What's your best evidence for the existence of God?

52,643 Views | 1177 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BusyTarpDuster2017
BearWithMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

In the end we can only get to know God through faith. We have to be willing to believe. Anyone who is unwilling to come to God on His terms will remain lost. That's a shame because He made it pretty simple when He sent His Son to bridge the gap.

If faith is the only way to get to know God, then I'd argue this is an extremely poor design. Isn't it possible to come to any conclusion through "faith"?
I've been married to the same woman for 37 years. I know a great deal about here but, not everything. I think any married person will say the same thing about their spouse.

I didn't get to know her through faith but through experience. My experiences with her, my observations of her, my knowledge of her-all these things have given me reason to have faith in her, to love her. As my faith has grown, my love has grown.

I saw evidence of a good woman. I followed the evidence and fell in love.

It is the same with God. All around, there is evidence of a creator and of design. There is also evidence of right and wrong, love and hate, justice and injustice. Follow the evidence with an open mind and see where it leads.
Thank you for the response. As a married man myself (although not 37 years, cheers & congratulations to y'all on what I can imagine has been an amazing adventure), I can resonate with your points on experience.

I fail though to find parallels in this with evidence for God, could you perhaps expand on this some more? What forms of evidence are you referring to?
Just as you have a relationship with your spouse, Christians have a relationship with the triune God.

Your relationship with your spouse didn't begin with faith but with evidence. The same is true of the Christian's relationship with God.
Does God physically speak to you, hug you, work a 9-5 to provide for you? To me, if God does indeed exist, he seems to be invisible & silent.

As an aside, I am joyful that you find meaning & purpose in your spiritual relationship with God. The point here I am trying to make is this is not a great argument to convince non-theists.
Thanks! Your joy for me is very obvious in your first paragraph. /s
I understand tone is lost over the internet, but I am genuinely glad for you and others that experience spirituality through your religion. It is one of the beautiful aspects of being human.

My goal here is not to tear anyone's faith down or mock, as I have many religious colleagues and friends much smarter than I, but listen to why you believe what you do and carefully analyze my own beliefs.
BearWithMe
Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

As someone who is very much open to believing in God, but has not been presented with sufficient evidence (scientific, theological, philosophical, i.e. this term can be used loosely here) that has convinced me nor really even moved the dial much, can you please further explain how the existence of God is self evident beyond just the "look at the trees" argument?

I could state that the belief in Thor is self evident - but no matter how much I state this or point to Ancient Greek texts, I highly doubt this will convince you.
With no disrespect to historian, I agree with you about the Bible not being a proof for God. That is not the intent of the Bible.

So that I can better understand where you are coming from, where you ever a believe in God? If so, why did you quit believing in Him?

What do you think is the best evidence for God and why does it fail in your opinion?
Hey Coke Bear, thank you for asking! I was raised secular but very much in a Christian community in Texas. My family would go to church during the big two (Easter/Christmas), but beyond that religion/spirituality was not a topic discussed at the dinner table.

Starting around high school though I took this more seriously, as the majority of my friends were committed Christians. I started attending youth groups, small groups, and studying the bible cover to cover. However, the claims seemed, personally of course, irrational to me in the grand context of the full texts. Additionally, I spent time in the middle east and gained an appreciation for the dedication of my Muslim friends, but was even more skeptical of their claims.

I actually decided to come to Baylor over UT/A&M partly because of the spiritual aspect and was plugged into Christian circles throughout, but never became a Christian myself.

As for the best evidence of God, I think it definitely depends on what you mean by "God". However, in a vague context of this term, I would say the best argument for me personally is the contingency argument. Some of the holes I see in this argument though are:
  • Self-Contradiction: If something can exist without an explanation (e.e., God), then it is possible that the universe can exist without an explanation
  • Composition Fallacy
  • Similar to self-contradiction, but the problem of infinite regress
Coke Bear
BearWithMe said:

Hey Coke Bear, thank you for asking! I was raised secular but very much in a Christian community in Texas. My family would go to church during the big two (Easter/Christmas), but beyond that religion/spirituality was not a topic discussed at the dinner table.

Starting around high school though I took this more seriously, as the majority of my friends were committed Christians. I started attending youth groups, small groups, and studying the bible cover to cover. However, the claims seemed, personally of course, irrational to me in the grand context of the full texts. Additionally, I spent time in the middle east and gained an appreciation for the dedication of my Muslim friends, but was even more skeptical of their claims.

I actually decided to come to Baylor over UT/A&M partly because of the spiritual aspect and was plugged into Christian circles throughout, but never became a Christian myself.
Thanks for sharing your story! I would agree with you about the Muslim claims. Quite frankly, I believe that Mohammad was truly led by a demon to "write" the Koran, but I image you don't believe in demons either and that's not really the point of our conversation. But I digress ...

BearWithMe said:

As for the best evidence of God, I think it definitely depends on what you mean by "God".
I would define God as the supreme, infinite personal being. Some of the attributes of God are Eternal, Infinite, Immaterial (Simple), Transcendent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient.

BearWithMe said:

However, in a vague context of this term, I would say the best argument for me personally is the contingency argument. Some of the holes I see in this argument though are:
  • Self-Contradiction: If something can exist without an explanation (e.e., God), then it is possible that the universe can exist without an explanation
  • Composition Fallacy

Sounds like you've done your philosophical homework.

I, embarrassingly, admit that I struggle with moderate to deeper philosophy. I want to get it, but many times I get lost in the sauce. It's frustrating and humbling. I've never taken a course in it. I've only done light reading and listened to many podcast (although maybe I should slow them down to 1X instead of the 1.5 that I normally listen to.)

With respect to contingency (and maybe this crosses into the Cosmological argument) but as I understand it, because (as most scientists believe) the universe has a beginning, it has to be contingent on something else to create it.

I am confused a bit by the infinite regress, but I assume that concept was on the side of the theist. Something has to pull the boxcars or at some point you run out of turtles to stand on the back of the next turtle.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

In the end we can only get to know God through faith. We have to be willing to believe. Anyone who is unwilling to come to God on His terms will remain lost. That's a shame because He made it pretty simple when He sent His Son to bridge the gap.

If faith is the only way to get to know God, then I'd argue this is an extremely poor design. Isn't it possible to come to any conclusion through "faith"?
I've been married to the same woman for 37 years. I know a great deal about here but, not everything. I think any married person will say the same thing about their spouse.

I didn't get to know her through faith but through experience. My experiences with her, my observations of her, my knowledge of her-all these things have given me reason to have faith in her, to love her. As my faith has grown, my love has grown.

It is the same with God. All around, there is evidence of a creator and of design. There is also evidence of right and wrong, love and hate, justice and injustice. Follow the evidence with an open mind and see where it leads.
Thank you for the response. As a married man myself (although not 37 years, cheers & congratulations to y'all on what I can imagine has been an amazing adventure), I can resonate with your points on experience.

I fail though to find parallels in this with evidence for God, could you perhaps expand on this some more? What forms of evidence are you referring to?
Just as you have a relationship with your spouse, Christians have a relationship with the triune God.

Your relationship with your spouse didn't begin with faith but with evidence. The same is true of the Christian's relationship with God.
Does God physically speak to you, hug you, work a 9-5 to provide for you? To me, if God does indeed exist, he seems to be invisible & silent.

As an aside, I am joyful that you find meaning & purpose in your spiritual relationship with God. The point here I am trying to make is this is not a great argument to convince non-theists.
I haven't seen a cop today. Do they not exist?

I haven't seen a golf game today. Do those not exist?

I haven't seen a statue today. Do those not exist?

You and I both know that the things I listed above exist. The fact I haven't seen them is only because I've not sought them.

That doesn't mean seeking a Flying Spaghetti Monster will lead me to one if one doesn't exist. However, if I seek what there is evidence of, I am more likely to find it by seeking it.

There is a difference between a skeptic and a cynic.
In my opinion this argument is a logical fallacy where you can essentially plug in anything (including the flying spaghetti monster).

I have sought God and have not found anything.

I've no idea how you sought God. If it was with "all your heart" then, I believe you would have found Him. If it was with the effort I put into looking for the detergent and can't find it , though my wife walks straight to it, then I believe you need to look again, with "all your heart."

You state that you are open to believing yet, your sniping and snide remarks suggest otherwise. I'm in no position to know for sure. Only you and the God you don't believe in know.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

As someone who is very much open to believing in God, but has not been presented with sufficient evidence (scientific, theological, philosophical, i.e. this term can be used loosely here) that has convinced me nor really even moved the dial much, can you please further explain how the existence of God is self evident beyond just the "look at the trees" argument?

I could state that the belief in Thor is self evident - but no matter how much I state this or point to Ancient Greek texts, I highly doubt this will convince you.
With no disrespect to historian, I agree with you about the Bible not being a proof for God. That is not the intent of the Bible.

So that I can better understand where you are coming from, where you ever a believe in God? If so, why did you quit believing in Him?

What do you think is the best evidence for God and why does it fail in your opinion?

As for the best evidence of God, I think it definitely depends on what you mean by "God". However, in a vague context of this term, I would say the best argument for me personally is the contingency argument. Some of the holes I see in this argument though are:
  • Composition Fallacy

Regarding paragraph 2; most youth groups and youth ministries leave much to be desired regarding apologetics, and when you are looking for evidence, apologetics is what you turn to. Apologetics never saved a soul but it does help Christians defend their faith.

74% of all freshmen turn from their faith in their freshman year. Most do not have the knowledge to defend their faith.

My concern would be, did you have the knowledge of the evidence that leads to faith or were you like so many other high school kids and found temporary answers without a firm foundation?

If, in your freshman year a professor said there are contradictions in the Bible or no evidence to support X in the Bible, would you have been able to defend your faith?

What evidence were you aware of during your high school years?
BearWithMe
Coke Bear said:

Thanks for sharing your story! I would agree with you about the Muslim claims. Quite frankly, I believe that Mohammad was truly led by a demon to "write" the Koran, but I image you don't believe in demons either and that's not really the point of our conversation. But I digress ...
Haha that is super interesting! I haven't heard this theory before, but I'm certainly interested in taking a look. Agreed, probably best for another thread, but do you have any recommended reading material on this? Or is this more a personal theory?

Coke Bear said:

I would define God as the supreme, infinite personal being. Some of the attributes of God are Eternal, Infinite, Immaterial (Simple), Transcendent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient.

Sounds like you've done your philosophical homework.

I, embarrassingly, admit that I struggle with moderate to deeper philosophy. I want to get it, but many times I get lost in the sauce. It's frustrating and humbling. I've never taken a course in it. I've only done light reading and listened to many podcast (although maybe I should slow them down to 1X instead of the 1.5 that I normally listen to.)

With respect to contingency (and maybe this crosses into the Cosmological argument) but as I understand it, because (as most scientists believe) the universe has a beginning, it has to be contingent on something else to create it.

I am confused a bit by the infinite regress, but I assume that concept was on the side of the theist. Something has to pull the boxcars or at some point you run out of turtles to stand on the back of the next turtle.
Given you're response, I disagree that you struggle with moderate to deeper philosophy. It seems like you certainly have a good grasp on the core concepts, and let's be honest, no one is able to fully 100% understand ideas like infinite regress/infinity. We can just do our best to try and ponder the topic.

The part that I'd like to push back a bit on is "the universe has a beginning". As you know, we are able to trace the movement of matter & energy backwards in time into a singularity where physics & mathematics breaks down. However, science has no idea what caused the big bang. Was there a universe prior to ours that eventually collapsed? (i.e., the Cyclical Universe). Perhaps we are just a bubble in a vast, potentially infinite bulk of other universes popping into existence. My personal favorite theory is that we are inside a Black Hole of a parent universe. Or, perhaps this is the only universe and indeed a being so incredibly powerful was able to bring it into existence from nothing.

As a side note, any favorite podcasts on philosophy? I typically just read on the subject, so curious to hear your recommendations.
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

You and I both know that the things I listed above exist. The fact I haven't seen them is only because I've not sought them.

That doesn't mean seeking a Flying Spaghetti Monster will lead me to one if one doesn't exist. However, if I seek what there is evidence of, I am more likely to find it by seeking it.

In my opinion this argument is a logical fallacy where you can essentially plug in anything (including the flying spaghetti monster).

I've no idea how you sought God. If it was with "all your heart" then, I believe you would have found Him. If it was with the effort I put into looking for the detergent and can't find it , though my wife walks straight to it, then I believe you need to look again, with "all your heart."

You state that you are open to believing yet, your sniping and snide remarks suggest otherwise. I'm in no position to know for sure. Only you and the God you don't believe in know.
I don't think it is particularly fruitful to discuss how hard I have looked for God, as this is at the end of the day subjective and impossible to prove (especially on the internet). However, I do take this topic incredibly seriously and constantly seek to learn more.

I apologize if my comments have come off rude, but again, I have no ill-intent in my words. I have minor autism, so sometimes it is difficult for me to phrase things without coming off as blunt.
BearWithMe
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Regarding paragraph 2; most youth groups and youth ministries leave much to be desired regarding apologetics, and when you are looking for evidence, apologetics is what you turn to. Apologetics never saved a soul but it does help Christians defend their faith. 74% of all freshmen turn from their faith in their freshman year. Most do not have the knowledge to defend their faith.

My concern would be, did you have the knowledge of the evidence that leads to faith or were you like so many other high school kids and found temporary answers without a firm foundation?
I'm still looking today for evidence that leads to faith, so no, I did not have this knowledge during high school.

LIB,MR BEARS said:

If, in your freshman year a professor said there are contradictions in the Bible or no evidence to support X in the Bible, would you have been able to defend your faith?

What evidence were you aware of during your high school years?
No, I was not able to defend my faith freshman year of college, as I did not have faith to begin with.

As for evidence during my high school years, I'm going to be honest in that I don't remember (it's been over a decade for me). In highschool/college I was more interested in biblical contradictions and historical accounts, and as I've grown older I've become more interested in philosophy & science. I don't remember the name of all the books I read in primary school, but I went through some of the classic apologetics like "Evidence that Demands a verdict".
Coke Bear
BearWithMe said:

Haha that is super interesting! I haven't heard this theory before, but I'm certainly interested in taking a look. Agreed, probably best for another thread, but do you have any recommended reading material on this? Or is this more a personal theory?
It's more of a personal theory, but I've recently heard other apologists confirm my thoughts. As most know, Mohammad was raised for the most part by his uncle who didn't have much. The Koran is a mixture of Hebrew and Christian culture and beliefs. Maybe he was influenced by both cultures. He was allegedly had an encounter with the Angel Gabriel who grabbed him into forced him to read when he didn't have the ability to. The actions seem a little un-angel like from everything we know about them.

Unfortunately I do not have any sources for my theory, but a good book that discusses the differences between Islam and Christianity is Not Peace But a Sword by Robert Spencer. It delves into how Islam spread and it's ultimate goal.

BearWithMe said:

Given you're response, I disagree that you struggle with moderate to deeper philosophy. It seems like you certainly have a good grasp on the core concepts, and let's be honest, no one is able to fully 100% understand ideas like infinite regress/infinity. We can just do our best to try and ponder the topic.

The part that I'd like to push back a bit on is "the universe has a beginning". As you know, we are able to trace the movement of matter & energy backwards in time into a singularity where physics & mathematics breaks down. However, science has no idea what caused the big bang. Was there a universe prior to ours that eventually collapsed? (i.e., the Cyclical Universe). Perhaps we are just a bubble in a vast, potentially infinite bulk of other universes popping into existence. My personal favorite theory is that we are inside a Black Hole of a parent universe. Or, perhaps this is the only universe and indeed a being so incredibly powerful was able to bring it into existence from nothing.
Thank you for the compliment.

I am certainly not a physicist. With respect to the Cyclical Universe, I don't know how that squares with the Law of Entropy. But if matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, I would assume that it would have to have some initially create the matter for the universe - i.e. God. Once again, I don't know if this falls into the realm of the infinite regress. I get lost here.

BearWithMe said:

As a side note, any favorite podcasts on philosophy? I typically just read on the subject, so curious to hear your recommendations.
One really good philosophical podcast I like is John DeRosa's Classical Theism. He does a great job breaking down different philosophical concepts, by caveat emptor, he does do this from a Classical Christian perseptive.

Another person that I can recommend is Pat Flynn. His podcast/YouTube channel is called Philosophy for the People. Please note that there are two Pat Flynn's in the podcast work. He is not the one making $150K + per month.

Full disclosure, I haven't listed to his podcast. I've heard him interviewed dozens of times. I've got 16+ consistent (daily/weekly) podcasts in queue. I just have the time to add another several that I want to.
historian
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

It might depend on where and how you sought Him. No one should expect a Hollywood style experience with a thundering voice and pyrotechnics. All too often God responds to people with a whisper. See I Kings 19:11-12. The key to finding God is a humble willingness to believe.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
LIB,MR BEARS
BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearWithMe said:

historian said:

I don't think it is particularly fruitful to discuss how hard I have looked for God, as this is at the end of the day subjective and impossible to prove (especially on the internet). However, I do take this topic incredibly seriously and constantly seek to learn more.

I apologize if my comments have come off rude, but again, I have no ill-intent in my words. I have minor autism, so sometimes it is difficult for me to phrase things without coming off as blunt.
no need to apologize. I posted that prior to reading your earlier statement
Oldbear83
BearWithMe, I think you have nothing to apologize for here. Your posts have been respectful and very much on point, and as such a credit to this discussion.

For what it's worth, my search for God has taken many turns along the way. Having had direct contact with God, it is not so much deciding if God exists, as it has been finding my purpose and role, but early on I had the same doubts as many here.

If you find God looking like just another person, you have not found God. But by definition that means seeking God in terms beyond human comprehension. Expecting someone who has not experienced God to recognize His presence is more absurd than it would be to expect a 3 year old to master Vector Calculus.

God is found in wonder, trust and awe.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BusyTarpDuster2017
BearWithMe said:

Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

• Composition Fallacy

• anything that begins to exist, must have a cause. The universe began to exist, i.e. it had a beginning. God did not since he is timeless and eternal.
  • composition fallacy doesn't really apply, because whether you're talking about things within the universe, or the universe itself, BOTH are subject to the same logical truth: they both began to exist and therefore both must have a cause, and something can not come from nothing.
  • Infinite regress only applies to finite entities with a temporal beginning. The problem of infinite regress is solved by an infinite, timeless, and eternal being.
BearWithMe
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BearWithMe said:

Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

• Composition Fallacy

• anything that begins to exist, must have a cause. The universe began to exist, i.e. it had a beginning. God did not since he is timeless and eternal.

Hey BusyTarpDuster, thank you for your response! I'd like to hone in on this point, as it is relevant to the others you made. This question may at first seem illogical to you, but I ask you to genuinely consider it, how do we know that the universe began to exist?

As one of my favorite physicists Sean Carroll said, the phrase Big Bang is a "placeholder for our lack of understanding". We simply don't know what happened pre-Big Bang. Perhaps the universe itself is eternal & infinite in nature. Or, like you said, it very well could have had a cause (or multiple) leading to the singularity event.

For me personally, I feel like the most correct answer to the question is "we don't know".
BearWithMe
Oldbear83 said:

BearWithMe, I think you have nothing to apologize for here. Your posts have been respectful and very much on point, and as such a credit to this discussion.

For what it's worth, my search for God has taken many turns along the way. Having had direct contact with God, it is not so much deciding if God exists, as it has been finding my purpose and role, but early on I had the same doubts as many here.

If you find God looking like just another person, you have not found God. But by definition that means seeking God in terms beyond human comprehension. Expecting someone who has not experienced God to recognize His presence is more absurd than it would be to expect a 3 year old to master Vector Calculus.

God is found in wonder, trust and awe.
Thank you for the kind words! I've already really enjoyed discussing the topic with those here
Coke Bear
BearWithMe said:

As one of my favorite physicists Sean Carroll said, the phrase Big Bang is a "placeholder for our lack of understanding". We simply don't know what happened pre-Big Bang. Perhaps the universe itself is eternal & infinite in nature. Or, like you said, it very well could have had a cause (or multiple) leading to the singularity event.

For me personally, I feel like the most correct answer to the question is "we don't know".
I've read some physicists believe that the universe is expanding too fast for gravity to overcome itself and therefore it could never retract. I guess will have to wait and see if that's true. lol.

You seem to be someone that enjoys science/physics. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Fine-Tuning argument.
BearWithMe
Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

I've read some physicists believe that the universe is expanding too fast for gravity to overcome itself and therefore it could never retract. I guess will have to wait and see if that's true. lol.

You seem to be someone that enjoys science/physics. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Fine-Tuning argument.
Agreed, it does seem like our current understanding of the cosmos is leading us that direction (it will not retract). There are a lot of studies being done now to try to better understand Dark Matter/Energy which is key to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

Physics is probably where I am most comfortable academically, although my field of study was more focused specifically on Electromagnetism. Regarding the Fine-Tuning argument, I think it's actually a better argument than most Atheists give it credit for - it has even impressed the legendary Christopher Hitchens.

Here is what I think the Fine-Tuning argument does well:
  • Illustrates Improbability: The Fine-Tuning Argument effectively communicates the sheer improbability of our universe's constants being what they are by mere chance. It is indeed true that slight alterations in many constants would lead to a universe inhospitable to life as we know it.
  • Emphasizes Specificity: The conditions for life, especially intelligent life, appear to be narrow. The precision of these constants emphasizes that there's a very small margin of error for a life-permitting universe.
  • Appeals to Intuition: The idea that such precision and order might require an intentional designer is intuitively appealing to many people.

However, here are some of the reasons why it does not move me:
  • Sample Size: If we were to treat the universe and its properties as a statistical sample, the issue becomes that we only have a sample size of one, i.e., our own universe. Making grand inferences from a single data point can be problematic.
  • Anthropic Principle: We can only observe the universe's constants being life-permitting because we exist. In other words, if they weren't such, we wouldn't be here to notice. This perspective suggests that our observation isn't necessarily surprising or evidence of design.
  • Changing Constants: Some physicists have suggested that the constants of the universe may not be as constant as we think. If true, this could shift the parameters of the argument.

Out of all the counter-arguments, the sample size is probably my biggest issue with coming to any conclusions based on the parameters.
Coke Bear
BearWithMe said:

However, here are some of the reasons why it does not move me:
Great points. You certainly have me beat this this area scientifically. Here are some of my thoughts ...
    BearWithMe said:

• Sample Size: If we were to treat the universe and its properties as a statistical sample, the issue becomes that we only have a sample size of one, i.e., our own universe. Making grand inferences from a single data point can be problematic.

• I agree with you here; however, when I look at the sheer magnitude of the universe, that one sample appears huge to me. It spans many constants, not 5 or 6 or 10 across the end-to-end 156 billion light-year universe.
    BearWithMe said:

• Anthropic Principle: We can only observe the universe's constants being life-permitting because we exist. In other words, if they weren't such, we wouldn't be here to notice. This perspective suggests that our observation isn't necessarily surprising or evidence of design.

• This is the one that I feel that I somewhat because how do we know that a silicone-based life form would not have came about?
    BearWithMe said:

Changing Constants: Some physicists have suggested that the constants of the universe may not be as constant as we think. If true, this could shift the parameters of the argument.

I would have to know which Constants they are referring to as potentially not constant. If they said something like gravitational constant, speed of light, or electrical constant, then OK - you got something there. I give more weight to those - pardon the pun. If those constants were of lesser importance, then I would need to know if those constants had a degree of flexibility that still allowed for the conditions of life to exist.

You've most certainly done your homework on both science and philosophical side.

Have you looked at the Moral argument? If so, why does it fail in your opinion?

BusyTarpDuster2017
BearWithMe said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BearWithMe said:

Coke Bear said:

BearWithMe said:

• Composition Fallacy

Hey BusyTarpDuster, thank you for your response! I'd like to hone in on this point, as it is relevant to the others you made. This question may at first seem illogical to you, but I ask you to genuinely consider it, how do we know that the universe began to exist?

Hello again BearWithMe. Your question is not illogical at all. In answering your previous comment, I wanted to refine the contingency/cosmological argument you were referring to using William Lane Craig's Kalam cosmological argument, because I believe it is much better suited to answer your first objection regarding self-contradiction. The time component (temporal beginning) in the Kalam argument qualitatively distinguishes God from the universe thus enabling a resolution of the contradiction.

But you are correct in pointing out that the truth of the premise that the universe had a beginning is debatable because we can't be completely certain. However, I disagree with your statement that "the most correct answer to the question is 'I don't know.'" Current scientific empirical data, mathematics, and thermodynamics support only those theories and models of the universe which point to a cosmic beginning. Models which propose a universe without a beginning are very abstract and have no empirical support. Also, they've been proven to be impossible according to the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem. Your favorite physicist, Sean Carroll, proposes that our universe arose from pure empty space, where quantum fluctuations were able to initiate the Big Bang which originated the space-time of our universe as we know it. But in this sense, there was still a "beginning" to our universe. The idea of the universe being "eternal" or having no "beginning" here is merely saying that there existed something that did not resemble our universe, but preceded our universe and subsequently gave rise to our universe, NOT that our universe didn't actually have a "beginning". (Interestingly, here you now have a problem of infinite regress, which was one of your objections to the contingency argument.) So I think the most correct answer to the question of whether the universe began to exist, is not "I don't know" but rather "we aren't fully certain, but current knowledge and evidence point to it being so."
BearWithMe
Coke Bear said:

Have you looked at the Moral argument? If so, why does it fail in your opinion?
I really appreciate your insightful responses. It's been some time since I've reviewed this argument, so I had to refresh myself on the premises that the argument postulates:
  • P1: If God does not exist, then objective moral values do not exist;
  • P2: Objective Moral values do exist;
  • P3: Therefore, God exists

If there are different premises that you are referring to, please let me know, but otherwise I will use these premises for my response.

Where I do find the Fine Tuning argument to hold some weight in the debate arena, the Moral Argument appears more tenuous to me due to certain logical gaps. While I think premise one could be pulled apart (naturalistic/evolutionary moral realism), for the sake of brevity, premise two is where I have the most issues.

For the purpose of our discussion, I'll define "objective" as a fact or claim that remains consistently true, regardless of individual perceptions or experiences. For instance, the equation 2+2=4 is universally valid, whether or not a human acknowledges it. Conversely, the claim that "chocolate tastes superior to vanilla" is undeniably subjective.

Are morals objective, independent of individual perceptions? I would argue that no, they are not. Taking the oft-cited moral edict "murder is wrong" as an example: its roots don't solely lie in intrinsic human understanding but are also shaped by societal norms and legal structures. This moral belief, while deeply ingrained, owes its stature to societal consensus and legal reinforcement. We are socialized into embracing these norms, which further cements our collective morality.

Now, as a rebuttal to myself lol, if objective morals do indeed exists, how do we determine what are the correct, objective morals? Is there some form of consistent, testable framework to determine objective morals? For example, I would be hesitant to use the Bible as a source of moral objectivity, as it contains immoral actions and commandments directly from the source: God. Now, this is my subjective opinion of course, and I doubt anyone here is using the OT as a moral framework, but I do find the point relevant regardless.
BearWithMe
Quote:

Hello again BearWithMe. Your question is not illogical at all. In answering your previous comment, I wanted to refine the contingency/cosmological argument you were referring to using William Lane Craig's Kalam cosmological argument, because I believe it is much better suited to answer your first objection regarding self-contradiction. The time component (temporal beginning) in the Kalam argument qualitatively distinguishes God from the universe thus enabling a resolution of the contradiction.
Thank you for your perceptive reply! While I appreciate the Kalam Cosmological Argument's structure, its primary premise - that everything that begins to exist has a cause - isn't self-evident. However, even if we accept that the universe had a beginning, it doesn't necessitate a supernatural cause or a deity. A natural process, yet to be fully understood, could account for the universe's existence.

Quote:

But you are correct in pointing out that the truth of the premise that the universe had a beginning is debatable because we can't be completely certain. However, I disagree with your statement that "the most correct answer to the question is 'I don't know.'" Current scientific empirical data, mathematics, and thermodynamics support only those theories and models of the universe which point to a cosmic beginning. Models which propose a universe without a beginning are very abstract and have no empirical support. Also, they've been proven to be impossible according to the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem. Your favorite physicist, Sean Carroll, proposes that our universe arose from pure empty space, where quantum fluctuations were able to initiate the Big Bang which originated the space-time of our universe as we know it. But in this sense, there was still a "beginning" to our universe. The idea of the universe being "eternal" or having no "beginning" here is merely saying that there existed something that did not resemble our universe, but preceded our universe and subsequently gave rise to our universe, NOT that our universe didn't actually have a "beginning". (Interestingly, here you now have a problem of infinite regress, which was one of your objections to the contingency argument.) So I think the most correct answer to the question of whether the universe began to exist, is not "I don't know" but rather "we aren't fully certain, but current knowledge and evidence point to it being so."
While the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem does suggest a boundary to inflationary models, it doesn't necessarily dictate the nature of that boundary or equate it to the universe's 'beginning.' Sean Carroll's propositions also support the idea of our universe's evolution from a different state, rather than a traditional 'beginning'. While infinite regress can be a philosophical quagmire, our universe's nature might not conform to human intuitions or constructs.

I do fully agree with you though, the most likely answer to the question, with our current scientific understanding, is the universe began to exist at some point. Essentially, I was just laying out the idea that this is not a conclusive scientific theory yet, as some may intuitively believe, but you clearly know your material haha.

Something that I have been following for some time now is the hopeful mapping of the Cosmic neutrino background (CNB). While I'm sure you are familiar with this, for others here not, the CNB can take us all the way back to the state of the Universe potentially less than a second after the Big Bang (where as the Cosmic Microwave Background only goes back to about ~380,000 years). This would really help answer some of the questions and topics discussed here.
BusyTarpDuster2017
BearWithMe said:

Quote:

Thank you for your perceptive reply! While I appreciate the Kalam Cosmological Argument's structure, its primary premise - that everything that begins to exist has a cause - isn't self-evident. However, even if we accept that the universe had a beginning, it doesn't necessitate a supernatural cause or a deity. A natural process, yet to be fully understood, could account for the universe's existence.
I don't see why it's not self-evident. Can you explain? Can something come from truly nothing?

And the Kalam Cosmological Argument does not purpose to contend a deity, only a cause. The implications are that this cause must by necessity be supernatural, i.e. outside space, time, and energy of our natural universe. In addition, an argument can be made that such a cause must also be immensely powerful, and even personal, and if personal, immensely knowledgeable. In other words, "God".
BusyTarpDuster2017
BearWithMe said:

Quote:

Quote:

While the Borde-Guth-Vilenkin theorem does suggest a boundary to inflationary models, it doesn't necessarily dictate the nature of that boundary or equate it to the universe's 'beginning.' Sean Carroll's propositions also support the idea of our universe's evolution from a different state, rather than a traditional 'beginning'. While infinite regress can be a philosophical quagmire, our universe's nature might not conform to human intuitions or constructs.
Yes, it is very, very problematic to base any arguments of reality on the concept of infinity. So obviously, there are philosophical arguments against an eternally existing universe. William Lane Craig has laid these out best. I can only outline it here. The principle is that an infinite number of actual "things" can not exist in reality, but only conceptually, i.e. as an idea in the mind. If the universe is eternal and had no beginning, then it means there exists an actual infinite number of past events - which can not exist in reality, therefore it does not exist.

The concept is based on the difference between an actual infinite number of things, and a potential infinite number of things. While the potential for infinity can exist in reality, the actuality of it can not. For example, if time begins at point x and never stops after that, then there exists the potential for an infinite number of time units, e.g. seconds, minutes, days. However, an actual infinite number of time units can never be realized. It can only be approached, but never fully reached. If you look at it as a number "set", which includes all the time units, then the set is never complete. But this kind of infinity can exist in reality because it is only conceptual, i.e. it is a potential infinite number of things. However, if the number of past events is infinite, it means the set IS complete, because the number of past events ends at the current time. Thus, this set would contain an actual infinite number of things, which is absurd and can not exist in reality. William Lane Craig further explains the logical absurdity of an actual infinite number of things, but to prevent a long essay, I won't get into it here. The overall conclusion is that since there can not exist in reality an actual infinite number of things, the universe must have had a beginning.

Your last sentence, "While infinite regress can be a philosophical quagmire, our universe's nature might not conform to human intuitions or constructs" is what's really interesting. It highlights the conceptual problem of dealing with this kind of debate/discussion. What is it meant by "beginning" or "begin to exist"? It can be argued that if the universe at one point "existed" in a form that is outside of our human constructs of understanding, then it means that form was of a completely different nature and therefore can not be considered to be the same as our universe. Rather, something "caused" the non-understandable form to become the understandable form. In this sense, there is a "beginning" to the universe and the Kalam Cosmological argument readily applies. To illustrate with another example, a person begins to exist at conception (let's say). You wouldn't argue that no, rather that person "began to exist" in the form of his father's sperm and his mother's egg, or even go farther and say that the person began to exist when atoms and molecules first started to form, and that the person is just an arrangement of that matter. Clearly, that person was NOT the sperm, egg, or the atoms and molecules that first formed in our universe.

The other interesting thing about your last sentence is how it sort of appeals to a suspension of belief. If it is plausible that something can exist that is outside of our understanding, rationality, and one's own intuition (which can be biased, correct?) then one can invoke this same appeal to a belief in an intelligent supreme Being. It is quite ironic how some atheists (not necesssarily you) malign the belief in God for this very same kind of suspension of reason, rationality, and intuition when they have to do the exact same thing to believe in an eternal, beginningless universe to negate the possibility of a God.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.