LSU's Mulkey: I'll sue Washington Post if false story published

23,478 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
BigGameBaylorBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39795254/lsu-mulkey-sue-washington-post-false-story-published
Cp2310
The way she sounded in the interview she knows this article is gonna be expose secrets and conversations she doe not want aired. It's gonna be very interesting.
Aliceinbubbleland
It did sound rather chicken **** of the writer to have spent 2 years preparing (if true) and gave her a very limited timeline to respond at an inapropriate moment.

I hope no one at Baylor (Mac, cough, cough or the BOR) were supplying information ala WSJ in football.
ScottS
Are we surprised? The Washington compost is a POS paper.
Cp2310
Soooo let's say everything printed in the article is true. Is it really a hit piece?
BuinmyBlood
ScottS said:

Are we surprised? The Washington compost is a POS paper.
No kidding. Just Like that liberal bootlicking NY Times...
WacoKelly83
Isn't Wapo owned by Jeff Bezos?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Aliceinbubbleland said:

It did sound rather chicken **** of the writer to have spent 2 years preparing (if true) and gave her a very limited timeline to respond at an inapropriate moment.

I hope no one at Baylor (Mac, cough, cough or the BOR) were supplying information ala WSJ in football.

LOL

Mack is sitting back with a bag of popcorn and a great scotch.
Cp2310
lol. I told my wife she sounded like Donald Trump whining, playing the victim in this video.now some of yalll are talking about the liberal media. This is gonna be interesting.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Cp2310 said:

lol. I told my wife she sounded like Donald Trump whining, playing the victim in this video.now some of yalll are talking about the liberal media. This is gonna be interesting.

And when they publish and she doesn't sue, it makes it all true.
ctxbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

He didn't give her a limited timeline. According to her, he gave her two years.
BuinmyBlood
Cp2310 said:

" the laptop doesn't exist"
" This has all the earmarks of Russian disinformation"

Sometimes you actually are the victim...of outright lies...
rileyroo
I miss Kim's coaching, but I do not miss her cringeworthy press conferences and interviews.
KIA
There is no denying that Kim has a history of crass, inappropriate comments. She should have been held acccountable by someone long before now. But winners get away with this crap and no one has stood up to her. When people attempt to, she whines ... and her followers believe anything she says (that does sound familiar).

That being said, if this is a story from something that happened more than two years ago, it can't be that big of an acutal news event. Just someone trying to grab headlines at her expense.
whitetrash
ctxbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He sent her 16 statements seeking her response to them last Tuesday, with a deadline of Thursday noon for her or the LSU athletic dept to respond.
EvilTroyAndAbed
whitetrash said:

ctxbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He sent her 16 statements seeking her response to them last Tuesday, with a deadline of Thursday noon for her or the LSU athletic dept to respond.

According to her.

And actually two days to respond is pretty normal.
Eball
KIA said:

There is no denying that Kim has a history of crass, inappropriate comments. She should have been held acccountable by someone long before now. But winners get away with this crap and no one has stood up to her. When people attempt to, she whines ... and her followers believe anything she says (that does sound familiar).

That being said, if this is a story from something that happened more than two years ago, it can't be that big of an acutal news event. Just someone trying to grab headlines at her expense.
HOF
NeuroticBear
Cp2310 said:

Interesting, you've posted three times in this thread with no response from anyone.

You sound like a Stormy Daniels attention wh*re who is mad that no one is listening to her made up bullsh*t.
ctxbear
whitetrash said:

ctxbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

She acknowledged that he's been trying to get an interview with him for two years. If I ask you today for information and you don't give it to me, and you know I'm working on a story, and then in March of 2026 I give you a last opportunity and say you have two days to respond, I haven't given you two days to respond. I've given you two years and two days to respond.
Cp2310
lol. Not that it matters but there have been at least 3 responses to this post alone. How awful it must be for you to feel that something is I'll important if others think it's important. Lol. That's sad. I will pray for you. lol.
Eball
this is a South Carolina alum...who has been working on a piece to get Kim for two years...leaks the story dropping right at tourney time for maximum distractions and clicks. Kim is using it as motivation for her team and the latest Championship run. Us against the world.
tombeaux
With Kim, it's always about Kim. She is complaining about a distraction while actually creating one. She is complaining about a story that hasn't been published. The WA Post editors and lawyers know what is actionable in this situation. As a public figure, the burden of proof for damages is pretty steep for her. Thank you, coach, for your contributions to Baylor. I'm so glad you are LSU's problem now.
Russell Gym
tombeaux said:

With Kim, it's always about Kim. She is complaining about a distraction while actually creating one. She is complaining about a story that hasn't been published. The WA Post editors and lawyers know what is actionable in this situation. As a public figure, the burden of proof for damages is pretty steep for her. Thank you, coach, for your contributions to Baylor. I'm so glad you are LSU's problem now.

Can't give enough stars to this post.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Eball said:

this is a South Carolina alum...who has been working on a piece to get Kim for two years...leaks the story dropping right at tourney time for maximum distractions and clicks. Kim is using it as motivation for her team and the latest Championship run. Us against the world.

The story leaked? Where?
PartyBear
I think he is accusing the guy of leaking it because KM announced yesterday there is a story she is going to sue over and refuses to answer the reporter's interview request. You know project onto the reporter what KM did yesterday.
bawitdaball
I'm a member of the media. He basically reached out to her with a request for comment, stating what the story was about, and likely providing some context of his source. That is usually done without giving the source name, but likely Mulkey knows who spoke based on the context of the questions.

The comment she made about other coaches being tricked is likely inaccurate. The coaches weren't trapped or cornered after a game. Mulkey stating that they were lead to believe that Mulkey herself was cooperating (which is an interesting word to use) means that none of the coaches interviewed for the story opted to reach out to her or her "team" to confirm such a scenario, which means they don't have a great relationship. You don't accept an interview with a reporter about someone else without checking with that person if you feel things aren't going in a normal direction.

I personally wonder if something is going to come out regarding how/why she took the LSU job and left Baylor. The fact that they reached out to LSU and Mulkey for comment on the story but there is no mention of them reaching out to Baylor is a bit unusual, especially if the actions occurred or stem from her time at Baylor. The LGBTQIA+ story has run its course and wouldn't be a "bombshell" or a "hit piece" at this point. That would be more about Baylor than Mulkey herself, and again, from the sound of it, they didn't reach out to Baylor for comment. So LSU being involved in that at all is highly unlikely. Not entirely unlikely, but I think that even being mentioned in part of what this article is about is a bit uncalled for.

Will be interesting, but likely a lot of truth. Mulkey has rarely played by the book, and has often stretched and expanded loopholes as needed. Will be interesting to see what two years took to uncover. But the LGBTQIA+ story wouldn't take that long to discuss. I also think the Griner story has run its course and wouldn't be a "bombshell." I honestly believe this is something entirely different that has hit a few buttons. Maybe this is why most coaches have agents to facilitate this type of thing, especially during the tournament.
Mitch Blood Green
Aliceinbubbleland said:

For some reason, I feel like we (Baylor) are a source for some of this.
PartyBear
I doubt KM is the victim she has some of you convinced she is. Baylor isn't always the phantom menace.
parch
Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He apparently interviewed a bunch of her former players so it'd be more or less impossible to write it without her time at Baylor appearing prominently in it.

I can already tell you the thrust of the story. Nothing illegal or violation-related, but will probably hear about a culture of intimidation, violent anger, LGBTQ issues, ostracizing players over random tics of hers. Essentially stories that would make most any parent quail at the thought of sending their kid to be under her tutelage for 4 years. Some of them will come off as aggrieved former players who couldn't handle the heat, but even more will tell stories that are indefensible. If these stories weren't included, Mulkey wouldn't be flying off the handle before it's even published - she knows what's in there, she knows who he's talked to, and it will not cover her in glory.

What bothers me most is that these behaviors are not the reason Mulkey won titles. She won despite them on many occasions. She is the definition of an ends justifying the means coach, and I always thought she was ticking media time bomb. Looks like it's about to go off, and something tells me the coach who yells about personal accountability every week is going to be pulling the victim card a great many times.
Mitch Blood Green
parch said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He apparently interviewed a bunch of her former players so it'd be more or less impossible to write it without her time at Baylor appearing prominently in it.

I can already tell you the thrust of the story. Nothing illegal or violation-related, but will probably hear about a culture of intimidation, violent anger, LGBTQ issues, ostracizing players over random tics of hers. Essentially stories that would make most any parent quail at the thought of sending their kid to be under her tutelage for 4 years. Some of them will come off as aggrieved former players who couldn't handle the heat, but even more will tell stories that are indefensible. If these stories weren't included, Mulkey wouldn't be flying off the handle before it's even published - she knows what's in there, she knows who he's talked to, and it will not cover her in glory.

What bothers me most is that these behaviors are not the reason Mulkey won titles. She won despite them on many occasions. She is the definition of an ends justifying the means coach, and I always thought she was ticking media time bomb. Looks like it's about to go off, and something tells me the coach who yells about personal accountability every week is going to be pulling the victim card a great many times.

If I were I go down the speculation road with you, and remove LGBT from the equation, many of us have played for coaches like her.

I'll add this to the counseling that every young person needs to hear. Keep your private life private. Get it off Facebook and out of the club. I get that many young people want to be "authentic" but it doesn't serve student athletes regardless of orientation.
blackie
Mitch Blood Green said:

parch said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

If I were I go down the speculation road with you, and remove LGBT from the equation, many of us have played for coaches like her.

No doubt. Don't know your age, but times have probably changed since then. With all the talk about removing bullying, etc. in schools people just don't expect students to be treated the way they once could be treated without anyone thinking twice about it. To be clear, I have absolutely no knowledge of any of this and am not throwing stones at anyone, but if the comments above are anywhere close to the truth, I can understand why it would be a story. Times have just changed as to how people are expected to treat each other, athlete or not.....and probably for the better for all.
OntheRecord
Deleted

parch
Mitch Blood Green said:

parch said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I'll add this to the counseling that every young person needs to hear. Keep your private life private. Get it off Facebook and out of the club. I get that many young people want to be "authentic" but it doesn't serve student athletes regardless of orientation.
I certainly have, but I also recognize it's not how it should be just because it's how it was. There's a lot of Stockholm Syndrome in coach-athlete relations.

Typically the loudest ones defending this type of coaching/leadership are the ones who've been dragged through it in their own lives and have metric tons of undealt-with trauma from it, and the only way they know how to channel it is to sissy-fy anyone who comes out against it.
MrGolfguy
OntheRecord said:

Deleted
User name doesn't check out.
ctxbear
Mitch Blood Green said:

parch said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Here's the problem with "keep your private life private, regardless of your orientation": This "counseling" is only ever used for LGBTQ students at Baylor. BG talked about this in her first book-- After she tweeted something that revealed she was gay, the whole team got the "Keep your private life private" talk. But she was the only one who had to have a one-on-one meeting with the coach. Straight student-athletes post photos of themselves with their significant others all the time, but I've never seen a conversation on fan boards about how they need to keep their private lives private.

It's not that its bad advice. It's just that I don't believe people when they say "regardless of orientation." There's clearly a double standard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.