Abbott censorship plan

5,999 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Redbrickbear
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Mothra said:

quash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I was unaware the governor of Texas could ban TikTok or social medial

I learn something every day from the Einsteins on this site.

The Einstein you refer to is your governor, genius

So you misleadingly package your thread as Abbott banning TT from the State of Texas, when in truth he's banning it from state-issued devices, and have the audacity to question others' intelligence?

You are a dumb ass.
He also doesn't know what the word censorship means.
Add that to the list, along with "Libertarian."

You look stupid every time you make that argument, mainly for you inability to craft one.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
quash said:

Mothra said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Mothra said:

quash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

So you misleadingly package your thread as Abbott banning TT from the State of Texas, when in truth he's banning it from state-issued devices, and have the audacity to question others' intelligence?

You are a dumb ass.
He also doesn't know what the word censorship means.
Add that to the list, along with "Libertarian."

You look stupid every time you make that argument, mainly for you inability to craft one.

I am not sure if you'd know one if it bit you in the ass.
OsoCoreyell
I thought the argument Abbott was making was that TikTok is either CCP spyware, or could easily be amenable to that purpose. In other words, it is an actual security issue. I'm not a fan of prior restraints, but do think that banning for adequate security reasons makes sense. FYI, I note that no one is calling to ban YouTube Shorts, which is basically the same thing.
Redbrickbear
OsoCoreyell said:

I thought the argument Abbott was making was that TikTok is either CCP spyware, or could easily be amenable to that purpose. In other words, it is an actual security issue. I'm not a fan of prior restraints, but do think that banning for adequate security reasons makes sense. FYI, I note that no one is calling to ban YouTube Shorts, which is basically the same thing.
I think that is exactly the argument he is making (and Senators in Congress are making).

I think it is CCP spyware...but that it is also mentally damaging to young people as well.
Harrison Bergeron
quash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

quash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

So the governor of Texas can ban social media? I was always taught we had a weak governor, I guess all more Baylor profs were wrong. I did not not the governor of Texas could unilaterally ban social media. Interesting. What else can he do? Declare war?

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-announces-statewide-plan-banning-use-of-tiktok

It's a limited plan based on some good ol fashioned Red baiting. State universities have banned TT already

But you accidentally raised an important point.

When George Bush first ran for governor his main three issues were things that a Texas governor had no statutory or constitutional authority to do. He nevertheless achieved all three through use of the bully pulpit. My education allowed me to recognize that, sorry that yours didn't.

Tell me more about how the governor of Texas has the power to ban TikTok?
Redbrickbear
He should ban dating apps while he is at it….

quash
OsoCoreyell said:

That is his assertion. I'm waiting for the evidence.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Redbrickbear
quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

That tiktok is Chinese spyware?

Is anyone even disputing that it is not?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/breaking-the-chinese-spyware-app-is-chinese-spyware

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/22/tiktok-bytedance-workers-fired-data-access-journalists

https://www.foxnews.com/media/experts-ramp-up-tiktok-warnings-after-top-dem-admits-trump-right-chinese-spying-app

https://www.androidpolice.com/fcc-commissioner-labels-tiktok-spyware-app-store-removal/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/06/tiktok-is-chinas-trojan-horse/
OsoCoreyell
quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Well, I don't have anything I can post, but I did sit in on a security assessment from the Verizon Security guys (pretty much acknowledged as the best in the biz outside of the NSA). They said that, in its original iteration, TikTok was nakedly state spyware with some very suspicious data streams going back to the mother ship. There was lots of humanint that the CCP was very present at the mothership and playing an active role in fishing in the data streams. Since that time, TikTok has tried several steps to assure folks that the CCP no longer has that kind of access, but there is no way to confirm that. And the Verizon guys said that nothing of substance has really changed in TikTok's approach - i.e. the "firewalling" they set up is easily passable by CCP insiders if they want to. Their assessment overall was that it remained a very credible threat and that businesses would be well-advised to not allow the app to be installed on devices that accessed company networks. This was from a few months ago.

Here's a good sum-up of the recent security assessment by Internet 2-0, a pretty solid private sector security group: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/tik-tok-report-07282022110225.html
cowboycwr
I am just curious why the OP has never started threads like this about Dem governor who ban travel to other states?

Or why he did not start one on the governor of Kansas, a Dem, who has also banned TT from state devices?????

OR that Congress has done the same for US government devices?

OR that the Dem governor of Louisiana has done the same.

Or Wisconsin )dem governor).

Why is he so upset about just this one doing it and ignoring the rest????
Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

That tiktok is Chinese spyware?

Is anyone even disputing that it is not?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/breaking-the-chinese-spyware-app-is-chinese-spyware

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/22/tiktok-bytedance-workers-fired-data-access-journalists

https://www.foxnews.com/media/experts-ramp-up-tiktok-warnings-after-top-dem-admits-trump-right-chinese-spying-app

https://www.androidpolice.com/fcc-commissioner-labels-tiktok-spyware-app-store-removal/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/06/tiktok-is-chinas-trojan-horse/

Probably the people that think the governor of Texas can unilaterally ban social media and that it would equate to censorship likely dispute it.
Redbrickbear
quash
cowboycwr said:

I am just curious why the OP has never started threads like this about Dem governor who ban travel to other states?

Or why he did not start one on the governor of Kansas, a Dem, who has also banned TT from state devices?????

I don't live in those states. Duh.
quash
OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Well, I don't have anything I can post, but I did sit in on a security assessment from the Verizon Security guys (pretty much acknowledged as the best in the biz outside of the NSA). They said that, in its original iteration, TikTok was nakedly state spyware with some very suspicious data streams going back to the mother ship. There was lots of humanint that the CCP was very present at the mothership and playing an active role in fishing in the data streams. Since that time, TikTok has tried several steps to assure folks that the CCP no longer has that kind of access, but there is no way to confirm that. And the Verizon guys said that nothing of substance has really changed in TikTok's approach - i.e. the "firewalling" they set up is easily passable by CCP insiders if they want to. Their assessment overall was that it remained a very credible threat and that businesses would be well-advised to not allow the app to be installed on devices that accessed company networks. This was from a few months ago.

Here's a good sum-up of the recent security assessment by Internet 2-0, a pretty solid private sector security group: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/tik-tok-report-07282022110225.html

I don't know why state issued devices even need TikTok, but as I said there are other apps that are exploitable, just without the Red baiting value.
Harrison Bergeron
When is the governor going to ban TikTok? We were talking about the dangers of social media on another thread - once he bans it, he gets me off the hook from taking it away from my son, and all the kids lose it.
Whiskey Pete
quash said:

cowboycwr said:

You don't live in TN:

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/116025

You don't live in CA

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/107575

You don't live in MA

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/107226

You don't live in FL

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/106064/replies/2687932

cowboycwr
quash said:

cowboycwr said:

That has never stopped you from talking about things in other states before.
Golem
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

That has never stopped you from talking about things in other states before.

Oh thanks. Now he's gonna find some inexplicable way to work in "no true Scotsman" or one of his other catch phrases.
Osodecentx
quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

I don't know why state issued devices even need TikTok, but as I said there are other apps that are exploitable, just without the Red baiting value.

Why should state devices allow Tik Tok?
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron
Scattershooting while wondering when is the Texas governor going to ban Tik Tok? My son still has it ... can anyone advise? This seemed like some imminent threat to freedom and censorship. Was the OP lying?
Harrison Bergeron
Redbrickbear said:

I'm starting to agree. I'm more libertarian but at some point we have to make decisions for the public good.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

That's what I said in the post you replied to.
quash
Harrison Bergeron said:

Redbrickbear said:

I'm starting to agree. I'm more libertarian but at some point we have to make decisions for the public good.

Keep your "we" away from my freedoms.
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Redbrickbear said:

Certainly if we have already decided to but age limits on tobacco and booze we can have age limits on social media.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

That's what I said in the post you replied to.

Agreement is allowed
Redbrickbear
OsoCoreyell
quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Well, since its pretty undeniable that the CCP did and likely does use TikTok to engage in data mining for sensitive/competitive information, I don't know that this really qualifies as red-bating.

When Anthony Bliken castigated the CCP for flying baloons over the US, was that red-baiting?
Redbrickbear
fadskier
I'm confused as to how this is censorship. Can someone explain?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Redbrickbear
fadskier said:

Its not.

Age requirements for Social media use are no more or less censorship than age requirements for R rated moves or age requirements to buy cigarettes and booze.

We have age requirements on a massive number of products and services in the USA already.
cowboycwr
fadskier said:

Because quash apparently thinks that government owned devices used by government employees should be able to be used to access anything and everything including spyware just because it has some funny vids on it.

He must be ok with employees watching porn on company time on company devices or masturbating during a company zoom call......
quash
OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

quash said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Well, since its pretty undeniable that the CCP did and likely does use TikTok to engage in data mining for sensitive/competitive information, I don't know that this really qualifies as red-bating.

When Anthony Bliken castigated the CCP for flying baloons over the US, was that red-baiting?

Looks like the Reds caught something with their bait. And it didn't involve TikTok.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/02/27/texas-drivers-license-theft-dps/
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Liberal girls?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.