Brittney Griner Detained In Russia

18,079 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osodecentx
Porteroso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

Porteroso said:

He Hate Me said:

Porteroso said:

Married A Horn said:

God says its unnatural in Romans 1. I'll go with what he says over you.

/thread

The Greek for homosexuality in the NT also refers to homosexual assault.

It is a harmful, offensive, or provocative touching. That makes it assault every single time.

I don't agree. My personal opinion is that God isn't dumb, he doesn't hand out rules for the fun of it. That's what the OT Pharisees were doing, and the NT Southern Baptists.

Much like the Catholic literal interpretation of sow your seed, have as many babies as you can, the OT laws against homosexuality were more of less vital to ensuring the survival of humanity at first, the survival of the chosen people afterwards, and the survival of a fledgling Christian church last.

Take any rule from the OT that modern Christianity doesn't follow, and it's the same argument. God is not static. We get to eat bacon now because we know about washing our hands after we slaughter the pig, before we go pork the wife or husband.

And while there were very good reasons to make many children before, the survival of God's people no longer depends on it. If you still think homosexuality is a sin, I think you need to avoid condoms, birth control, have church on Saturday, follow all the rituals associated with Sabbath, not celebrate Christmas or Easter, and on and on. The New Testament much less specifically targets consensual homosexuality as sin. And given Paul's preaching against the sins of the Romans, given how common male sex slaves were, or the elites raping whoever they wanted, the case can be made that the NT never actually targets homosexuality.

In any case, I know some seriously gay people. I mean they are really gay. I don't think the devil made them that way, I just think even 500 years ago they'd be the same way, just as gay, but of course burned at the stake by married a horns kids.

Matt. 19 ... how do you explain away?

This is the problem of literal interpretation. It says men can divorce wonen, but not the other way around, if you are taking the words literally. You could literally interpret Jesus' words to mean men have many more rights than women.

It's not hard though, to view Jesus' surroundings, and who he was talking to. To understand that while his basic message was the same to everyone, he didn't say it the same way.

I'm not really going to engage about homosexuality here, because it's clear to me that he's talking about relationships, not men having dominance over women in heterosexual marriage.
Forest Bueller_bf
I think they are resuming her "show trial" today.

Seriously the Administration needs to intervene on her behalf.

She may have done something stupid, IDK, it sure doesn't deserve 10 years in prison.

I hope she regains her freedom soon.
nein51
Forest Bueller_bf said:

She may have done something stupid, IDK, it sure doesn't deserve 10 years in prison.

This is entirely about the Russians wanting a prisoner swap. Incredibly problematic because the names I have seen floated are damned sure not people we should be swapping for a WNBA player (even one of our own).

I.e. they have a late 7th rounder and they want us to give up two 1st and eat the contract on a couple 4th rounders.
Forest Bueller_bf
nein51 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

This is entirely about the Russians wanting a prisoner swap. Incredibly problematic because the names I have seen floated are damned sure not people we should be swapping for a WNBA player (even one of our own).

I.e. they have a late 7th rounder and they want us to give up two 1st and eat the contract on a couple 4th rounders.
I saw that earlier, that's partially why I'm calling this a show trial. 1) It is a show trial. 2) Russia has proven this by coming up with some rediculous swap. Kinda like the Hershel Walker Dallas Cowboys trade.
nein51
Forest Bueller_bf said:

nein51 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

I saw that earlier, that's partially why I'm calling this a show trial. 1) It is a show trial. 2) Russia has proven this by coming up with some rediculous swap. Kinda like the Hershel Walker Dallas Cowboys trade.
I really want to see her come home. I also really dont want to trade her for some very dangerous people.
Whiskey Pete
I wouldn't be surprised if dementia joe traded a high value prisoner for her. After all, he was part of the administration that traded 5 taliban prisoners for one Army deserter, bowe bergdahl
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Are you willing to release a convicted Russian spy in order to secure her release ?

That's what its going to take.

This is Putin's version of kidnapping and blackmail.
BearFan33
She sent a letter to Biden pleading for help.

She would be better off sending it to Trump. Biden/Obama track record on political prisoners is terrible. I suppose Biden may craft a horrible deal like the Taliban 5 and get her out. But I'm not holding my breath.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Are you willing to release a convicted Russian spy in order to secure her release ?

It is and it stinks.

The answer is no, not for a top Russian spy, but for this offense time served should be sufficient.

Russia is using her as a pawn.

Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,
1. She's young and stupid
2. She went to Baylor and that means something to me (Natty)
3. She used horrible judgement
4. I hope the consequences won't be forever
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,
Biden will soon trade a convicted, top level Russian spy for your former BU basketball player.

Really think Biden would make a similar arrangement for your release ? For mine ?

Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,
Biden will soon trade a convicted, top level Russian spy for your former BU basketball player.

Really think Biden would make a similar arrangement for your release ? For mine ?
Nowhere did I recommend that trade.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

So would Biden 'rescue' either you or I ?
Wangchung
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Probably not. Griner probably wouldn't bother advocating my case, either. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate for her release. Their likeliness to do the right thing holds little bearing on my decision to do the right thing.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Forest Bueller_bf
Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Probably not. Griner probably wouldn't bother advocating my case, either. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate for her release. Their likeliness to do the right thing holds little bearing on my decision to do the right thing.
This is pretty much my position. Just can't have Americans being held like this for what I consider a minor offense. Cannibis Oil in a Vape cartridge or something like it.
Harrison Bergeron
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

This is pretty much my position. Just can't have Americans being held like this for what I consider a minor offense. Cannibis Oil in a Vape cartridge or something like it.
Where does one draw the line between Americans respecting the laws of other countries and using American "privilege" to be above the law? We can all agree that many countries have laws and penalties with which we disagree, but is it our place to judge them and demand they adhere to our particular POV?

This is similar to the famous Singapore caning case from decades ago where the kid chewed gum and got three lashes. Yes, seems extreme to us, but who are we to judge other countries' laws, or if one visits another country is one expected to adhere to them or be an "ugly American?"

Here arrest does not seem unjust. She is sophisticated and should be aware of the laws, i.e. not a stupid tourist.
Wangchung
Harrison Bergeron said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Where does one draw the line between Americans respecting the laws of other countries and using American "privilege" to be above the law? We can all agree that many countries have laws and penalties with which we disagree, but is it our place to judge them and demand they adhere to our particular POV?

This is similar to the famous Singapore caning case from decades ago where the kid chewed gum and got three lashes. Yes, seems extreme to us, but who are we to judge other countries' laws, or if one visits another country is one expected to adhere to them or be an "ugly American?"

Here arrest does not seem unjust. She is sophisticated and should be aware of the laws, i.e. not a stupid tourist.
I can definitely see your point, but in this case we have a country with more than enough motivation to plant drugs, coerce a false confession or worse. Enough motivation, at least for me, to doubt their claims here entirely. The reasons you listed, which are plainly obvious hazards to any traveler let alone a professional athlete that competes in Russia, are also why I doubt their claims.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

With respect I disagree .

Can't release known spies or terrorists every single time one of our citizens is 'legally' kidnapped . Otherwise it would be pointless to put convicted spies and terrorists in prison.

All anyone would have to do is arrest any of the hundreds of thousands of US citizens overseas.......and bang......their spies are freed.
Wangchung
Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Can't release known spies or terrorists every single time one of our citizens is 'legally' kidnapped . Otherwise it would be pointless to put convicted spies and terrorists in prison.

All anyone would have to do is arrest any of the hundreds of thousands of US citizens overseas.......and bang......their spies are freed.
To be clear. I am not advocating Russia's desired trade.
Harrison Bergeron
Wangchung said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

I can definitely see your point, but in this case we have a country with more than enough motivation to plant drugs, coerce a false confession or worse. Enough motivation, at least for me, to doubt their claims here entirely. The reasons you listed, which are plainly obvious hazards to any traveler let alone a professional athlete that competes in Russia, are also why I doubt their claims.
Reasonable. Can't disagree with you that Russian is a good actor. The timing seems suspicious, and given her (9?) years in Russia playing seems odd this would be the only time she's carried hash ... but for most people the first time getting caught is just that ... not the first time committing the crime.
Golem
Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Even if the USA gave over the arms dealer, we would do well to let Russia keep BG. The US doesn't need anymore woke celebrities. She did the crime. Let her do the time.
Canada2017
Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Even if the USA gave over the arms dealer, we would do well to let Russia keep BG. The US doesn't need anymore woke celebrities. She did the crime. Let her do the time.
I have no idea if she did any crime .
Golem
Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

She hasn't denied breaking their laws. She committed the crime. Either way, the US is better off without antiAmerican lesbian activists using their manufactured notoriety to corrupt kids.
Canada2017
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

She hasn't denied breaking their laws. She committed the crime. Either way, the US is better off without antiAmerican lesbian activists using their manufactured notoriety to corrupt kids.
Disagree

Innocent until proven guilty .

Otherwise we are no better than Putin .
Guy Noir
I agree and I would not like to be caught in a legal mess in Russia.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

I was meaning I would advocate for her release, if I implied for a Russian spy being released I would not go that far. My mistake if I sounded like it.
Oldbear83
Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Seriously, Golem?

Look, I do think she was guilty of bringing a trace amount of hash on her vape. But at most that's a fine, especially since she has doubtless being doing this with no problem for a long time.

This incident was clearly contrived by the Russian government, and that alone is reason to call it out.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Golem
Oldbear83 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Seriously, Golem?

Look, I do think she was guilty of bringing a trace amount of hash on her vape. But at most that's a fine, especially since she has doubtless being doing this with no problem for a long time.

This incident was clearly contrived by the Russian government, and that alone is reason to call it out.

I don't particularly care. She broke their law. Anyone who travels internationally knows to check the laws. Regardless, I'd sooner see an arms dealer free than someone with a platform to further destroy our culture and nation. The US is better off with her elsewhere. May Rapinoe follow her soon.
Oldbear83
Golem said:

Oldbear83 said:

Golem said:

Canada2017 said:

Golem said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

Seriously, Golem?

I don't particularly care. She broke their law. Anyone who travels internationally knows to check the laws. Regardless, I'd sooner see an arms dealer free than someone with a platform to further destroy our culture and nation. The US is better off with her elsewhere. May Rapinoe follow her soon.
The odds of Ms. Rapinoe traveling anywhere they even speak Russian is lower than Joe Biden's chances of getting Mr. Griner out through diplomacy or force of his personality.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Well,

Didn't say you did .

I was meaning I would advocate for her release, if I implied for a Russian spy being released I would not go that far. My mistake if I sounded like it.
My friend, I make far more mistakes than you .

Whiskey Pete
If she gets convicted for years, then that's on her. She shouldn't have thought that Russia's laws doesn't apply to her when she's in their country
Canada2017
Rawhide said:

If she gets convicted for years, then that's on her. She shouldn't have thought that Russia's laws doesn't apply to her when she's in their country

She is being used as a pawn in a political game between Putin and Biden .

Putin knows Biden will soon have to pay any price in securing her release to placate the woke crowd .
Harrison Bergeron
Reportedly, pleaded guilty and faces 10 years in prison.
ABC BEAR
Canada2017 said:

Rawhide said:

She is being used as a pawn in a political game between Putin and Biden .

Putin knows Biden will soon have to pay any price in securing her release to placate the woke crowd .
Joe is a lot better at arresting and incarcerating political prisoners than he is at releasing them.
Forest Bueller_bf
Harrison Bergeron said:

Reportedly, pleaded guilty and faces 10 years in prison.
Yep, just saw this on my News feed.

Hopefully she knows something we don't and she we be allowed to be free with time served, or maybe as lesser sentence and she will almost be done with her time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.