Dobbs v. Jackson

32,640 Views | 638 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cobretti
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorJacket said:

It is a sad day - an unelected court of judges overturns a policy supported by nearly 70% of Americans.

Sad day for all the congressmen who never had the guts to enact that policy into law. I haven't read Dobbs yet but there appears to be a legal basis for overturning the law. I'm with Roberts on precedent but not enough to have a sad day. Let's hold the right people accountable: this is on the players not the refs.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

It is a sad day - an unelected court of judges overturns a policy supported by nearly 70% of Americans.
SCOTUS is not meant to uphold majority sentiment. If abortion is so popular, there should be no risk at all as every state will quickly codify it.

If anything, this perfectly illustrates the danger of courts creating positive rights rather than protecting people by protecting them from government overreach through negative rights.

Due to the supremacy clause, congress could pass federal laws codifying all of the supposedly "threatened" rights and no state could countermand that. That no congress in 50 years bothered to do so with abortion is interesting, and ultimately why this ruling even matters at all.

I completely agree with you, Congress had decades to do something.

Regardless of the politics behind these decisions, I am just disheartened for especially women of poverty in red states
With options like condoms, birth control and plan b…it's insane that women still have unwanted pregnancies.

It's always been hypocritical of the left to demand abortion, but have absolutely no concern over the huge lack of personal responsibility and prevention awareness of pregnancy.

Couples have unplanned pregnancies, not women. And birth control is not 100% effective. The idea that all women control this type of decision making is unbelievably sheltered and naive.
Everything in life has consequences.
Golem
Democrats haven't been this angry since Republicans freed their slaves. Excellent decision.

I favor DeSantis in 24, but this is the EXACT reason Trump won in 16. This is another Trump win.
Forest Bueller_bf
303Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

SCOTUS is not meant to uphold majority sentiment. If abortion is so popular, there should be no risk at all as every state will quickly codify it.

If anything, this perfectly illustrates the danger of courts creating positive rights rather than protecting people by protecting them from government overreach through negative rights.

Due to the supremacy clause, congress could pass federal laws codifying all of the supposedly "threatened" rights and no state could countermand that. That no congress in 50 years bothered to do so with abortion is interesting, and ultimately why this ruling even matters at all.

Regardless of the politics behind these decisions, I am just disheartened for especially women of poverty in red states
With options like condoms, birth control and plan b…it's insane that women still have unwanted pregnancies.

It's always been hypocritical of the left to demand abortion, but have absolutely no concern over the huge lack of personal responsibility and prevention awareness of pregnancy.
Generally agree with you on unwanted pregnancies with some exceptions.

Rape / sexual assault victims are sympathetic, and while I can understand the desire, I cannot get to a place where I believe one horrible crime justifies the killing of the innocent. Would much rather see effort and resources go into after care (both physical and mental) for victims and their families, as well as better policing practices to investigate and prosecute these crimes.

Medically necessary abortions are 100% real, though they are blessedly rare. Things like ectopic pregnancies will kill the mother 100% of the time, and they cannot be maintained long enough to ever hope to produce a viable living child. Certain other conditions such as severe hypertension / diabetes (which can be brought on or exacerbated by a pregnancy) or trauma situations justify, to me, prioritizing a mother's life over that of the child.

That said, the vast, vast majority of abortions are not performed for such reasons or in such circumstances.
This is where we are in certain agreement, well over 98% of abortions are issues of convenience. But, that comes down to a heart issue. Our society has been programed to believe a baby in the womb is not a real baby.
Mothra
Golem said:

Democrats haven't been this angry since Republicans freed their slaves. Excellent decision.

I favor DeSantis in 24, but this is the EXACT reason Trump won in 16. This is another Trump win.
Yup. It's one of the main reasons I voted for him.
Forest Bueller_bf
Booray said:

Art Vandelay said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

And that, my friends, is a conspiracy to incite an insurrection.
Seems rather insurrectiony to me

Seems free speechy to me. In the streets is ok.
Yea, but if a conservative said this, the left would say it's code or dog whistle, for tear stuff up.

The left hit the streets the Summer of 2020 and we all saw how that went.
Booray
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Couples have unplanned pregnancies, not women. And birth control is not 100% effective. The idea that all women control this type of decision making is unbelievably sheltered and naive.

Disproportionate consequences.
OsoCoreyell
BaylorJacket said:

It is a happy day. A court overturned ITSELF after having usurped the power of the people. If 70% support it, go get a constitutional amendment. Your argument evidences a lack of understanding of our systems of government.
OsoCoreyell
quash said:

Coke Bear said:

Booray said:

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions? Loaded question. I would like the world to respect the dignity of life and have the desire the ban abortion.

The Constitution is not empowering them to allow abortions. To me the decision simply states that Federal gov't isn't going to take the right away from the states to make that decision.

Or is the whole "let the states decide it" theory going to get thrown out next?
No. The states get to decide. Now circle back to the bolded statement in my post.

I would like the world to respect the dignity of life outside of a woman's body.

Completely agree. Very off-topic.
bear2be2
303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Congress has done very little of anything in 50 years. They've done little more than serve as lackeys or roadblocks to the executive over that time.
Booray
OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

It is a happy day. A court overturned ITSELF after having usurped the power of the people. If 70% support it, go get a constitutional amendment. Your argument evidences a lack of understanding of our systems of government.

Actually your understanding is the incorrect one. The fact that 70% of the people favor something is zero assurance that the Constitution can be amended.

Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, the Dakotas. Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas can stop an amendment with probably 10% of the population.
Golem
OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

If 70% of people support abortion, it should be quite simple to use their majority voting power to make it legal to the extent they support it in their states. The court merely restored legislative authority to the people and there representatives.

Booray
Golem said:

OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

If 70% of people support abortion, it should be quite simple to use their majority voting power to make it legal to the extent they support it in their states. The court merely restored legislative authority to the people and there representatives.

Different issue. And why I asked the question of whether Do bs means that the federal government cannot regulate abortion.

What is your answer to that question?
OsoCoreyell
Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

Actually your understanding is the incorrect one. The fact that 70% of the people favor something is zero assurance that the Constitution can be amended.

Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, the Dakotas. Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas can stop an amendment with probably 10% of the population.
I wasn't implying that a mere 70% of the total population would get you a constitutional amendment; But his idea that 70% of the folks should get their way nationally is not our system. Legislatures can act, and have. You might note that there is also NOT an interpretation of the Constitution to outlaw abortion nationally, though on the reasoning of Roe, the Court could've easily found that it does (by merely assuming the person-hood of a fetus). The Court correctly chose not to make the "opposite" error and put things back where they belong, in the hands of elected officials.
Wangchung
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Abstinence is 100% effective. But that's just a fancy way of dressing up the evil "personal responsibility" that we all should strive to avoid in all aspects of our lives, right?
Redbrickbear
Golem said:

OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

Cobretti
OsoCoreyell
Cobretti said:

Perhaps the least surprising thing to see today.
BearForce
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

"The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion. Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. The Court overrules those decisions and returns that authority to the people and their elected representatives."

I read that as saying the Constitution also empowers states to allow abortions. Is the pro-life world willing to live with half the US having access to abortions?

Or is the whole "let the states decide it" theory going to get thrown out next?
Unless the federal government decides to pass a federal law, and thus invoking the supremacy clause, you will have state by state regulation on abortion.
bear2be2
BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

I'm no great fan of abortion as a practice, but you can already see the practical effects this ruling will have in places where access is heavily restricted. And the most damaging outcomes will skew, as these things always do, toward the most disadvantaged populations among us.

More than for anyone else, I'm disheartened for the thousands of children who will soon be added to the nearly half-million kids we already have in foster care -- many of whom will age out to horrific outcomes while being called a victory by politicians and the religious right.

This country doesn't have an abortion problem as much has it has an unwanted pregnancy/uncared-for child problem. And restricting abortion access will do nothing to solve that. When those who are most anti-abortion are prepared to make contraceptives available to all who want/need them and will take on the burden themselves of fostering and adopting all of the children who need stable homes in this country, I'll take the term "pro-life" more seriously. But pro-birth policies create and exacerbate as many problems as they solve.
J.B.Katz
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Women and children are also raped and end up pregnant as a result.

In the news this week: a judge in Brazil blocked an 11-year-old rape victim from getting an abortion for weeks. She finally got it at 22 weeks--a bad outcome for everyone involved. An 11-year-old might suffer permanent health issues by carrying a pregnancy to tem. How anyone could possibly think that such a pregnancy is part of God's plan and must be preserved regardless of its impact on her body and mental health is beyond me.

I rolled my eyes at the "pregnant person" characterization until it dawned on me that lots of unplanned pregnancies happen to children due to rape or incest. Girls are also entering puberty earlier thanks to our diet--some as early as 8 or 9.

The New York Times published a harrowing account from a woman who recalled being taken to an OB/GYN in downtown Dallas by her father for a pregnancy test. He had raped her. She had decided that, if the test was positive, she was going to find a place where she could jump off a balcony and commit suicide. Fortunately, the test was negative, and her anger over the test and then being taken out to a nice restaurant for lunch by Papa Perv was so great that she gained the courage to stand up to him and end the abuse.

Nothing I say will put an end to the smug self-satisfaction of right-wingers of both sexes who have now reduced women to second-class citizens without complete right of agency over their medical choices and those who believe God is happy about this result and that it reflects His will for women.

One outcome I hope will happen is more DNA testing. We can now determine who the father is at 8 weeks. Men and boys should share equally in the cost of prenatal care and pay child support or for counseling for women who do as Amy Coney Barrett blithely suggested and leave the baby at a firehall. Women shouldn't have to literally bear the sole burden of the obligation of birth the hard-core Religious right will now imposed on them with the force of law alone. It takes 2.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

It doesn't help that the pro-life side, which is made up primarily of religious folks, often fight comprehensive sex education at ages when it would actually do good and resist cost- and shame-free contraceptives for those who could actually reduce teen pregnancies.

Neither side of the abortion debate is really very good about addressing the issue of unwanted pregnancies. One side views abortion as a right to be celebrated. The other views it as the root cause rather than the symptom it is.
J.B.Katz
bear2be2 said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

I'm no great fan of abortion as a practice, but you can already see the practical effects this ruling will have in places where access is heavily restricted. And it will skew, as these things always do, toward the most disadvantaged populations among us.

More than for anyone else, I'm disheartened for the thousands of children who will soon be added to the nearly half-million kids we already have in foster care -- many of whom will age out to horrific outcomes while being called a victory by politicians and the religious right.

This country doesn't have an abortion problem as much has it has an unwanted pregnancy/uncared-for child problem. And restricting abortion access will do nothing to solve that. When those who are most anti-abortion are prepared to make contraceptives available to all who want/need them and will take on the burden themselves of fostering and adopting all of the children who need stable homes in this country, I'll take the term "pro-life" more seriously. But pro-birth policies create and exacerbate as many problems as they solve.
Since the only safe course in states where it's clear the fetal life will be valued over the life of the mother will be to avoid pregnancy, I predict lower birth rates will be one outcome.

Clarence Thomas has also called for overturning precedents on contraception. At the very least, I predict legal and legislative battles over methods of contraception the Religious right considers unacceptable for whatever reason. I can think of at least 2 posters on this forum who believe the only form of contraception available to couples should be Natural Family Planning (NFP), a method that requires women to test their vaginal mucus on a daily basis (now THERE's a sexy prospect), which is not 100% reliable and simply not practical for many women.

I've heard some women who have been warned pregnancy would be a high-risk situation for them discuss the idea of pre-emptive sterilization if it appeared that, under the laws of our state, they would no longer be able to make decisions about life-threatening issues during pregnancy in consultation with their doctor. Not all women want children, and I predict more will undergo permanent sterilization procedures.
Redbrickbear
bear2be2 said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

I'm no great fan of abortion as a practice, but you can already see the practical effects this ruling will have in places where access is heavily restricted. And the most damaging outcomes will skew, as these things always do, toward the most disadvantaged populations among us.

You think its better if children are never born than for them to end up in foster care?

What.....

This is like when you see some rich liberals say..."What's the point of being alive if you have to life in poverty in the 3rd world"

What a disgusting nihilistic view of human life.
Osodecentx
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

It doesn't help that the pro-life side, which is made up primarily of religious folks, often fight comprehensive sex education at ages when it would actually do good and resist cost- and shame-free contraceptives for those who could actually reduce teen pregnancies.

Neither side of the abortion debate is really very good about addressing the issue of unwanted pregnancies. One side views abortion as a right to be celebrated. The other views it as the root cause rather than the symptom it is.
The Pro Lifers I know do a lot to help pre & post birth.
Golem
Booray said:

Golem said:

OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

Different issue. And why I asked the question of whether Do bs means that the federal government cannot regulate abortion.

What is your answer to that question?

Same issue. The constitution doesn't need amending to achieve the legislative effect Roe v Wade effected. Make no mistake, it was nothing more than legislation.

As with all government overreach since the 40's, the government will undoubtedly try to regulate it based on the ICC, particularly given the state lines that will be crossed. This rationale remains constitutionally dubious in every application in which it is used.

Again, if 70% of people support abortion, their votes will carry the day. Or, more likely, they don't really support what they think they support and when voting on specifics, they will be found to support minor exceptions in most cases - like rape and incest.

Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Disproportionate consequences.
That's life.
Mothra
Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

BaylorJacket said:

Then leave it to the states, as it should have been.
J.B.Katz
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

I don't know anyone who views the right to abortion as something to be celebrated. They view it as a necessity in order for women to have equal rights under the law and be eligible to participate equally in society.

This is obviously not a priority in churches that don't allow women to preach, be ordained or serve in the priesthood and hew to a "man makes the decisions and woman submits" ethic. That's the ethic SCOTUS now seeks to impose on women by eliminating any protections they had under federal law to accommodate the fact that only women can become pregnant.

The U.S. obviously no longer has separation of church and state. SCOTUS also just legalized Christian madrassas thanks to the Maine case & I look forward to the shocked reaction from hard-righties who believe that Muslims are the spawn of Satan when Muslims who want to send their boys to real madrassas in the U.S. apply for the public funding they will now be eligible for in some states.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

So, put them down like stray dogs then.

Nope.
Harrison Bergeron
Golem said:

Ironically Trump is pro-abortion.
Forest Bueller_bf
Obama in an effort to get elected promised Planned Parenthood that he would get Roe vs. Wade codified into law the moment he was in office this was in 2007.

Once in office his statement to them was, The Freedom of Choice is not my highest Legislative Priority, this when he had a Supermajority of a small window of time.

So even though both Obamas have put incredibly smug Tweets out there about this decision, when you break it down to reality, it was his campaign lie that made this decision possible, he seems to have forgotten that.

Quote:

In 2007, when Barack Obama was running for president, he promised that "the first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act," which would affirm abortion rights and effectively codify Roe v. Wade, the 1973 landmark decision that guaranteed abortion rights as constitutionally protected.

Then-presidential candidate Obama made this promise on July 17, 2007 in a speech to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which works to fight for laws and policies to protect reproductive rights and advance access to sexual health care.

Obama was elected president on Nov. 4, 2008. At a news conference marking his first 100 days in office, he was asked about the Freedom of Choice Act.

"Now, the Freedom of Choice Act is not my highest legislative priority," Obama said. "I believe that women should have the right to choose, but I think that the most important thing we can do to tamp down some of the anger surrounding this issue is to focus on those areas that we can agree on. And that's where I'm going to focus."
bear2be2
Wangchung said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

Abstinence is 100% effective. But that's just a fancy way of dressing up the evil "personal responsibility" that we all should strive to avoid in all aspects of our lives, right?
Abstinence promotion/education as a means of reducing unwanted pregnancies is wholly ineffective because humans, like all other animals, are driven by instincts. Expecting immature teenagers with raging hormones and underdeveloped brains to make the right decisions is not a strategy. It's naivety.
Cobretti
Harrison Bergeron
J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

BaylorJacket said:

303Bear said:

BaylorJacket said:

I don't know anyone who views the right to abortion as something to be celebrated. They view it as a necessity in order for women to have equal rights under the law and be eligible to participate equally in society.

This is obviously not a priority in churches that don't allow women to preach, be ordained or serve in the priesthood and hew to a "man makes the decisions and woman submits" ethic. That's the ethic SCOTUS now seeks to impose on women by eliminating any protections they had under federal law to accommodate the fact that only women can become pregnant.

The U.S. obviously no longer has separation of church and state. SCOTUS also just legalized Christian madrassas thanks to the Maine case & I look forward to the shocked reaction from hard-righties who believe that Muslims are the spawn of Satan when Muslims who want to send their boys to real madrassas in the U.S. apply for the public funding they will now be eligible for in some states.

You've really become unhinged at not being able to kill black and brown babies.

What is forcing women to have sex and get pregnant? Maybe we should fix that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.