LSU's Mulkey: I'll sue Washington Post if false story published

23,479 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not going to get directly into that argument, but it's pretty simple. In the state that Baylor was in in wbb in 1995, there's no way Kim comes to Baylor. She had already turned down better opportunities than that. Hogg didn't know basketball. She was pretty straightforward about that at Tech, a little less so at Baylor. (I will say, though, that she recruited the talent that turned Tech into a superpower. Kim always said she was going to LSU until she met Sonja Hogg). Hogg was smart enough to hire Larry Tidwell when she came here and the team grew on the court with him. She also brought in better talent.

By chance, I came to Baylor the same year Hogg did. I went to games from my first year. There was no one in the Ferrell Center unless we were playing TTech -- and then it was all red and black. Hogg made Baylor a program where someone like Kim could see herself. Considering how little Baylor had to offer in 1994, she was a pretty solid hire.
LTBear19
To be fair - We should also include Pam Bowers's records (before Hogg's arrival).

1981-82: 16-11 (Not Available)
1982-83: 16-14 (4-4)
1983-84: 15-12 (9-7)
1984-85: 12-14 (7-9)
1985-86: 6-21 (4-12)
1986-87: 8-20 (5-11)
1987-88: 10-20 (3-13)
1988-89: 3-23 (1-15)
1989-90: 4-23 (1-15)
1990-91: 9-17 (3-13)
1991-92: 11-17 (3-11)
1992-93: 12-16 (6-8)
1993-94: 13-14 (4-10)

Conference Records are in parenthesis.

That looks like 10 consecutive losing seasons to me.

Also, my math comes to an overall record of 135 - 222 (.378), for the 13-year period above.

Hogg's record for the 6-year period: 83-91 (.477).

Records brought to you by https://www.sports-reference.com/
Stefano DiMera
Lord...I don't care if you played under Hogg or hated her guts you have to be clueless to say she was a bad hire... especially compared to where the program was.

That NIT run was about the only positive thing in the athletic department other than baseballs run to the World Series.
baylorbear33
Stefano DiMera said:

Lord...I don't care if you played under Hogg or hated her guts you have to be clueless to say she was a bad hire... especially compared to where the program was.

That NIT run was about the only positive thing in the athletic department other than baseballs run to the World Series.

Definitely not clueless. Again, I lived her wrath on a daily basis, so it's much more personal for me. And maybe take the time to dig for the little nuggets that the athletic department buried about her before attempting to defend her hire.
Stefano DiMera
Whether a hire is good or not is not dependent on anecdotal instances of a disgruntled player. There's always gonna be players that hate their coach..or in your case think their coach is a dumbass.

A good hire is defined is the program in better shape when they left than when they took over and without question it was under Hogg.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TechDawgMc said:

I'm not going to get directly into that argument, but it's pretty simple. In the state that Baylor was in in wbb in 1995, there's no way Kim comes to Baylor. She had already turned down better opportunities than that. Hogg didn't know basketball. She was pretty straightforward about that at Tech, a little less so at Baylor. (I will say, though, that she recruited the talent that turned Tech into a superpower. Kim always said she was going to LSU until she met Sonja Hogg). Hogg was smart enough to hire Larry Tidwell when she came here and the team grew on the court with him. She also brought in better talent.

By chance, I came to Baylor the same year Hogg did. I went to games from my first year. There was no one in the Ferrell Center unless we were playing TTech -- and then it was all red and black. Hogg made Baylor a program where someone like Kim could see herself. Considering how little Baylor had to offer in 1994, she was a pretty solid hire.

Lawson could coach as well. LT was a great recruiter as well.
LIB,MR BEARS
baylorbear33 said:

TechDawgMc said:

For a two year researched article, he author got a lot of details wrong. The characterization of the Hogg / Barmore relationship was mostly wrong, for instance. There might have been a bit of good cop/bad cop, but no one ever doubted that all the basketball decisions were coming from Barmore. If you're painting it as Hogg's team, you don't really know how it went. She was the recruiter.

Those of us that played for Hogg during her Baylor years absolutely know it was Barmore running that La Tech team. Hogg didn't have enough sense to find her way out of a paper bag.
She had enough sense to hire Leon and Larry
LIB,MR BEARS
Bowers' program was weak and anemic. It could have died and nobody would have cared…. except McNamara

Sonja got the program healthy.

Kim made the program champions

Sonja played an important role
Bone Squad
Related. And I've personally thought this for years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2024/03/30/kim-mulkey-personality-brings-criticism-no-male-coach-gets/73154743007/
Method Man
IowaBear said:

Why are you so heavily defending a losing record? Is going to the WNIT supposed to be impressive? Reading your thoughts on Hogg I would have guessed she was at least 50 over .500 not some scrub under .500 coach
Context my man. Some of the other posters have already stated it, but Baylor womens basketball was complete garbage before Coach Hogg.

Coach Hogg took over a garbage program and made us mediocre. That mediocrity increased the fan interest in the program, which then allowed a better coach to take over. This superior coach then takes the program to heights we never imagined possible.
Brownbw
Well I read the whole article. It was a long one and on the whole didn't think it was something to sue over. Most of it very complimentary and fair sided. The two things I saw that were maybe uncomplimentary were that (1) she keeps grudges . If you wrong her she will not forget it nor forgive it. Some of us have that same demeanor. (2)The other thing mentioned several times was about how she handled the problem of players and coaches who were sexually (different ) . (3) mentioned that she is flamboyant and more about her than her players. The article constantly touted her coaching ability. Was it a fluff piece no but overall pretty fair. Even on the homosexual issue he interviewed several former players that supported her on that issue. Some who had left with that very issue. Great coach that pushed her players and certainly not easy to get along with. Even her worst detractors I think would agree with that assessment.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
montypython
blackie said:

montypython said:

Alan Lefever said:

Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power.
You have gone full re ta rd.

93-6.

That was our combined record her last 3 seasons.
The problem is what did she have coming up?

Perhaps 15-41 was the problem.

(Nikki's combined record in her last 2 seasons in the WNBA was 15-41)
Adriacus Peratuun
montypython said:

blackie said:

montypython said:

Alan Lefever said:

Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power.

93-6.

Due to the team's three top players sitting out & leaving the franchise due to a dispute with one team owner.

But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.
blackie
montypython said:

blackie said:

montypython said:

Alan Lefever said:

93-6.

And this explains Baylor's HS pipeline as it existed in 2021 prior to KM leaving how? We had only one HS recruit for the upcoming season and she wanted out of her NLI before KM left. What your record was the last 3 seasons has nothing to do with what they will be the next 3 if you don't have a solid pipeline of recruits lined up to replace those that would soon be out the door, and that is even without the disruption of a coaching change where players tend to scatter like flies until the program settles back down in a few years......if ever.

You really need to get over the exit. Most people are looking forward to the future of Baylor WBB. I know you want her to fail, but we are doing well after the loss of a HOF coach, much better than Tennessee, UT, TT, Duke and NC did and on a par with ND. She wanted to leave, she did. We were left with a rebuild anyway you want to spin it as the bulk of the high talent we had on the team was set to graduate after the 2021 season. And history shows just looking at the teams above that once that coach leaves you are going to take a dip. Why is it so hard to understand why that would not happen at Baylor when it has happened to every elite program in WBB thus far?

Some people understand the problem that occurs when your elite HOF-level coach leaves. Go to the men's board and read the realistic expectations going forward had CSD gone to Kentucky. They were not pretty.

Write what you want. I'm out on the prior coach. She is no longer our coach. Nicki is.
Casual Observer
When I first came to Baylor in the late eighties, my alma mater came to play Bower's Lady Bears, and so I went to watch. The game was on a weekday afternoon. There were more people officially associated with the game (players, coaches, managers, personnel at the scorer's table, security) than there fans in the stands. I'm not exaggerating. Watching the game was so excruciating I left before halftime.
ScottS
joseywales said:

historian said:

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23
And when exactly in human history were we perfect and fell from grace..3 million years ago 100, 000 years ago? This is just plain absurdity. You have two human types in you right now and you share an ancient ape like ancestor. These facts are undeniable especially now that we know with DNA. DNA does not lie and has mo care about a belief system. Catch up.

I'll believe the whole ape thing if a current living ape turns into a human.
BigGameBaylorBear
I'm in the party of believing the world is only 6000-12000 years old. Carbon dating has flaws
LIB,MR BEARS
BigGameBaylorBear said:

I'm in the party of believing the world is only 6000-12000 years old. Carbon dating has flaws
there's lots of evidence to support both positions from what I understand
ScottS
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

I wasn't around back then
LIB,MR BEARS
ScottS said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

I wasn't around back then

So in the class picture, that is not you, third to the left of Methuselah?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.