Story Poster
Photo by @Raymond Carlin III
Baylor Basketball

MBB: Washington (0-0) vs Baylor (1-0) Preview & Game Thread

November 6, 2019

#18 Baylor (1-0) plays Washington (0-0) at 8:30pm CST in Anchorage, Alaska on November 8th.  The game will be broadcast on ESPN.  

KenPom Rankings

Washington:   47 overall; 73 offensive efficiency; 26 defensive efficiency

Baylor:  11 overall; 18 offensive efficiency; 17 defensive efficiency

Prediction:  Baylor 71 Washington 67

Coaches

Washington:  Mike Hopkins (50); 48-22; 1 NCAA

Baylor:  Scott Drew (49); 339-219 overall (319-208 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Washington Starters

PG:  Quade Green (SO) 6-0 170 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 asst; 1 st; 45% FG; 42% 3pt; 90% FT (UK transfer)

SG:  Nahziah Carter (JR) 6-6 205 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 48% FG; 31% 3pt; 64% FT

SF:  Jaden McDaniels (FR); 6-9 200 lbs; 19 ppg; 9 reb; 48% FG; 29% 3pt; 71% FT; EYBL stats 5*

PF:  Hameir Wright (JR); 6-9 220 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 1 blk; 27% FG; 24% 3pt; 71% FT 

C:  Isaiah Stewart (FR) 6-9 250 lbs; 18 ppg; 11 reb; 1 blks; 57% FG; 73% FT; EYBL stats 5*

Washington Bench

G:  Elijah Hardy (SO) 6-2 170 lbs; 1 ppg; 50% FG; 50% 3pt

G:  Jamal Bey (SO); 6-6 210 lbs; 1 ppg; 1 reb; 45% FG; 40% 3pt; 54% FT

F:  Raequan Battle (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 37% FG; 34% 3pt; 79% FT; EYBL stats 4*

F:  Nate Roberts (RFR) 6-10 245 lbs; 3 ppg; 4 reb; 1 blk; 44% FG; 50% FT; EYBL stats 3*

Baylor Starters

PG:  Davion Mitchell (R-SO) 6-2 195 lbs; 7 ppg; 5 asst; 50% FG; 25% 3pt

SG:  Jared Butler (SO) 6-3 185 lbs; 30 ppg; 4 reb; 5 asst; 2 st; 71% FG; 67% 3pt; 100% FT

SF:  Macio Teague (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 18 ppg; 10 reb; 3 asst; 58% FG; 67% 3pt

PF:  Freddie Gillespie (SR) 6-9 245 lbs; 14 ppg; 7 reb; 1 blk; 86% FG; 100% FT

C:  Tristan Clark (JR) 6-10 250 lbs; 3 ppg; 4 reb; 33% FG; 50% FT

Baylor Bench

F:   Mark Vital (JR) 6-5 230 lbs; 6 ppg; 5 reb; 29% FG; 50% FT

G:  Devonte Bandoo (SR) 6-3 195 lbs; 15 ppg; 7 reb; 3 asst; 60% FG; 75% 3pt

F:  Matthew Mayer (SO) 6-9 210 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 43% FG; 100% 3pt

F:  Flo Thamba (SO) 6-11 245 lbs;  4 ppg; 5 reb; 1blk; 100% FG

Discussion from...

MBB: Washington (0-0) vs Baylor (1-0) Preview & Game Thread

37,225 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by annejones101
manbear2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rudylaw said:

BU25 said:

Last defensive foul on UW was with 15 min left. Our big guys combine for 10-35. It's not a coincidence. We got more and more aggressive as the 2nd half went on and continued to get hammered on dunk attempts at the rim.

We should've still won the game, but that was Phog level absurdity.
Officials, like they normally do, call a completely different game in the second half. Still, this team seemed to lapse on defense when the offense dried up in the second half... which was the opposite of the first. I Had nothing in transition in the second half at all aside from a near turnover that led to a Bandoo three. This game won't hurt us come March but it's so frustrating to see a complete collapse like that.

I truly believe the refs calls were inconsistent. It is very difficult to defeat a team when our players were tackled at every basket approach on offense. It seemed as if every loose ball contest resulted in a baylor foul which allowed one team to defend aggressively. We have a long basketball season and Drew is better than most in March.
ImmortalTen
Mattieflo said:

Johnny Bear said:

Mattieflo said:

Baylorbears111 said:

No they aren't. This was a loss to an average team.
Hahaha average team...that 5 points you scored down the stretch is exactly what the defending pac12 champs have done to every team in the Hopkins era. Shut that weak stuff down.

You couldn't deal with our length like most teams can't. Just another notch in our belt. Cya!
The top of the Pac 12 = average team in the Big 12.
Lol I missed that memo when Washington whooped Kansas's ass at Kansas in 2017 as well. **** I wish we could play a big 12 team everyday muhahahahaha.
You mean the Kansas team that was in the Final Four two years ago? Or what was the score last time you played Texas Tech who was in the Championship game last year? Or Oklahoma who was in the Final Four three years ago? Has the Pac-12 ever even had a team in the Final Four or play for the championship?

Congrats on being giddy about beating Kansas or Baylor, I'm glad your players were able to get more pumped to play us than we were to play you. But in our conference our goal isn't necessarily to upset someone during the regular season, it's to get to the Final Four or Championship Game or win it all like Kansas has done several times. At the end of the season when UDub is on the bubble for the NCAA tourney all the pundits will be saying the quality win over Baylor will help you get in, but unfortunately for Baylor this loss will just be regarded as an inexplicable bad quality upset loss to a lesser team from a mediocre conference. There is a reason why the Pac-12 is regarded across the board as the weakest P5 conference in the country.
DanaDane
UW got trounced Saturday by unranked Tennessee in Knoxville, 75-62.
setshot
Had we played Washington in Waco I think that we would have beaten them, as well, though without Clark playing well in the paint who knows? He did not alone cost us that game, but he did not help us win it either.
osoprimo
cannot find the Washington post game wrap up that Ashley did - did it got ate?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
osoprimo said:

cannot find the Washington post game wrap up that Ashley did - did it got ate?

https://sicem365.com/s/5569/mbb-podcast-reaction-thread-washington-67-baylor-64/media/36545
Fozzie
Herb1986 said:

Drew is an average coach. Always will be.
how many average coaches are there in the top 10? I must define average a little differently than some do.
setshot
No average coach has as many wins over HOF coaches and coaches considered among the elite as Drew has managed over the past decade.
johnsmith101
That is a really good roster if those 4 non-starters deliver the roles they are capable of delivering. tubemate get-mobdro.com authorityapk.com
ColoradoGRN&GLD
Herb1986 said:

Bump
BaylorOkie
Herb1986 said:

That's good, because it's an average team. So it all works well together.
Hambone
Johnny Bear said:

Herb1986 said:

No, he's better than average, but he does have a pretty obvious ceiling that is below winning a conference title of any kind or getting to a Final Four. He's been at BU long enough for at least one of those to have happened if it was a possibility for him.
Also LOL @ this jackass
"Tang was the Dawg" - 10ydCushion
Johnny Bear
Speaking of jackasses, sorry to see you return to the free board. What happened? Did you run out of people to obnoxiously insult on the pay side?

Believe me I'm the first one in line that hopes after all of these years Drew finally exceeds that ceiling this season (at this point looks like he's got a good chance to), but until then the facts are what they are.
Oldbear83
Not a good idea to call everyone's attention to your worst take of the year, Johnny.

The Bears are about to be ranked #1 in all of college basketball, and you're still not sure if you can support Coach Drew.

When you post manure in print, it's a smart play to leave it alone and hope something less stinky grows to replace it. It's dumb to step in it and make sure everyone knows.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
DanaDane
Really surprised that UW has turned out to be so marginal, just 12-7 through this point in the season. Stewart did turn out to be pretty good though.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
DanaDane said:

Really surprised that UW has turned out to be so marginal, just 12-7 through this point in the season. Stewart did turn out to be pretty good though.
lost 3 of 4 since their 5 star PG transfer from Kentucky (Quade Green) was ruled academically ineligible.
DanaDane
Ashley Hodge said:

DanaDane said:

lost 3 of 4 since their 5 star PG transfer from Kentucky (Quade Green) was ruled academically ineligible.
Didn't realize that. That makes more sense. That roster has a lot of talent, but in CBB a good PG reigns supreme in the construction of a championship level squad.
Johnny Bear
Total mischaracterization of my post OldBear. I was just stating facts and to date, those are the facts. Has nothing to do with "not supporting Drew" & I will REPEAT that I want him to succeed and finally get a championship and/or a Final Four this year as much as anybody.
Oldbear83
Claiming Drew has a "ceiling" below a Final Four is neither supportive nor accurate
Johnny Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Claiming Drew has a "ceiling" below a Final Four is neither supportive nor accurate
I would just say that 16 years is more than a trend. Hope the 17th try is "the charm".
BaylorOkie
There is no need to rehash all of the details, but if you think his 16 years is actually 16 years then I don't know what to tell you. You act like he walked into a blue blood that was humming right along like Bill Self did.
Johnny Bear
BaylorOkie said:

There is no need to rehash all of the details, but if you think his 16 years is actually 16 years then I don't know what to tell you. You act like he walked into a blue blood that was humming right along like Bill Self did.
No, not at all and I fully appreciate that he walked into pile of green glowing nuclear fallout from the Bliss/Dennehey disaster and miraculously turned things around from that in short order which was a tremendous accomplishment. I'm fine with flushing his first four years as if they don't exist as a result. So that leaves us with 12 years. Again, more than a trend.

Happy to see us number 1 and rooting for this to be THE year.
Hambone
Johnny Bear said:

BaylorOkie said:

No, not at all and I fully appreciate that he walked into pile of green glowing nuclear fallout from the Bliss/Dennehey disaster and miraculously turned things around from that in short order which was a tremendous accomplishment. I'm fine with flushing his first four years as if they don't exist as a result. So that leaves us with 12 years. Again, more than a trend.

The reason why your argument is stupid (that Drew has reached his ceiling) is that he now has a team ranked #1 for the 2nd time in 4 seasons. Two of his other teams have made Elite 8s in 2012 and 2010. That's 4 teams in the last 11 seasons who have been/are good enough to win a major conference title (but weren't good enough to beat Kansas) or make a Final Four (but weren't good enough to beat the eventual national champion in the Elite 8). Those were/are all great teams.

So even if this year isn't THE year we reach one of those lofty goals, it stands to reason it will happen soon. If we consistently are rolling out teams ranked in the top 5-10 range on kenpom, we will win championships and make Final Fours. It WILL happen. There's no reason to say a coach who has a team currently ranked #1 can't accomplishment something, other than the fact that he hasn't done it yet. And that's faulty logic, because nobody ever does something until they do it.

Cliffs: If you think a coach with 4 teams that were/are capable of winning Big 12/making Final Four in the last 11 seasons has reached his ceiling, I don't know what to tell ya...
"Tang was the Dawg" - 10ydCushion
Oldbear83
Johnny Bear said:

BaylorOkie said:

Your posts really do not demonstrate a good grasp of how good Coach Drew is.

So OK, let's look at the numbers.

Baylor has had twelve (12) NCAA Tournament appearances in school history. Drew has eight of them at Baylor.

Since 2008, Drew has averaged 24 wins a season.

Under Drew, Baylor is one of only six Power-5 teams to record 18+ wins in every season since 2008. The Bears have been to the postseason in eight consecutive seasons, which is tied for the nation's 10th-longest active streak and sixth-longest streak among Power-5 teams.

In 2017 Baylor started unranked but reached #1 in the AP poll after a 15-0 start, the fastest unranked-to-#1 rise in AP history.

Drew has done more than most "successful" D1 coaches, and is GOAT at Baylor in every metric for Men's Basketball. Drew gets offers literally every year, but has been rock-solid loyal to Baylor, a quality many people take for granted but should remember.

If this is the season Drew gets a Final Four team, it won't be because he got lucky. It would be the due reward for a lot of work, faith and character.

historian
Great post!

I cannot understand why any Baylor fan would be critical of CSD. He is most definitely Baylor's GOAT in MBB, without question.

We are #1 now because we have great talent and great coaching. Whatever we achieve this season will be for those reasons. Luck might be a factor in 1-2 individual games but cannot sustain a program throughout a season. The idea is absurd.

And it's not that Drew hasn't made mistakes. Of course he has; he's human (not that I can name one). It's what he has done after.

We are very blessed to have this coach and these players.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
annejones101
amazing thread thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.