Hearing Baylor in the mix/leads for transfer Lavender Briggs from Florida

29,823 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wbbfan29
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scout Bear said:

Take a charge;
play whack a mole defense

Media Bear
Based on what I've read from posts pro and con --- I say:

drahthaar
"Next level" of coaching and managing players is a stretch I wouldn't even consider making. "Next level" in recruiting players out of high school is one that can easily and honestly be considered. We haven't exactly been the recipient of a constant flow of those folks in recent years, relying on transfers to fill slots. Like most others, I aint knocking the results or even the method....it is that there is a different approach from previous years.
woodsa75
Just read the news about CAM lavender would be great and also the other guard jordyn Merritt
longtimebear
sicem45 said:

Take it for what its worth. Nicki is about to take this program to another level.
How about we stay at the level we've been at for the last decade?
That would be outstanding in my book.
Wbbfan29
Wbbfan29
Also schools dont announce outgoing transfers on their social media so I dont think you would have seen anything.
robby44
longtimebear said:

sicem45 said:

Take it for what its worth. Nicki is about to take this program to another level.

Right.
What's next level
11 more straight conference championships?
Bear-Runner
Wbbfan29 said:

@woodsa75.... Guess you didn't see this yet....
woodsa75
I just saw it thank you. I surprising for sure
Chibears2
Florida has just named an interim head coach. The current head coach is released from contract per sources. I think some on here speculated whether that would effect Lavendar's eligibility or not.

https://floridagators.com/news/2021/7/16/newbauer-steps-down-as-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx
TxRainMkr
Maybe Lavender can bring Jordyn Merritt with her to Baylor.

sicem45
lookin4awin said:

I guess you are pushing out the didn't beat AnM for the fourth time when Griner was a sophomore and the Louisville mauling when Griner was a senior. However, I think we should all recognize that a few of our prior teams probably went further than talent expectations. I will just throw out there the first national championship team that beat a stacked LSU team in the semi finals.

If Nicki has the winning percentage that our prior coach had (and I hope she does) I think we will all be happy. I am just not sure there is much room for a level above where we already were.
Not winning multiple national titles with Griner was a failure and giant miss.

She won most of her games to her credit but when it came to crunch time in the NCAAT, lack of midrange/3 point shooting hurt her teams in the tournament and cost them chances to advance to multiple final fours and maybe a chance to win a national title. She refused to adjust offensively to get more shooters.

This is why I am excited about bringing Nicki in. She will provide a more modern approach offensively to go with these high caliber athletes. It was also needed because recruiting fell off a cliff dramatically. We are fine for this year but once this senior class leaves, there are many many holes to fill. Kim lost her drive towards the end, four prep recruits the last three recruiting classes said all that need to be said.
blueeyedbear
When Kim signed Griner one of the people she consulted was Bobby Night. He told Kim to surround her with shooters. He did not say to surround her with shooters and have them throw the ball into Griner...He meant surround her with shooters and have them shoot from the arch.
TxRainMkr
Makenzie was supposed to be the outside shooter and NCAA All-American to go with Griner.
HustleBear
woodsa75 said:

Just read the news about CAM lavender would be great and also the other guard jordyn Merritt
Briggs would absolutely be a great addition. She's a future 1st round pick! Heck, if she was in this past draft...she might've went 2 or 3.

As for Merritt. She has some potential, but I don't think she'd be a take.
BUbearinARK
slimecap said:

Scout Bear said:

Take a charge;
play whack a mole defense

SirBearALot
JM IS 6'3" and maybe she would want to move back closer to home and be with her team mate Lavendar. ?
T-REX
robby44 said:

longtimebear said:

sicem45 said:

Right.
What's next level
more than only 4 final fours in 21 years is the next level. Big 12 titles don't hold the same weight as final four appearances. Winning the big 12 is awesome but that doesn't mean you are the best. It just means you are better than 9 other teams, most if which suck. Final 4s are not a regular thing for BU wbb and they should be given the talent, facilities, & budget we have had.

It's the same thing I said about our mbb team. Winning the big 12 was fun but nobody cares about conference titles when you make the final 4. In 2020 our mbb failed to secure the big 12 title at the end but had they made the final 4, covid be damned, nobody would have cared about the terrible losses to TCU & WVU that cost us a share of big 12 title.

It goes conference tourny title < reg season conference title < final 4 < natty. Nobody expects to win the natty every year but we should expect to be a final 4 team every year. Uconn has been for 12 straight now. Why can't we with our resources? 4 in 21 years was under performing so there is a higher ceiling to be had. Now let's go out & reach that ceiling together bears!!
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Eball
Most ridiculous post ever.from the guy who wears a dinosaur mask and chains so just par for the course. My 5 year old grandson loves you.
Adriacus Peratuun
robby44 said:

longtimebear said:

sicem45 said:

Right.
What's next level

Next Level = Final Fours being regular occurrences. See above.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

robby44 said:

longtimebear said:

sicem45 said:

Right.
What's next level

Next Level = Final Fours being regular occurrences. See above.
You do realize that by saying Kim and the program over her tenure is anything less than elite (top 5?) in the nation and that CNC will take us even higher is putting unrealistic expectations on CNC? I mean three years from now if we have not secured at least one final four(if not a National championship) and at least one #1 ranked recruiting class in the Nation as well as top 5 finishes in the others you will consider CNC a failure?
sicem45
Kim did good things but it's okay to aknowledgeable she also underachieved quite a bit. She is replaceable despite what many here think
baylor1984
sicem45 said:

Kim did good things but it's okay to aknowledgeable she also underachieved quite a bit. She is replaceable despite what many here think
How in the hell do you underachieve when you have the second most NC amongst active coaches and the 3rd most all time ? The WBB at Baylor was crap before she came. She built the program and won her first championship in year 5 as a 3 seed defeating 3 number 1's in the process. By winning that early on in her HC coaching career Kim raised expectations way above from what they should have been. Could she have won more NC with Griner, yes she could have but she also won a couple in 05 and 19 with lesser talent. I'll be damn happy in CNC can win 3 NC over the next 20 years.
sicem45
baylor1984 said:

How in the hell do you underachieve when you have the second most NC amongst active coaches and the 3rd most all time ? The WBB at Baylor was crap before she came. She built the program and won her first championship in year 5 as a 3 seed defeating 3 number 1's in the process. By winning that early on in her HC coaching career Kim raised expectations way above from what they should have been. Could she have won more NC with Griner, yes she could have but she also won a couple in 05 and 19 with lesser talent. I'll be damn happy in CNC can win 3 NC over the next 20 years.
4 final fours in 20+ years despite massive talent and resource advantages is the definition of underachievement. She is also stagnant, refusing to adapt to changes in the game today. Her offense was very stale which honestly was a giant reason for many of the early exits from the NCAAT. If they were just mediocre from shooting from 3/midrange, they would have advanced to a few more final fours and maybe have another title.

The program was about to take a nose dive once the senior class left as Kim stopped recruiting after that 2018 class. She resorted to transfer portal as she was lazy on the recruiting trail. Hiring Rice to replace Toyelle Wilson was a giant mistake from a recruiting perspective.

I thank LSU for taking Kim off our hands as it was only a matter of time before things took a nose dive.
baylor1984
sicem45 said:

baylor1984 said:

4 final fours in 20+ years despite massive talent and resource advantages is the definition of underachievement. She is also stagnant, refusing to adapt to changes in the game today. Her offense was very stale which honestly was a giant reason for many of the early exits from the NCAAT. If they were just mediocre from shooting from 3/midrange, they would have advanced to a few more final fours and maybe have another title.

The program was about to take a nose dive once the senior class left as Kim stopped recruiting after that 2018 class. She resorted to transfer portal as she was lazy on the recruiting trail. Hiring Rice to replace Toyelle Wilson was a giant mistake from a recruiting perspective.

I thank LSU for taking Kim off our hands as it was only a matter of time before things took a nose dive.
Kim didn't have massive talent or resource advantage 20 years ago. It's a program she built over time by winning first then demanding ( to many people's chagrin) more money, resources, facilities etc. for her program. It didn't happen overnight and quite frankly her success came so quickly that it gave many expectations that weren't realistic. Has Kim lost games in the elite 8 I thought she should win, yes she has but at the same time she won NC's that she shouldn't have. Only UConn over the last 20 years has had a superior program and KM would be the first to tell you that ( and she has on several occasions) she can't out coach Geno. Was it time for her to move on, it probably was but that in no way lessens on what she accomplished at her time at Baylor.
sicem45
baylor1984 said:

Kim didn't have massive talent or resource advantage 20 years ago. It's a program she built over time by winning first then demanding ( to many people's chagrin) more money, resources, facilities etc. for her program. It didn't happen overnight and quite frankly her success came so quickly that it gave many expectations that weren't realistic. Has Kim lost games in the elite 8 I thought she should win, yes she has but at the same time she won NC's that she shouldn't have. Only UConn over the last 20 years has had a superior program and KM would be the first to tell you that ( and she has on several occasions) she can't out coach Geno. Was it time for her to move on, it probably was but that in no way lessens on what she accomplished at her time at Baylor.
Geno is a master recruiter, look at all the #1 overall recruits he gets and other top 5 players. I am hoping Nicki can get more of these players. Kim struggled with getting the elite of the elite players at times.
baylor1984
sicem45 said:

baylor1984 said:

Geno is a master recruiter, look at all the #1 overall recruits he gets and other top 5 players. I am hoping Nicki can get more of these players. Kim struggled with getting the elite of the elite players at times.
I hope CNC can as well. It's hard to recruit at the level the Geno has.
T-REX
Saying Kim underachieved doesn't mean we don't praise the 3 natties we got with her. It just means we expected more than only 4 final 4 trips. I'm a huge supporter of all baylor sports, including wbb. If we don't make a final 4 in a sport, or a playoff spot in fball, then I'm disappointed. That's not me having unrealistic expectations. We are a power 5 athletic program who has proven we can compete at the highest levels in any sport.

It is ok to expect more. & it is ok to not settle in life people. We won back to back big 12 titles in football but lost the bowl game both years. I wasn't simply satisfied with winning big 12 for example. Had our mbb not made the final 4 this year, the big 12 title would have not satisfied me. You can say we'll t-rex you are insane & just think winning is everything & you would be correct. The only thing that matters is winning. Final 4 trips do so much more for recruiting than conference titles.

This is not meant to Bash Kim. People here asked how we can be better than what we were under Kim & there is realistic goals that can be set for the new staff & beyond that would factually be higher than what Kim did. Yes 3 natties was amazing. Yes all these conference titles are super great. But there are only 4 banners hanging at the end of the FC when there can be sooooo many more. It is ok to be thankful for what you have while also wanting & expecting more.

Never settle in life. If I settled, I wouldn't have just married a girl way out of my league
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
IowaBear
So anything other then a Natty this year would be a massive failure right ? After all some are claiming Kim should have had like 7/8. This teams top 7 is as good as any teams. Some of you all are setting yourselves up to be highly dissatisfied with CNC if she doesn't win big right now I
Wbbfan29
I hate how all the threads always drift off to talking about the same subject over and over. Can we stay on topic for once
TechDawgMc
Wbbfan29 said:

I hate how all the threads always drift off to talking about the same subject over and over. Can we stay on topic for once

I'd star this three or four times if i could.
IowaBear
sicem45 said:

baylor1984 said:

A program that just won a Natty 2 years ago and was a horrific call from most likely going back to back was about to nose dive ? You're a special kind of stupid. Your hatred for Kim creates irrational thoughts
lookin4awin
The logic of some seems to be the more derogatory things we say about the prior coach-the better Nicki's team will do. These posts scream of insecurity.

Why don't we just wait and evaluate how Nicki is doing by what we see on the court?

Everyone hopes she can carry the golden baton well. She's in charge...time will tell.
baylor1984
IowaBear said:

sicem45 said:

baylor1984 said:

A program that just won a Natty 2 years ago and was a horrific call from most likely going back to back was about to nose dive ? You're a special kind of stupid. Your hatred for Kim creates irrational thoughts
2 top 10 recruits in 20 plus two top transfers ( one only knows what would have happened if Kamara didn't tear her ACL). 1 top 10 recruit in 21 plus a couple of top transfers. Recruiting was just fine. Kim was using the portal to help supplement her team and keep it old. Men's BB has 5 of it's top 7 players as transfers and it's viewed as visionary and keeping your team old. Kim uses the transfer portal and it's viewed as recruiting is falling off. It's really comical.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.