2022 WBB Recruiting

41,403 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bearly
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can dunk on an 8 foot rim.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Kim recently began following KK Bransford, Grace Vanslooten, and Ayanna Patterson on twitter.
Dcheetah
Ashlon Jackson just posted that she has notified the teams that are finalists but did not put out a list of those teams. She is expected to decide later this month. Anyone know if we were on that list?
BUatbirth
I got nothing. Adriacus Peratuun seemed to have some insight into Ashlon's recruitment.
Ashlon seems to be in full control of her recruitment, a very thoughtful and mature young lady.
Adriacus Peratuun
BUatbirth said:

I got nothing. Adriacus Peratuun seemed to have some insight into Ashlon's recruitment.
Ashlon seems to be in full control of her recruitment, a very thoughtful and mature young lady.
No firsthand knowledge. Someone who should know stuff thinks that:
1) the longer the process takes the better for Baylor,
2) the more detailed the research by Jackson, the better for Baylor.
UConn was her childhood "crush" team. But some of the realities of recruiting help Baylor: geography, education, roster situation, friendships, etc. The two items that UConn sell hard are the # and success of their players in the WNBA & their style of play [positionless ball movement]. The first was a hard argue for other teams but becomes less poignant every day as players retire and the current stars of the WNBA are mostly from other programs. Style of play is interesting......almost every team runs similar sets. It is simply how they run them and what options they focus on.

While Jackson's list likely includes several teams, the person who should have some insight thinks that it will come down to 2-3 teams including Baylor & UConn. They think Baylor's roster situation & geographic location may win the day.

FYI, Sammie Wagner [and family] continue to be Big Burning Lights about the future of Baylor Women's BB in the recruiting world. Lynchpin recruits that draw others are invaluable.
BUatbirth
Thanks for the thoughts! Seems like a solid player and person.
Dcheetah
Thank you for the info. Does Sammie have significant pull beyond Tx based recruits? I'm guessing yes because of her Blue Star and USA tryouts and play in Sweden?

Would you mind sharing relative strengths of Ashlon and K.K. Bransford? I would be thrilled with either.
Adriacus Peratuun
Dcheetah
Nice! Jada is also friends with Maryam Dauda too!
BUatbirth
Jada seems like a real spark plug. After this season we're gonna need more puffs!
Adriacus Peratuun
Dcheetah said:

Would you mind sharing relative strengths of Ashlon and K.K. Bransford? I would be thrilled with either.
Bransford: more athletic. Less developed skill set. Some shot mechanic issues [the currently trendy "super arc" on jump shot]. Very similar to Baylor wings of the 2009-2013 time period.......superior athlete working on skills. Better defender [relative evaluation.......few high schoolers are good defenders].

Jackson: understands game. Great understanding of angles and play development. Needs to work on athleticism and conditioning. Good skill development. Plays smooth which works on O but lacks the urgency on D.

Historically, Bransford is more the Mulkey type recruit. But Jackson is more the modern style of player. Shooter, creator, understands "what" and "why" on O. Really solid at understanding passing angles.

Personally, I think it is easier to find finishers rather than creators and always value creators slightly higher as players.
Dcheetah
Thank you! Helpful information.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blueeyedbear said:

DFW Bill said:

Queen Egbo has dunked in Baylor practices on a regulation 10' rim, NaLyssa Smith may be able to as well
Yes she has, Nalyssa has with a volleyball. Amazing Adriacus spotted the 9' rim !!!
Smith has done it on Twitter
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Dcheetah said:

Thank you for the info. Does Sammie have significant pull beyond Tx based recruits? I'm guessing yes because of her Blue Star and USA tryouts and play in Sweden?

Sammie has national pull.
blueeyedbear
ScottS said:

I got do fired up I went and drug the Jr dribblers goal out of the garage to throw down a few
slimecap
blueeyedbear said:

I got so fired up I went and drug the Jr dribblers goal out of the garage to throw down a few

Brian Ethridge
Staff
ScottS said:

Need video proof
BaylorBearWBBFan
https://instagr.am/p/CFA_3SaH4bf
Dcheetah
I think Ashlon Jackson is scheduled to announce her choice this coming week if she doesn't change her schedule!
Wbbfan29
I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. I have a feeling she leaving Texas.
Dcheetah
Maybe. We'll see. She has a lot of reasons to stay home. Hoping she will stay a teammate with Sammie.
Dcheetah
Ashlon Smith ranked #1 2022 wbb in Tx per Prep Girls Hoops
Sa'Myah Smith #2!
BaylorBearWBBFan
Some new 2022 players CKM now follows on twitter:
- Maya Nnaji, a 6-4 forward from MN
- Amina Muhammad, a 6-3 forward from DeSoto
- Sa'myah Smith, a 6-4 forward from DeSoto (already offered)
- Indya Nivar, a 5-9 guard from North Carolina
- Ta'Niya Latson, a 5-8 guard from Georgia

Offers:
- Janiah Barker
- Ayanna Patterson
- Lauren Betts
- Ashlon Jackson
- Sa'Myah Smith
BaylorBearWBBFan
A 10-foot dunk for Patterson:
Dcheetah
any idea if this means we are getting less traction with our initial offers or just in case?

Nice dunk for Ayanna!
Dcheetah
Thought Ashlon was going to announce where she was going later this month. Anyone know if her timeline has changed?
ScottS
We should for sure offer those that can dunk
BaylorBearWBBFan
Offer out to Grace Vanslooten:
BaylorBearWBBFan
Adracius (and others who have seen a lot of the Texas recruits), what do you think of PBR's 2022 rankings?
Wbbfan29
In looked in her Twitter likes and she seems to have a lot of Uconn, and Oregon, and a little bit of Louisville.
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

Adracius (and others who have seen a lot of the Texas recruits), what do you think of PBR's 2022 rankings?
Well....

1) almost all scouting is highly flawed. Even the best coaches [Mulkey, Auriemma, etc.] would be happy [ecstatic] with a 60% success rate. Think of Baylor's 2018 recruiting class: #1 in the country. 2 rotation players, 2 transfers, 1 player on bench [not in regular 8 player rotation]. Most coaches would live with that result.

2) scouting/recruiting services are FAR worse at analysis than top coaches. Some fixate on one aspect [athleticism or skills or measurables] of players to the neglect of other aspects. Some are always looking for the "next Jordan" and ignoring a court full of Pippens. Most fixate on the occasional spectacular plays rather than the continued making of mundane plays. Few are good at seeing players' upside, they focus on current status [even when a player is already close to maxing out].

Realities....

3) you have to rely on Summer ball. Some high school competition is bad, some really bad, some atrocious. Need to see "good on good" and "great on great". Even Summer ball is heavily lopsided. Does a recruit's team play the top events? Does that team have sufficient overall talent to allow the player the opportunity to showcase their talents deep into the tournament or are they always bounced early?

4) never believe the measurables. Heights.......false more often than true. In 2021 recruiting, Texas has commitments from Harmon [listed at 5'6] and Hunter [listed at 5'8]. They are more likely 5'4 and 5'6. That difference matters.

COVID......

5) Summer 2020 was messed up. Some events towards the end. Many players were kept home by their parents.

6) When the normal process is to see top players over 6-7 tournaments and instead you see them at 1 tournament, that 1 tournament tends to have an oversized impact on rating. Imagine players on a team where the point guard misses that 1 tourney. Offensive flow for the team non-existent. Other players get over-valued because they had one great tournament.

Other...

7) Injury situations. Sa'Myah Smith was dinged due to her knee injury. Based on her season until that point, she is clearly a top [1 or 2] Texas recruit [IMHO]. Now she is ranked behind Carleigh Wenzel. Smith is EASILY a Top 20 player. Her videos of her rehab are solid. Her situation is one where some extra work would have fixed the ranking.

ESPN....

8) they want national interest and HIGHLY encourage geographical diversity in rankings. That hurts high talent areas like Texas. As the new ranking service [and based in Texas], they went out of their way to show that they were not regionally biased......and as a result underranked some Texas kids in 2022 and 2023.

The players that Baylor has offered in 2022 & 2023 are all CLEARLY top 20 players. Most are clearly top 10.

The new rankings did fix some errors: Betts, Barker & Patterson have always been the top 3 players in 2022......old rankings having them lower were laughable.

Expect the rankings to "rearrange" heavily [far more than normal] during the season and next Summer. This "missed Summer" will correct over time.

Adriacus [note spelling].
Adriacus Peratuun
One Other Important Thought re Recruiting:

Fit.

Baylor and South Carolina recruit similar players.
UConn and Notre Dame recruit similar players.

Not every player is a great fit for every team. Not every recruit is a great fit for every school.

How can any national recruiting service appropriately rank players that are great fits for some programs but terrible fits for other programs?

Inherently, recruiting is situation specific.
Wichitabear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

One Other Important Thought re Recruiting:

Fit.

Baylor and South Carolina recruit similar players.
UConn and Notre Dame recruit similar players.

Not every player is a great fit for every team. Not every recruit is a great fit for every school.

How can any national recruiting service appropriately rank players that are great fits for some programs but terrible fits for other programs?

Inherently, recruiting is situation specific.
Great points!
GoldenBear
Dcheetah said:

any idea if this means we are getting less traction with our initial offers or just in case?

Nice dunk for Ayanna!
4 steps with no dribble wont cut it in real games.
Dcheetah
It will if you're Lebron.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.