What's your best evidence for the existence of God?

53,460 Views | 1177 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BusyTarpDuster2017
BusyTarpDuster2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

I've been exploring different religious and philosophical ideas lately, and I would love to hear your thoughts on what convinces you that God exists. As someone who hasn't yet been convinced by arguments for the existence of God, I'm hoping to learn more about what draws others to belief in a higher power.

I don't necessarily doubt the possibility of such a being, but I also don't know how one could be proven or dis-proven definitively. That's why I'd like to hear from some of you who do believe in God - what is it about your experience or understanding of the world that makes you believe there is a God?

Of course, I'm open to hearing from people who don't believe in God as well. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Life.

No scientific explanation for living organisms is remotely viable.
I'll assume (hope) that you don't actually find this to be any convincing evidence of the presence of God. "God of the gaps" justifications for god are awful gambles. Science has made every "gap" that used to be filled by god shrink enormously over the past few centuries. More importantly - and more to the OP's question - if you find "evidence" of god in any current gap in science, that's not faith.

OP - I doubt you'll find any convincing proof of god's existence. But if you could, faith wouldn't be a thing, so perhaps that is as it is supposed to be.

The thread title is "What's your best >>>evidence<<< for the existence of God". Nobody asked for proof, and certainly not "convincing proof " (I'm not sure how proof is not convincing) .

You can't give any of us proof that you are a scientist. There may be overwhelming evidence that you are a scientist but, not proof. Unless we are talking mathematics, there is no proof.

A strong piece of evidence in biology is bacterial flagellum. But no, it is not proof.

As science got better, it allowed us to discover bacterial flagellum. The more scientist know, the more evidence is found for a designer.

Scientist don't like to admit that they are not filling gaps but creating mor gaps and providing more evidence.

Science is not finding evidence of design. If it were there would be peer reviewed journals publishing and testing such evidence. There is not.

Videos are not peer reviewed FWIW..
This makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying that when archaeologists dig up a clay pot or discover cave drawings, that they did NOT find evidence of design?
william

>>
Music: Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics: Neil Peart

I've got twelve disciples and a Buddha smile
The Garden of Allah Viking Valhalla
A miracle once in a while
I've got a pantheon of animals in a pagan soul
Vishnu and Gaia Aztec and Maya
Dance around my totem pole

I believe in what I see
I believe in what I hear
I believe that what I'm feeling
Changes how the world appears

Angels and demons dancing in my head
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed
Media messiahs preying on my fears
Pop culture - prophets playing in my ears

I've got celestial mechanics
To synchronize my stars
Seasonal migrations daily variations
World of the unlikely and bizarre

I've got idols and icons, unspoken holy vows
Thoughts to keep well-hidden
sacred and forbidden
Free to browse among the holy cows
That's why I believe

Angels and demons inside of me
Saviors and Satans all around me
Sweet chariot, swing low, coming for me
>>
Go Bears!
quash
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

I've been exploring different religious and philosophical ideas lately, and I would love to hear your thoughts on what convinces you that God exists. As someone who hasn't yet been convinced by arguments for the existence of God, I'm hoping to learn more about what draws others to belief in a higher power.

I don't necessarily doubt the possibility of such a being, but I also don't know how one could be proven or dis-proven definitively. That's why I'd like to hear from some of you who do believe in God - what is it about your experience or understanding of the world that makes you believe there is a God?

Of course, I'm open to hearing from people who don't believe in God as well. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Life.

I'll assume (hope) that you don't actually find this to be any convincing evidence of the presence of God. "God of the gaps" justifications for god are awful gambles. Science has made every "gap" that used to be filled by god shrink enormously over the past few centuries. More importantly - and more to the OP's question - if you find "evidence" of god in any current gap in science, that's not faith.

OP - I doubt you'll find any convincing proof of god's existence. But if you could, faith wouldn't be a thing, so perhaps that is as it is supposed to be.

The thread title is "What's your best >>>evidence<<< for the existence of God". Nobody asked for proof, and certainly not "convincing proof " (I'm not sure how proof is not convincing) .

You can't give any of us proof that you are a scientist. There may be overwhelming evidence that you are a scientist but, not proof. Unless we are talking mathematics, there is no proof.

A strong piece of evidence in biology is bacterial flagellum. But no, it is not proof.

As science got better, it allowed us to discover bacterial flagellum. The more scientist know, the more evidence is found for a designer.

Scientist don't like to admit that they are not filling gaps but creating mor gaps and providing more evidence.

Science is not finding evidence of design. If it were there would be peer reviewed journals publishing and testing such evidence. There is not.

This makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying that when archaeologists dig up a clay pot or discover cave drawings, that they did NOT find evidence of design?

Evidence of design as it is being used in this thread, did you not get the context?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BusyTarpDuster2017
quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

Evidence of design as it is being used in this thread, did you not get the context?

How is it different?
quash
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

An archaeologist finding a lot has found evidence that a human designed a pot.

Science has not found evidence of a designer/creator, no matter how many gaps you slot your God into.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

Science has not found evidence of a designer/creator, no matter how many gaps you slot your God into.

How does the archeologists know the pot was designed? How does he know it was, as you said, designed by "a human".

Your archeologists recognizes design when he sees it. Some scientists recognize design when they see it, as in the clotting factor and healing process, bacterial flagellum DNA…

So, now we all agree that design can be identified.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

How does the archeologists know the pot was designed? How does he know it was, as you said, designed by "a human".

Your archeologists recognizes design when he sees it. Some scientists recognize design when they see it, as in the clotting factor and healing process, bacterial flagellum DNA…

In human artifacts sure. Not in what you listed.
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

In human artifacts sure. Not in what you listed.

In the irreducibly complex rotary engine of bacterial flagellum, what is the alternative to design? How would you describe it?
BusyTarpDuster2017
quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

You didn't answer the question.

You're merely inferring "design" from the pot (as well as that it was from a human) without actually explaining what your criteria for "design" is, and why exactly the pot qualifies but the flagellum, as well as all other examples given in this thread, doesn't. If you don't define "design" then your assertion that "science has not found evidence of design (in the context of creation)" has no basis.
BusyTarpDuster2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorJacket said:

Life.

How is it different?

Precisely the point. Design is inferred from the design itself. "Design" is a concept that is INDEPENDENT of the explanation of the source intelligence behind the design. One can not reject "design" simply because they don't find the explanation of the source to be credible. That is known as a genetic fallacy.
historian
The existence of God is self evident. The only evidence I need are two passages from the Bible:

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above declared his handiwork."
Psalm 19:1

Romans chapter 1, especially:

"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world." Romans 1:19-20
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BearWithMe
historian said:

The existence of God is self evident. The only evidence I need are two passages from the Bible:

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above declared his handiwork."

"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world." Romans 1:19-20

As someone who is very much open to believing in God, but has not been presented with sufficient evidence (scientific, theological, philosophical, i.e. this term can be used loosely here) that has convinced me nor really even moved the dial much, can you please further explain how the existence of God is self evident beyond just the "look at the trees" argument?

I could state that the belief in Thor is self evident - but no matter how much I state this or point to Ancient Greek texts, I highly doubt this will convince you.

historian
Science & philosophy cannot address the question if Hid because He is beyond their competence. I'm no expert on either but I do know that the universe is incredibly vast & complicated, maybe even infinite. I also know that every human cell is vast & incredibly complicated at the microscopic level. None of that happened by chance.

As for Thor or any other pagan mythology, they are silly alternatives to the one true God. They are merely clever stories about deeply flawed humans with magical powers. God is infinite, timeless & omnipotent. He is perfect in every way. We cannot understand Him because He is everything we are not. It would be arrogant & presumptuous for us to try.

In the end we can only get to know God through faith. We have to be willing to believe. Anyone who is unwilling to come to God on His terms will remain lost. That's a shame because He made it pretty simple when He sent His Son to bridge the gap.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

historian said:

As someone who is very much open to believing in God, but has not been presented with sufficient evidence (scientific, theological, philosophical, i.e. this term can be used loosely here) that has convinced me nor really even moved the dial much, can you please further explain how the existence of God is self evident beyond just the "look at the trees" argument?

I could state that the belief in Thor is self evident - but no matter how much I state this or point to Ancient Greek texts, I highly doubt this will convince you.

What is your definition of "look at the trees argument"?

BearWithMe
historian said:

In the end we can only get to know God through faith. We have to be willing to believe. Anyone who is unwilling to come to God on His terms will remain lost. That's a shame because He made it pretty simple when He sent His Son to bridge the gap.

If faith is the only way to get to know God, then I'd argue this is an extremely poor design. Isn't it possible to come to any conclusion through "faith"?
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Essentially, this argument is that you can find/see God in the beauty/complexity of the Universe. In the sunset on the beach, the wind blowing through the trees, the cry of a newborn, the stars in the sky, etc.
Mitch Blood Green
Is there a heaven for a G?
historian
BearWithMe said:

historian said:

If faith is the only way to get to know God, then I'd argue this is an extremely poor design. Isn't it possible to come to any conclusion through "faith"?

It's a perfect design: we can only get to God through humility, trusting in Him, & believing in Him. It's not about any of us. It's all about Jesus. He is perfect, no one else ever was.
historian
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Essentially, this argument is that you can find/see God in the beauty/complexity of the Universe. In the sunset on the beach, the wind blowing through the trees, the cry of a newborn, the stars in the sky, etc.

Those things point to good but we need to open our eyes to truly see God. Again it takes humility.
historian
"He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed." Proverbs 3:34

"The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor."
Proverbs 15:33

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10

"Once more the humble will rejoice in the Lord."
Isaiah 29:19a

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you."
I Peter 5:6
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

What do you think about digging a bit deeper, say for example an annual cycle of monarch butterflies, the design and camouflage of a flounder, DNA, the clotting factor, or bacterial flagellum?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some things that others consider beautiful art I may think looks like spilt paint.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

historian said:

I've been married to the same woman for 37 years. I know a great deal about here but, not everything. I think any married person will say the same thing about their spouse.

I didn't get to know her through faith but through experience. My experiences with her, my observations of her, my knowledge of her-all these things have given me reason to have faith in her, to love her. As my faith has grown, my love has grown.

I saw evidence of a good woman. I followed the evidence and fell in love.

It is the same with God. All around, there is evidence of a creator and of design. There is also evidence of right and wrong, love and hate, justice and injustice. Follow the evidence with an open mind and see where it leads.

BearWithMe
historian said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

It's a perfect design: we can only get to God through humility, trusting in Him, & believing in Him. It's not about any of us. It's all about Jesus. He is perfect, no one else ever was.
Again though, my question for you is isn't it possible to come to any conclusion/opinion through faith alone? (a simple yes/no would suffice)
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

What do you think about digging a bit deeper, say for example an annual cycle of monarch butterflies, the design and camouflage of a flounder, DNA, the clotting factor, or bacterial flagellum?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some things that others consider beautiful art I may think looks like spilt paint.
I see incredibly intricate and complex structures/patterns when looking deeper.
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

I've been married to the same woman for 37 years. I know a great deal about here but, not everything. I think any married person will say the same thing about their spouse.

I didn't get to know her through faith but through experience. My experiences with her, my observations of her, my knowledge of her-all these things have given me reason to have faith in her, to love her. As my faith has grown, my love has grown.

It is the same with God. All around, there is evidence of a creator and of design. There is also evidence of right and wrong, love and hate, justice and injustice. Follow the evidence with an open mind and see where it leads.
Thank you for the response. As a married man myself (although not 37 years, cheers & congratulations to y'all on what I can imagine has been an amazing adventure), I can resonate with your points on experience.

I fail though to find parallels in this with evidence for God, could you perhaps expand on this some more? What forms of evidence are you referring to?
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

I see incredibly intricate and complex structures/patterns when looking deeper.
complex structures and patterns: did they happen by accident? What was the catalyst to start the development of these structures and patters? Is there thought/design behind these?
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Thank you for the response. As a married man myself (although not 37 years, cheers & congratulations to y'all on what I can imagine has been an amazing adventure), I can resonate with your points on experience.

I fail though to find parallels in this with evidence for God, could you perhaps expand on this some more? What forms of evidence are you referring to?
Just as you have a relationship with your spouse, Christians have a relationship with the triune God.

Your relationship with your spouse didn't begin with faith but with evidence. The same is true of the Christian's relationship with God.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

All of the above are more arguments against the absurd idea that it all just happened by accident. Nature is filled with innumerable examples of reality that cannot reasonably be explained without a creator.
historian
"By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible." Hebrews 11:3

"The sacred writings… are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." II Timothy 3:15b
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

complex structures and patterns: did they happen by accident?
We have good understanding of the mechanics and evolution by natural selection of these processes, so I would state that, no, they were not by accident.

LIB,MR BEARS said:

What was the catalyst to start the development of these structures and patters?
Evolution by natural selection. If you are referring to abiogenesis, we have many hypotheses, but obviously at our current technological level we do not know.

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is there thought/design behind these?
I don't know. It's not that I'm stating there was not thought/design behind them, but I fail to see any evidence to support this.
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Just as you have a relationship with your spouse, Christians have a relationship with the triune God.

Your relationship with your spouse didn't begin with faith but with evidence. The same is true of the Christian's relationship with God.
Does God physically speak to you, hug you, work a 9-5 to provide for you? To me, if God does indeed exist, he seems to be invisible & silent.

As an aside, I am joyful that you find meaning & purpose in your spiritual relationship with God. The point here I am trying to make is this is not a great argument to convince non-theists.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Does God physically speak to you, hug you, work a 9-5 to provide for you? To me, if God does indeed exist, he seems to be invisible & silent.

As an aside, I am joyful that you find meaning & purpose in your spiritual relationship with God. The point here I am trying to make is this is not a great argument to convince non-theists.
I haven't seen a cop today. Do they not exist?

I haven't seen a golf game today. Do those not exist?

I haven't seen a statue today. Do those not exist?

You and I both know that the things I listed above exist. The fact I haven't seen them is only because I've not sought them.

That doesn't mean seeking a Flying Spaghetti Monster will lead me to one if one doesn't exist. However, if I seek what there is evidence of, I am more likely to find it by seeking it.

There is a difference between a skeptic and a cynic.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

Thanks! Your joy for me is very obvious in your first paragraph. /s
Coke Bear
BearWithMe said:

With no disrespect to historian, I agree with you about the Bible not being a proof for God. That is not the intent of the Bible.

So that I can better understand where you are coming from, where you ever a believe in God? If so, why did you quit believing in Him?

What do you think is the best evidence for God and why does it fail in your opinion?
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

I haven't seen a cop today. Do they not exist?

I haven't seen a golf game today. Do those not exist?

I haven't seen a statue today. Do those not exist?

You and I both know that the things I listed above exist. The fact I haven't seen them is only because I've not sought them.

That doesn't mean seeking a Flying Spaghetti Monster will lead me to one if one doesn't exist. However, if I seek what there is evidence of, I am more likely to find it by seeking it.

There is a difference between a skeptic and a cynic.
In my opinion this argument is a logical fallacy where you can essentially plug in anything (including the flying spaghetti monster).

I have sought God and have not found anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.