Nicknames for new arena?

10,824 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TDSteele
Media Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is decided then.

We shall call it "The Habitat."

:-)
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
BearPa
Jellystone.
BearPa
Media Bear
BearPa said:

Jellystone.
Not yourrre ... av-er-age arena ...
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
HoustonBear15
The Bear Pit is the name of the student section, which I'm hoping will have much better placement in the new arena.
Timbear
Why waste $ on a new Arena when we can't beat low level teams?
Malbec
The GreenHouse
Trevormc
Oso Arena
RegentCoverup
Timbear said:

So we can use the Arena as a recruiting tool to fire the coach and hire one that can.

You been around college sports long?
BaylorRocks
DubDub said:

I think it would be hard to find something better than the den, or maybe the cave.

I am going to miss the nipple though. I thought it looked great while driving down university park and from aerial shots.

I also always liked it from the inside. It wa just the concourses that need major work.
Like The Den !
BUbearinARK
Minerbear said:

If you don't know about "the pit" or the New Mexico lobos you need a refresher course in college hoops!! That's a very tough place to play! And their fans put Baylor fans to shame !
Hmmm.

Maybe we could go with 'Pit of Despair'
4th and Inches
Bears den
Michibear
The rare bear lair of despair.

A seat in the student section would of course be the rare bear lair of despair chair.
Tiny Elvis
The HotBox
The Old BEAR
Timbear said:

Men's basketball is not big in Waco. Not know and never has been.
High school games draw 200 on the average night.
The building will not change that.
Unless the BBF is hiding something, the interest is just not gaining traction.
I strongly suspect my Women's tickets will be in the Ferrell Center 5 years from now.
Fozzie
Doug said:

Timbear said:

I strongly suspect my Women's tickets will be in the Ferrell Center 5 years from now.
we get it Douglas you and Mulkey are stuck in the past and have no vision. Leave this decision to the adults.
CSIBear
Timbear said:

hahahahaha
Dia del DougO

The Green House.
The Old BEAR
Fozzie said:

Doug said:

Timbear said:

we get it Douglas you and Mulkey are stuck in the past and have no vision. Leave this decision to the adults.
Mulkey wins Conference and National titles in the Ferrell Center.
Maybe the problem is your coach and not the building.
Yankee Bear
Silo's Sister (and offer Jo Jo Bees and Chocolate Chips as new concession items).
xiledinok
If Baylor uses it as an opportunity to have a corporate sponsor like they absolutely should, the nickname should come from the sponsor.

The current facility is not an excuse for the men to not make the tournament. Our coach is still looking for his breakout conference championship. It gets harder to sell his program each new season. A decade and a half is a good sample size for the stat guys.
The Old BEAR
xiledinok said:

If Baylor uses it as an opportunity to have a corporate sponsor like they absolutely should, the nickname should come from the sponsor.

The current facility is not an excuse for the men to not make the tournament. Our coach is still looking for his breakout conference championship. It gets harder to sell his program each new season. A decade and a half is a good sample size for the stat guys.
Exactly. If you can't win it all in 15 years.... you never will.
Extremely nice guy.. yes.
Award winning coach... NO.
Reaching the Round of 8 is more luck of the Bracket, than being elite.
Only Basketball loyalist get excited about Scott Drew Basketball.
The butts in the seats prove it.
Fozzie
Doug said:

xiledinok said:

critical thinking is not your strong suit, I fully understand.

About 10 teams are trying to win in WBB. You can celebrate the 2nd highest paid coach in her sport with a bloated budget that spends money like a shopaholic on Black Friday, making the Elite 8 each year only to get bounced by some 3 point shooting team if you want.

In MBB, we have 350 teams trying hard to win. Certainly every P5 school is putting significant resources towards that end. Drew is 48 and in his coaching prime and has already proven himself as a winner during the learning years. Give him a new fieldhouse and an evolving roster that places emphasis on 3 pt shooting (Drew understands the game is evolving and changed his roster accordingly), there is no telling what he could do in his prime. Perhaps stumble into a national title like a Jay Wright.

The men do outdraw the women by the way. I root for both teams to do well. But hopefully our AD is prioritizing the men and football because those two sports are the only ones that matter financially.
The Old BEAR
Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

About 10 teams are trying to win in WBB. You can celebrate the 2nd highest paid coach in her sport with a bloated budget that spends money like a shopaholic on Black Friday, making the Elite 8 each year only to get bounced by some 3 point shooting team if you want.

In MBB, we have 350 teams trying hard to win. Certainly every P5 school is putting significant resources towards that end. Drew is 48 and in his coaching prime and has already proven himself as a winner during the learning years. Give him a new fieldhouse and an evolving roster that places emphasis on 3 pt shooting (Drew understands the game is evolving and changed his roster accordingly), there is no telling what he could do in his prime. Perhaps stumble into a national title like a Jay Wright.

The men do outdraw the women by the way. I root for both teams to do well. But hopefully our AD is prioritizing the men and football because those two sports are the only ones that matter financially.
And it galls you that not a dime of that women's basketball money can be touched. It is "Ear Marked" givings that are marked Women's Basketball. Booster Club and Excellence Funds for women's basketball keep the program where it is. Your big problem is that the men's supporters don't give.
CSIBear
Doug said:

Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

And it galls you that not a dime of that women's basketball money can be touched. It is "Ear Marked" givings that are marked Women's Basketball. Booster Club and Excellence Funds for women's basketball keep the program where it is. Your big problem is that the men's supporters don't give.
This is why I love this board, it exposes me to "the other side." I am part of the 99% who are immensely proud of the Lady Bear achievements but even though we have watched a few games just can't get into that style of ball. I love what coach Drew has done here at Baylor. When I become wealthy enough I will be happy to donate to Baylor Basketball...but I couldn't imagine marking it for Men's or Women's only. How insane. But I guess to each their own.
The Old BEAR
CSIBear said:

Doug said:

Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

This is why I love this board, it exposes me to "the other side." I am part of the 99% who are immensely proud of the Lady Bear achievements but even though we have watched a few games just can't get into that style of ball. I love what coach Drew has done here at Baylor. When I become wealthy enough I will be happy to donate to Baylor Basketball...but I couldn't imagine marking it for Men's or Women's only. How insane. But I guess to each their
The vast majority of Mens basketball interest comes from the Greater Dallas area. Professional basketball has kindled an interest in the sport among predominantly 25-45 year old fans in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. If big strides are to be realized, the Metroplex fans will need to step up and become the cash cow for his program.
You may not like it... but that's the way it is.
Something for you to ponder and digest. The majority of the posters here are male. Wealthy Alumni have wives. Women have ties to the checking accounts and LOVE women's basketball.
Women's athletics is here to stay. Baylor was extremely smart to get in on the ground floor to subsidize women's sports excellence. Excellence programs consist of money given to a specific sport. Kim has one of the best excellence programs in the nation. She has built an Excellence program that many are in envy of. The jealousy against her success is well documented.
Bear8084
Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

Fully agree and spot on.
possible12
Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

Maybe he can mention that prioritizing publicly, then we can have a full blown, pc, title IX eruption.
possible12
Doug said:

CSIBear said:

Doug said:

Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

This is why I love this board, it exposes me to "the other side." I am part of the 99% who are immensely proud of the Lady Bear achievements but even though we have watched a few games just can't get into that style of ball. I love what coach Drew has done here at Baylor. When I become wealthy enough I will be happy to donate to Baylor Basketball...but I couldn't imagine marking it for Men's or Women's only. How insane. But I guess to each their
The vast majority of Mens basketball interest comes from the Greater Dallas area. Professional basketball has kindled an interest in the sport among predominantly 25-45 year old fans in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. If big strides are to be realized, the Metroplex fans will need to step up and become the cash cow for his program.
Something for you to ponder and digest. The majority of the posters here are male. Wealthy Alumni have wives. Women have ties to the checking accounts and LOVE women's basketball.
Women's athletics is here to stay. Baylor was extremely smart to get in on the ground floor to subsidize women's sports excellence. Excellence programs consist of money given to a specific sport. Kim has one of the best excellence programs in the nation. She has built an Excellence program that many are in envy of. The jealousy against her success is well documented.
At the risk of being screamed at, why do you bold everything?
BUbearinARK
possible12 said:

Doug said:

CSIBear said:

Doug said:

Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

AIf Baylor uses it as an opportunity to have a corporate sponsor like they absolutely should, the nickname should come from the sponsor.

At the risk of being screamed at, why do you bold everything?
I wondered the same thing. At least its not all caps, because that would totally change minds and hearts
Cobretti
We should let Wade Garrett name the new arena...

Michibear
Doug said:

xiledinok said:

In the last 15 years, there has been only one season in which Kansas did not win the conference regular season title (or at least a share of the title).

2002 - Kansas
2003 - Kansas
2004 - Oklahoma State
2005 - Kansas / Oklahoma
2006 - Kansas / Texas
2007 - Kansas
2008 - Kansas / Texas
2009 - Kansas
2010 - Kansas
2011 - Kansas
2012 - Kansas
2013 - Kansas State / Kansas
2014 - Kansas
2015 - Kansas
2016 - Kansas
2017 - Kansas
2018 - Kansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_12_Conference_champions
xiledinok
Michibear said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

In the last 15 years, there has been only one season in which Kansas did not win the conference regular season title (or at least a share of the title).

2002 - Kansas
2003 - Kansas
2004 - Oklahoma State
2005 - Kansas / Oklahoma
2006 - Kansas / Texas
2007 - Kansas
2008 - Kansas / Texas
2009 - Kansas
2010 - Kansas
2011 - Kansas
2012 - Kansas
2013 - Kansas State / Kansas
2014 - Kansas
2015 - Kansas
2016 - Kansas
2017 - Kansas
2018 - Kansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_12_Conference_champions

Need to be finishing higher than 4th with the Big 12 tournament seeding. Everyone else has replaced their coach in the league over that period of time. Drew cannot be missing the tournament and expect to be head coach opening the new arena. We should know that facility appeal wears out.
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

Not sure how many here know it, but the Ferrell has an exact twin in Hawaii... Designed by same guy, same plan.
Hi Chibears2,
Awesome info! Thank you for posting.
OsoCoreyell
Malbec said:

The GreenHouse
This. It looks like a greenhouse. Baylor is green. I like it alot.
FormerFlash
Fozzie said:

Doug said:

xiledinok said:

I'm always amazed when women's basketball fans try to act like there is any comparison between the two sports. Everytime someone tries to compare Geno's UConn streak to Wooden's 88 consecutive I cringe. There are literally 8 women's teams capable of winning a natty each year and they beat every other team by 30+.

The men's tournament has existed since 1939. All four number 1 seeds have made the final four exactly once, in 2008 when Memphis, Kansas, UNC, and UCLA made it. The women's tournament has only been around since 1982 and it's happened 4 times. The talent disparity in women's college basketball is absurd. 7 teams have gone undefeated in men's basketball, none since 1976, and none since the tournament expanded to 64 teams. In women's basketball it's already happened 12 times just since 1973. Our 2012 Lady Bears among that group.

Yes, we're lucky that Baylor is one of the "it" programs that gets that high level talent and get's to be in that elite group. But bagging on Scott Drew for what he hasn't accomplished is ridiculous considering what he has accomplished. I would argue Mulkey only winning 1 national championship out of 4 years with Griner on the team is a huge black mark on her resume. Griner was the most dominant physical presence to ever step foot on a women's college court. Those teams really underperformed.
Sic Everyone.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.