Seed prediction thread

18,218 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Eball
BaylorProud77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow
The Old BEAR
TechDawgMc said:

bubbadog said:

I trust Bill Clinton and Donald Trump more than I trust the crooks, politicos and fixers who make up the women's bracket for the NCAA.

You have one word too many there. Just delete the word women's and it's still true. The NCAA is corrupt in every sport
And Trump is a magnificent President.
RealLarryDon
RealLarryDon
Booray
Deep thinker there. Lets see who would be the most vulnerable two-seed after Wallace's injury. Would it be BU or UT? If they had only played each other on a neutral court after Wallace got hurt. Then we could tell which team was better...
4th and Inches
Nailbiting over, time to go to work!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
fredbear
Reallarrydon is a troll. Not a BU student.
blackie
RealLarryDon said:

They don't know what will hit them.
57Bear
bearbone11 said:

538 Bracket

538 put out their bracket projections. They have us with better shot to advance than Louisville, so we can't complain too much. I think they give Tennessee too much credit so it could be even easier. Only Connecticut has higher title odds, though they are the prohibitive favorite.
Thanks. Great post.
4th and Inches
blackie said:

RealLarryDon said:

They don't know what will hit them.
pain...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
bearbone11
Well Kristy was our #3 scorer so shows what they know. They have no answer inside so we should crunch them pretty easily.
greggor25
Told you guys we would be a two in Lexington. They want to see us play Louisville and get physical.

I'm wondering if the injury to Wallace hurt our seeding.
Pale Rider
greggor25 said:

Told you guys we would be a two in Lexington. They want to see us play Louisville and get physical.

The injuries at Notre Dame (more extensive than ours) obviously didn't affect their seeding. It's all about bias; that's it.
bearbone11
It's mostly meaningless, but Grambling is by far the weakest team in the entire tournament. Our first game could be legitimately painful to watch. Louisville has a much tougher opponent in Boise State, even though they are the 1 seed. They shouldn't have any trouble, but I found it interesting. The seeding of the 13-16 seeds seems almost completely random to me. Some of the 16 seeds are better than some of the 14 seeds by the useful computer metrics. Geography isn't the answer, since they are sending some teams a long way to get crunched. Maybe that 2% chance of a major upset in front of us plays out.
bubbadog
greggor25 said:

I can't help but believe it hurt our seeding. So the committee ignored our record -- including our record without Wallace -- and projected us as a lesser team.

Compare to the men's tournament. Tech isn't the same team anymore with their injury situation. They wound up losing 9 games. Yet they still got a 3 seed based more on what they achieved before the injury.

Same with Auburn that got a 4 seed but played the past several weeks more like a 6.

We beat one of the best 8 teams in the country without Wallace, and on a neutral court, and it means nothing.

Wow.
HoustonBear15
RealLarryDon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Im still waiting for you to explain how Louisville matches up with us
We have absolutely no one who can stop Asia Durr. We couldn't stop the little girl from Mississippi St with better guards last year and Durr can run circles around her. Morris has played well, but she can't and won't stop Durr. Kalani also won't get the benefit of the doubt outside the Big 12. Sit back and watch how quickly she gets into foul trouble once we leave Waco for one of the few times this year outside the Big 12.

It won't matter though. I can see us losing to Tennessee before we get the shot at Louisville. Elite 8 is once again our ceiling but the Sweet 16 is a more likely ending spot this year. We have a good shot next year though!
I have faith in Didi or even Dekeiya to guard Durr. Even Moon could get a shot if she's needed for her defense. Durr is going to get points because that's what she does but she won't be enough by herself to beat us. I have no doubt that Cox can neutralize Hines-Allen. The question for Louisville would be who could stop Kalani.

Nonetheless, both teams have to make it through their schedule first before we can even think about playing them Who's to say Louisville doesn't get knocked out by Stanford or Missouri??
BaylorBears_254
Definitely dont see us putting Cohen on Durr unless it's a switch off. We will most likely have Morris, Juicy, and maybe Didi guard her.

Morris's on ball defense is similar to Sims, (although Sims was waaay more physical), she will be in Durr's face, but I'm almost certain they will run picks so Brown can switch on to Durr.
blackie
greggor25 said:

In one sense no, IMO. It just provided them a convenient excuse to allow them to seed their chosen ones as they wanted to all along. ESPN helped with cover by showing the injury clip on the show. We were not going to get a one over the others unless it was so obvious that even a biased observer couldn't deny us. The injury gave them the excuse they needed not to have to go against what they wanted in the first place. Had the rules allowed we could have replaced Kristy with Odyssey it would not have made a difference.

The irony.........if we play like we can all they did was make it more difficult for some teams to maximize their run in the tournament because of a possible under seeding of BU.
bearbone11
This is accurate. Once Louisville clinched their spot we were screwed because we would never get dropped below Notre Dame. They were anointed a long time ago. I agree that dropping us because they felt our schedule was lacking actually hurts the other teams. Louisville should be playing Texas or South Carolina, teams they would likely handle easily. Instead they got us, and I hope we take advantage.

I understand the NCAA wants to reward teams for tough schedules, but this approach creates imbalance. The "most deserving" criteria should determine who makes the tournament, but seeding should be done by how good the teams are. Of course this is analysis far above the level of an NCAA committee which still uses the RPI.
HoustonBear15
BaylorBears_254 said:

Definitely dont see us putting Cohen on Durr unless it's a switch off. We will most likely have Morris, Juicy, and maybe Didi guard her.

Morris's on ball defense is similar to Sims, (although Sims was waaay more physical), she will be in Durr's face, but I'm almost certain they will run picks so Brown can switch on to Durr.
Cohen has had to defend guards like Atkins and Carleton this season. Durr is the same height as Atkins and has similar speed. Not saying that's Cohen will be assigned to Durr, but I would trust her if she was.
BaylorProud77
Ditto
4th and Inches
bearbone11 said:

I understand the NCAA wants to reward teams for tough schedules, but this approach creates imbalance. The "most deserving" criteria should determine who makes the tournament, but seeding should be done by how good the teams are. Of course this is analysis far above the level of an NCAA committee which still uses the RPI.
there has to be a line somewhere between rewarding teams that play tough schedules and rewarding teams that win their scheduled games... how were we to know that teams on our schedule that were good recently turned out to be not good this year?

We demolished our lesser opponents, we beat all others except a top 10 UCLA team under extenuating circumstances. If ND gets a pass, we should get a pass for that loss. We won our conference undefeated and won our tourney. We didnt circumnavigate other teams due to conference scheduling...

–Horace

BaylorBears_254
They definitely have the same size and speed, but their play-style is extremely different
Jacques Strap
Gruvin said:

bearbone11 said:

there has to be a line somewhere between rewarding teams that play tough schedules and rewarding teams that win their scheduled games... how were we to know that teams on our schedule that were good recently turned out to be not good this year?

We demolished our lesser opponents, we beat all others except a top 10 UCLA team under extenuating circumstances. If ND gets a pass, we should get a pass for that loss. We won our conference undefeated and won our tourney. We didnt circumnavigate other teams due to conference scheduling...
I think we all know it's the name on the Jersey. If Texas had our schedule and posted the same record then they would be a one seed.
Eball
Jacques Strap said:

Gruvin said:

bearbone11 said:

I think we all know it's the name on the Jersey. If Texas had our schedule and posted the same record then they would be a one seed.

And that is true scandal or not we will never be viewed the same as Texas or any other blue blood. The way it has always been of course that makes it even more fun when we kick their butts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.