So Big 12 is going to postpone/cancel WVU/Baylor

6,873 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ashley Hodge
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who said we wouldn't travel to Morgantown
T-REX
Stefano DiMera said:

not a single person
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stefano DiMera said:

Id hate to win it that way..id rather play enough and win enough where no one can mathematically catch us.4 games should do the trick.
Less does the trick.
bears1984
Stefano DiMera said:

No one. However given there's 14 days until the Big 12 tournament and we have ~9 more games if you included rescheduling, traveling all the way to Morgantown seems ill advised
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

No one. However given there's 14 days until the Big 12 tournament and we have ~9 more games if you included rescheduling, traveling all the way to Morgantown seems ill advised
Nobody is playing 9 games in that amount of time.
T-REX
Brian Ethridge said:

bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

lol
Baylor MBA 2023
bears1984
Brian Ethridge said:

bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Exactly, which is why I doubt we were ever going to travel to Morgantown, thus why I see WVA being upset. Games had to be dropped somewhere and I see that one being cut.
T-REX
bears1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Exactly, which is why I doubt we were ever going to travel to Morgantown, thus why I see WVA being upset. Games had to be dropped somewhere and I see that one being cut.
what the other user, brian, and myself have all said is that we may never have gone to wvu for a rescheduled game next week but now that thursdays game is not happening, it is possible we instead play at WVU next week.
Baylor MBA 2023
Brian Ethridge
Staff
T-REX said:

bears1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

what the other user, brian, and myself have all said is that we may never have gone to wvu for a rescheduled game next week but now that thursdays game is not happening, it is possible we instead play at WVU next week.
Yep.
bears1984
T-REX said:

bears1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

bears1984 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I see what you're saying, my apologies. I didn't see where that was posted.
I believe they have a few to reschedule as well.
Big12Bear
The thought of an undefeated team who tried to schedule #1 Gonzaga and has yet to play a really close game trying to duck anyone is laughable.

If WV is as good as they think they are, then lets tangle in the B12 Tourney. I don't blame Huggins for not wanting to play 4 games in 8 days.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Big12Bear said:

The thought of an undefeated team who tried to schedule #1 Gonzaga and has yet to play a really close game trying to duck anyone is laughable.

If WV is as good as they think they are, then lets tangle in the B12 Tourney. I don't blame Huggins for not wanting to play 4 games in 8 days.

Yep, didn't see Carey fighting to fly in last week either.
Big12Bear
BU will also end up playing fewer conference home games than anyone else, barring some major changes next week.
DanaDane
If WVU doesn't want to play Thursday night, why can't the Big 12 schedule someone else? TCU should be available and they only have an 85 mile drive for the game. They play tonight, we play tonight. No competitive advantage for either school since we'd both have the same amount of time to get ready. They need games too.

College football games around the country were put together quickly. Why can't they do the same for basketball?
bears1984
I doubt it was Huggins not wanting to play. Huggins picked up and DID play Gonzaga with one weeks of notice. If you watched that game, WVA had the Zags on the ropes the whole time. The last time we lost was to WVA in Morgantown... I doubt they're scared to play us.
historian
Is this official? Baylor MBB has not tweeted anything about it yet and the schedule has not changed.

What about those of us who have tickets?
Big12Bear
bears1984 said:

I doubt it was Huggins not wanting to play. Huggins picked up and DID play Gonzaga with one weeks of notice. If you watched that game, WVA had the Zags on the ropes the whole time. The last time we lost was to WVA in Morgantown... I doubt they're scared to play us.
Same WV troll?
PaperBear89
IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

FWIW, I think the WV program has been in Texas since last Friday...so them wanting to just get home may be playing a part.

The way I read this, however, is Baylor may have noticed that they can still play 13 (two this week and next) and claim a league title.

So BU is ducking teams if that we're true. And no I'm not saying they are ducking teams. However, if that's true one could absolutely say we're ducking games
Yeah, saw people on KU's 247 site talking crap about us on this.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
bears1984 said:

you are a friendly WVU troll so thanks for that.

Huggins definitely didn't want to play 4 games in 7 days. If you watch his presser, he mentions that it is not ideal for student athletes.

The conference told schools they will have to make up to 3 games so I'm sure Baylor would rather play 3 next week spread out over 7 days (Monday-Sunday) rather than 3 games in 5 days coming off a 21 day COVID pause.

I bet that Baylor will play at WVU on a national TV game on Sunday of next week. Just a hunch. Should know very soon but I expect Baylor will now play in Morgantown and WVU will not have to play in Waco.

Baylor is not ducking anyone nor afraid to play anyone. That is laughable.

These players want to play in all the big games and weren't happy that Gonzaga, Villanova, at Seton Hall, Texas, games against WVU, Texas Tech, etc... got canceled.

But Baylor will end up playing a lot more road games than home games in all likelihood and only avoid a road game in Norman, a team they destroyed in Waco.
T-REX
historian said:

Is this official? Baylor MBB has not tweeted anything about it yet and the schedule has not changed.

What about those of us who have tickets?
officially hasnt been announced but its 99.99% happening. As for tickets, you lose that money if we dont play WVU at home. No season tickets this season are refundable for cancellations due to covid. Same with any others that don't end up getting played. Assuming you bought season tickets through baylor, you unfortunately agreed to a no refund policy
Baylor MBA 2023
IowaBear
I guess the question is why would we appease WV by only playing in their gym? Did people forget the first game @wv was canceled because of COVID in their program. Not to mention will end the regular season playing like 4 more road conference games then home. I'm not sure why we wouldn't be pushing hard for 3 home games next week. Who against I could care less
Ashley Hodge
Staff
IowaBear said:

I guess the question is why would we appease WV by only playing in their gym? Did people forget the first game @wv was canceled because of COVID in their program. Not to mention will end the regular season playing like 4 more road conference games then home. I'm not sure why we wouldn't be pushing hard for 3 home games next week. Who against I could care less
I don't know how it went down but I feel confident in saying that this game doesn't get canceled unless both programs were for it. I'm sure they each have their own reasons.

For Baylor, if they play 6 games, their magic number to win the conference is 3 games. If Baylor plays 5 games, their magic number is 2.

With that in mind, if I were Drew I would exchange a game in Waco for one in Morgantown if it meant playing playing one less game and not having 3 games in 5 days coming off a 21 day COVID pause.
CST Bear
"With that in mind, if I were Drew I would exchange a game in Waco for one in Morgantown if it meant playing playing one less game and not having 3 games in 5 days coming off a 21 day COVID pause."

I hope you're right, Ashley. Still, to me, it seems like we just catered to WV only to appease them. I'm already hoping we go to Morgantown, still win the league via the quadratic formula that can't be explained and then show up to KC motivated to boat race everyone.
Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
EvilTroyAndAbed
Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

I don't know how it went down but I feel confident in saying that this game doesn't get canceled unless both programs were for it. I'm sure they each have their own reasons.

For Baylor, if they play 6 games, their magic number to win the conference is 3 games. If Baylor plays 5 games, their magic number is 2.

With that in mind, if I were Drew I would exchange a game in Waco for one in Morgantown if it meant playing playing one less game and not having 3 games in 5 days coming off a 21 day COVID pause.
And that's what happened.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

Oh well, 2 home games is better than 1 home game.
whitetrash
So no home games with Texas, TCU or WV? I just paid a &*#$(load of coin to watch UAPB back in December.
Texasjeremy
Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

Is the game with Kansas being played? I would assume so, but the Big 12 website currently shows the game as cancelled.
whitetrash
Texasjeremy said:

Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

Is the game with Kansas being played? I would assume so, but the Big 12 website currently shows the game as cancelled.
Tonight: IowaSt
Sat: @KU
next Tues: @WV
next Thur: OkSt
Sun 3/7: Tech

cancelled: WV, UT, TCU, @ OU

Final tab 6 home games, 8 road games.
IowaBear
Texasjeremy said:

Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

Why on earth would they cancel the KU game. The one game I have tickets too
Texasjeremy
IowaBear said:

Texasjeremy said:

Ashley Hodge said:

IowaBear said:

Why on earth would they cancel the KU game. The one game I have tickets too
I am hoping it was a mistake on the Big 12 website that will be corrected. On the other hand, if it was correct, Baylor's magic number to win the conference goes down to 1.
CST Bear
So we're gonna play 14 total games (an even number) yet not the same amount of home and away. So dumb.

I know this is all gonna come out in the wash, but this is not an upgrade from the schedule we had anticipated.

And what's with these 4 pm games?! Ugh!
Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
sstarrx3
BU and WVU will only play once this year and it will be next week in Morgantown. Even if WVU wins in doesn't mater as the conference if pretty much locked up for Baylor as well as a #1 seed.. WVU really is the only team in the Big 12 built to beat Baylor and then a strong maybe. Baylor is destined for the Final 4 and beyond.
whitetrash
Projected total number of conference games:

KU: 18
OkSt: 18
KSt: 18
IowaSt: 18
Tech: 18

UT: 17
TCU: 17
OU: 17
WV: 17

BU: 14

Only games to not be played are the 4 games against BU
Ashley Hodge
Staff
one less loss for all those teams
historian
I hate this because a friend & I have 3 tickets for the game in Waco. What is going to happen to those? And when will something be announced?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.