Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #3 Seed Baylor vs #2 Seed Iowa State

March 16, 2024

3 seed Baylor (23-9) takes on 2 seed Iowa State (25-7) in the semifinals of the Big12 Tournament Friday March 15th at 8:30pm CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN.

KenPom Prediction:  Iowa State 71 Baylor 70

Torvik Prediction:  Iowa State 73 Baylor 70

Evan Miyakawa:  Iowa State 73 Baylor 68

Haslametrics:  Iowa State 69 Baylor 68

Coaches

Iowa State:  TJ Otzleberger (46) 165-96 (66-34 at ISU); 4 NCAAs; Sweet 16

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 464-252 overall (434-241 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  3-3

Iowa State Starters

Guard:  Tamin Lipsey (SO) 6-1 200 lbs; 13 ppg; 5 reb; 5 asst; 3 st; 42% FG; 37% 3pt; 69% FT

Guard:  Keshon Gilbert (JR) 6-4 200 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 4 asst; 44% FG; 33% 3pt; 73% FT

Forward: Tre King (SR) 6-7 230 lbs; 9 ppg; 5 reb; 50% FG; 28% 3pt; 81% FT

Forward:  Milan Momcilovic (FR) 6-8 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 42% FG; 35% 3pt; 81% FT

Forward:  Robert Jones (SR) 6-10 255 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 61% FG; 52% FT

Iowa State Bench

Guard:  Curtis Jones (SR) 6-4 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 steals; 40% FG; 33% pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Hason Ward (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 reb; 59% FG; 53% FT

Forward:  Omaha Biliew (FR) 6-8 225 lbs; 3 ppg; 54% FG; 61% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 14 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst;  49% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 47% FG; 45% 3pt; 71% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 38% FG; 34% 3pt; 83% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 12 ppg; 6 reb; 46% FG; 40% 3pt; 84% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 62% FG; 61% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 47% FG; 48% 3pt; 78% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 55% FG; 22% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 74% FG; 63% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 44% FG; 38% 3pt; 72% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #3 Seed Baylor vs #2 Seed Iowa State

33,950 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by historian
oldbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lets end this thing quickly and mercifully in the first round and let these guys concentrate on their nba careers ,,,,need to get behind softball...
howhardcanitbe
BearlyNose said:

Let's remember this is a game. These young men have worked hard all year…let's acknowledge their efforts, and their participation in our shared Baylor experiences. In all ways, I wish them well, and if they continue to play college basketball, I hope they choose to play for all of us at Baylor.

What shared experiences?? Back when I had had a class in the business school with Josh Lomers, I might have agreed with you. Nowadays? Most of these guys are HIGHLY paid professionals already. They can deal with earned criticism.
bear2be2
Jayman1963 said:

Difference in the game was three pointers: they went 10-20 and we were 5-24
3-point shooting and turnovers. We can't win shooting like that or turning the ball over the way we did.

Walter and Nunn were particularly ghastly.

Props to the forwards for showing up. Bridges missed some shots, but he played with great effort and finished with a double-double, and Lohner was excellent in his bench role.

We need to do some soul searching over the next few days. This effort tonight won't beat anyone in the NCAA tournament.
Jayman1963
bear2be2 said:

Jayman1963 said:

Difference in the game was three pointers: they went 10-20 and we were 5-24
3-point shooting and turnovers. We can't win shooting like that or turning the ball over the way we did.

Walter and Nunn were particularly ghastly.

Props to the forwards for showing up. Bridges missed some shots, but he played with great effort and finished with a double-double, and Lohner was excellent in his bench role.

We need to do some soul searching over the next few days. This effort tonight won't beat anyone in the NCAA tournament.
Good point, bear2, I should have mentioned turnovers too - unfortunately turnovers have been a problem all season and that won't fly in the Big Dance.
PaperBear89
Fre3dombear said:

Walter is actually regressing from a low level.

Hope he has a short memory next week

It's a Catch 22 for college coaches. Despite my saying we should get out of the McD all American arms race, I think coaches participate because 1 and done means your program put another player in the NBA. Of course that can backfire on you if some of them are duds. In reality, what happens is most 1 and dones don't really pan out until a few years with the big boys ... i.e. Jared Allen Texas/Cavaliers. Probably due to physical maturity plus more competition from foreign born players entering the draft. So, basically very few college coaches should be taking credit and saying "Yeah I put *that* guy in the league". So why take the risk by giving them a place to showcase their very raw skills that won't be useful for at least a couple of years?
bear2be2
PaperBear89 said:

Fre3dombear said:

Walter is actually regressing from a low level.

Hope he has a short memory next week

It's a Catch 22 for college coaches. Despite my saying we should get out of the McD all American arms race, I think coaches participate because 1 and done means your program put another player in the NBA. Of course that can backfire on you if some of them are duds. In reality, what happens is most 1 and dones don't really pan out until a few years with the big boys ... i.e. Jared Allen Texas/Cavaliers. Probably due to physical maturity plus more competition from foreign born players entering the draft. So, basically very few college coaches should be taking credit and saying "Yeah I put *that* guy in the league". So why take the risk by giving them a place to showcase their very raw skills that won't be useful for at least a couple of years?
I just want to win in March. If you can do that with one-and-dones, great. I remain unconvinced that that's the best route to that destination, however.

Even the most talented freshmen are frustrating, inconsistent players.
DP4LIFE
After watching most games this season, the good news is this team has by and large bounced back from a poor game with decent stretches of consistency.
Not sure what's going on at the start of these games - as this team seems to start slow whether home or away.
Hopefully we get some decent match-ups in the draw and at least two of our shooters find their strokes.
boognish_bear
Crawfoso1973
Low-key relieved we are headed back to Waco, and pretty sure CSD is too. Honestly the juice not worth the squeeze. Instead of being forced to play 3 games in a row, getting beat up by a physical Houston team, we get another day to mentally and physically prepare for the games that matter. Sic e'm.
WA Jim
Well, hate to say I called it - 1 win in the Conference tournament and now my call of one in win in the national tournament has me a little nervous. But we will get one and then get bounced. Broken record, but we don't play good defense, we don't rebound well at the defensive end. So, when we turn the ball over and we send up bricks, we lose. It's that simple. I have been pretty negative on this team all year - maybe a little unfairly. But they just are soooo frustrating to watch with all the bonehead mistakes, bad defense and freshman follies. We need more big tough enforcer guys like Rico and Vital and less one and done dudes.
Crawfoso1973
We are headed to a 3 seed and have had a wildly successful season in the toughest conference in America. Our fans have become so spoiled and entitled, it's sickening.
Crawfoso1973
Lohner has actually been terrific the past 2 games and solid the one before. Would love him to go on a run for us in the tourney and prove me wrong.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Low-key relieved we are headed back to Waco, and pretty sure CSD is too. Honestly the juice not worth the squeeze. Instead of being forced to play 3 games in a row, getting beat up by a physical Houston team, we get another day to mentally and physically prepare for the games that matter. Sic e'm.
I'm not upset we lost, but the way we lost can't be interpreted as anything but a bad thing. We didn't even compete.

Got off to our usual listless start and piddled around for 40 minutes, like we weren't even interested in being there. That effort last night gets you sent home in the first round of the NCAA tournament, much less the first weekend.

It was disappointing to see a team with supposed championship aspirations look like it didn't even belong on the floor with a very tough, disciplined and well-coached but not exceptionally talented Iowa State team.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

We are headed to a 3 seed and have had a wildly successful season in the toughest conference in America. Our fans have become so spoiled and entitled, it's sickening.
Wildly successful is hyperbole. It's been a successful regular season. Wildly successful should be reserved for campaigns that end with conference hardware and/or a deep tournament run.
Crawfoso1973
I would normally feel the same away about suck a lackluster effort, but this has always been CSD's M.O. in the big 12 tourney. Even our 2021 Natty year we didn't even advance past the first game. Holding out Love was a powerful tell regarding CSD's motivation to advance past ISU.
Crawfoso1973
We will be a 3 seed which is a monster success when you zoom out historically and look at our program over the past decades. Thank God for CSD and be grateful that making the tournament has become a routine annual occurrence under his leadership.
boognish_bear
bear2be2
WA Jim said:

Well, hate to say I called it - 1 win in the Conference tournament and now my call of one in win in the national tournament has me a little nervous. But we will get one and then get bounced. Broken record, but we don't play good defense, we don't rebound well at the defensive end. So, when we turn the ball over and we send up bricks, we lose. It's that simple. I have been pretty negative on this team all year - maybe a little unfairly. But they just are soooo frustrating to watch with all the bonehead mistakes, bad defense and freshman follies. We need more big tough enforcer guys like Rico and Vital and less one and done dudes.
This team, like last year's, is good. But there's a cavernous gap separating it from greatness.

It has glaring, ceiling-lowering and apparently unfixable flaws that have literally persisted all season. It's made for a frustrating watch and will likely make for a disappointing March.

I hope these guys surprise me, but I see the Sweet Sixteen as being our ceiling at this point and I have serious doubts we'll get that far.
Russell Gym
Crawfoso1973 said:

We will be a 3 seed which is a monster success when you zoom out historically and look at our program over the past decades. Thank God for CSD and be grateful that making the tournament has become a routine annual occurrence under his leadership.

Totally agree. We are in almost every single year, and quite often have a good enough team to make a run. Sometimes, we make that run.

Drew has built an elite program.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

This season is wildly successful in the context of our historically awful program. It's not wildly successful in the context of the post-turnaround Scott Drew era.

I don't think we should forget where came from and lose all perspective in a year like this. But we also shouldn't judge our team based on standards that aren't really applicable in 2024.

This has been a successful year. I'll push back against anyone who suggests otherwise. But we're past the point IMO of calling seasons that end with double-digit losses and no trophies wildly successful. We've had too many seasons that have actually fit that description to apply it to seasons like last year's or this one.

The good news is we have a chance in the next two weeks to make it one. But we're going to have to play a hell of lot better than we have our last three games to do so.
bear2be2
Russell Gym said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Totally agree. We are in almost every single year, and quite often have a good enough team to make a run. Sometimes, we make that run.

Drew has built an elite program.
Drew has built a great program, but elite programs win in March. We've got to get back in a habit of doing that to earn that title.
Russell Gym
bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

This team, like last year's, is good. But there's a cavernous gap separating it from greatness.

It has glaring, ceiling-lowering and apparently unfixable flaws that have literally persisted all season. It's made for a frustrating watch and will likely make for a disappointing March.

I hope these guys surprise me, but I see the Sweet Sixteen as being our ceiling at this point and I have serious doubts we'll get that far.

Amongst the best programs in the country, all but four fan bases will be frustrated and experience a disappointing March. Maybe all but one.

But, I'd rather be an elite program with that high bar for disappointment - instead of our wilderness year from 1951 to Drew's success.
bear2be2
Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

Amongst the best programs in the country, all but four fan bases will be frustrated and experience a disappointing March. Maybe all but one.

But, I'd rather be an elite program with that high bar for disappointment - instead of our wilderness year from 1951 to Drew's success.
Everyone would prefer that. But elite is reserved for a level of success that we have only sporadically enjoyed -- and deep runs in March are a requirement. Our fans toss that term around too loosely.

Scott Drew has done an amazing job with our program. But the only stretch in his time here where we were truly elite was 2020-22. We flirted with it in one off seasons before that and have reverted back to a notch below that since.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

Everyone would prefer that. But elite is reserved for a level of success that we have only sporadically enjoyed -- and deep runs in March are a requirement. Our fans toss that term around too loosely.

Scott Drew has done an amazing job with our program. But the only stretch in his time here where we were truly elite was 2020-22. We flirted with it in one off seasons before that and have reverted back to a notch below that since.

I love this point. It honestly made me think and consider the best runs in our program 2010-2012 and 2019-2022 have not been characterized by one and dones.

The correlation of the best runs under drew are savvy experienced teams. Drew needs to get back to working on building those.
Russell Gym
Agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.
bear2be2
Russell Gym said:

Agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.
Fair enough. And same here.
historian
bear2be2 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Wildly successful is hyperbole. It's been a successful regular season. Wildly successful should be reserved for campaigns that end with conference hardware and/or a deep tournament run.

Agreed.

2020 was "wildly successful" in that it was the best we had ever had (ranked #1 for 5 weeks, winning in Lawrence, & a Big 12 record 23 game winning streak helped).

2021 was also "wildly successful" because it was even better. Any season that ends with a natty deserves that label.

We have not had a "wildly successful" season since then. We've had games or stretches that one might describe that way but that label is a superlative. The best that can be said is that we have been moderately successful since the natty. I trust Drew can bring us to "wildly successful" again but it might take some time as everyone navigates NIL & the portal.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TXBEAR_bf
I think Wright as a PG for 3-4 years is a big win. It's really hard to rely on a one year transfer or freshman that is gone in one year to carry your team. From all accounts he is a really scorer and distributor. We desperately need a scorer at Pg. see is is really good butt not as much as an outside threat to keep defenses honest.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
historian
bear2be2 said:

Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

I hate to quibble, but by that metric no one is elite. How many blue bloods failed to achieve those goals in some years, or even for a stretch of 2-3 years? How many didn't even make the tournament in a given season? (One recent season had multiple left out including Duke & Kentucky). Baylor is elite because we still are getting 20+ wins per season (while playing a tough ooc schedule) & finishing near the top of the best conference in the country year after year. Yes, we want hardware & banners and don't get them. But we do contend for them and definitely are in the conversation each year.

This year, we finished above .500 in league play which is very good, under the circumstances.
Quinton
Has crazy good skills. Butler level offensive skills with better passing as a more natural pg. Size limitations only thing keeping him from obvious one and done which should work in our favor
Crawfoso1973
Quinton said:

Has crazy good skills. Butler level offensive skills with better passing as a more natural pg. Size limitations only thing keeping him from obvious one and done which should work in our favor
Looks like maybe the sweet spot for us. NBA level ability who can elevate our program, but measurables preventing from being one-and-done.
bear2be2
historian said:

bear2be2 said:

Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

I hate to quibble, but by that metric no one is elite. How many blue bloods failed to achieve those goals in some years, or even for a stretch of 2-3 years? How many didn't even make the tournament in a given season? (One recent season had multiple left out including Duke & Kentucky). Baylor is elite because we still are getting 20+ wins per season (while playing a tough ooc schedule) & finishing near the top of the best conference in the country year after year. Yes, we want hardware & banners and don't get them. But we do contend for them and definitely are in the conversation each year.

This year, we finished above .500 in league play which is very good, under the circumstances.
Everyone gets upset from time to time. But when early tournament exits become a trend, you're not elite. Everyone bags on Kansas. They have never had three first-weekend exits in a row under Bill Self. When you can expect a run to the Sweet 16 or better that regularly, you're elite.

Our fans also trash programs like Gonzaga and Houston, which have literally had entire classes of players go their entire careers without losing in the first weekend of a tournament. That's a level of consistency we've never achieved.

Our national title run was awesome. But it was an outlier for our program. That's our only Final Four appearance, and you have to go back to 2012 to find our last Elite Eight run before that.

We have a really good program. This is not meant to denigrate what we've done. But we're not elite. Our regular season success and consistency makes us a top 15 program. But you have to win in March to be elite, and we haven't done that consistently.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Quinton said:

Looks like maybe the sweet spot for us. NBA level ability who can elevate our program, but measurables preventing from being one-and-done.
A la Tweety Carter -- our first McDonald's All-American. I'd love to have a point guard contribute for four years again like we had with Tweety. Wright and Little could be a really good combo if we can keep them around for a few years together.
historian
bear2be2 said:

historian said:

bear2be2 said:

Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

Everyone gets upset from time to time. But when early tournament exits become a trend, you're not elite. Everyone bags on Kansas. They have never had three first-weekend exits in a row under Bill Self. When you can expect a run to the Sweet 16 or better every that regularly, you're elite.

Our fans also trash programs like Gonzaga and Houston, which have literally had entire classes of players go their entire careers without losing in the first weekend of a tournament. That's a level of consistency we've never achieved.

Our national title run was awesome. But it was outlier for our program. That's our only Final Four appearance, and you have to go back to 2012 to find our last Elite Eight run before that.

We have a really good program. This is not meant to denigrate what we've done. But we're not elite. Our regular season success and consistency makes us a top 15 program. But you have to win in March to be elite, and we haven't done that consistently.

Kansas has also never had 8 conference losses in a single season before.

I guess it all depends on how one defines "elite".
bear2be2
historian said:

bear2be2 said:

historian said:

bear2be2 said:

Russell Gym said:

bear2be2 said:

WA Jim said:

Everyone gets upset from time to time. But when early tournament exits become a trend, you're not elite. Everyone bags on Kansas. They have never had three first-weekend exits in a row under Bill Self. When you can expect a run to the Sweet 16 or better every that regularly, you're elite.

Our national title run was awesome. But it was outlier for our program. That's our only Final Four appearance, and you have to go back to 2012 to find our last Elite Eight run before that.

Kansas has also never had 8 conference losses in a single season before.

I guess it all depends on how one defines "elite".
This year's Kansas team isn't a vintage Jayhawks squad. We've been talking about that here all season long. But if we're trying to argue that that's not an elite program or that we're their equal based on one "down" year, what are we even doing here?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.