Moon Ursin leaving LSU?

31,414 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dcheetah
Hairy Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I recall Moon considered Tulane, Baylor and South Carolina, coming out of High School.
slimecap
Hairy Bear said:

As I recall Moon considered Tulane, Baylor and South Carolina, coming out of High School.
Hi Hairy Bear,
Great memory !!

Nov 11, 2016
https://www.heraldguide.com/sports/wildcats-ursin-chooses-baylor-as-destination/
BUatbirth
Some good points. I would say that a roster makeup of ours, being a top 5 program, is sub par at best. You just can't take one player recruiting classes very often, and expect otherwise. I don't feel CNC's future depends on 5 star recruits. It depends on winning. Some really great players don't have 5 stars. Look at Maddie Cox,,,4 stars, not listed on ESPN top 60,,,but we all know different. I just don't put a ton of weight in the ESPN (Hoopgurlz) rankings. I don't think there is one recruit not impressed by CNC and staff. How that positive energy looks on the court is going to be key. CNC and staff are working their butts off recruiting. Recruiting takes place in many different ways,,,what current players are saying. I also am loving how this staff, and players, are pouring into the other teams, into the general student body etc. All this isn't for show, it's real, and it doesn't go unnoticed.
BaylorBears_254
BUatbirth said:

Some good points. I would say that a roster makeup of ours, being a top 5 program, is sub par at best. You just can't take one player recruiting classes very often, and expect otherwise. I don't feel CNC's future depends on 5 star recruits. It depends on winning. Some really great players don't have 5 stars. Look at Maddie Cox,,,4 stars, not listed on ESPN top 60,,,but we all know different. I just don't put a ton of weight in the ESPN (Hoopgurlz) rankings. I don't think there is one recruit not impressed by CNC and staff. How that positive energy looks on the court is going to be key. CNC and staff are working their butts off recruiting. Recruiting takes place in many different ways,,,what current players are saying. I also am loving how this staff, and players, are pouring into the other teams, into the general student body etc. All this isn't for show, it's real, and it doesn't go unnoticed.

I didn't necessarily mean a team full of 5 stars, but more so getting the better recruits and not just taking scraps to cover the open roster space.

I believe they're out there killing it, but it's just going to have to resemble to what we do on the court as well.
Dcheetah
CNC has already shown she is unwilling to take scraps to fill a roster per her transfer portal comments.
BaylorBears_254
Dcheetah said:

CNC has already shown she is unwilling to take scraps to fill a roster per her transfer portal comments.

i didn't say she did or would.

Just speaking in general on what not to do lol.

NC will be fine, she has a really good staff behind her to get the job done on the recruiting end, but she has to coach her ass off for sure.
Dcheetah
BUatbirth
Lynnp550
All good points, though how did y'all segue from Moon to this?
BUatbirth
Lynnp550 said:

Haaa,,,no clue. Sorry, back to the original scheduled program.
BaylorBears_254
Lynnp550 said:

I honestly have no idea
smoaky
Staff
Moon Ursin told me today (September 2nd) she is not coming back to Baylor, I posted this not a couple of hours ago or so in the Premium Section.

I know there has been speculation because she re-entered the transfer portal and is no longer with LSU.

Smoaky
EatMoreSalmon
Thanks, Smoaky.
Mulder
Perhaps Moon will take her talent to Austin?
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
itsjuzme
Mulder said:

Perhaps Moon will take her talent to Austin?

Sure hope not. Besides, I don't think the Texas coach would take transfers and bump his young recruits like KM did the last few years. I think that may have affected our last recruiting class.
Chibears2
Brian Ethridge said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

GrizBear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

setshot said:

The success of the Fab 5, or as they were designated at the time, the Fierce Five, was spotty to say the least.
Two transfers, Bickle injured and largely a player off the bench, Queen Egbo a junior before she matured late in the season into the player we hoped her to become. Only NaLyssa was ready for the role assigned to her, and she deserves enormous credit for her consistency and effort.

I have high hopes for Queen and NaLyssa this season, and I greatly desire to see the latter expand her game, as she gave promise of doing last year. I thought that she needed to be moved out from her position in the deep paint, and in the Tournament she moved out on the floor more and the results were edifying. I am still puzzled as to why we pretty much forgot about her in the fourth quarter against UCONN, but that is not the substance of my post today. I think that Collen will use her differently, and both Smith and Egbo will benefit from that.

I regret Moon's decision to leave, but she was thinking of the longer life situation, I am sure. I always had the impression that she and Baylor made a good fit, and I thoroughly enjoyed her game. She left it all on the floor.

We really don't know how the recruiting campaign is going, right now. We need at least a couple of quality players from the transfer portal, and a couple of good high school prospects coming in. There are a lot of holes to fill and depth to assemble. It will be an interesting couple of months upcoming.
2022 recruiting will be hard. Fighting against years of relationships. Limited camp exposure. Conference upheaval.

A deep run in the 2022 Tourney with a happy team may help turn the tide on 2023 recruiting. Getting to the 3rd weekend with smiling players changes things.

Realistically, will be lucky to have more than 5 players returning. Any more than 5 is a big get. Not going to be surprised to see only 2-3 HS players in 2022 signing class but 3-4 players in via the transfer portal.

This season will be the year that the offensive and defensive identities have to be sold. The roster mess that Coach Collen inherited needs a vision to sell. One thing: no trouble selling playing time.

Wait wha
You've been trumpeting that getting rid of Kim was the miracle cure. Now Collen inherited a "roster mess" and she needs a "vision to sell"?

I have never used the phrase miracle cure. Never.

I do believe that the change was needed and will pay dividends for the university, athletic program and WBB program in the long run.

In the short term, Collen inherited a roster mess. 1 grad transfer, 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore. That imbalance is by any rationale standard a mess.

And every college coach in every sport is selling a vision. Every single one. Performance fleshes out that vision. Most get a few seasons to flesh out that vision. Colleen likely has one season. "How we will play" is an easier show with players. Season 2 will be dictated by transfers. Transfers for season 2 depend on performance in season 1. And Collen isn't simply fighting opponents but also a contingent within her school's supposed fan base.

Yep, but some fail to see it.
Some just truly see things differently. They should be allowed that, as well. I really think most people want Coach Colleen to be successful. They would like to see immediate results so they can feel more hopeful, but that is not fair. It will take time. A good season this year will go along way. Kim had a lot of faults, and there are those who overlook those; she also had success and built a winning program out of absolutely nothing, and those who want to edit that out of the BU history are just as wrong as the other side.
geewago
Chibears2 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

GrizBear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

setshot said:

The success of the Fab 5, or as they were designated at the time, the Fierce Five, was spotty to say the least.
Two transfers, Bickle injured and largely a player off the bench, Queen Egbo a junior before she matured late in the season into the player we hoped her to become. Only NaLyssa was ready for the role assigned to her, and she deserves enormous credit for her consistency and effort.

I have high hopes for Queen and NaLyssa this season, and I greatly desire to see the latter expand her game, as she gave promise of doing last year. I thought that she needed to be moved out from her position in the deep paint, and in the Tournament she moved out on the floor more and the results were edifying. I am still puzzled as to why we pretty much forgot about her in the fourth quarter against UCONN, but that is not the substance of my post today. I think that Collen will use her differently, and both Smith and Egbo will benefit from that.

I regret Moon's decision to leave, but she was thinking of the longer life situation, I am sure. I always had the impression that she and Baylor made a good fit, and I thoroughly enjoyed her game. She left it all on the floor.

We really don't know how the recruiting campaign is going, right now. We need at least a couple of quality players from the transfer portal, and a couple of good high school prospects coming in. There are a lot of holes to fill and depth to assemble. It will be an interesting couple of months upcoming.
2022 recruiting will be hard. Fighting against years of relationships. Limited camp exposure. Conference upheaval.

A deep run in the 2022 Tourney with a happy team may help turn the tide on 2023 recruiting. Getting to the 3rd weekend with smiling players changes things.

Realistically, will be lucky to have more than 5 players returning. Any more than 5 is a big get. Not going to be surprised to see only 2-3 HS players in 2022 signing class but 3-4 players in via the transfer portal.

This season will be the year that the offensive and defensive identities have to be sold. The roster mess that Coach Collen inherited needs a vision to sell. One thing: no trouble selling playing time.

Wait wha
You've been trumpeting that getting rid of Kim was the miracle cure. Now Collen inherited a "roster mess" and she needs a "vision to sell"?

I have never used the phrase miracle cure. Never.

I do believe that the change was needed and will pay dividends for the university, athletic program and WBB program in the long run.

In the short term, Collen inherited a roster mess. 1 grad transfer, 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore. That imbalance is by any rationale standard a mess.

And every college coach in every sport is selling a vision. Every single one. Performance fleshes out that vision. Most get a few seasons to flesh out that vision. Colleen likely has one season. "How we will play" is an easier show with players. Season 2 will be dictated by transfers. Transfers for season 2 depend on performance in season 1. And Collen isn't simply fighting opponents but also a contingent within her school's supposed fan base.

Yep, but some fail to see it.
Some just truly see things differently. They should be allowed that, as well. I really think most people want Coach Colleen to be successful. They would like to see immediate results so they can feel more hopeful, but that is not fair. It will take time. A good season this year will go along way. Kim had a lot of faults, and there are those who overlook those; she also had success and built a winning program out of absolutely nothing, and those who want to edit that out of the BU history are just as wrong as the other side.
Very good post there Chibears2. Blue star from me.
Dcheetah
That was CKM and she usually took only 1 major transfer per year and until last year when she needed a lot more because her HS recruiting jad fallen off so. Vic took >4 traansfers last yr and 4 this yr at PG, SG,, F-C, and C and chased off many young players so please stop the misinformation.
Bulldog
Dcheetah said:

That was CKM and she usually took only 1 major transfer per year and until last year when she needed a lot more because her HS recruiting jad fallen off so. Vic took >4 traansfers last yr and 4 this yr at PG, SG,, F-C, and C and chased off many young players so please stop the misinformation.
I'm looking at Tx roster and see only 2 transfers last year and this year. Ebo and Lambert last year and Matharu and Lattimore this year, and you can't really count Lattimore as a transfer. She just got out of her LOI. I don't know who you think he ran off because Vic is loading up UT with major talent and we ain't doing nothin.... They lost Taylor, but look who they added!
itsjuzme
Dcheetah said:

According to @bulldog you may be the one misinformed. I'm sorry I loved KM and the program she built, a program that would never have been without her I might add, but she recruited grad transfers in and bumped her young high school All Americans out of playing time four years straight. Apparently recruits started paying attention to that.
Dcheetah
You are right on Tx 2020-21 because there were 3 ((Ebo, Lambert, Gaston) and I had counted Ortiz too but she had transsferred in earlier rhe year bedore under Aston. Obviously less than 4+ but more than us until CKMs last year. And Lattimore was officially on the Syracuse roster and had to enter the transfer portal to transfer to Tx so that is 4 for this year- Lattimore, Matharu, King-Hawea, and Femme M. What I am calling misinformation is your comment that Vic doeant do this and clearly he does it even more.
Bulldog
Dcheetah said:

You are right on Tx 2020-21 because there were 3 ((Ebo, Lambert, Gaston) and I had counted Ortiz too but she had transsferred in earlier rhe year bedore under Aston. Obviously less than 4+ but more than us until CKMs last year. And Lattimore was officially on the Syracuse roster and had to enter the transfer portal to transfer to Tx so that is 4 for this year- Lattimore, Matharu, King-Hawea, and Femme M. What I am calling misinformation is your comment that Vic doeant do this and clearly he does it even more.
Vic came in with a bare cupboard. I think Gaston had committed to Ms St so she just followed Vic. I don't think you'll see him getting many more transfers after this year since with Lattimore and the McDonalds All Americans Rori Harmon, .Kyndall .Hunter and Aliyah Moore, it's like the #3 recruiting class in the nation. Other than Taylor who said she wanted to play closer to home, I don't see anybody he's running off. He is stockpiling mega talent...even more than what he had at Ms St, They are going to be scary good real soon....
Dcheetah
Vic did not come in with a bare cupboard. They had the #1 WBNA pick and Celeste Taylor and other good players. He has shown he will process players quickly and has done that both preseasons. That is not too surprising because he wants his own team and that it will.slow down. However he keeps a full roster and he will continue to move out the lesser part of the roster. Clearly Texas has no problem taking transfers to play over others on the roster which was the original incorrect comment. 7 transfers in 2 seasons confirms that. I agree that they have recruited very well and will be very good.
Bulldog
Dcheetah said:

Vic did not come in with a bare cupboard. They had the #1 WBNA pick and Celeste Taylor and other good players. He has shown he will process players quickly and has done that both preseasons. That is not too surprising because he wants his own team and that it will.slow down. However he keeps a full roster and he will continue to move out the lesser part of the roster. Clearly Texas has no problem taking transfers to play over others on the roster which was the original incorrect comment. 7 transfers in 2 seasons confirms that. I agree that they have recruited very well and will be very good.
Kim had already built her powerhouse and did in fact recruit over others. Jody Conrad's herself caught flack for saying early in the year that this was not the most talented Tx team. Vic is in a totally different scenario than
Kim. He is trying to BUILD a powerhouse. Now that he is assembling mega talent, I don't think you'll see him doing that much. It's kind of scary how quickly he has done this. I hope NC can start getting some recruits because we will need them.
itsjuzme
Well we're still the rulers of the Big XII until someone unseats us. We have a thin roster this year, but overthrowing us will still not be an easy task for anyone. But I have to agree with Bulldog, we better keep our eye on Austin. NC better win, and she better recruit, if we're going to continue to hold off teams like Texas, Iowa State, and West Virginia. We are in a critical time for our program.
Dcheetah
Here is the quote to which I replied: " I don't think the coach would take transfers and bump his young recruits like KM did the last few years"

Clearly his roster management shows he will do this as I have shown over the last 2 yrs. . You can justify his reason as building over maintenance but he has clearly recruited transfers over existing players no matter his reason. Doesn't make it wrong unless explicit promises were made which we are not privy to but have been suggested. You always recruit to improve your team either with new HS recruits or transfers. He has a lot of pressure to win and win now and he is recruiting like it.
Only time will tell if he will continue to recruit that way but you are only guessing he will not.
itsjuzme
Dcheetah said:

Here is the quote to which I replied: " I don't think the coach would take transfers and bump his young recruits like KM did the last few years"

Clearly his roster management shows he will do this as I have shown over the last 2 yrs. . You can justify his reason as building over maintenance but he has clearly recruited transfers over existing players no matter his reason. Doesn't make it wrong unless explicit promises were made which we are not privy to but have been suggested. You always recruit to improve your team either with new HS recruits or transfers. He has a lot of pressure to win and win now and he is recruiting like it.
Only time will tell if he will continue to recruit that way but you are only guessing he will not.

Not that I actually care how the Texas coach manages their roster, but you're still comparing apples to oranges. Now that Texas has all that young, highly regarded talent we'll see if he's willing to recruit in over the top of them the way KM did in her last four years at Baylor. So, I guess we'll see. Again, who really cares? We've got our own roster that we need to worry about, because at this point it's not looking so good after this season. As previously stated NC had better win with what she has now, and had better be able to recruit.
Dcheetah
Nor do I care about the inner workings of Tx Women's Bball. You moved the goal first saying Tx probably doesn't recruit over players and then when I showed so far he has, you moved your argument to well he does but only during his rebuild and probanly not after that. No one on this board knows what he will do. I understand your perspective but think it still matters to the players recruited over no matter the reason. I also think (and do not know) and will not be surprised if he continues to do it because he is under a lot of pressure to win ASAP. Despite having a nearly full roster nevt 2 years 2021-22) he continues to aggressively recruit all positions. Struck me as odd we have some posters speaking strongly into the virtues of Tx bball recruiting when they have no idea what will actually happen. I am a big fan of what CKM did for the University but am 100% behind CNC and her coaching-recruiting efforts and you can check my prior posts and see I am a believer that she will be an excellent coach and recruiter. Ii am done on this subjext. Pm me if you want.
itsjuzme
Dcheetah said:

Nor do I care about the inner workings of Tx Women's Bball. You moved the goal first saying Tx probably doesn't recruit over players and then when I showed so far he has, you moved your argument to well he does but only during his rebuild and probanly not after that. No one on this board knows what he will do. I understand your perspective but think it still matters to the players recruited over no matter the reason. I also think (and do not know) and will not be surprised if he continues to do it because he is under a lot of pressure to win ASAP. Despite having a nearly full roster nevt 2 years 2021-22) he continues to aggressively recruit all positions. Struck me as odd we have some posters speaking strongly into the virtues of Tx bball recruiting when they have no idea what will actually happen. I am a big fan of what CKM did for the University but am 100% behind CNC and her coaching-recruiting efforts and you can check my prior posts and see I am a believer that she will be an excellent coach and recruiter. Ii am done on this subjext. Pm me if you want.

I think we both agree that we give KM all the deserved credit, but it's now time to give NC the support she needs. She's got a good core of talented players to start her tenure off with. Unfortunately depth is a real concern, but I've seen it done more than once where a team has a great season with just 8 players or so. Heck, speaking of UT, they did it just last season. No reason to think NC shouldn't be able to do the same because we're much more talented than last year's UT team and their "faux superstar" who rarely showed up when it really mattered.
Sic Em!!!
Dcheetah
Sic Em!
blackie
itsjuzme said:

Well we're still the rulers of the Big XII until someone unseats us. We have a thin roster this year, but overthrowing us will still not be an easy task for anyone. But I have to agree with Bulldog, we better keep our eye on Austin. NC better win, and she better recruit, if we're going to continue to hold off teams like Texas, Iowa State, and West Virginia. We are in a critical time for our program.
Can't speak for the other teams listed, but UT will likely only get one shot at us...this season. Then they can concern themselves with SC, Tennessee, Arkansas.......and perhaps LSU.
KajunKarlsdad
Talked with Moon today, the nursing program at LSU is in New Orleans and things couldn't be worked out so she is now at Tulane and will play for them.
It was a strange way to run into her today. Her high school coach lives on my street and she was there. While I was helping my neighbor tarp a wall and roof that had hurricane damage, one of my labs panicked when he didn't see me. He ran from house to house looking for me and when he went to coach Butler's yard she knew who he was for. Moon noticed the Baylor collar and put him in the car and brought him to me. Can we give her one last Baylor assist?
BUbearinARK
KajunKarlsdad said:

Talked with Moon today, the nursing program at LSU is in New Orleans and things couldn't be worked out so she is now at Tulane and will play for them.
It was a strange way to run into her today. Her high school coach lives on my street and she was there. While I was helping my neighbor tarp a wall and roof that had hurricane damage, one of my labs panicked when he didn't see me. He ran from house to house looking for me and when he went to coach Butler's yard she knew who he was for. Moon noticed the Baylor collar and put him in the car and brought him to me. Can we give her one last Baylor assist?
Name it. I'm in.
slimecap
KajunKarlsdad said:

KajunKarlsdad I posted a link on the Premium Board to this WBB Forum post
so you could reveal the news about Moon's destination school.
Thank you so much for your post.

So excited for Moon !!
How can we assist?
Lynnp550
Moon can get as many Baylor assists as she needs for as long as she wants!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.