Dobbs v. Jackson

31,757 Views | 638 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Cobretti
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. The Court overrules those decisions and returns that authority to the people and their elected representatives."
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

"The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. The Court overrules those decisions and returns that authority to the people and their elected representatives."

Good decision
Coke Bear
Thanks be to God!!!

Now the battle begins.
Osodecentx
Coke Bear said:

Thanks be to God!!!

Now the battle begins.
The battle begins where it belongs - in the states
Mothra
And of course the Chief Justice sides with the liberals on the Court. What an incredible disappointment he has been.

And lo and behold, two of the Justices that helped get Roe overturned were appointed by the orange devil, once again, validating a vote for him.
Osodecentx
Thanks to Mitch McConnell
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

None of this would have happened if Bernie Sanders didn't run in 2016.

This was made possible by Trump appointments too and the arrogance of RBG.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

There's a lot of thanks to go around, including the orange devil, who nominated solid conservatives, unlike his Republican predecessors.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

There's a lot of thanks to go around, including the orange devil, who nominated solid conservatives, unlike his Republican predecessors.
Trump's picks were superb.
william
Mothra said:

And of course the Chief Justice sides with the liberals on the Court. What an incredible disappointment he has been.

And lo and behold, two of the Justices that helped get Roe overturned were appointed by the orange devil, once again, validating a vote for him.
6-3, no?

PA.

- UL

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating toast }

Dale?
chriscbear
Funny how God used Orange Devil to work his perfect will. Praise God and God bless Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell. Amen
Mothra
5-4, according to Drudge.
william
Mothra said:

>>
The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade decision in a much-anticipated ruling Friday in one of its biggest decisions this term.

The court voted 6-3, along party lines, in the case of Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, which involved Mississippi's ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

It appeared that the panel's conservative majority of justices was ready to overturn nearly 50 years of established abortion rights after last month's leaked draft decision indicated as much.
<<
Dale?
Osodecentx
Roberts criticizes fellow conservatives for overturning Roe

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. criticized his fellow conservatives for overruling Roe and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, saying it was not necessary to overturn that precedent in order to uphold Mississippi's law forbidding most abortions after 15 weeks.
"Surely we should adhere closely to principles of judicial restraint here, where the broader path the Court chooses entails repudiating a constitutional right we have not only previously recognized, but also expressly reaffirmed applying the doctrine of stare decisis," he wrote. "The Court's opinion is thoughtful and thorough, but those virtues cannot compensate for the fact that its dramatic and consequential ruling is unnecessary to decide the case before us."
william
>>
WASHINGTON, DC The Supreme Court overruled Roe v. Wade on Friday, holding in the Dobbs case that the Constitution does not include a right to abortion and returning the issue of abortion laws and regulations to state legislatures.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the Supreme Court in Friday's 5-4 decision:<<

?????

- KKM

Dale?
Cobretti
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

SCOTUS bold says 6-3

Holding: The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey are overruled; the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Alito on June 24, 2022. Justices Thomas and Kavanaugh filed concurring opinions. Chief Justice Roberts filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. Justices Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan filed a dissenting opinion.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/dobbs-v-jackson-womens-health-organization/
JL
"The nature of the Court's error. Like the infamous decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, Roe was also egregiously wrong and on a collision course with the Constitution from the day it was decided."

Alito out here dunkin on em.
BearFan33
I'm glad the leaking and violent threats didn't get them to change course.

Sounds like they stayed with the draft opinion for the most part.
303Bear
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

SCOTUS bold says 6-3

Holding: The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey are overruled; the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives.
Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 6-3, in an opinion by Justice Alito on June 24, 2022. Justices Thomas and Kavanaugh filed concurring opinions. Chief Justice Roberts filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. Justices Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan filed a dissenting opinion.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/dobbs-v-jackson-womens-health-organization/

Overall it was 6-3 in favor of upholding the MS law, but 5-4 on the overturning Roe, with Justice Roberts not joining that portion of the majority.
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. criticized his fellow conservatives for overruling Roe and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, saying it was not necessary to overturn that precedent in order to uphold Mississippi's law forbidding most abortions after 15 weeks.
"Surely we should adhere closely to principles of judicial restraint here, where the broader path the Court chooses entails repudiating a constitutional right we have not only previously recognized, but also expressly reaffirmed applying the doctrine of stare decisis," he wrote. "The Court's opinion is thoughtful and thorough, but those virtues cannot compensate for the fact that its dramatic and consequential ruling is unnecessary to decide the case before us."
Booray
Sam Lowry said:

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions?

Or is the whole "let the states decide it" theory going to get thrown out next?
Mothra
303Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

SCOTUS bold says 6-3

Overall it was 6-3 in favor of upholding the MS law, but 5-4 on the overturning Roe, with Justice Roberts not joining that portion of the majority.
This.
Coke Bear
Booray said:

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions? Loaded question. I would like the world to respect the dignity of life and have the desire the ban abortion.

The Constitution is not empowering them to allow abortions. To me the decision simply states that Federal gov't isn't going to take the right away from the states to make that decision.

No. The states get to decide. Now circle back to the bolded statement in my post.
Cobretti
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

The Supreme law of the land it the U.S. Constitution.

It says nothing about abortion one way or the other.

Roberts is wrong....Roe was always wrongly decided and terrible law.

It took a solemn right of the States from them.

Abortion is purely a State matter until such time as a Constitutional amendment is passed that deals with the issue (for or against).
Booray
Coke Bear said:

Booray said:

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions? Loaded question. I would like the world to respect the dignity of life and have the desire the ban abortion.

The Constitution is not empowering them to allow abortions. To me the decision simply states that Federal gov't isn't going to take the right away from the states to make that decision.

No. The states get to decide. Now circle back to the bolded statement in my post.

To put it more precisely, you agree that under Dobbs, the federal government has no authority to regulate abortion?
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions?

I've seriously struggled with that question for a while, and not just this morning. Would like to discuss it when I have more time.
J.B.Katz
The only way to completely avoid ceding medical decisions to your home state the instant an egg is fertilized is to avoid preganancy altogether.

The danger of prosecution if a woman has a miscarriage or medical treatment that values the pregnancy over her life & future health is too great.

Booray
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Abortion is purely a State matter until such time as a Constitutional amendment is passed that deals with the issue (for or against).

You do not understand Roberts' argument.
Booray
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

I've seriously struggled with that question for a while, and not just this morning. Would like to discuss it when I have more time.

It was just an interesting hypothetical until this morning.
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

It was just an interesting hypothetical until this morning.
Indeed, but what I have to say when I put my thoughts together will be the same as I would have said yesterday.
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Roberts voted with the 6-3 majority
whitetrash
Cobretti said:

And that, my friends, is a conspiracy to incite an insurrection.
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Roberts voted with the 6-3 majority
Wrong in that Roberts did not think the Court should have overturned the precedent that was Roe.

It had to be overturned...there was no other way.

It was always at odds with the Constitution.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.