer and his attitude/demeanor at least watching from a TV looks really bad. Not selfish like akinjo just frustrated and ready to quit.
I don't want to pile on George too much. He's super talented and seems like a good kid. But when a guy comes in with that kind of hype and is inserted into that kind of role, he's got to perform. And so far, the game has been too big for him against good teams.

But I'm not a big one-and-done guy in general. I got roasted for saying this last year, but most freshmen aren't ready physically, mentally or emotionally to dominate grown men in high-major Division I college basketball. So in most cases, you're going to get an unfinished, frustrating player for one season and be replacing that roster spot the next.
This unrealistic mindset for a one-and-done player is the reason so many people complained about KB last year and George this year. It's unfair to say "he's got to perform" and "dominate grown men." I think the reason for George's struggles is the kind of role he's expected to perform, immediately thrown into the fire as the alpha and the focus of every opposing defense. By contrast look at Sochan last year, he wasn't expected to immediately dominate. Hell, he didn't even have to start for us. He had a low-usage role and could kind of blend in and grow gradually with so much talent around him. He started the year as a role player and little by little grew into a star by the time the tourney rolled around. If we had a true PG to complement George and take the pressure off him, he would be much more efficient and there would be much less complaining about him.
If those players aren't ready to be impact players, they're bad takes. Plain and simple. You're not recruiting one-year players to be patient with them. If they don't perform, they're wasting time that could be spent developing a three- or four-year player who would almost certainly have a bigger impact on your program.

One-and-dones come with the same expectations as transfers. They're being brought in to fill a specific role. If they're not up to it, that's a problem.

And just for the record, I haven't given up on George by any stretch. But he hasn't been nearly as good as we need him to be to reach our ceiling. If he doesn't improve dramatically, this team will underachieve.

This 100%. If George really is a one and done then you're not asking anything less than him be a quality big 12 starter. So far he's only worthy of the stating role because drew has somewhat mishandled the roster construction for this year. If playing against college players is too big of a task then you're not ready to go to the NBA.

George can and should get better but I worry because he's had the opportunity to and hasn't so far. Kendall brown drove me crazy last year but he was capable of playing his role on the team, George so far hasn't been.
Stefano DiMera
I think the Tang loss was huge .and I would say that if KState was 0-6 instead of 6-0.

He was that alpha coach during practice and games that would get in someone's grill..I don't see that on this staff.
ScottS
I wouldn't worry about this loss. You do realize that Chris Farley went to Marquette. I feel we lost because we were battling not just Marquette MBB, but also the ghost of Chris Farley.
MrGolfguy
ScottS said:

I wouldn't worry about this loss. You do realize that Chris Farley went to Marquette. I feel we lost because we were battling not just Marquette MBB, but also the ghost of Chris Farley.
Marquette certainly made Baylor look like they practice in a van down by the river.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BUmoneymaker
Sometimes I wish you'd just shut your big yapper!

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Quinton
True Grit said:

IowaBear said:

I think this Friday will tell us a lot about the team. I hope we bounce back with a big victory.

It's definitely possible. Not time to give up but can't ignore what's slapping everyone in the face either. A recovery to beat Gonzaga would be huge. Don't think we can overstate how big a win it would be
Quinton
Stefano DiMera said:

I think the Tang loss was huge .and I would say that if KState was 0-6 instead of 6-0.

He was that alpha coach during practice and games that would get in someone's grill..I don't see that on this staff.

Starting to worry the same. No doubt losing a great assistant will be felt for at least awhile

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.