Brittney Griner Detained In Russia

17,810 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osodecentx
JXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would think the "guilty" plea is the prelude to a swap. There is also a U.S. Marine named Paul Whelan being held in Russia, so I'm thinking maybe a two-for-one swap, Griner and Whelan for the arms dealer, Viktor Bout.

Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Reportedly, pleaded guilty and faces 10 years in prison.
Yep, just saw this on my News feed.

Hopefully she knows something we don't and she we be allowed to be free with time served, or maybe as lesser sentence and she will almost be done with her time.
Suspect a deal has already been made.

Guilty plea....time served ...quietly a Russian master spy gets released......woke crowd happy....Dems please their base.

Ultimate winner....Putin.... of course.
GrowlTowel
JXL said:

I would think the "guilty" plea is the prelude to a swap. There is also a U.S. Marine named Paul Whelan being held in Russia, so I'm thinking maybe a two-for-one swap, Griner and Whelan for the arms dealer, Viktor Bout.

Trade dead line is approaching. Could use another middle relief pitcher as well.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Wrecks Quan Dough
GrowlTowel said:

JXL said:

Trade dead line is approaching. Could use another middle relief pitcher as well.
Dennis Eckersley for a closer.
GrowlTowel
He Hate Me said:

GrowlTowel said:

JXL said:

Hall of Famer, but still gave up a meatball to a crippled Gibson.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Wrecks Quan Dough
GrowlTowel said:

He Hate Me said:

GrowlTowel said:

JXL said:

Hall of Famer, but still gave up a meatball to a crippled Gibson.
One of the greatest moments in MLB history and I was pulling for the As.
Golem
Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

I think they are resuming her "show trial" today.

Seriously the Administration needs to intervene on her behalf.

She may have done something stupid, IDK, it sure doesn't deserve 10 years in prison.

I hope she regains her freedom soon.
Are you willing to release a convicted Russian spy in order to secure her release ?

That's what its going to take.

This is Putin's version of kidnapping and blackmail.
Well,
1. She's young and stupid
2. She went to Baylor and that means something to me (Natty)
3. She used horrible judgement
4. I hope the consequences won't be forever
Biden will soon trade a convicted, top level Russian spy for your former BU basketball player.

Really think Biden would make a similar arrangement for your release ? For mine ?
Nowhere did I recommend that trade.
Didn't say you did .

So would Biden 'rescue' either you or I ?
Probably not. Griner probably wouldn't bother advocating my case, either. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate for her release. Their likeliness to do the right thing holds little bearing on my decision to do the right thing.
This is pretty much my position. Just can't have Americans being held like this for what I consider a minor offense. Cannibis Oil in a Vape cartridge or something like it.
With respect I disagree .

Can't release known spies or terrorists every single time one of our citizens is 'legally' kidnapped . Otherwise it would be pointless to put convicted spies and terrorists in prison.

All anyone would have to do is arrest any of the hundreds of thousands of US citizens overseas.......and bang......their spies are freed.
To be clear. I am not advocating Russia's desired trade.

Even if the USA gave over the arms dealer, we would do well to let Russia keep BG. The US doesn't need anymore woke celebrities. She did the crime. Let her do the time.
I have no idea if she did any crime .

She hasn't denied breaking their laws. She committed the crime. Either way, the US is better off without antiAmerican lesbian activists using their manufactured notoriety to corrupt kids.
Disagree

Innocent until proven guilty .

Otherwise we are no better than Putin .

How did she just plead? Guilty?
Cobretti
Canada2017
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

She may have done something stupid, IDK, it sure doesn't deserve 10 years in prison.

Are you willing to release a convicted Russian spy in order to secure her release ?

Well,
Biden will soon trade a convicted, top level Russian spy for your former BU basketball player.

Really think Biden would make a similar arrangement for your release ? For mine ?
Didn't say you did .

Probably not. Griner probably wouldn't bother advocating my case, either. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate for her release. Their likeliness to do the right thing holds little bearing on my decision to do the right thing.
This is pretty much my position. Just can't have Americans being held like this for what I consider a minor offense. Cannibis Oil in a Vape cartridge or something like it.

Can't release known spies or terrorists every single time one of our citizens is 'legally' kidnapped . Otherwise it would be pointless to put convicted spies and terrorists in prison.

All anyone would have to do is arrest any of the hundreds of thousands of US citizens overseas.......and bang......their spies are freed.

Even if the USA gave over the arms dealer, we would do well to let Russia keep BG. The US doesn't need anymore woke celebrities. She did the crime. Let her do the time.

She hasn't denied breaking their laws. She committed the crime. Either way, the US is better off without antiAmerican lesbian activists using their manufactured notoriety to corrupt kids.
Disagree

Under the circumstances I probably would too.

When she gets back to the US....as she certainly will be prior to the November mid terms ......maybe we will get the whole story .
Forest Bueller
I'm all for getting her out but it would be a show of incredible American weakness and lack of resolve to trade her for the Arms dealer planning a multi million dollar sale intended to kill Americans.
Golem
Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

When she gets back to the US....as she certainly will be prior to the November mid terms ......maybe we will get the whole story .

You think Putin set up a female basketball player for war leverage….or….

An entitled lesbian anti American athlete thought she could get away with breaking drug laws?

Which is more likely?
Canada2017
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

An entitled lesbian anti American athlete thought she could get away with breaking drug laws?

Which is more likely?
Suspect the Russians knew all about her habits long ago........a card to be played whenever Putin figured he could generate the biggest possible benefit .

Both comments are correct.

Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?
Suspect the Russians knew all about her habits long ago........a card to be played whenever Putin figured he could generate the biggest possible benefit .

I agree with Canada. The amount of hash was miniscule, even for Russia. The most likely explanation was that some Russian official decided to make an example of a prominent American, and with her attitude and lifestyle Ms. Griner was an obvious target.

She was foolish enough to forget that Russia is not the US, and I think Russian officials were looking to collect bargaining chips in advance of invading Ukraine.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Golem
Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

Really? "Follow the lesbian ball tosser, Dimitri. She will be our Trump card one day. Mwahahaha!!!"
Wrecks Quan Dough
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

Really? "Follow the lesbian ball tosser, Dimitri. She will be our Trump card one day. Mwahahaha!!!"

Tasha, I find Moose and Squirrel next.
Harrison Bergeron
He Hate Me said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

I wonder if she's still kneeling in protest of the < 10 unarmed black people killed annually by police and oppressed because #slavery.
LIB,MR BEARS
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?
How about both.

Perhaps star players, on teams owned by Putin friendly oligarchs, have always been given a free pass so long as their crimes were only against themselves. Then, when it came time to find a pawns, Putin's staff says to his intelligence staff "find me an American that we can charge and use for some upcoming negotiations." His oligarch buddy just knows that this is a price he has to pay for all of the special treatment he has received over the years.

I'm sure US intelligence has info on foreign nationals that , if ever needed, they could use to collect pawns.
LIB,MR BEARS
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

not a trump card but just another pawn. You're playing the wrong game.
Golem
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

Any other Americans in jail over there? Or is she the only one?
quash
Golem said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

Any other Americans in jail over there? Or is she the only one?

Do you know of any with a higher intersectionality score?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Harrison Bergeron
We should not trade a dangerous criminal for her. This is not a situation of her being unjustly held. She violated another country's law. She is a sophisticated person who had frequented the country and not a stupid tourist. She was not arrested for performing some morally courageous act.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, I feel awful for her. Yes, I think she should take personal responsibility. Yes, we should not expect "white privilege" and respect the laws of second-world countries and not think because we're Americans we get a pass. Ironically, she is always talking about "equity" and "privilege" then she should expect "equity" treatment like any other Jane that was caught with drugs ... just because she's an intersectional, extremely minor sports figure should not entitle here to privileged treatment.
Forest Bueller_bf
Harrison Bergeron said:

He Hate Me said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

I wonder if she's still kneeling in protest of the < 10 unarmed black people killed annually by police and oppressed because #slavery.
I actually heard a liberal address this the other day on their podcast when they were talking about this and mass shootings the other day. They mentioned that the mind cannot grasp the amount of people 335 million represents and with the number of people breaking the law and the way they often respond to police, belligerant, aggressive, uncooperative, violently, etc. they were surprised that more people aren't killed.

Many people bring up other countries when mentioning the lack of police killings on average, they mentioned our numbers have a lot to do with the way so many react to being stopped by police.

Can't remember who it was, it wasn't Bill Mauer, but had the same pragmatic, but deeply liberal bent.
Harrison Bergeron
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

He Hate Me said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Disagree

Which is more likely?

I actually heard a liberal address this the other day on their podcast when they were talking about this and mass shootings the other day. They mentioned that the mind cannot grasp the amount of people 335 million represents and with the number of people breaking the law and the way they often respond to police, belligerant, aggressive, uncooperative, violently, etc. they were surprised that more people aren't killed.

Many people bring up other countries when mentioning the lack of police killings on average, they mentioned our numbers have a lot to do with the way so many react to being stopped by police.

Can't remember who it was, it wasn't Bill Mauer, but had the same pragmatic, but deeply liberal bent.
I think a lot of it goes back to the drug trade. I was watching Narcos last night, and it was prescient as historical fiction. The narrator talked about in the last 70s going from chasing a couple of 20-something white dudes in flip flops with a kilo of grass to facing heavily armed gangs of Columbians and other street gangs. Cops went from facing "average" criminals that may have a pistol but generally non-violent to heavily armed criminals that grew up in the environment of the violent drug trade and see cops as just another gang rival.

I don't fully give cops a pass. I think they too often neglect community policing, building relationships and trust, and defer to SWAT team / militarized / cowboy show of force.

In a world of disinformation by corporate media, nothing is as perverse as police shootings particular of "unarmed" black men, and the ignorance of many bears this out. Outside of the Russia hoax, the Michael Brown and similar cases may be the biggest disinformation campaigns launched by the corporate media and their special interest allies.
Canada2017
Harrison Bergeron said:

We should not trade a dangerous criminal for her. This is not a situation of her being unjustly held. She violated another country's law. She is a sophisticated person who had frequented the country and not a stupid tourist. She was not arrested for performing some morally courageous act. .

All true .

Doesn't matter .

Biden dare not antagonize his most loyal segment of a dramatically shrinking base.

Putin is going to get whomever he wants in trade . And as the pressure on Biden increases over time………

the price is only going to go up .
BearFan33
Did Joe get her out yet?

If this was Trump, CNN would be having daily panel discussions and a little graphic in the corner with a Brittney picture. Of course none of that would be needed since Trump would have her out by now.

I feel sorry for BG who got arrested when an incompetent and apathetic administration is running the show.
Harrison Bergeron
BearFan33 said:

Did Joe get her out yet?

If this was Trump, CNN would be having daily panel discussions and a little graphic in the corner with a Brittney picture. Of course none of that would be needed since Trump would have her out by now.

I feel sorry for BG who got arrested when an incompetent and apathetic administration is running the show.
Agreed. There's would be daily outrage, homophobic and racist and sexist accusations and a countdown kairon.
Cobretti
LIB,MR BEARS
Cobretti said:

Ya, I always turn to James to get my best analysis.
Forest Bueller_bf
Cobretti said:

I pretty much always disagree with Lebron when he goes overboard on a topic as he has here, but I think the article summed up why he said it..........It's clear -- at least from the short trailer that was released -- that LeBron doesn't believe the U.S. is doing nearly enough to bring BG home.

I will agree with the bolded part.

It also has to sting a bit knowing he has a part in getting the current buffoon elected president, and that if he hadn't been successful, I'm pretty sure Trump would have had her released by now. He or the left wouldn't admit that part I'm sure, but it would have been done by now.

Harrison Bergeron
LeBrons right - in Russia cops don't hunt bleks and murder thousands daily or enslave the via the NFL.
Married A Horn
Oh please let this happen.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

Ok, LeBron, I am happy for ya, and I am gonna let you finish.

But, Colin Kaepernick had one of the greatest make-an-a'ss-of-himself meltdowns of all time! Of all time!
BearFan33
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34246519/wnba-star-brittney-griner-back-russian-court-trial-resumes

Trial continues. Free Brittney!
Johnny Bear
Forest Bueller said:

I'm all for getting her out but it would be a show of incredible American weakness and lack of resolve to trade her for the Arms dealer planning a multi million dollar sale intended to kill Americans.

Yes, it would, but what do the Obummer loving holdover puppet masters that control dementia Joe care? Don't forget this is the same bunch that previously released multiple dangerous Islamic terrorists to go kill more Americans and other innocents in exchange for one cowardly military deserter.
Cobretti

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.