Story Poster
Photo by Raymond Carlin III-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

MBB: #1 Baylor (23-1; 12-0) at OU (16-9; 6-6) Preview & Game Thread

February 17, 2020

#1 Baylor (23-1; 12-0) travels to play Oklahoma (16-9; 6-6) on Tuesday February 18 at 8pm CST in the Norman, Oklahoma. The game will be televised on ESPN2.  

KenPom/NET Rankings

Oklahoma:  35 overall; 52 offensive efficiency; 49 defensive efficiency; 45 NET

Baylor:  4 overall; 25 offensive efficiency; 3 defensive efficiency; 2 NET

Prediction:  Baylor 69 Oklahoma 65

Coaches

Oklahoma:  Lon Kruger (67) 655-418 (176-114 at OU); 19 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; 2 FFs

Baylor:  Scott Drew (49); 361-220 overall (341-209 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Oklahoma Starters

PG:  Jamal Bienemy (SO) 6-5 190 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 34% FG; 23% 3pt; 75% FT

SG:  Austin Reaves (JR); 6-5 200 lbs; 14 ppg; 5 reb; 3 asst; 37% FG; 26% 3pt; 83% FT

SF:  Alondes Williams (JR) 6-5 205 lbs; 7 ppg; 2 reb; 43% FG; 28% 3pt; 64% FT

PF:  Brady Manek (JR); 6-9 230 lbs; 16 ppg; 6 reb; 48% FG; 42% 3pt; 81% FT

C:  Kristian Doolittle (SR) 6-7 235 lbs; 16 ppg; 9 reb; 2 asst; 44% FG; 40% 3pt; 85% FT

Oklahoma Bench

G:  De’Vion Harmon (FR) 6-1 200 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 38% FG; 36% 3pt; 70% FT

F:  Jalen Hill (FR) 6-7 225 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 40% FG; 23% pt; 67% FT

F:  Victor Iwuakor (FR) 6-7 215 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 49% FG; 33% 3pt; 72% FT

Baylor Starters

PG:  Davion Mitchell (R-SO) 6-2 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 4 asst; 2 st; 42% FG; 33% 3pt; 66% FT

SG:  Jared Butler (SO) 6-3 185 lbs; 15 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 2 st; 42% FG; 38% 3pt; 82% FT

SF:  Macio Teague (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 14 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 41% FG; 36% 3pt; 83% FT

PF:  Mark Vital (JR) 6-5 230 lbs; 6 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 2 steals; 1 blk; 45% FG; 44% FT

C:  Freddie Gillespie (SR) 6-9 245 lbs; 10 ppg; 9 reb; 2 blk; 56% FG; 71% FT

Baylor Bench

G:  Devonte Bandoo (SR) 6-3 195 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 40% FG; 40% 3pt; 68% FT

F:  Matt Mayer (SO) 6-9 210 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 38% FG; 40% 3pt; 70% FT

F:  Tristan Clark (JR) 6-10 250 lbs; 4 ppg; 3 reb; 45% FG; 65% FT

C:  Flo Thamba (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 1 blk; 48% FG; 56% FT

Picks of the Week

Grayson 68-42

Kansas over Iowa State

WVU over OSU

TCU over Texas

Texas Tech over Kansas State

Marquette over Creighton

Seton Hall over Butler

Purdue over Wisconsin 

Rutgers over Michigan

Nova over DePaul

Baylor over OU 65-61

Ashley 66-42

Kansas over Iowa State

WVU over OSU

Texas over TCU

Texas Tech over Kansas State

Xavier over st Johns

Creighton over Marquette

Seton Hall over Butler

Nova over DePaul

Baylor over OU 72-64

Discussion from...

MBB: #1 Baylor (23-1; 12-0) at OU (16-9; 6-6) Preview & Game Thread

24,656 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CHP Bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just made Big12 history! 23 game win streak BABY!!!
CHP Bear
Jacques Strap said:

Very good road win against a team with talent desperate for a signature win
Yes
BearlySober
Love it love it love it love it!!!

Sic em Bears!!!
Johnny Bear
Wow! 23 in a row for a new Big 12 record!

It's also unbelievable to me that even with an incredible feat like that, the pressure is still on to beat Kansas this Saturday if we want the chance to win the Big 12 out right. Doesn't seem fair.
OsoVerde
I thought Clark had some real bright moments on the offensive end tonight. He passed out of the double ten well and had a good feel for the basket on his shot. He keeps improving and we could start having a legitimate threat in the post.
txrangers
Finally we can look forward to Saturday now. Going to be electric atmosphere.
gone to Tickfaw
we've swept OU, Texas. Now let's sweep Kansas and WVU. Wow... what a season!
EvilTroyAndAbed
Johnny Bear said:

It's also unbelievable to me that even with an incredible feat like that, the pressure is still on to beat Kansas this Saturday if we want the chance to win the Big 12 out right. Doesn't seem fair.

Nearly every year Kansas wins the Big 12, they lose 3, 4 or 5 games. This year, they've only lost to us. Kinda sucks they are having the best conference season in years. But I'm confident in Saturday.
ColoradoGRN&GLD
With the way we and KU are playing, it's likely that the conference champ might have to have no more than 1 loss. Even then, it might end up as a co-championship. Absolutely wild
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Johnny Bear said:

Nearly every year Kansas wins the Big 12, they lose 3, 4 or 5 games. This year, they've only lost to us. Kinda sucks they are having the best conference season in years. But I'm confident in Saturday.
I think it just speaks to the mediocrity of teams 3-5 this year and the ineptitude of 6-10. This is a really weak Big 12 outside of Baylor and Kansas, who are legit Final Four contenders.

Even the other "good" teams have major flaws. West Virginia can't win on the road and Tech struggles to finish games.
MommaBear
Anyone know what our record is when Game Day comes to Waco, for football OR basketball? They don't seem to bring us any good luck. Am I the only one wishing they weren't coming to town?
BearTruth13
Looking back at the past few years, Kansas has won the conference with records like 13-5, 14-4 and at best 15-3. Of course this is the year they are going to go 17-1 or 16-2. I wish one of losers in the rest of the conference would step up for an upset.
bear2be2
MommaBear said:

Anyone know what our record is when Game Day comes to Waco, for football OR basketball? They don't seem to bring us any good luck. Am I the only one wishing they weren't coming to town?
I don't think that will have a whole lot of impact on the game, to be honest. This team is too mature/poised to let that be a factor.

If we lose Saturday, it will be because we got outplayed by a really good team, not because of any outside factors.
SIC EM 94
MommaBear said:

Great exposure for Baylor to have them here. Baylor has yet to win or lose a game because of Game Day being on campus.
CHP Bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

With the way we and KU are playing, it's likely that the conference champ might have to have no more than 1 loss. Even then, it might end up as a co-championship. Absolutely wild
This is my take, if we win or tie Big 12 regular season, and run deep in K.C., Drew is coach of the year. He has done a super job this year. Just my opinion.
Jacques Strap
OsoVerde said:

I thought Clark had some real bright moments on the offensive end tonight. He passed out of the double ten well and had a good feel for the basket on his shot. He keeps improving and we could start having a legitimate threat in the post.

He played really well tonight. Hope he continues to heal and find his game.
boognish_bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Can't ask a guy like butler to not shoot the ball. The light could come on at any moment and you want him to know he has the teams confidence when the game is on the line.

You are looking very smart sir
boognish_bear
OsoVerde said:

Thought the same. Man....if he catches fire now look out!
boognish_bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

It will be cool for the conference if BU and KU both end up getting one seeds in the tourney
ColoradoGRN&GLD
CHP Bear said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

This is my take, if we win or tie Big 12 regular season, and run deep in K.C., Drew is coach of the year. He has done a super job this year. Just my opinion.
Drew has to be the front runner for CotY. He completely changed defensive philosophies, constructed a roster that only features 2 Texans but has 4 transfers playing heavy minutes and contributing all over the court, and just wins. Just set a new Big12 win streak record. Spent the most time as #1 so he's getting everyone's best shot every game. What other coach has anything close to that this year?
ColoradoGRN&GLD
boognish_bear said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Can't ask a guy like butler to not shoot the ball. The light could come on at any moment and you want him to know he has the teams confidence when the game is on the line.

You are looking very smart sir
Haha. I don't know about that. I just know that ballers ball. And Butler is a bonafide baller
txrangers
MommaBear said:

Know we beat Texas when they came here in 2010 at the Ferrell.
boognish_bear
CHP Bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

CHP Bear said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Drew has to be the front runner for CotY. He completely changed defensive philosophies, constructed a roster that only features 2 Texans but has 4 transfers playing heavy minutes and contributing all over the court, and just wins. Just set a new Big12 win streak record. Spent the most time as #1 so he's getting everyone's best shot every game. What other coach has anything close to that this year?
I'm with you. Drew has our vote but we don't count in the tally. No doubt he is front runner now.
historian
bear2be2 said:

MommaBear said:

I don't think that will have a whole lot of impact on the game, to be honest. This team is too mature/poised to let that be a factor.

If we lose Saturday, it will be because we got outplayed by a really good team, not because of any outside factors.
MommaBear, CGD was in Waco in 2014 for the K State game (& Big 12 title) & we won. They were in Waco again for the OU games in 2015 & 2019 and we lost both.

I don't think they have any bearing on the game. They do have a big positive impact on the school and city with the PR. bear2be2 is correct.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CHP Bear
boognish_bear said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

It will be cool for the conference if BU and KU both end up getting one seeds in the tourney
But, but, butt Tampon, Pom Pom and CPIs won't allow it with our strength of schedule.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.