Story Poster
Photo by @Jay Biggerstaff
Baylor Basketball

No. 1 Baylor (24-1; 13-0) vs No. 3 KU (23-3; 12-1) Preview & Game Thread

February 19, 2020

#1 Baylor (24-1;13-0) hosts #3 Kansas (23-3; 12-1) Saturday February 22 at 11am CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom/NET Rankings

Kansas:  1 overall; 11 offensive efficiency; 2 defensive efficiency; 4 NET

Baylor:  2 overall; 22 offensive efficiency; 3 defensive efficiency; 2 NET

Prediction:  Baylor 64 Kansas 63

Coaches

Kansas:  Bill Self (57); 695- 214 (496-109 at KU) 21 NCAAs; 13 Sweet 16; 10 Elite 8; 3 Final 4; 1 NC

Baylor:  Scott Drew (49); 362-220 overall (342-209 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Kansas Starters

PG:  Devon Dotson (SO) 6-2 185 lbs; 18 ppg; 4 asst; 4 asst; 2 st; 47% FG; 31% 3pt; 81% FT

SG:  Isaiah Moss (SR) 6-5 210 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 41% FG; 37% 3pt; 89% FT

SF:  Ochai Agbaji (SO); 6-5 210 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 43% FG; 35% 3pt; 65% FT

PF:  Marcus Garrett (JR) 6-5 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 5 asst; 2 st; 46% FG; 35% 3pt; 63% FT

C:  Udoka Azubuike (SR) 7-0 270 lbs; 13 ppg; 10 reb; 3 blks; 73% FG; 43% FT

Kansas Bench

F:  David McCormack (FR); 6-10 265 lbs; 7 ppg; 4 reb; 55% FG; 82% FT

G:  Christian Braun (FR) 6-6 205 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 42% FG; 44% 3pt; 71% FT

F:  Tristan Enaruna (FR) 6-8 200 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 reb; 35% FG; 25% 3pt; 50% FT

Baylor Starters

PG:  Davion Mitchell (R-SO) 6-2 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 4 asst; 2 st; 42% FG; 32% 3pt; 67% FT

SG:  Jared Butler (SO) 6-3 185 lbs; 16 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 2 st; 42% FG; 38% 3pt; 80% FT

SF:  Macio Teague (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 14 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 41% FG; 36% 3pt; 83% FT

PF:  Mark Vital (JR) 6-5 230 lbs; 6 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 2 steals; 1 blk; 46% FG; 44% FT

C:  Freddie Gillespie (SR) 6-9 245 lbs; 10 ppg; 9 reb; 2 blk; 55% FG; 71% FT

Baylor Bench

G:  Devonte Bandoo (SR) 6-3 195 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 38% 3pt; 70% FT

F:  Matt Mayer (SO) 6-9 210 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 38% FG; 39% 3pt; 70% FT

F:  Tristan Clark (JR) 6-10 250 lbs; 4 ppg; 3 reb; 1 blk; 47% FG; 65% FT

This article is sponsored by Centex Bookkeeping.

Discussion from...

No. 1 Baylor (24-1; 13-0) vs No. 3 KU (23-3; 12-1) Preview & Game Thread

30,887 Views | 278 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
CaliByWayOfKS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hell of a way to close it out to cut it to 3 points.

Think KU was up 11 at around 3 min or so too
Johnny Bear
Jacques Strap said:

Nice run here late in the half
True, but we obviously can't afford another half of missing open looks and missing free throws or it will definitely end in an "L".
wuzzybear
D is turning it up and now the lack of O production has got to change. I don't think anybody has scored 34 pts on us in a half. KU all that is advertised. Not sure how Drew will adjust to Banookie in 2nd half but is a must. It is just too easy. Got to guard him tight and close out fast on the 3 ball. If any team can do it we can.
CHP Bear
Johnny Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

True, but we obviously can't afford another half of missing open looks and missing free throws or it will definitely end in an "L".
Exactly. Plus find a solution to Abaz....
wuzzybear
Johnny Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

You got it. But this is what I have feared all year i.e. we win 23 in a row and to keep that going is so so so hard to do. Rather lose to em today than in the tourney. Self is a brilliant coach. He knows his players and putting Dotson and Garret in for the last 2 min with 2 fouls is a risk he was willing to take. That is why Mitchell was able to get the layup on the other end. He knew they were unlikely to put him at the line. So far I think Vital has 1 fould and none for Gillespie which means he can be more aggressive in the 2nd half. I AM COUNTING ON IT GUYS.
HoustonBear15
This is cute and all but I feel like we could've done a little better for the halftime show of a top 3 matchup
HoustonBear15
HoustonBear15 said:

This is cute and all but I feel like we could've done a little better for the halftime show of a top 3 matchup
Wait, okay these kids are actually kinda cool
BearTruth13
I don't care if we lose at some point. I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later.

But not today. I want a Big 12 championship. This is the game that counts to make that happen.
Johnny Bear
wuzzybear said:

Johnny Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

You got it. But this is what I have feared all year i.e. we win 23 in a row and to keep that going is so so so hard to do. Rather lose to em today than in the tourney. Self is a brilliant coach. He knows his players and putting Dotson and Garret in for the last 2 min with 2 fouls is a risk he was willing to take. That is why Mitchell was able to get the layup on the other end. He knew they were unlikely to put him at the line. So far I think Vital has 1 fould and none for Gillespie which means he can be more aggressive in the 2nd half. I AM COUNTING ON IT GUYS.
Good point, plus Azubuki isn't a good free throw shooter. If he catches it with two feet in the paint, make him earn it from the line - especially with fouls to give.
whitetrash
Just spotted Bowlsby in the concourse. Couldn't lose my spot in the concession line to ask where the hell is our $$.
Johnny Bear
BearTruth13 said:

I don't care if we lose at some point. I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later.

But not today. I want a Big 12 championship. This is the game that counts to make that happen.
I'm with you. I know others try to minimize the importance of conference titles, but to me they DO matter and it's embarrassing as all get out that we haven't won one in going on 70 years. That monkey needs to be removed from our back.
Jacques Strap
Johnny Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

I'm with you. I know others try to minimize the importance of conference titles, but to me they DO matter and it's embarrassing as all get out that we haven't won one in going on 70 years. That monkey needs to be removed from our back.

I agree. I'd really love to win the Big12.
wuzzybear
Teague must be just unable to go now. It's a big friggin deal w/o him. I feel like a healthy Teague is the difference right now.
BUbackerinET
Nice 6-0 run there Bears! Think we need to box Azumbuke, front and behind, we really have no answer for him, so just contain him. All he can do is dunk offensively, he has no ball skills and no shot-deny him the ball. We are better than them top to bottom, we need to prove it in the 2nd half.
wuzzybear
Shooting:
FT 54%
FG 44%
3 ball: 33%

This ain't gonna cut it guys.
CaliByWayOfKS
Ouch... Mitchell missed maybe a 1-2 foot floater...
Jacques Strap
Rough start to the half
CaliByWayOfKS
2 fouls by Vital in less than basically 30 sec... First wasn't a foul at all, second was a definite one
Johnny Bear
Terrible start to the second half.
MrGolfguy
Might want to put somebody down low on Azubuke
BellCountyBear
Did #35 play in the last game?
ImABearToo
Someone challenge their big guy. Maybe put Clark and Freddie In the paint together.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
KIA
Those are tough shots that we need to make in tough games
Jacques Strap
Good stretch of ball there
wuzzybear
Its gonna take a hot sttreak by us at some point here with 3's. Still too much dribbling going on. Take it in the lane and kick it out. We have to play our best O of the year to outscore KU. Hope we can do it.
BUbackerinET
2 low
CHP Bear
Need points on this position.
CHP Bear
out of control mayer pull up
CHP Bear
Starting to get away from us.
CaliByWayOfKS
Freddie with a terrible pass and Mayer gets a steal and then coughs it up when he should have kicked out.
Johnny Bear
Wow. Azubuki runs over stationary Gillespie like a freight train and no call.
CHP Bear
totally blown no call by refs
ImABearToo
Need Vital on the floor.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
BearTruth13
Mitchell and Gillespie are having atrocious games.
CaliByWayOfKS
Azabuki put an elbow into Gillespie to knock him down but Bilas is claims it was a flop...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.