Dobbs v. Jackson

32,655 Views | 638 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cobretti
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.B.Katz said:

For years, "reasonable" pro-lifers have fed us this "jump and we'll build the parachute on the way down" promise that conservatives will start taking care of families the moment abortion is over b/c they've had to expend all their energy they'd have otherwise devoted to child welfare on opposing abortion.

All this despite the fact that we - me, you, everybody - all know that conservatives could have, for years, fruitfully worked with Dems on such legislation if they wanted it and that, as far as the eye can see, no GOP legislator anywhere seems to have any such thing on their agenda.

I propose the following:

In one year's time, Republicans should issue a news release detailing all the ways in which the conservative movement has built the social safety net infrastructure they have promised to support all the babies, including rape babies, they are forcing women to carry to term. If they can show substantial development in that area - and it is possible, if the GOP really wants to do this, then Dems would certainly line up - then I will apologize on this forum and vote a straight ticket Republican for the next 10 years.

But if they can't show that the GOP has suddenly become the defenders of vulnerable and disproportionately minority mothers in need of help, then they should publicly apologize and retire from politics for pushing a vision they know Republican politicians will never put forward and Republican voters will never support

Anybody want to bet on the GOP becoming the party of the women who have always been sent to the barn to give birth alone and use a manger because the system had no room at the inn? (The 3 wise men bearing gifts, especially the one with gold, was certainly not a Republican.)

it never ceases to amaze me when I hear the pro-choice movement justify abortion as an appropriate response to what they perceive to be a lack of compassion by conservatives toward the poor.
Cobretti
FLBear5630
Cobretti said:

They want to kill their babies that bad?? Whatever happened to maternal instincts?
Canada2017
RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

They want to kill their babies that bad?? Whatever happened to maternal instincts?
What's incredible to me is how there are there is such a large demand for babies to adopt.......yet so many would rather kill the baby than give it up for adoption .

They simply can't be bothered.

As our young people become increasingly cynical, selfish and bitter...its only a matter of time before they add a new target to their culture of death .
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

What's incredible to me is how there are there is such a large demand for babies to adopt.......yet so many would rather kill the baby than give it up for adoption .

They simply can't be bothered.

As our young people become increasingly cynical, selfish and bitter...its only a matter of time before they add a new target to their culture of death .
Yeah, I don't get it. They are living in a time where anything is possible and they can pretty much do what they want. There are so many new career fields opening with the tech break throughs. Yet, they are cynical and bitter. It really amazes me. To be 21 again? Pick a field.
Jack Bauer
RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

I can't raise a baby, but I'll rappel off a crane with a 100 foot sign to protect my right to kill it!
Cobretti
Harrison Bergeron
Daily I try to understand if progressives are actually this stupid or intentionally disinform the idiots that follow them.
303Bear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Daily I try to understand if progressives are actually this stupid or intentionally disinform the idiots that follow them.
It is intentional. Too consistent.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Cobretti said:

Supreme Court: We think the abortion question should be resolved by the People and their elected representatives.

Cortez: The Supreme Court is overreaching by trying to get out of the business of deciding contentious social and moral issues.

What a Rhodes Scholar!
Redbrickbear
He Hate Me said:

Cobretti said:

Supreme Court: We think the abortion question should be resolved by the People and their elected representatives.

Cortez: The Supreme Court is overreaching by trying to get out of the business of deciding contentious social and moral issues.

What a Rhodes Scholar!
"pregnant person"

"people who could become pregnant"

Its amazing to watch the Left straight up abolished the concept of WOMAN.
Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear said:

He Hate Me said:

Cobretti said:

What a Rhodes Scholar!
"pregnant person"

Don't forget "LATINX" and "LATINE".
Forest Bueller_bf
Cobretti said:

Is there no law about loitering in streets.

This is basically a parade, don't you need a permit for such and isn't it supposed to be in specific areas.

This is stupid.
Redbrickbear
Golem
Redbrickbear said:

This is a real line from the story [discordant high pitched violin screeching plays in background]:

No one was in scrubs, no one's hair was tied up, and every staffer was wearing a visible cross. "I should have noticed all the red flags," says Ashley
FormerFlash
Golem said:

Redbrickbear said:

This is a real line from the story [discordant high pitched violin screeching plays in background]:

No one was in scrubs, no one's hair was tied up, and every staffer was wearing a visible cross. "I should have noticed all the red flags," says Ashley
Didn't the liberals shriek several years ago when Texas passed a bill saying abortion clinics had to be held to the same standards of hygiene and cleanliness as hospitals?
whitetrash
Cobretti said:

Is she suggesting the Supreme Court should be punished?

Jack Bauer
whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

The Legislative branch can:
1) Vote against judges from being nominated
2) Can impeach judges
3) Can pass a constitutional amendment to override the court's decision.

This is stuff we learned in middle school, why does she act like Congress is powerless?

Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

He Hate Me said:

Cobretti said:

What a Rhodes Scholar!
"pregnant person"

I was arguing with a Karen who was promoting all the talking points and hysterics including "no man should be allowed to have an opinion on abortion." I asked her "what is a man?" She would not answer and shut down the conversation.
4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

2) Can impeach judges

This is stuff we learned in middle school, why does she act like Congress is powerless?

Because her Sheeple are too stupid to know what you just said, political theater
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
Left:
"A school employee cannot pray silently on campus"

Also:

Redbrickbear
Canada2017
Redbrickbear said:

Founding Fathers were so right .
Porteroso
303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Yes, the ole "let's just tell 18 year Olds about abstinence, that'll do the trick!"

The personal responsibility argument is such an insane theory, it falls apart after about 30 seconds of thinking how much personal responsibility humanity has ever had.
So then why do we have laws and punish people for breaking them? If you are 18 and kill someone you are held responsible. What makes a decision to engage in an activity that could lead to a child different?

Yes, sex and murder should be treated equally under the law, you're really onto something.

Comparing the 2 really highlights how insane it is.
Abortion makes the murder legal for convenience. They are radically different. Being snide and obtuse is an odd choice unless you actually believe that having a child is some kind of punishment sentence, in which case I am sorry you have such a twisted view of humanity.

You can "insert any law here" and it is the same. Actions have consequences. To suggest certain (well known) consequences should excused at the cost of a life for the convenience of the person who took the action is the height of human hubris.

Being pregnant when you don't want to be can indeed be a sentence of punishment. We have posters calling pregnant women whoores. Especially in the South, it is a stain upon your social appearance and status. Being pregnant outside marriage drastically limits social options, and fundamentalist parents still give their kids hell for it.

If you are going to want abortion to be a crime, you need to also hold the position that any man getting a woman pregnant with no plan to raise that child should be punished too, if the woman chooses abortion. I could respect that, because it's at least consistent, and treats both sexes the same.

But telling women to close their legs is simply not acceptable. Putting the entire blame and shame on women for unwanted pregnancies is unacceptable.

Takes 2 to tango.
You argue well against a lot of arguments I never made. Carry on.

It's part of a larger argument, but mostly directed at your comment about unwanted pregnancies being a punishment. That being a twisted world view. I don't disagree entirely, but if you're really not ready, it's certainly not good or fun. And I put men in there too, plenty of men about pissed their pants when the girl says she's pregnant.
It is very easy to not get pregnant. It is very easy to not get a girl pregnant. It might be harder to take responsibility for consequences of getting a girl pregnant, but that is life. As I said, actions have consequences (note that nowhere did I ever make a distinction between men and women, that was something you brought up entirely on your own).

Because consequences are not good / are difficult / don't align with a life plan, should not mean it is ok to end a life to ease the burden of such consequences. Full stop and I will not change my mind on that (with the caveat I have noted in several other threads that there are times when abortions are 100% medically indicated and should always be allowed - those instances are, thankfully, rare and do not make up a statically significant portion of the abortions that have been performed in this country in the last 50 years, or ever).

I didn't realize anyone needed to define the fact that a discussion about abortion means a discussion about women. You may have a gender identity thing going on, but I refer to the biological sex. You are trying to manufacture ammo for your argument out of a twig and spit. Not gonna work out for you.

You are making an ivory tower argument. Probably male, you want to pretend that throughput history, humanity has proven itself capable of avoiding mistakes through the practice of personal responsibility. I say pretend, because I'll assume you have some basic knowledge of the fall of man.

The argument is not whether unwanted pregnancies can be avoided or not. That would be stupid, but here you are, making it. I just won't engage, except to ridicule the stupidity of it.

The only argument that matters is when a person is a person. I will admit I don't know the answer, but I'm not really interested in whether you think you know or not, because I know nobody has a good argument. It's an impossible thing to know, personhood largely being a construct of civilization, despite a person's right to live being considered a natural right by the founders, and therefore undefined by the Constitution.

I'm halfway interested in whether your arguments are capable of engaging with my point of view, which is the practical and the legal, but I know better than to get my hopes up.
Lots of words responding to things never said or ridiculing me for not responding to things you never said until the post above (nowhere have you mentioned personhood before now, at least not in response to me). But cool, I guess I am the idiot since you won't engage on the terms you set forth previously.

Difficult to engage with something (e.g., your point of view), when you dont set one forth.

Clearly we are not going to agree, or even be able to discuss a topic since you bring up a different one in each of your responses such as they are. Good day.

Poor you, abortion isn't about women, can't engage, blah blah.
D. C. Bear
Quote:

The only argument that matters is when a person is a person. I will admit I don't know the answer, but I'm not really interested in whether you think you know or not, because I know nobody has a good argument.

Do you believe that Roe was rightly decided?
Canada2017
Jack Bauer said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

Because her constituents are ignorant and don't understand the powers of Congress .
FLBear5630
D. C. Bear said:

Quote:

The only argument that matters is when a person is a person. I will admit I don't know the answer, but I'm not really interested in whether you think you know or not, because I know nobody has a good argument.

Do you believe that Roe was rightly decided?

This is not about abortion. It is about whether Roe is constitutional. Abortion is a side issue here. Roe was bad law, period.

Biden is right. If abortion is a right, codify. Either law or Amendment. Congress's job, not SC. Same on immigration.

Love Robert's Court forcing Congress to do their job.
FormerFlash
Redbrickbear said:

She says in that video she's due the next day. That's a full term baby. She already has one child which she references off screen. She knows exactly what that baby is in her stomach and what she'll see the moment that baby is delivered. You have to be a truly evil person to have all that context and still try and make a case that isn't a human and you have the right to kill it. Passage through the birth canal does not magically grant personhood.

Dems and the media can shriek all they want about "70%" of the population being in favor of abortion. The number of people in our country who think like this woman and are in favor of full term abortion is minutely small. The vast majority of people have at least a sliver of a conscience to know this is wrong.
Jack Bauer
Canada2017 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Founding Fathers were so right .

Kid is already filing emancipation papers if he survives getting out of the womb.
303Bear
Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

303Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Yes, the ole "let's just tell 18 year Olds about abstinence, that'll do the trick!"

The personal responsibility argument is such an insane theory, it falls apart after about 30 seconds of thinking how much personal responsibility humanity has ever had.
So then why do we have laws and punish people for breaking them? If you are 18 and kill someone you are held responsible. What makes a decision to engage in an activity that could lead to a child different?

Yes, sex and murder should be treated equally under the law, you're really onto something.

Comparing the 2 really highlights how insane it is.
Abortion makes the murder legal for convenience. They are radically different. Being snide and obtuse is an odd choice unless you actually believe that having a child is some kind of punishment sentence, in which case I am sorry you have such a twisted view of humanity.

You can "insert any law here" and it is the same. Actions have consequences. To suggest certain (well known) consequences should excused at the cost of a life for the convenience of the person who took the action is the height of human hubris.

Being pregnant when you don't want to be can indeed be a sentence of punishment. We have posters calling pregnant women whoores. Especially in the South, it is a stain upon your social appearance and status. Being pregnant outside marriage drastically limits social options, and fundamentalist parents still give their kids hell for it.

If you are going to want abortion to be a crime, you need to also hold the position that any man getting a woman pregnant with no plan to raise that child should be punished too, if the woman chooses abortion. I could respect that, because it's at least consistent, and treats both sexes the same.

But telling women to close their legs is simply not acceptable. Putting the entire blame and shame on women for unwanted pregnancies is unacceptable.

Takes 2 to tango.
You argue well against a lot of arguments I never made. Carry on.

It's part of a larger argument, but mostly directed at your comment about unwanted pregnancies being a punishment. That being a twisted world view. I don't disagree entirely, but if you're really not ready, it's certainly not good or fun. And I put men in there too, plenty of men about pissed their pants when the girl says she's pregnant.
It is very easy to not get pregnant. It is very easy to not get a girl pregnant. It might be harder to take responsibility for consequences of getting a girl pregnant, but that is life. As I said, actions have consequences (note that nowhere did I ever make a distinction between men and women, that was something you brought up entirely on your own).

Because consequences are not good / are difficult / don't align with a life plan, should not mean it is ok to end a life to ease the burden of such consequences. Full stop and I will not change my mind on that (with the caveat I have noted in several other threads that there are times when abortions are 100% medically indicated and should always be allowed - those instances are, thankfully, rare and do not make up a statically significant portion of the abortions that have been performed in this country in the last 50 years, or ever).

I didn't realize anyone needed to define the fact that a discussion about abortion means a discussion about women. You may have a gender identity thing going on, but I refer to the biological sex. You are trying to manufacture ammo for your argument out of a twig and spit. Not gonna work out for you.

You are making an ivory tower argument. Probably male, you want to pretend that throughput history, humanity has proven itself capable of avoiding mistakes through the practice of personal responsibility. I say pretend, because I'll assume you have some basic knowledge of the fall of man.

The argument is not whether unwanted pregnancies can be avoided or not. That would be stupid, but here you are, making it. I just won't engage, except to ridicule the stupidity of it.

The only argument that matters is when a person is a person. I will admit I don't know the answer, but I'm not really interested in whether you think you know or not, because I know nobody has a good argument. It's an impossible thing to know, personhood largely being a construct of civilization, despite a person's right to live being considered a natural right by the founders, and therefore undefined by the Constitution.

I'm halfway interested in whether your arguments are capable of engaging with my point of view, which is the practical and the legal, but I know better than to get my hopes up.
Lots of words responding to things never said or ridiculing me for not responding to things you never said until the post above (nowhere have you mentioned personhood before now, at least not in response to me). But cool, I guess I am the idiot since you won't engage on the terms you set forth previously.

Difficult to engage with something (e.g., your point of view), when you dont set one forth.

Clearly we are not going to agree, or even be able to discuss a topic since you bring up a different one in each of your responses such as they are. Good day.

Poor you, abortion isn't about women, can't engage, blah blah.
Oh good, you're doubling (tripling?) down on being petulant.
Canada2017
FormerFlash said:

Redbrickbear said:

She says in that video she's due the next day. That's a full term baby. She already has one child which she references off screen. She knows exactly what that baby is in her stomach and what she'll see the moment that baby is delivered. You have to be a truly evil person to have all that context and still try and make a case that isn't a human and you have the right to kill it. Passage through the birth canal does not magically grant personhood.

Dems and the media can shriek all they want about "70%" of the population being in favor of abortion. The number of people in our country who think like this woman and are in favor of full term abortion is minutely small. The vast majority of people have at least a sliver of a conscience to know this is wrong.
It is a difficult concept to accept....but evil does exist .

And there are evil people attempting to inflict their misery onto others.

So its best to ignore such fools and focus on protecting your own family .
Jack Bauer
The dilemma - either be homeless or move to a red state.

Chevron shrinks San Francisco headquarters, offers to relocate employees to Houston
BUbearinARK
Jack Bauer said:

The dilemma - either be homeless or move to a red state.

Chevron shrinks San Francisco headquarters, offers to relocate employees to Houston
Will they have to shrink the employees to get into the hq now?
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

2) Can impeach judges

So she can get more donations and make more money. Really stupid people eat this stuff up, she probably made over a million bucks off this interview.

Forest Bueller_bf
FormerFlash said:

Redbrickbear said:

And here is the "really stupid" that goes for AOC's blather.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.