LSU's Mulkey: I'll sue Washington Post if false story published

24,042 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by LIB,MR BEARS
thales
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TechDawgMc said:

thales said:

all i am seeing is her rallying the team

she's making part of the team a target (her) and the team is rallying behind that

they just stomped their 2nd round opponent

it's great coaching
That's Biden level spin right there.
great leaders find ways to motivate

after the lady tigers win

"Coach Mulkey's had our back all year, so we've got to have Coach Mulkey's back," said forward Aneesah Morrow, who scored 19 points"
Kecky4BLB
I grew up in Alabama and am a life-long Crimson Tide fan. I didn't even like basketball until I watched the Women's College Basketball Tournament with my grandfather in 1983. It introduced me to 2 people who made me love the sport--Pat Summitt and a fiery little guard named Kim Mulkey. Some years later, I became a Baylor Lady Bears fan because of her. In 2019 I had the huge blessing of being able to go to the Final Four and see them win the National Championship, where I met up up with some Baylor fans and was invited to attend their pep rally the night before the final. I got to meet Coach Mulkey and the team in person, and I treasure that memory. Those ladies were not just champions as athletes. They demonstrated outstanding sportsmanship and character, both on and off the court, and whether winning or losing. I now believe that I gave their coach too much credit for that. Since she left Baylor and went to LSU, I have been so disappointed and lost so much respect for Kim Mulkey. From her clothes, to her comments, to her court side behavior, to her coaching influence, she has shown a huge lack of class, humility, and integrity. It is more and more clear to me that although I was right about her ability to produce winning teams, I was wrong about the person that she is and her impact on young ladies. What saddens me the most is the attitude and behavior of her players, which she clearly encourages. They are the epitome of poor sportsmanship and arrogance, of disrespect for opponents and officials, and of disregard for the rules of the game. I would love to see someone in the media have the courage to call her and her team out for the shadow they cast on their sport with their taunting, trash talk, and self-centered attitudes.
In addition, I just want to say that I still support the Lady Bears and am proud of them for the victory over Va. Tech yesterday. I think that they are very well coached and showed a great deal of heart and class. Baylor people should be proud of them and also increasingly relieved that Kim is gone.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
OntheRecord said:

Deleted

Whoa...

That'd do it.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blackie said:

fredbear said:

He is a gamecock, nuff said. He already praised Dawn over Kim in previous article recently. Hack job take 2. Yellow journalism opinion piece with anonymous sources. Do tell. I have never trusted anonymous anything. If u cant own it, don't say it.
I don't know one way or another or what the agenda might be. But if based on him being a SC alum........well Sharon Grigsby is a Baylor alum and look where that has helped us...cough, cough, cough.

Shooting the messenger is a longtime first defense or third - Braun
FFA0329
Great post, and I especially loved the last paragraph about personal accountability and whining non stop later………She is a whiner…….
blackie
Kecky4BLB said:

I grew up in Alabama and am a life-long Crimson Tide fan. I didn't even like basketball until I watched the Women's College Basketball Tournament with my grandfather in 1983. It introduced me to 2 people who made me love the sport--Pat Summitt and a fiery little guard named Kim Mulkey. Some years later, I became a Baylor Lady Bears fan because of her. In 2019 I had the huge blessing of being able to go to the Final Four and see them win the National Championship, where I met up up with some Baylor fans and was invited to attend their pep rally the night before the final. I got to meet Coach Mulkey and the team in person, and I treasure that memory. Those ladies were not just champions as athletes. They demonstrated outstanding sportsmanship and character, both on and off the court, and whether winning or losing. I now believe that I gave their coach too much credit for that. Since she left Baylor and went to LSU, I have been so disappointed and lost so much respect for Kim Mulkey. From her clothes, to her comments, to her court side behavior, to her coaching influence, she has shown a huge lack of class, humility, and integrity. It is more and more clear to me that although I was right about her ability to produce winning teams, I was wrong about the person that she is and her impact on young ladies. What saddens me the most is the attitude and behavior of her players, which she clearly encourages. They are the epitome of poor sportsmanship and arrogance, of disrespect for opponents and officials, and of disregard for the rules of the game. I would love to see someone in the media have the courage to call her and her team out for the shadow they cast on their sport with their taunting, trash talk, and self-centered attitudes.
In addition, I just want to say that I still support the Lady Bears and am proud of them for the victory over Va. Tech yesterday. I think that they are very well coached and showed a great deal of heart and class. Baylor people should be proud of them and also increasingly relieved that Kim is gone.
My wife and I followed the team to Tempe and to Indianapolis in 2005. We participated in a Bob Simpson tour package to follow the team to both places. This was before the Lady Bears were an item. There were not a lot of us fans in Tempe, as such we stayed in the team hotel, attended the Sunday morning devotional and generally had a lot of access to KM, Bill Brock and the players over the weekend. That Kim was a pleasure to be associated with. She was just then building a program and while she fought for her team there was none of the real negatives that people have complained about her in recent years.

I have been scolded on the board by a few posters many times for my observation but it is my observation. I have the right to have it. But the KM of the first 5-10 years of her tenure at Baylor was not the same KM for the last 5 or so years. I'll just leave it at that. I knew one day she would no longer be the coach at Baylor, probably because of retirement and desire to spend even more time with family. I thought that time would be sooner rather than later. But I thought we would have ample notice so that a smooth transition could be had like at other schools where elite coaches retired (UT, Tennessee, ND, for example). However we were not afforded that type of separation. We are now three years past that. We have, IMO, weathered the storm and are once again on a fun ride as the program is being rebuilt. Given that we were going to have to have someone else on the sideline at some point, I am relieved that such a program changing event is now in our rear-view mirror.
Leonidas
blackie said:

Kecky4BLB said:

My wife and I followed the team to Tempe and to Indianapolis in 2005. We participated in a Bob Simpson tour package to follow the team to both places. This was before the Lady Bears were an item. There were not a lot of us fans in Tempe, as such we stayed in the team hotel, attended the Sunday morning devotional and generally had a lot of access to KM, Bill Brock and the players over the weekend. That Kim was a pleasure to be associated with. She was just then building a program and while she fought for her team there was none of the real negatives that people have complained about her in recent years.

I have been scolded on the board by a few posters many times for my observation but it is my observation. I have the right to have it. But the KM of the first 5-10 years of her tenure at Baylor was not the same KM for the last 5 or so years. I'll just leave it at that. I knew one day she would no longer be the coach at Baylor, probably because of retirement and desire to spend even more time with family. I thought that time would be sooner rather than later. But I thought we would have ample notice so that a smooth transition could be had like at other schools where elite coaches retired (UT, Tennessee, ND, for example). However we were not afforded that type of separation. We are now three years past that. We have, IMO, weathered the storm and are once again on a fun ride as the program is being rebuilt. Given that we were going to have to have someone else on the sideline at some point, I am relieved that such a program changing event is now in our rear-view mirror.
I would agree 100% with your observation that the KM of the first 5-10 years was different than the KM for the last 5 or so years. My perception is that the change occurred sometime after the second national championship. One example is that you can go back and look at some of her public statements about Scott Drew in his first 7 years or so and it appears they had a much better relationship in those days.

I also agree with your observations that 1) the transition to a new coach was impacted by the timing and suddenness of the change and 2) we have weathered the storm of that separation and are once again on a fun ride as the program is being rebuilt.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blackie said:

Kecky4BLB said:

Strong post and I agree.
ctxbear
Aside from a couple of conversations with her in town, I never had any close interactions with KM. So my comment here should be seen as pure speculation and not intended to demean any of your personal experiences. But I wonder if maybe she hasn't changed as much as we have? Time and space (and, in our current situation, winning without her) are great ingredients for clarity.

Many of us were addicted to Kim Mulkey. From her energy to her outfits to her devil-may-care attitude with the press, and, of course, to all the winning, we couldn't get enough. Our eyes were glazed over.

She's been compared, by me and others, with a certain U.S. political figure, and the comparisons here are uncanny. Although he still holds tremendous sway among many, there are some folks in his political party who are trying to break free from him. And you know what they are saying? They are saying he changed. "He's not the same person he was back then." Well, in the case of this man, they are simply wrong. There is no difference between who that man is now from who he was 9 years ago to who he was fifty years ago.

It is risky and so challenging to simply say, "Oh. We overlooked so much because she was ours. That was a mistake." I wonder if some are avoiding the vulnerability associated with such an admission by creating a narrative that says "We weren't wrong, she was just different then."
Kecky4BLB
In my post I did say that I was wrong.
PartyBear
Is anyone else just tired of her? I saw the story on Saturday about her diatribe about the potential story before I came here to see if anyone else knew about this. I may be projecting here my own views on everyone else but I suspect the followers of women's college hoops have KM fatigue at this point. I'm not sure she realizes it but she is making Baylor's administration look better every day. Well....I should say CNC is by contrast is also doing that.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Is anyone else just tired of her? I saw the story on Saturday about her diatribe about the potential story before I came here to see if anyone else knew about this. I may be projecting here my own views on everyone else but I suspect the followers of women's college hoops have KM fatigue at this point. I'm not sure she realizes it but she is making Baylor's administration look better every day. Well....I should say CNC is by contrast is also doing that.
No. You are. Not nearly as much as we have Caitlin Clark and Dawn Staley worship fatigue. She isn't. Maybe.

Now if we somehow make it past USC and LSU trips up against UCLA, you might find some justification for your predetermined conclusion.
PartyBear
Oh I am the only one tired of her? Twittersphere seems to agree there is alot of KM fatigue out there among the women's hoops crowd.
blackie
PartyBear said:

Oh I am the only one tired of her? Twittersphere seems to agree there is alot of KM fatigue out there among the women's hoops crowd.
For a short answer, no you are not. It has swung too far that everything is about her. She didn't use to be like that, at least I didn't think so. Glad we had her. Glad we are past it. We were going to have to have a coaching change sooner or later. People retire, get sick, die, etc. We took the bullet sooner than even I expected, but we are well on the road to recovery and won't have to face the situation again, at least not in the severe manner with which it happened. We can now enjoy building back up and not be looking over our shoulder every year waiting for something that was inevitable to occur that we knew would happen at some point.
Alan Lefever
Brian Ethridge said:

blackie said:

fredbear said:

He is a gamecock, nuff said. He already praised Dawn over Kim in previous article recently. Hack job take 2. Yellow journalism opinion piece with anonymous sources. Do tell. I have never trusted anonymous anything. If u cant own it, don't say it.
I don't know one way or another or what the agenda might be. But if based on him being a SC alum........well Sharon Grigsby is a Baylor alum and look where that has helped us...cough, cough, cough.

Shooting the messenger is a longtime first defense or third - Braun
This Baylor historian says "well played sir, well played"
TelevisionBear
Kim's toddler tantrum has taken a story no one knew was coming and turned it into THE special interest story of the Women's Tournament. She managed to replace Caitlin Clark as the off-the-court story. She has added at least a full week of talk and buzz about this story. When it comes out, sports analysts who might not have paid attention will be leading with their take on the story. There are times when it's best to ignore something and keep quiet, but that's never been Kim's style. Her "it's all about me" attitude has made this exponentially worse.
She readily admits Kent Babb has been asking for an interview for two years. When he finally is close to publishing the article and gives her a final two days to comment, somehow that's unfair to her! That certainly puts Kim's frequent "players must take personal responsibility" comments in a different light.
Those who dismiss Babb as merely an alum of South Carolina who is somehow just out to get Kim haven't looked into his background. The guy has won AP national awards three times. He authored the currently #8 ranked book on Amazon about basketball and the #25 book about football. He's been with the WaPo for about 18 years.
As for Kim's defamation lawsuit, well, you can file a suit against anyone. Winning is an entirely different matter.
When the article comes out, it will be the first sports article I will have ever read in the WaPo. I'm sure I won't be the only one which is why the WaPo is very, very happy about Kim's toddler tantrum.
franke
Kent, is that you?
Eball
TelevisionBear said:

Kim's toddler tantrum has taken a story no one knew was coming and turned it into THE special interest story of the Women's Tournament. She managed to replace Caitlin Clark as the off-the-court story. She has added at least a full week of talk and buzz about this story. When it comes out, sports analysts who might not have paid attention will be leading with their take on the story. There are times when it's best to ignore something and keep quiet, but that's never been Kim's style. Her "it's all about me" attitude has made this exponentially worse.
She readily admits Kent Babb has been asking for an interview for two years. When he finally is close to publishing the article and gives her a final two days to comment, somehow that's unfair to her! That certainly puts Kim's frequent "players must take personal responsibility" comments in a different light.
Those who dismiss Babb as merely an alum of South Carolina who is somehow just out to get Kim haven't looked into his background. The guy has won AP national awards three times. He authored the currently #8 ranked book on Amazon about basketball and the #25 book about football. He's been with the WaPo for about 18 years.
As for Kim's defamation lawsuit, well, you can file a suit against anyone. Winning is an entirely different matter.
When the article comes out, it will be the first sports article I will have ever read in the WaPo. I'm sure I won't be the only one which is why the WaPo is very, very happy about Kim's toddler tantrum.
I swear some of you have not actually listened to or paid attention to what Kim actually said or why she did.

Rumors break about a negative piece coming down the pipe against Kim by Wa Po...right at tourney time...there were already discussions and speculation in the social media world. Opponents and detractors of Kim are always ready to voice their disdain.

It was a distraction. Kim had a choice ignore it and just let people talk about it without any background from her or getting her side out there or her spin...The guy was not specifically trying to interview her for two years he asked about an interview early on and she declined because of her dislike of an article he had written putting Brian Kelly in a negative light in her opinion. He has been investigating the story now for two years, but nothing has come out other than Kim has heard from some ex-staff and ex-players who have been contacted. Then this last week he/they send a sheet with 12 questions to LSU/Kim wanitng comments or answers demanding that they respond by Thursday seeming to leave impression that the story was indeed finally dropping. Also knowing they could then add the tag line LSU and Coach Mulkey declined to comment. Kim is using this as a coaching motivation ploy "us against them"...it has nothing to do with PR or really suing the WaPO..."if they print a false story about me". there have been several negative stories and comments about Kim for years mainly by opposing fans, but now the politically correct crowd. It was a lot better when they could link her with a Christian University! A lot of folks are jealous of Kim and have an agenda to hurt her every chance they get...

All I will say is every single one of you that she hurt your feelings, I believe it but so what...does she recruit well? does she keep big time players and get them to play for her? Does she win the answer is yes so to all of you who say she is mean I will just point out she is a winner, and the proof is in the pudding...

Alan Lefever
Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power. We had nothing in the pipeline and were becoming heavily dependent upon transfers. Her last year here she didn't have the same energy. She was reinvigorated when she went to LSU (mostly by anger which has always been her best fuel). I don't think we would have one an NC last year if she stayed.

And what she did to people was a lot more than hurt feelings and we should expect more from our coaches and ourselves. And I say the as a strong supporter of WBB for over 20 years, attending 10 WBB FF and having courtside seats in the new pavilion. We've all known people where divorce worked out best for both parties. I believe that is the case here. KM is no longer my coach. I don't really care about LSU unless we play them….I'm all in on BU athletes and the coaches who lead them
blackie
Alan Lefever said:

Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power. We had nothing in the pipeline and were becoming heavily dependent upon transfers. Her last year here she didn't have the same energy. She was reinvigorated when she went to LSU (mostly by anger which has always been her best fuel). I don't think we would have one an NC last year if she stayed.

And what she did to people was a lot more than hurt feelings and we should expect more from our coaches and ourselves. And I say the as a strong supporter of WBB for over 20 years, attending 10 WBB FF and having courtside seats in the new pavilion. We've all known people where divorce worked out best for both parties. I believe that is the case here. KM is no longer my coach. I don't really care about LSU unless we play them….I'm all in on BU athletes and the coaches who lead them
Excellent post. Pretty much reflects my take on the situation and where we stand today.
franke
Recruiting was bad from 2018-21? That seems like a silly statement considering the freshman class in 2019 and the trophy we took home.
montypython
franke said:

Recruiting was bad from 2018-21? That seems like a silly statement considering the freshman class in 2019 and the trophy we took home.

Silly is nicer than what I would say.
blackie
montypython said:

Alan Lefever said:

Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power.
You have gone full re ta rd.

93-6.

That was our combined record her last 3 seasons.
The problem is what did she have coming up? That record is based on how you recruited years prior to that. I think that was the poster's point. Her last year all we had lined up from HS was the girl from Arkansas who several on this board reported that she was having second thoughts while Kim was still the coach. Reliance was more and more on transfers. And for the 2021-2022 season is was pretty much all transfers coming in. And then of course when she left, they left without even waiting to see who would be the new coach. Our HS pipeline that had served us so well in years past was just not there as it had been in the past. Why the change in tactics?

I know that now you have to be successful in the portal because you have no guarantee that any player you currently have will be there for you the next year. It just seems however that we were not getting the high level recruits from HS that is the real life of your program and that we had always gotten our share of, although we missed on many big ones, I suppose because they just didn't want to come to Baylor, the school. I am hopeful that while we have to rely on the portal a lot right now to compensate for the depleted roster we were left with after 2021-2022 season, we can once again get back to seeing high-level recruits coming from HS that we can develop at Baylor. Bella and Buggs were a good start.

Bear2393
blackie said:

montypython said:

Alan Lefever said:

Kim's last 3 years our recruiting was easily the worst of any traditional power.
You have gone full re ta rd.

93-6.

That was our combined record her last 3 seasons.
The problem is what did she have coming up? That record is based on how you recruited years prior to that. I think that was the poster's point. Her last year all we had lined up from HS was the girl from Arkansas who several on this board reported that she was having second thoughts while Kim was still the coach. Reliance was more and more on transfers. And for the 2021-2022 season is was pretty much all transfers coming in. And then of course when she left, they left without even waiting to see who would be the new coach. Our HS pipeline that had served us so well in years past was just not there as it had been in the past. Why the change in tactics?

I know that now you have to be successful in the portal because you have no guarantee that any player you currently have will be there for you the next year. It just seems however that we were not getting the high level recruits from HS that is the real life of your program and that we had always gotten our share of, although we missed on many big ones, I suppose because they just didn't want to come to Baylor, the school. I am hopeful that while we have to rely on the portal a lot right now to compensate for the depleted roster we were left with after 2021-2022 season, we can once again get back to seeing high-level recruits coming from HS that we can develop at Baylor. Bella and Buggs were a good start.

As usual, I believe you are posting your agenda and not posting facts. Kim's last year here she had 2 top 20 players in the country on her team as Freshman. Now, I believe that when you bring in two 5 star recruits you are doing damn good on your recruiting!

Leonidas
franke said:

As I interpret Alan's post, he was talking about the 3 recruiting classes after the "Fab 5" that arrived on campus in fall 2018, i.e. after Smith, Queen, Bickle, et al.
Alan Lefever
The Recruiting class of 19,20, and 21 did NOT play for a NC silly you had Jordy Oliver, Hannah Guster, Sara Andrews, and M. Duada. Oliver just ended a journeyman career at Vandy, Guster is looking for her 4th school, Duada got out of her letter of intent and never came here. So 3 years of recruiting 1….ONE good player. No, not one of the top programs had less to show for 3 years of recruiting than BU….silly (or whatever else you want to call) me….and don't throw Jackson, Cooper, or Carrington at me. Transfers supplement the great programs they don't build them.
Alan Lefever
Wow, just wow there's some class
Russell Gym
What was probably going to be a lightly read article by WBB diehards is now highly anticipated by any and all readership groups.

If the press conference idea was to make sure the story is read by the most people possible, then mission accomplished. It will be highly read now.

Once the article is out, no one will care about the threats to sue. The article content will carry the ensuing conversations.

A defamation suit will not be successful.
Jack Bauer
Shannon Sharpe was actually 100% right on this.

She should have had her $$$$ attorneys handle this out of the spotlight.

Everyone in the world knows Mulkey is crass, hot headed, stubborn, loud. Thats not groundbreaking news. Unless there is a specific accusation she can prove is defamation she should just move on and coach
Alan Lefever
"You have gone full re ta rd."

I tried to let this comment slide but I just couldn't. I really hope you don't know me, there is no way for me to know in the faceless nameless place this is. You see I suffered a stroke at birth and have mild cerebral palsy. Doctors told my parents I probably wouldn't walk or talk. Students and teachers used the "r" word to describe me often in elementary and junior high. Today I hold a PhD and teach at Baylor. One of the books I've written is on Baylor sports….

The careless way you used the "r" word brought back some bad memories. Do better….please
franke
And those were all good recruits. Sure, number wise you went from Fab 5 to just Mariam in that 2021 class, so yeah numbers wise it was "down". My issue is people like yourself trying to somehow convince yourself that the program was somehow "down" to justify Mulkey walking and complain about her.

We won a natty in 19, should have repeated in 20, and were a should-be whistle away from a Final Four in 21. Shes gone, and she's doing great. Even if she had recruited a Fab 5 the last 3 years she was here, it wouldn't have changed the current trajectory of our program.

"Transfers supplement the great programs they don't build them." and at that point we were a great program, it was built. We didn't have to rely on the diamond in the rough HS kid to make the jump to Elite
Alan Lefever
franke said:

And those were all good recruits. Sure, number wise you went from Fab 5 to just Mariam in that 2021 class, so yeah numbers wise it was "down". My issue is people like yourself trying to somehow convince yourself that the program was somehow "down" to justify Mulkey walking and complain about her.

We won a natty in 19, should have repeated in 20, and were a should-be whistle away from a Final Four in 21. Shes gone, and she's doing great. Even if she had recruited a Fab 5 the last 3 years she was here, it wouldn't have changed the current trajectory of our program.

"Transfers supplement the great programs they don't build them." and at that point we were a great program, it was built. We didn't have to rely on the diamond in the rough HS kid to make the jump to Elite
We obviously are going to disagree on this, but it is hard to argue that we signed 4 players over a 3 year period 1 of which became a quality player. During that same 3 year period we didn't close on at least 9 top 50 players who had us as a finalist but chose to go elsewhere. We had not had that problem in the years prior. I know we had great teams in 20 and 21, but heading into 22 had KM stayed we had 6 players on the roster that had been recruited by KM the rest were transfer guards. We were going to have to pull a lot of rabbits out of a hat if the 22 team was going to be ANYWHERE near as good as the 21.

At a Tip-Off Club meeting in 2021 KM spoke about how difficult it was to continue to "feed the monster" she had created at Baylor. She sounded tried. I turned to my wife right after she spoke and said "I almost thought she was going to say she was retiring"

To summarize my original post, I believe

1. KM is a great coach who built a great program here
2. Recuriting had slipped from Baylor standards in 19,20,21 both in quality and quantity.
3. KM didn't seem to have the same fire for the future she had in the past.
4. Moving to LSU rekindled her fire...and fashion
5. I believe the move was beneficial for both Baylor and KM
6. CNC is the coach of my team and in 3 years with a total rebuild of the program we are in the Sweet 16 and the future is bright for Baylor....as it is for LSU, but since I didn't go to LSU I don't really care.
Leonidas
Good post and summary Alan. I agree with you on all these points.

franke
I agree that it was lesser than it was before. My point is that it really didn't matter at that point, we were still winning. We will never know if she had stayed if it would've affected the future.

I appreciate your perspective.
blackie
Alan Lefever said:

franke said:

We obviously are going to disagree on this, but it is hard to argue that we signed 4 players over a 3 year period 1 of which became a quality player. During that same 3 year period we didn't close on at least 9 top 50 players who had us as a finalist but chose to go elsewhere. We had not had that problem in the years prior. I know we had great teams in 20 and 21, but heading into 22 had KM stayed we had 6 players on the roster that had been recruited by KM the rest were transfer guards. We were going to have to pull a lot of rabbits out of a hat if the 22 team was going to be ANYWHERE near as good as the 21.

At a Tip-Off Club meeting in 2021 KM spoke about how difficult it was to continue to "feed the monster" she had created at Baylor. She sounded tried. I turned to my wife right after she spoke and said "I almost thought she was going to say she was retiring"

To summarize my original post, I believe

1. KM is a great coach who built a great program here
2. Recuriting had slipped from Baylor standards in 19,20,21 both in quality and quantity.
3. KM didn't seem to have the same fire for the future she had in the past.
4. Moving to LSU rekindled her fire...and fashion
5. I believe the move was beneficial for both Baylor and KM
6. CNC is the coach of my team and in 3 years with a total rebuild of the program we are in the Sweet 16 and the future is bright for Baylor....as it is for LSU, but since I didn't go to LSU I don't really care.

Agree on every single point. But I think added focus should be on points 3 and 4. That is what I was seeing and have seen as well. No one is saying the program was down, per se. What is being said is that the program was not getting the fuel needed (high-level HS recruits) as it had in the past to keep it from going down the next few years after 2021.

Some here want to believe that had she stayed we were poised for the same type of success we had seen in the past because of what she has shown at LSU. Had she stayed and been the KM we have seen at LSU, I think that is certainly possible although harder now in the new world of NIL and the free portal and the parity that those two things are creating. But that is not the KM that I was seeing at Baylor in her last years here. What I was seeing is aptly described by Alan's comments about the Tip-Off Club meeting.

I had no desire to see KM leave. Had no reason to believe that a departure was imminent. But I was concerned that she would not be the Baylor coach for much longer because I thought she was probably going to retire within the next 3-5 years, if not sooner. The interest seemed to be more with grandkids than Baylor WBB. A very valid reason to retire.

I knew that someday, probably sooner rather than later, we would be looking for a new coach. I just didn't expect it to be the way it happened and to come completely out of the blue with no time to have a smooth transition. I knew the program would take a few steps back when that occurred, just like at UT, Tennessee, and ND when they lost their HOF coach. And that leads to point #6. I believe we have weathered the storm quite well and are past the trauma that comes with the loss of the elite coach that for every team that has one has to happen. We bit our bullet. It will be interesting to see how UConn and Stanford bite theirs in a few years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.