Baylor Head Coach Kim Mulkey Would Welcome White House Visit

28,342 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saddle Up!
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son is going in May on a intern scholarship. This is his dream to work in politics. He is super excited and I am super scared. Lolol. It will be a great experience for him and he loves history so I can't wait for him to see and tour all things. Going to cost me some money
historian
Although I have not looked at this one (or any of them lately), I used this series in Europe and found them very helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Washington-EYEWITNESS-ebook/dp/B07FF1B75W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1TZANFTZ99LPT&keywords=dk+washington+dc+2019&qid=1556404825&s=books&sprefix=dk+wash%2Cstripbooks%2C193&sr=1-3

4th and Inches
historian said:

Gruvin said:

historian said:

I know. At the beginning of the century had a few opportunities to visit Europe and discovered the same issue in Berlin, Paris, Prague, London, and other cities: a week is barely enough for an introduction. To really experience all that these historic places have to offer would take much longer. Washington, D.C. is not nearly as old but still has many fine museums and so much history in or near the city. You could easily spend an entire week just in the Smithsonian and not do it all!
i know! we only got thru the national air & space and museum of natural history... planning a longer trip, wife really wants to go back.
If you do, don't miss the National Archives. It's there on the mall near the Smithsonian and it does not take long to see the main exhibits: Declaration of Independence from 1776 & U.S. Constitution from 1787. The other stuff is interesting too: early treaty with Japan (mid-19th century), something from Lincoln assassination, etc. My memory fades and it's possible they may have switched some things out.

Besides the Smithsonian--Museum of American History is always great--there is the Holocaust Museum and lots of art galleries, some private. When I go back, I want to visit the U.S. Capitol building & maybe the Supreme Court and Library of Congress. If you have a car, there are lots of great things to see within a short drive (some available by train): Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home), Ft. McHenry in Baltimore (where the events that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner), Annapolis & the Naval Academy, Richmond, Manassas (two Civil War battles fought outside this D.C. suburb), Charlottesvile with UVA (originally designed by Thomas Jefferson) & Monticello, Philadelphia (many obvious historical sites--especially Independence Hall), and so on.

Speaking of the Civil War, depending on transportation and time, there are many historical sites relating to those events within a 50-100 mile radius of D.C. plus lots of scenic driving: Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Shenandoah Valley, etc. With unlimited resources, I could spend months touring the area!
Brother, you are speaking my language... Been to Mt Vernon, Monticello, Independence Hall in Philly, and Gettysburg in different trips over the last few years. Every vacation includes historic stops, even our honeymoon did!
historian
Gruvin said:

historian said:

If you do, don't miss the National Archives. It's there on the mall near the Smithsonian and it does not take long to see the main exhibits: Declaration of Independence from 1776 & U.S. Constitution from 1787. The other stuff is interesting too: early treaty with Japan (mid-19th century), something from Lincoln assassination, etc. My memory fades and it's possible they may have switched some things out.

Besides the Smithsonian--Museum of American History is always great--there is the Holocaust Museum and lots of art galleries, some private. When I go back, I want to visit the U.S. Capitol building & maybe the Supreme Court and Library of Congress. If you have a car, there are lots of great things to see within a short drive (some available by train): Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home), Ft. McHenry in Baltimore (where the events that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner), Annapolis & the Naval Academy, Richmond, Manassas (two Civil War battles fought outside this D.C. suburb), Charlottesvile with UVA (originally designed by Thomas Jefferson) & Monticello, Philadelphia (many obvious historical sites--especially Independence Hall), and so on.

Speaking of the Civil War, depending on transportation and time, there are many historical sites relating to those events within a 50-100 mile radius of D.C. plus lots of scenic driving: Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Shenandoah Valley, etc. With unlimited resources, I could spend months touring the area!
Brother, you are speaking my language... Been to Mt Vernon, Monticello, Independence Hall in Philly, and Gettysburg in different trips over the last few years. Every vacation includes historic stops, even our honeymoon did!
I really am a historian!
Born_A_Bear
Our Lady Bears are in DC and doing some express sightseeing per their Twitter. Sorry, I can't copy and post.
Jack Bauer
Jacques Strap
^^ Looks like a beautiful day. So much good stuff to see in DC I'm glad they went.
Jack Bauer
The President's daily schedule says he will welcome the Lady Bears at 3:45PM EST.
Old300Bear
Nice of Chet Edwards to arrange some special things for them. Is he a lobbyist now?
Johnny Bear
There was a nice mention of the event this morning on "Fox and Friends". They also said the Virginia men's bball HC declined an invitation because he (supposedly) couldn't get his team back together due to some of them being too busy with other things like preparing for pro ball (really weak sauce, IMO). Glad KM and the Lady Bears had the class to take advantage of a rare and deserved opportunity.
slimecap

slimecap
bowdedg
Jack Bauer
slimecap

bowdedg
Jacques Strap
They are getting a heck of a good tour of DC. Glad to see Rep. Allred take time out to meet the team. Looks like he is all smiles and enjoying it.
Tyler Chamber
Tyler Chamber
TheHill.com will be carrying the event LIVE @ 3:45et. Log on to TheHill.com
slimecap
Choice of Chick-fil-A, McDonalds or Wendy's for lunch
per ESPN Central Texas

slimecap
Here's hoping that Kalani or Chloe
will get a Champion commercial from 1 of the 3 food chains in the WNBA.

EAT LIKE A CHAMPION
Tyler Chamber
WashingtonPost.com carrying it LIVE also.
whitetrash
slimecap said:

Choice of Chick-fil-A, McDonalds or Wendy's for lunch
per ESPN Central Texas

Looks like Burger King was in the mix too.
Jacques Strap
It would be nice if this visit reminded everyone that this is a cool opportunity to get access to a VIP tour of the Capital, monuments and the White House. It's not a political statement, it's a once in a lifetime road trip for college kids that are smart enough to take it. Clemson and Baylor were smart to say yes to a visit to DC.

Glad they didn't let some some knucklehead political writer with an agenda talk them out of a free fun road trip.
baylor1984
Jacques Strap said:

It would be nice if this visit reminded everyone that this is a cool opportunity to get access to a VIP tour of the Capital, monuments and the White House. It's not a political statement, it's a once in a lifetime road trip for college kids that are smart enough to take it. Clemson and Baylor were smart to say yes to a visit to DC.

Glad they didn't let some some knucklehead political writer with an agenda talk them out of a free fun road trip.
Amen. It doesn't matter what party is in office you should go. What a privilege and honor not only for these young ladies but also for Baylor University.
Jack Bauer
Who told me there was no way Trump would serve fast food today??

bowdedg
First President to "offer" food of any kind to a Baylor Women's BB team.
Wichitabear
I love that cap
Wichitabear
Ditto Double
bowdedg
bowdedg
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bowdedg said:

First President to "offer" food of any kind to a Baylor Women's BB team.
True, last two teams got a laurel and hearty handshake in the Rose Garden.
Wichitabear
Ok I'm getting a little misty eyed. I'm so glad our girls presented him with the jersey , hat, and ball. We have good students.
Wichitabear
Cool!
Wineguy89
Jack Bauer said:

Who told me there was no way Trump would serve fast food today??

Gotta keep it consistent!! No favoritism and blown budgets. Pretty smart actually. (Although I'm glad they added Chik-Fil-A a little What-a-Burger snuck onto the plane would've been fun too!!)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.