Caitlyn Clark Overrated?

6,417 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Daveisabovereproach
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She's definitely an upper-echelon player in the WNBA, but is she an all-timer like she's being made out to be? I'd take Candace Parker and Britney Griner over her all day every day.
IowaBear
She's played 4 games in the WNBA…
Dcheetah
Thank you.
Vae Victis
I think she'll be an ok player but never a super star like Brittney, Parker, Bird, etc.
IowaBear
She's definitely gonna be much better than an ok player. Not a fan of her or her antics. But she's gonna be damm good by the time she hangs it up in 12-15 years
ctxbear
OsoCoreyell said:

She's definitely an upper-echelon player in the WNBA, but is she an all-timer like she's being made out to be? I'd take Candace Parker and Britney Griner over her all day every day.
In fairness, I don't think anyone has "made her out to be" an "all-timer" in the WNBA yet. She's certainly in the conversation for the top 3-4 all-time greatest college players. And she'll continue to sell out arenas because she is fun to watch. In the elite women's league that ALWAYS requires a period of adjustment, in her first four games she is averaging 17 points a game and is the top rookie in that category.

But I'm not sure I've heard anyone who follows the WNBA say she'll be an "all-timer" in the WNBA. Most have expressed reserved optimism that she'll be a fun player to watch that will attract eyeballs to the game.
chorne68
Cut me a break...she set the country on fire with her play last year.
Big12Fan2024
After 4 games she's also on pace to become the WNBA's all time Turnover Queen before she finishes her 2nd year in the league.
HoustonBear15
Big12Fan2024 said:

After 4 games she's also on pace to become the WNBA's all time Turnover Queen before she finishes her 2nd year in the league.
Many of the turnovers she's been credited for aren't her fault.
IowaBear
Bingo. His post tells me he hasn't actually watched the games. Once her teammates adjust to her tight window passes the assists will go up and TOs down. The Fever have also played 2 of the leagues top 4 teams to start the year. Brutal schedule for them to start
boognish_bear
ScottS
Yes overrated
BBWCBear
Meanwhile, her games being sold out, viewing has picked up significantly, on and on so... there's that. As mentioned, a charter flight. What's not to like at this point? I don't follow the WNBA, but have watched a portion of a game or two.
Jorkel
WNBA players have made it a point to smack her in the mouth the moment she got into the league. Give her time to adjust and she will be a good player. Kelsey Plum's first 3 seasons were very meh and now she's a top player in the league.
fredbear
She is a very good player that may one day be great. American culture loves to crown kings a queens and celebrate in excess around media hype. I wish her 25 plus million Nike contract was less and that more really good players were part of the deal. But not in our culture. Winner take all, the rest, maybe even better players, have to settle for small potatoes. We love to worship the few and ignore the many. Perhaps a hold over from our British roots. Hail to the bball queen. If she goes lukewarm, Nike may look foolish in a few years. Hope not because clark plays with BU bears.
cowach
She is a very good player and her numbers will improve as the team around her improves.
WacoKelly83
I really enjoy watching her play with Kristy Wallace in the same backcourt. Similar players.
BUVA
WacoKelly83 said:

I really enjoy watching her play with Kristy Wallace in the same backcourt. Similar players.

Kristy has been starting last couple of games. NaLyssa only played 12 minutes; hope she's OK.
Dcheetah
Nalyssa was not in the final minutes in a close loss to the sun. Do the Fever have a new coach? Is she good with the coach?
MrGolfguy
CC hit some key long range 3's at the end last night to get the Fever's 1st win of the season.
BUVA
Dcheetah said:

Nalyssa was not in the final minutes in a close loss to the sun. Do the Fever have a new coach? Is she good with the coach?

Second year for this coach. We can only guess. Maybe she's still working on rotations. I noticed that, too. There are some new players, so perhaps seeing how they do. NaLyssa has been key player for the team last two years. To take her out in two close games is puzzling, and playing only 12 minutes... maybe not feeling well? Just hope not injured.
12au
Dcheetah said:

NaLyssa played normal minutes in the 1st half. Then was benched to start 3Q. Ended up coming in w/ 6min left in 4Q, then pulled for crunch time.

Temi was having a great game, and has been a better fit w/ CC so far. They've been struggling a bit on O, so her D has helped them get to transition O. She is more of a Steulke-type big than NaLyssa (or Boston for that matter).

They are still going to need NaLyssa, obviously, so it will be interesting to see what her role ends up being. It's also hard to know if Temi will continue this level of play.

TBH the Fever have a bottom-rung coach and GM. I'd guess one or both will be gone after the season.
BUVA
Temi was hot. Like you said, interesting to see if she can maintain that level.
Dcheetah
Thank y'all for the comments
BU71
cowach said:

She is a very good player and her numbers will improve as the team around her improves.
I think it is a matter of experience and time playing together. A team with Nalyssa and Boston will be strong upfront CC and Kristy should only get better with more time together. Assuming good coaching and depth and they should get better with time.
IowaBear
Boston has been pretty terrible this year. Her +/- numbers are terrible. They've been much better with her on the bench
BU71
IowaBear said:

Boston has been pretty terrible this year. Her +/- numbers are terrible. They've been much better with her on the bench
That surprises me, what seems to be her issue?
IowaBear
I think it's what you said. Time together. They need time to gel. You can tell watching the Fever that both Smith and Boston are still getting used to playing with CC and her style (Smith is adjusting faster imo) Give Boston some time and I bet her +/- numbers improve dramatically
BearTiger
It's like that with any team in college and WNBA, when you bring new players in, especially when there are star players brought in. It will take time for them to communicate well, trust each other, and gel as a team. But coaching staff and owner are focusing their efforts on high profile #1 pick Clark right now. Everyone knows it's all about selling tickets, tv $$$, etc.
12au
BU71 said:

That surprises me, what seems to be her issue?

It's been really odd. Toughest stretch I've ever seen from her, going back to freshman yr at SC. I'd be shocked if it doesn't turn around though
GoldenBear007
Have to remember the WNBA season started only a little over a month after she had played in the national championship. Thats quite the short turnaround and not a lot of time to build rapport with your new teammates. I'd give that same excuse to all the rookies.

As someone else already said, many of her turnovers are due to teammates not handling her long passes. again, those will start jelling with time.

She's playing well considering the enormous pressure placed on her. I think she'll be fine in the long run.
Dcheetah
Nalyssa has been demoted to 6th man because of her defense.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2024/05/25/indiana-fever-caitlin-clark-run-out-of-gas-in-loss-to-las-vegas-aces-wnba-score-stats/73767577007/
Dcheetah
Nalyssa 3 pts on 1of 3 shots and 4rbs in 19 min. She can't be happy. Indy Star reports Caitlin and Boston are the face of the franchise. I wonder if they are going to move her later.
IowaBear
Her play is matching her minutes… she's been bad this year. (Boston was too, but she's turning the corner) reality is Smith is being outplayed by the girl from USC
BUVA
IowaBear said:

Her play is matching her minutes… she's been bad this year. (Boston was too, but she's turning the corner) reality is Smith is being outplayed by the girl from USC

This is the last year of her rookie contract. Will be interesting to see what happens next season.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.