Russia mobilizes

195,363 Views | 4259 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by sombear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630: "Taiwan sorry, you must follow Hong Kongs fate."

My wife is from Hong Kong. You might be surprised to know what kind of things Hong Kong has done to assert an independent identity since 1997.
I would love to hear about it. I have friends from Taiwan, talking to them is eye opening. I love the Taiwanese people, they are some of our best allies.
Indeed they are.

Here's one tidbit: China scared the hell out of a lot of HK citizens as 1997 approached, including the fear that Beijing would launch a 'Cultural Revolution' there, complete with DSS infiltrators and massive indoctrination. So a butt-ton of money was invested in Taiwan, just in case they had to move there. There are a number of groups out of Taiwan which drive the Beijing boys crazy with their Hong Kong protests.

For their part, Taiwan also has some cool toys for defense which don't get media attention. There is a multi-band targeting system, for example, which discriminates between flares, chaff, white noise and other tools used by jets to avoid missiles, making Taiwan very deadly to air attack. That system was built by Japan in 2019 and is only available to Japan, S Korea and Taiwan.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

I remember when the Russians just tried to poison their way to power in Ukraine. That used to be considered a bad thing until this new strain of "Russia free to bully because America is bad" line of thinking emerged.
The line of thinking is "Let's get a peace deal together asap since our current President just acknowledged that the world is teetering on the brink of nuclear armageddon".

This is all worth mushroom clouds?

Zelensky this week: " "We need pre-emptive strikes, so that they'll know what will happen to them if they use nukes, and not the other way around. Don't wait for Russia's nuclear strikes, and then say, oh, since you did this, take that from us!"

So are these radical fears or are the very guys in charge lying?
You seem to question everything until you choose not to question anything.
You guys are so certain what we're doing is right.
Doc,

Russia rolled tanks into Ukraine. They took Crimea in 2014.

Please describe to me how this is OK and how we should react when a Nation asks for help? What is the appropriate response.

We know Canada would tell them the 90's agreement is non-binding, good luck not our problem. Probably give Putin Finland to make up for the trouble we caused him. Curious what your correct response is?
The appropriate response to broker a peace deal and deescalate war. Russia and Ukraine both lose territory they believe is theirs. This completely avoids nuclear conflict, which I'm told is a legit possibility.

Describe to me how you see this going, maybe I just don't understand your goal. Are we supporting Ukraine until Russia backs down, if so, how does that work without nuclear weapons going off?
You are so naive. Do you really expect Putin to be willing to give up territory? He just "annexed" territory his troops are actively losing.
Yeah if they're losing as badly as you're saying, how can they afford not to?

Is the idea to just make them retreat, give up and just assume nuclear is off the table?
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

I remember when the Russians just tried to poison their way to power in Ukraine. That used to be considered a bad thing until this new strain of "Russia free to bully because America is bad" line of thinking emerged.
The line of thinking is "Let's get a peace deal together asap since our current President just acknowledged that the world is teetering on the brink of nuclear armageddon".

Zelensky this week: " "We need pre-emptive strikes, so that they'll know what will happen to them if they use nukes, and not the other way around. Don't wait for Russia's nuclear strikes, and then say, oh, since you did this, take that from us!"

I'm certain Russia invading Ukraine was wrong. For Ukraine and the world for that matter.
It's not worth escalating to nuclear. If this war goes nuclear, it will be because nobody made an effort to settle and make a deal. Sometimes you have to cut your losses to save lives.
This is where I start wondering if people watched too many movies like "Threads", "The Day After", and other such dark fantasies.

Despite appearances, Humans have learned from some of their wars. We don't use chemical gas in wars, for example, the way we did in WW1. And despite ample opportunity to off the planet, we consistently avert actual exchanges of nuclear weapons.

The good news is that I am certain neither the Russians nor the Americans will use a nuke in this crisis. There are too many places where that bad idea can and will be stopped short of actual action.

The bad news, is that with so much attention on nuclear weapons it would not surprise me if there were several other events with mass casualties.
Its not a good sign when our own president says we're on brink of nuclear Armageddon and the President of Ukraine echoes the same thing.,
Our entitled, under educated society ....simply can not accept what is at risk .

Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thousands of Ukrainian civilians and solders dead .

Countryside burned , cities flattened , millions of refugees forced out of their homes into other countries .

Billions of US dollars spent while hundreds of thousands of our own mentally ill are living ( and dying ) on the streets .

But hey Ukraine officially applied for NATO membership !

All worth it .

US foreign policy continues to rock .
of course it's worth it. that's why Ukrainians are willing to die for it. Freedom does tend to inspire.

The "NATO started" it argument has some shocking faulty assumptions, chief among which is the notion that Ukrainians are stooge drones who are only fighting because Nato is making them do it.

The Ukranians want and are willing to fight for their own Nation. They returned all the nukes that were there in the 90's, which they helped pay for, in exchange for Soverignty. Russia agreed. Now to attack Crimea and Ukraine after Ukraine lived up to their end of deal is reprehensible.

I am partial, I helped get two Ukranian Nationals legally out and to the US and have spoken with them about the situation. It is horrific what the Russians do and how they operate. Ukraine has the ability to add positively to NATO and the EU, we have invested in a lit of nations with much less up side than Ukraine.
exchanged for sovereignty an assurances of assistance if invaded..... USA is making good on a pledge. The right pledge, the right place, in mostly the right ways.

Ukrainians have firmly decided as a peoples that they wish to become part of Europe rather than Eurasia. The American ethos is that peoples are entitled to decide and act on questions like that. We should continue to provide arms & ammo to Ukraine, until there are no more Ukrainians asking for arms and ammo. The dishonor would be to abandon them on the battlefield.
Should we do what Zelensky wants?

Zelensky can say whatever he wants for domestic or foreign purposes.
It doesn't obligate us to do anything.
And he knows that.
But would this be a good idea?
ATL Bear
Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

I'm certain Russia invading Ukraine was wrong. For Ukraine and the world for that matter.
It's not worth escalating to nuclear. If this war goes nuclear, it will be because nobody made an effort to settle and make a deal. Sometimes you have to cut your losses to save lives.
Talking about escalating to nuclear war is different than escalating to nuclear war. And don't assume there aren't efforts being made to find a resolution. The nuclear rhetoric is part of that game more than actual nuclear war.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc,

Please describe to me how this is OK and how we should react when a Nation asks for help? What is the appropriate response.

We know Canada would tell them the 90's agreement is non-binding, good luck not our problem. Probably give Putin Finland to make up for the trouble we caused him. Curious what your correct response is?
The appropriate response to broker a peace deal and deescalate war. Russia and Ukraine both lose territory they believe is theirs. This completely avoids nuclear conflict, which I'm told is a legit possibility.

Describe to me how you see this going, maybe I just don't understand your goal. Are we supporting Ukraine until Russia backs down, if so, how does that work without nuclear weapons going off?
No, that is not a fair settlement. Russia takes Crimea and then invades a neighboring Nation. The equitable and diplomatic response is for Ukraine to lost more land to keep Putin from using nukes???? Agree, or we are insane, Rambo-wannabes, or warmongers. I don't see this as a sound option.

Russia does not go nuclear. There is no positive end for Russia if they go that route. Between the US, NATO, and even China Russia would cease to be a functioning nation. If you think they have seen regime change to date, pop a nuke. Or, even start the process. Putin is not insane. He is relying on your response to save face and get him out of this mess with gains.

Zelensky is bluffing just as much asking for preemptive strikes, not going to happen. That is more just to show Putin two can play this game...

You act like the US is controlling this mess. I attached a very interesting article about this situation. The guy teaches at that Naval War College, so I give his opinion more credence than us amateurs. Things are worse for Russia than people think. Also, keep in mind most of China's weapons are either Russian or based on Russian designs. This article has some very sobering thoughts and the US is not the main player.

How this will end? I have no idea. But not helping an Nation asking for help and wants to re-align to the West is not a good move by the US. In my opinion, we continue to support Ukraine with conventional weapons and allow them to incorporate with the West as much as they want. Same with Finland, Sweden, and others. It is up to them. We cannot preach Democracy, human rights and Capitalism for almost 100 years and then say "No, not a binding agreement".

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3193067/how-russias-war-ukraine-increases-threat-chinas-border-and-economy
Bear8084
DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Somehow I doubt Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina , Chile, India , Laos, Cambodia , Costa Rica, Japan, Columbia , Jordan, Saudi Arabia , New Zealand , and host of other countries throughout the world are all in a self righteous tizzy to risk thermal nuclear war in order to 'make Russia pay'.

Some of you internet Rambo's need to access You Tube and pull up the old films of above ground hydrogen bomb tests last conducted decades ago.

As its clear you don't have anything approaching a clear understanding of what's at risk .
Like I said earlier, hyperbolic Eeyore
Old man Biden has recently stated that the current threat of nuclear war is the highest since the Cuban Missile Crises of 1962.

Is he now 'eeyore' as well ?

Get a semblance of a clue.
"Old man Biden is an untrustworthy, senile fool except when he's discussing the threat of nuclear war in front of his base."

Please….
Silly deflection .

200,000 Russian troops on the Ukrainian border and Harris goes out there and resumes calls for Ukrainian membership into NATO.

US decides Putin is bluffing......whoops ...no bluff......invasion begins in earnest.....thousands dead, MILLIONS become refugees .

Now Putin's stooges are calling for the use of 'tactical' nuclear weapons.

US ignores this threat as well ....continues pumping BILLIONS of dollars worth of weapons into the war zone. Weapons that are killing Putin's solders.

But Putin is bluffing THIS time right ?

And even if he throws a few mushroom clouds over the war zone....no biggie.

You can just say 'whoops' from the safety of your keyboard.

Perfect.

Looks like it's time for you to start building your bunker. I'm sure Florduh has some plans you can borrow.

Yeah....also the NATO argument went out the window when Sweden and Finland, both western aligned and bitter enemies of Russia right on his doorstep, joined NATO and was met with just a mere shrug by Putin.
Doc Holliday
RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc,

No, that is not a fair settlement. Russia takes Crimea and then invades a neighboring Nation. The equitable and diplomatic response is for Ukraine to lost more land to keep Putin from using nukes???? Agree, or we are insane, Rambo-wannabes, or warmongers. I don't see this as a sound option.

Russia does not go nuclear. There is no positive end for Russia if they go that route. Between the US, NATO, and even China Russia would cease to be a functioning nation. If you think they have seen regime change to date, pop a nuke. Or, even start the process. Putin is not insane. He is relying on your response to save face and get him out of this mess with gains.

Zelensky is bluffing just as much asking for preemptive strikes, not going to happen. That is more just to show Putin two can play this game...

You act like the US is controlling this mess. I attached a very interesting article about this situation. The guy teaches at that Naval War College, so I give his opinion more credence than us amateurs. Things are worse for Russia than people think. Also, keep in mind most of China's weapons are either Russian or based on Russian designs. This article has some very sobering thoughts and the US is not the main player.

How this will end? I have no idea. But not helping an Nation asking for help and wants to re-align to the West is not a good move by the US. In my opinion, we continue to support Ukraine with conventional weapons and allow them to incorporate with the West as much as they want. Same with Finland, Sweden, and others. It is up to them. We cannot preach Democracy, human rights and Capitalism for almost 100 years and then say "No, not a binding agreement".

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3193067/how-russias-war-ukraine-increases-threat-chinas-border-and-economy

I'm not making the case to leave them on their own.

I guess I have to accept 0% chance of nuclear war and 100% chance of Russia losing if we're going to continue to send hundreds of billions of dollars, weapons etc.

When are our own leaders going to be held accountable for not preventing a situation like this to begin with? It irks me that we're obligated to help Ukraine while the US and the west didn't do anything to virtually make this impossible for Russia to attempt.
Sam Lowry
Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Somehow I doubt Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina , Chile, India , Laos, Cambodia , Costa Rica, Japan, Columbia , Jordan, Saudi Arabia , New Zealand , and host of other countries throughout the world are all in a self righteous tizzy to risk thermal nuclear war in order to 'make Russia pay'.

Some of you internet Rambo's need to access You Tube and pull up the old films of above ground hydrogen bomb tests last conducted decades ago.

As its clear you don't have anything approaching a clear understanding of what's at risk .
Old man Biden has recently stated that the current threat of nuclear war is the highest since the Cuban Missile Crises of 1962.

"Old man Biden is an untrustworthy, senile fool except when he's discussing the threat of nuclear war in front of his base."

Please….
Silly deflection .

200,000 Russian troops on the Ukrainian border and Harris goes out there and resumes calls for Ukrainian membership into NATO.

US decides Putin is bluffing......whoops ...no bluff......invasion begins in earnest.....thousands dead, MILLIONS become refugees .

US ignores this threat as well ....continues pumping BILLIONS of dollars worth of weapons into the war zone. Weapons that are killing Putin's solders.

Perfect.

Looks like it's time for you to start building your bunker. I'm sure Florduh has some plans you can borrow.

Yeah....also the NATO argument went out the window when Sweden and Finland, both western aligned and bitter enemies of Russia right on his doorstep, joined NATO and was met with just a mere shrug by Putin.
It's almost as if Russia had a deep historical connection with Ukraine.
Bear8084
Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

Wrong point. And no excuse for an unprovoked, genocidal war.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

He Hate Me said:

Canada2017 said:

Months of internet saber rattling about how the United States should aid Ukraine .

But not a single Rambo has actually enlisted to go over there.

Shocking
Meh to this type of argument. If I change my screenname to Kissinger, then am I required to sign up for the diplomatic service before expressing an opinion?
Promoting courses of action that probably will result in the death of others without stepping up to the plate is bull*****

Here we are.
Vividly remember this same kind of naive group think as the Vietnam War rolled in.

Step by incredibly stupid step. First just weapons, then just 'advisors'...then 500,000 troops and almost 60,000 KIA.

As long as someone else was doing the fighting and getting shot up or killed ...the John Wayne mentally was immensely popular.

Guess what ? It didn't stay 'popular' once the caskets began coming in by the hundreds .

Keeping this simple for all you John Wayne fans .

IF RUSSIA PLAYED THIS SAME GEOPOLITICAL GAME WITH MEXICO the response of the United States would be damn well similar .

We have been led by the nose by the Democratic party ...step by predictable step...into a possible nuclear war.

This is the real deal...no video game 'overs' .

Again, we literally had the same situation in Central America and didn't do what you're saying we would.

But I'm someone who's been close to the horrors of war, so you can back off the John Wayne and video game comment. The massacres of being out armed by ruthless enemies results in immense brutality. And Russia's got a serious track record of this. I don't want US boots on the ground, but I'm ok giving resources to help defend themselves.

This is nothing like Viet Nam. This is a sovereign nation asking for help from invasion. This is not stepping into a poliical civil war. Ukraine is a stable Govt, Viet Nam had 12 govts in 2 years. There is no Gulf of Tonkin incident. There is no draft. To say this is Viet Nam is ridiculous and showsa lack of understanding.

The US is providing assistance, there are no US service men fighting in Ukraine. Ukraine does not want someone else to fight for their Nation, they are doing that themselves.

A Soverign nation the west has courted from decades asks for help, you help.

Vietnam began as 'weapons support '….then 'advisors on the ground '….then finally 500,000 troops deployed .

We are STILL in South Korea 30,000 strong SEVENTY years after a truce was established.

Iraq is still a mess 5000 US dead later and Iran empowered .

After billions spent in Afghanistan and years of dead US servicemen the Biden Administration just abandoned 4-5 BILLION dollars worth of weaponry to the Taliban….an acknowledged terrorist organization.

When the **** are you going to figure it out ?

Being the worlds policeman is not a winning proposition and the US isn't any good at it to begin with ,

we're doing a pretty good job in Ukraine right now....

Countryside burned , cities flattened , millions of refugees forced out of their homes into other countries .

Billions of US dollars spent while hundreds of thousands of our own mentally ill are living ( and dying ) on the streets .

All worth it .

The "NATO started" it argument has some shocking faulty assumptions, chief among which is the notion that Ukrainians are stooge drones who are only fighting because Nato is making them do it.
Non sequitur.
Cobretti
Sam Lowry
Bear8084 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

Judging your opponent's excuses is less important than understanding his motives.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

The Swedes and Finns have some pretty deep historical connections to Russia too.
Bear8084
Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

Judging your opponent's excuses is less important than understanding his motives.

Understand completely.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

What the Ukrainians think is immaterial.

Putin writes up some 700 page diatribe on Peter the Great, Ukraine loses its sovereignty. Too bad, Putin believes there is a "deep historic connection". Doesn't matter that the Ukrainians don't agree. The US should just stay out.

After all, Putin is getting angry. INSANITY to let Putin get angry. Maybe we should re-open the Alaska sale to calm him down and show we are no threat. Does he want Finland? How about the Arctic? Let's abandon any presence in the Arctic, you think that will make Vlad happy? Whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't threaten to do anything rash.

Yeah, this is a sound policy. Oh wait, I don't have a blue chord. Disregard...
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

Putin writes up some 700 page diatribe on Peter the Great, Ukraine loses its sovereignty. Too bad, Putin believes there is a "deep historic connection". Doesn't matter that the Ukrainians don't agree. The US should just stay out.

After all, Putin is getting angry. INSANITY to let Putin get angry. Maybe we should re-open the Alaska sale to calm him down and show we are no threat. Does he want Finland? How about the Arctic? Let's abandon any presence in the Arctic, you think that will make Vlad happy? Whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't threaten to do anything rash.

Alaska is an American state. Ukraine isn't even a NATO member. Yet you compare them as if they were essentially the same. Incredible.
cowboycwr
Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How does anyone know the information they're getting about this war is accurate?
Why do you think you should have more information than what you are getting?

Indeed........everyone just shut up and trust this Administration to keep us out of war.

Gulf of Tonkin

Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction

Undeclared US Navy war against Germany 1940-1941.

Embargo preventing the sale of US oil to Japan

CIA assassinations throughout central America .

Eliminating enemies of the Shah of Iran keeping him in power against the wished of the people.

Bay of Pigs

B 52 strikes in Cambodia

North Sea pipelines

Yep, we are the 'good' guys. Don't trust anyone who questions it.

The two in bold are especially revisionist. My God man.
Dude, my father was active duty US Navy during those times.

I love FDR but he fully understood the US people did NOT want to fight Germany in 1940 and Britain was in dire need of our help. The Royal Navy was stretched thin so Roosevelt quietly ordered the US Navy TO ESCORT MERCHANT SHIPS AND FIGHT GERMAM U-BOATS attempting to stop those merchant ships.

No declaration of war , but at least one US destroyer was sunk with dozens of sailors killed. Our long range scout planes were also working in cooperation with the British .

All without the approval of the American people.

The oil embargo against Japan left them 2 options .....either end their occupation / war against China or invade the Dutch oil fields in the Far East. to get the necessary oil. Of course the Japanese clearly understood such an attack against these Dutch oil fields would bring on war with the British and Americans.........so they elected for the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.

so much wrong in your post.

Germany actually started it forcing FDR to issue the shoot on sight. First a German U-boat attempted to get into firing position on a US Destroyer picking up survivors of a sunken freighter. Then another U-boat fired on a different destroyer who dropped depth charges in response.

Then FDR issued the order.

And Germany sunk US merchants/oil tankers.

So there was no "undeclared war" but rather a defend yourself/Americans order.

As for Japan they could have invaded the Dutch East Indies and began a war with England but the US would not have stepped up and declared war at that time.

FDR ( rightly ) despised Hitler and Nazism .

However the vast majority of Americans wanted no part of a 2nd war in Europe after the widespread disillusionment felt with the conduct and post war results of WW1.

Most American wanted to focus on building up US defenses ( which had been allowed to crumble during the Great Depression ) . Charles Lindbergh was one of the most prominent spokesmen of the America First movement .

FDR had other ideas.

FDR invented 'Lend Lease' which circumvented US law prohibiting the supply of weapons to European belligerents . Huge amounts of supplies were transported through the Atlantic Ocean war zone to England .
Even to the point of giving England FIFTY destroyers out of our reserve 'mothball ' fleet . Those ships were put to immediate use by England in their desperate fight against German submarines . US warships actively escorted merchant ships ( with their war supplies for England ) to a mid point in the Atlantic Ocean where the Royal Navy then took over the escorting responsibilities .

In addition the US Army Air Force was actively scouting the Atlantic Ocean for German shipping and supplying the information to the Royal Navy . It was a US scout plane that discovered the location of the German battleship Bismarck which led to its eventual destruction and the death of thousands of German sailors .

The US even invaded Iceland in order 'to prevent Iceland's occupation by Germany '.

All while the United States claimed to be a neutral country !

Have no idea what you are attempting to say about the Dutch East Indies.

1. True most Americans did not want to get involved ina European war.

2. Lend lease was passed by Congress and this LAW and did not violate anything.

3. It was a us made plane sent to the British with a British pilot and American trainer/copilot that spotted the Bismarck.

4. Denmark asked for our troops to come to prevent Germany from taking more of their territory.

So all of those are neutral acts. Your views and skewing of the facts is revisionist history.

On the East Indies I am saying that there was no evidence that the US would have declared war on Japan if they attacked it but didn't attack any US territories. England probably would have declared war but not the US. All historical documents point towards the US not supporting war against Japan if they attacked European colonies.

Stop with the revisionist history.
Each and every one of FDR's moves was in direct conflict with the will of the US people...at least initially .

Relentless propaganda month by month slowly convinced a majority of Americans of the 'inevitability ' of war.

An 'inevitability' generated by FDR...step by politically BRILLIANT step.

Lend Lease by no means was the act of a true neutral. Millions of tons of ammo, artillery , 50 warships, guns , planes provided to only ONE of the belligerents ? Give me a freaking break . Hitler certainly didn't consider FDR's administration 'neutral '. Which was why he chose to declare war on the US immediately after Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. ( BTW Germany was NOT obligated by its treaty with Japan to do so )

The whole point of Japan's attack on the Dutch East Indies was to REPLACE oil lost due to the US oil embargo. Japan had no where else to get it. . And of course without oil their entire military machine was incapacitated . FDR knew EXACTLY what the consequences would be. Either Japan would have to acquiesce to US demands to stop their attacks in China ......or go to war. And FDR knew damn well Tojo could never acquiesce to US demands and stay in power. Or even to avoid assassination for that matter.

Did FDR know of the planned attack on Pearl Harbor ? No. Everyone from the president on down to my Dad at Pearl Harbor thought the war would begin with a Japanese attack on the Philippines .
A lot of words to miss anything I said.

You seem to attack FDR for supplying weapons to one side but ignore the fact the other side started the war. Same situation now or during just about any other war in history where another country supports one side.

Hitler didn't think anyone who wasn't with him was neutral, hence why he attacked neutral countries or countries he had treaties with.

Again, the US cutting off oil did not mean that Japan HAD to attack the US. They could have attacked and conquered the Dutch East Indies and the majority of Americans would not have supported going to war over that so the US more than likely would not have gotten involved.
cowboycwr
whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How does anyone know the information they're getting about this war is accurate?
Why do you think you should have more information than what you are getting?

Indeed........everyone just shut up and trust this Administration to keep us out of war.

Gulf of Tonkin

Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction

Undeclared US Navy war against Germany 1940-1941.

Embargo preventing the sale of US oil to Japan

CIA assassinations throughout central America .

Eliminating enemies of the Shah of Iran keeping him in power against the wished of the people.

Bay of Pigs

B 52 strikes in Cambodia

North Sea pipelines

Yep, we are the 'good' guys. Don't trust anyone who questions it.

The two in bold are especially revisionist. My God man.
Dude, my father was active duty US Navy during those times.

I love FDR but he fully understood the US people did NOT want to fight Germany in 1940 and Britain was in dire need of our help. The Royal Navy was stretched thin so Roosevelt quietly ordered the US Navy TO ESCORT MERCHANT SHIPS AND FIGHT GERMAM U-BOATS attempting to stop those merchant ships.

No declaration of war , but at least one US destroyer was sunk with dozens of sailors killed. Our long range scout planes were also working in cooperation with the British .

All without the approval of the American people.

The oil embargo against Japan left them 2 options .....either end their occupation / war against China or invade the Dutch oil fields in the Far East. to get the necessary oil. Of course the Japanese clearly understood such an attack against these Dutch oil fields would bring on war with the British and Americans.........so they elected for the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.

so much wrong in your post.

Germany actually started it forcing FDR to issue the shoot on sight. First a German U-boat attempted to get into firing position on a US Destroyer picking up survivors of a sunken freighter. Then another U-boat fired on a different destroyer who dropped depth charges in response.

Then FDR issued the order.

And Germany sunk US merchants/oil tankers.

So there was no "undeclared war" but rather a defend yourself/Americans order.

As for Japan they could have invaded the Dutch East Indies and began a war with England but the US would not have stepped up and declared war at that time.

FDR ( rightly ) despised Hitler and Nazism .

However the vast majority of Americans wanted no part of a 2nd war in Europe after the widespread disillusionment felt with the conduct and post war results of WW1.

Most American wanted to focus on building up US defenses ( which had been allowed to crumble during the Great Depression ) . Charles Lindbergh was one of the most prominent spokesmen of the America First movement .

FDR had other ideas.

FDR invented 'Lend Lease' which circumvented US law prohibiting the supply of weapons to European belligerents . Huge amounts of supplies were transported through the Atlantic Ocean war zone to England .
Even to the point of giving England FIFTY destroyers out of our reserve 'mothball ' fleet . Those ships were put to immediate use by England in their desperate fight against German submarines . US warships actively escorted merchant ships ( with their war supplies for England ) to a mid point in the Atlantic Ocean where the Royal Navy then took over the escorting responsibilities .

In addition the US Army Air Force was actively scouting the Atlantic Ocean for German shipping and supplying the information to the Royal Navy . It was a US scout plane that discovered the location of the German battleship Bismarck which led to its eventual destruction and the death of thousands of German sailors .

The US even invaded Iceland in order 'to prevent Iceland's occupation by Germany '.

All while the United States claimed to be a neutral country !

Have no idea what you are attempting to say about the Dutch East Indies.
Normally, studious neutrality is a strategic ploy to overcome weakness, countries so small they can just hunker down and let power geopolitics pass them by. Such is facilitated when one has no resources and is not in a strategic location. (like Switzerland, Finland.)

But Holland and Belgium can't do that. They are indeed totally lacking in population, industry, strategic depth to stand against larger powers, but they have the curse of being in strategically important locations....invasion routes. They are going to get invaded. Again and again and again....

The US is an entirely different animal. We are an enormously powerful country, coasts on two oceans, interests all around the globe. Few international conflicts of any significance fail to touch the hem of our cloth. So we cannot just hunker down and let events flow past us in order to avoid tough decisions. We have to decide when, where, and how we are going to deal with a problem.

We are not Switzerland. Or Belgium. We are that one country everyone has to factor into their calculations. We can define neutrality as loosely as we want or need to. Leasing/selling old warships to a strategic ally? Holland couldn't do that. Someone would take them out to rid themselves of an annoyance. But we are not an annoyance. We are the great big immovable object that, if provoked, can become an irresitable force. And if an opposing power doesn't like it, what are they going to do? Attack us?

People have tried that.
It didn't work out well for them.

In the world of power geopolitics, we are THE geopolitical power. In ALL CAPS.
We are a great big sleeping dragon.
With a "Don't Tread on Me" sign hanging around our neck.

We are teaching Russia that lesson now, again.
Some people never learn.
In reality Neutrality is one of those things that is hard to do completely if you are in the region of war. For example, Switzerland that you mentioned allowed Germany to bank there and some claim made money off the Nazis. They also allowed POWs or others to escape there and stay. Spain was "neutral" although they sided with the other fascists in terms of beliefs but they allowed POWs to escape there and then leave to their country. Same for Sweden.

To get a country that was truly 100% neutral and had no involvement in the war at all you have to look at a south American country that did little to no trade with many of the belligerent nations and were far enough removed they didn't have to worry about POWs, ships trying to hide in their ports, etc. Which would leave you with maybe 3 countries that applies to.
cowboycwr
Canada2017 said:

Prior to the end of WW2 in 1945 the Japanese Army dominated political power in Japan.

Tojo considered himself an Army general first and prime minister of Japan second . And the Army would have never allowed any civilian politician to cause the Army to 'lose face'.

FDR advisors understood this and still manipulated Japan into attacking the US first .

It was a huge risk….as it came at a time when the US Navy was already fighting it's undeclared war against German submarines in the Atlantic..

Result was a 2 ocean war the US was under equipped to fight .

Only the immense industrial capacity of the US and the enormous Russian Army made victory possible .

Biden is pushing the US step by step into a war with Russia in a similar fashion as FDR.

Only this time both protagonists have hydrogen bombs.

Bombs that make the weapons that leveled Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like mere firecrackers in comparison.

Insanity
Enough with the revisionist history.

Everything you have said has been proven wrong in this thread by multiple people.
whiterock
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

of course it's worth it. that's why Ukrainians are willing to die for it. Freedom does tend to inspire.

The Ukranians want and are willing to fight for their own Nation. They returned all the nukes that were there in the 90's, which they helped pay for, in exchange for Soverignty. Russia agreed. Now to attack Crimea and Ukraine after Ukraine lived up to their end of deal is reprehensible.

I am partial, I helped get two Ukranian Nationals legally out and to the US and have spoken with them about the situation. It is horrific what the Russians do and how they operate. Ukraine has the ability to add positively to NATO and the EU, we have invested in a lit of nations with much less up side than Ukraine.
exchanged for sovereignty an assurances of assistance if invaded..... USA is making good on a pledge. The right pledge, the right place, in mostly the right ways.

Ukrainians have firmly decided as a peoples that they wish to become part of Europe rather than Eurasia. The American ethos is that peoples are entitled to decide and act on questions like that. We should continue to provide arms & ammo to Ukraine, until there are no more Ukrainians asking for arms and ammo. The dishonor would be to abandon them on the battlefield.

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

It is entirely fitting and proper to respond to Russian nuclear saber rattling with threats of something wildly unpalatable to Russia. And what purportedly scares them most? Ukr in Nato. So threaten them that continuing to invade Ukr is the surest way to have Ukr in Nato....that the best way to prevent that from happening is to sue for peace.
Never, ever, bend to pressure (unless you HAVE to).
MAKE THE OTHER GUY BEND. (particularly when you are the bigger dog in the fight).

It would be unwise to actually admit Ukr to Nato because of the risk of future political instability.....the scenario of a replay of events of UKR in 2014 only to our disfavor. We would have in our lap exactly the scenario that laid out before as justifying our current Ukr policy....a crisis INSIDE Nato threatening the collapse of the entire alliance.**

guys. the threat to admit Ukr to Nato is not the problem. It's the deterrence. We should be opening up talks with Armenia, and Georgia (again) about Nato membership. Ramp up the pressure. Russia cannot defend against all these threats. They will not nuke the world to stop diplomatic initiatives. But they might blink. They might offer to withdraw in exchange for.......(no Nato expansion).

THEN we can have peace talks.

But until then, keep cranking the wrenches.
And nothing lubricates power like strategic ambiguity.
We must make Putin fear that he is about to have a strategic loss from which Russia cannot recover in his lifetime.

(note Pelosi visited Armenia last month.....)
(Hell, I'd be willing to send a Nato delegation to Kazakhstan if they'd have us.)

**an alliance needs stability. Including members who cannot be counted upon to stay strongly committed to the alliance are a liability. Look at the conference realignment discussions on other forums here. Do not want to admit a university that would treat us as a placeholder until a better options came along, because the departure is an existential moment for the entire conference. So I'd like to see Ukr as a Nato member 20-30 years down the road, IF/WHEN we assess their traditions and societal institutions have developed to a point where they could be properly be considered an asset to the liberal order. I assess they have the right intentions, but boy do they have a of work to do over coming decades.
trey3216
Canada2017 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

ATL Bear said:

This is where I start wondering if people watched too many movies like "Threads", "The Day After", and other such dark fantasies.

Despite appearances, Humans have learned from some of their wars. We don't use chemical gas in wars, for example, the way we did in WW1. And despite ample opportunity to off the planet, we consistently avert actual exchanges of nuclear weapons.

The good news is that I am certain neither the Russians nor the Americans will use a nuke in this crisis. There are too many places where that bad idea can and will be stopped short of actual action.

The bad news, is that with so much attention on nuclear weapons it would not surprise me if there were several other events with mass casualties.
Its not a good sign when our own president says we're on brink of nuclear Armageddon and the President of Ukraine echoes the same thing.,
Our entitled, under educated society ....simply can not accept what is at risk .

And our bumbling, over saturated portion of society is failing to realistically and logically assess risk.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

Alaska is an American state. Ukraine isn't even a NATO member. Yet you compare them as if they were essentially the same. Incredible.
Why Sam? The Russians believe it is tied to Ukraine.

https://www.ibtimes.com/russia-threatens-take-back-alaska-us-over-war-sanctions-3564746

Putin believes there is a deep, tie to the Alaskan region, after all it was Russian for 125 years. Putin also believes it was a 99 year lease, like Hong Kong. They may decide to go nuclear if they don't get what they want. It would be insanity to risk nuclear war over a piece of land so far away. Why would you not just give him what he wants with an apology or risk nuclear war.
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

It is entirely fitting and proper to respond to Russian nuclear saber rattling with threats of something wildly unpalatable to Russia. And what purportedly scares them most? Ukr in Nato. So threaten them that continuing to invade Ukr is the surest way to have Ukr in Nato....that the best way to prevent that from happening is to sue for peace.
MAKE THE OTHER GUY BEND. (particularly when you are the bigger dog in the fight).

It would be unwise to actually admit Ukr to Nato because of the risk of future political instability.....the scenario of a replay of events of UKR in 2014 only to our disfavor. We would have in our lap exactly the scenario that laid out before as justifying our current Ukr policy....a crisis INSIDE Nato threatening the collapse of the entire alliance.**

guys. the threat to admit Ukr to Nato is not the problem. It's the deterrence. We should be opening up talks with Armenia, and Georgia (again) about Nato membership. Ramp up the pressure. Russia cannot defend against all these threats. They will not nuke the world to stop diplomatic initiatives. But they might blink. They might offer to withdraw in exchange for.......(no Nato expansion).

We must make Putin fear that he is about to have a strategic loss from which Russia cannot recover in his lifetime.

(Hell, I'd be willing to send a Nato delegation to Kazakhstan if they'd have us.)

**an alliance needs stability. Including members who cannot be counted upon to stay strongly committed to the alliance are a liability. Look at the conference realignment discussions on other forums here. Do not want to admit a university that would treat us as a placeholder until a better options came along, because the departure is an existential moment for the entire conference. So I'd like to see Ukr as a Nato member 20-30 years down the road, IF/WHEN we assess their traditions and societal institutions have developed to a point where they could be properly be considered an asset to the liberal order. I assess they have the right intentions, but boy do they have a of work to do over coming decades.

If this is how it has to be, Ukraine needs to pay us back tenfold for however long it takes. I'm tired of spending billions elsewhere while we the taxpayers get ****ing screwed.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

If this is how it has to be, Ukraine needs to pay us back tenfold for however long it takes. I'm tired of spending billions elsewhere while we the taxpayers get ****ing screwed.
I agree with you on this. Ukraine needs to pay for the weapons, be a good member of the free world and if we want allow military bases. The west is helping, but there is a price for that.
Doc Holliday
RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

I agree with you on this. Ukraine needs to pay for the weapons, be a good member of the free world and if we want allow military bases. The west is helping, but there is a price for that.
NATO countries also need to pay up. Ukraine needs to be our *****. I don't care if it takes 100 years, they should pay us 10x on what we've given them.

American politicians need to explain how they can drop trillions for the past 20 years all over the world but can't keep the middle class from deeply struggling. People are about to lose their homes. We have a border crises. The cost of living is insane…but we apparently can't fix those issues.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

NATO countries also need to pay up. Ukraine needs to be our *****. I don't care if it takes 100 years, they should pay us 10x on what we've given them.

American politicians need to explain how they can drop trillions for the past 20 years all over the world but can't keep the middle class from deeply struggling. People are about to lose their homes. We have a border crises. The cost of living is insane…but we apparently can't fix those issues.
I agree. I do not tie the international spending, that is a cost of doing business in the world at the level we do, but the others are dead on. Those problems are fixable with the political will
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

https://www.ibtimes.com/russia-threatens-take-back-alaska-us-over-war-sanctions-3564746

Putin believes there is a deep, tie to the Alaskan region, after all it was Russian for 125 years. Putin also believes it was a 99 year lease, like Hong Kong. They may decide to go nuclear if they don't get what they want. It would be insanity to risk nuclear war over a piece of land so far away. Why would you not just give him what he wants with an apology or risk nuclear war.
See my post above.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

See my post above.

But it's the threat of nuclear war, doesn't that trump statehood? If it's insane to oppose Putin over thr threat of nuclear destruction, is there a level where it is sane to oppose? National Soverignty isn't enough, that is documented.
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

See my post above.

But it's the threat of nuclear war, doesn't that trump statehood? If it's insane to oppose Putin over thr threat of nuclear destruction, is there a level where it is sane to oppose? National Soverignty isn't enough, that is documented.
Whose national sovereignty?
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
Hell no.

Like Churchill he wants the US to get directly involved in the fighting .
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

RMF5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Doc Holliday said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All worth it .

And he knows that.
To say it? Yes!
To do it? No!

Fixing those issues doesn't generate the $$$$$ like defense contractors .
Canada2017
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

The Swedes and Finns have some pretty deep historical connections to Russia too.
True

Both have fought the Russians frequently .

Lost almost every time .
Canada2017
cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

Prior to the end of WW2 in 1945 the Japanese Army dominated political power in Japan.

Tojo considered himself an Army general first and prime minister of Japan second . And the Army would have never allowed any civilian politician to cause the Army to 'lose face'.

FDR advisors understood this and still manipulated Japan into attacking the US first .

It was a huge risk….as it came at a time when the US Navy was already fighting it's undeclared war against German submarines in the Atlantic..

Result was a 2 ocean war the US was under equipped to fight .

Only the immense industrial capacity of the US and the enormous Russian Army made victory possible .

Biden is pushing the US step by step into a war with Russia in a similar fashion as FDR.

Only this time both protagonists have hydrogen bombs.

Bombs that make the weapons that leveled Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like mere firecrackers in comparison.

Insanity
Enough with the revisionist history.

Everything you have said has been proven wrong in this thread by multiple people.

I am 100% on the mark .

Not sure what you got your degree in, or what you read for pleasure .....but you know very , VERY little about US history past the 9th grade 'skimming' version .

Yeah, I know....you would rather die than to admit you are wrong about anything .

So go ahead and assign yourself still another debate 'victory'.

FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Bear8084 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

Please….
Silly deflection .

Perfect.

See my post above.

Whose national sovereignty?

Does it matter?
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 122

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.