Why Are We in Ukraine?

318,982 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by whiterock
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Every single thing you are arguing about Ukraine is also true of Russia, who has lost somewhere in the range of 6x the numbers of troops Ukraine has lost.

Nobody believes this, not even Zelensky.
Russia has been on the offensive for approx 80% of the timeframe. So it's hardly unreasonable to expect them to have higher casualty rates. Ukraine has been on the defensive the last 6 months, during which time Russia has been engaging in human wave assaults which is driving up their loss rate.
You don't understand the concept of flexible defense.
Redbrickbear
whiterock
Realitybites said:

whiterock said:

You do understand I used to chase Soviets around for a living, don't you?

There are more Soviets in DC in 2024 than in the Kremlin. For that matter, there are more Soviets in Austin in 2024 than in the Kremlin. The world has changed a lot in the 41 years since Korean 007. Its unfortunate that you didn't change with it.
that's not the context and you know it..... We were talking about the USSR era, not today.

One thing that hasn't changed is the Russians themselves, who as a rule are incredibly arrogant, self-entitled bullies. And corrupt to boot.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Every single thing you are arguing about Ukraine is also true of Russia, who has lost somewhere in the range of 6x the numbers of troops Ukraine has lost.

Nobody believes this, not even Zelensky.
Russia has been on the offensive for approx 80% of the timeframe. So it's hardly unreasonable to expect them to have higher casualty rates. Ukraine has been on the defensive the last 6 months, during which time Russia has been engaging in human wave assaults which is driving up their loss rate.
You don't understand the concept of flexible defense.
LOL could not be more ironic in view of your assessments of this war.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

LOL they were a defeated foe. THEY LOST THE COLD WAR. And not by negotiated surrender. Not by folding their tents and marching home. They collapsed on the field of battle in the middle of the contest.

I was there when it happened.....
You and countless other like-minded nitwits, which is why Gorbachev was taking such a big risk. You overlook the importance of the reforms that happened on his initiative. Of course he didn't anticipate that the USSR would break apart - nor did we, for that matter. But if your view were correct, the Cold War would not have ended how and when it did.
Now you're changing the subject. You do understand I used to chase Soviets around for a living, don't you?

You haven't lived until you stood face to face with a Soviet and had them give earnest explanation for why shooting down KAL 007 was justified. In some ways, it reminds me of your schtick here.
I'm talking about the breakup of the Soviet Union and the independence of Ukraine. If anyone's changing the subject, it's you with this KAL 007 stuff.
I was serving abroad, chasing Soviets, when the USSR broke up. Held in my hands the cable from HQS saying "we won" (in a lot more words than that).

You are just like those Soviets defending the shootdown of KAL007, or some other Soviet nonsense......defending positions disconnected from reality. n
whiterock
Bear8084 said:

Realitybites said:

whiterock said:

You do understand I used to chase Soviets around for a living, don't you?

There are more Soviets in DC in 2024 than in the Kremlin. For that matter, there are more Soviets in Austin in 2024 than in the Kremlin. The world has changed a lot in the 41 years since Korean 007. Its unfortunate that you didn't change with it.

Things have changed, sure. Now they just deny shooting down civilian airliners.
Did I say KAL 007, or Malasian Air 17?

Which was it?

oh. it was both.....

At least with KAL 007, the plane was over Russian territory rather than the territory of some other sovereign nation.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

America has no Ukraine Plan B except more war

https://asiatimes.com/2024/03/america-has-no-ukraine-plan-b-except-more-war/

Good read, shows where Whiterock's flawed numbers come from. Ukraine is collapsing and barring a foolish move by NATO to ignite WW3 by overtly deploying combat forces to Ukraine the choice is to give the Russians the eastern half, or lose the whole thing.

If sanity prevails President Trump will have negotiators at the table in 2025 hammering out the details of that first option and this latest neocon project will be added to the list of foreign policy misadventures that include Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam.
It's just Sam Lowery-lite, and actually undermines your assertion that Ukraine is out of manpower.

All you have to do to blow his argument out of the water is point to the combined GDP of Russia vs NATO. It's the difference between a pickup truck and a freight train.
Freight trains aren't built for war. Neither is the NATO economy. That's all I needed to say a year ago, and it's only proven truer in the weeks and months since.
LOL you blundered into that one. Freight trains are central to the Russian war machine.....their logistical chain relies upon them to a degree no other military does. Russia has an entire military command devoted to railway operations (+/- 30k troops).

No peacetime economy is built for war. They have to mobilize. And the size of your economy limits how much one can mobilize. The Russian economy is 10% the size of the Nato economy. They have no hope of winning a war against Nato.
https://www.worldeconomics.com/Thoughts/NATOs-Combined-GDP-is-far-larger-than-Russias.aspx

Russia also faces a daunting mismatch in population, 6-to-1:
https://countryeconomy.com/countries/groups/nato

Russia is already at the point where additional mobilizations will affect economic output.....

You missed the point. We never mobilized for Ukraine, and now it's far too late.
Nato doesn't need to fully mobilize to win the war in Ukraine. It has a 10-1 advantage. Just letting Ukraine have the stuff we were planning to destroy anyway has brought Russia to a standstill.

We have, btw, stepped up our acquisition of arms/ammo. Nowhere near a full mobilization. I'd like to do more but, you know, there are a quite a number of noisy numbskulls standing in the way.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Good read, shows where Whiterock's flawed numbers come from. Ukraine is collapsing and barring a foolish move by NATO to ignite WW3 by overtly deploying combat forces to Ukraine the choice is to give the Russians the eastern half, or lose the whole thing.

If sanity prevails President Trump will have negotiators at the table in 2025 hammering out the details of that first option and this latest neocon project will be added to the list of foreign policy misadventures that include Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam.
It's just Sam Lowery-lite, and actually undermines your assertion that Ukraine is out of manpower.

All you have to do to blow his argument out of the water is point to the combined GDP of Russia vs NATO. It's the difference between a pickup truck and a freight train.
Freight trains aren't built for war. Neither is the NATO economy. That's all I needed to say a year ago, and it's only proven truer in the weeks and months since.
LOL you blundered into that one. Freight trains are central to the Russian war machine.....their logistical chain relies upon them to a degree no other military does. Russia has an entire military command devoted to railway operations (+/- 30k troops).

No peacetime economy is built for war. They have to mobilize. And the size of your economy limits how much one can mobilize. The Russian economy is 10% the size of the Nato economy. They have no hope of winning a war against Nato.
https://www.worldeconomics.com/Thoughts/NATOs-Combined-GDP-is-far-larger-than-Russias.aspx

Russia is already at the point where additional mobilizations will affect economic output.....

You missed the point. We never mobilized for Ukraine, and now it's far too late.
Nato doesn't need to fully mobilize to win the war in Ukraine. It has a 10-1 advantage. Just letting Ukraine have the stuff we were planning to destroy anyway has brought Russia to a standstill.
Not even close.
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Nato doesn't need to fully mobilize to win the war in Ukraine. It has a 10-1 advantage.
But I thought the Russians were this big bad super duper threat to NATO?

Surely won't it take everything we have to hold back the endless hoards of battle trained russkie conscripts read to drive their invincible armies all the way to Paris?
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Nato doesn't need to fully mobilize to win the war in Ukraine. It has a 10-1 advantage.
But I thought the Russians were this big bad super duper threat to NATO?

Surely won't it take everything we have to hold back the endless hoards of battle trained russkie conscripts read to drive their invincible armies all the way to Paris?
You should not wait to have multiple cavities before you get treatment
whiterock
For future reference….
Doc Holliday

J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

that is the right thing to do!
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

Ukraine joins NATO, there is no attack.
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Put them into NATO this year and then send troops over to start WW3?

Redbrickbear
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

This was the goal going all the way back to the Maidan coup back in 2014

Of course after Ukraine they will want to bring Belarus into NATO as well to compete the encirclement of Russia.

I suppose you will be supporting that as well….
Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Of course after Ukraine they will want to bring Belarus into NATO as well to compete the encirclement of Russia.

More Russian conspiracy theories.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

More like a rational extrapolation by looking at past actions.

Are you willing to go on record as claiming DC will never do that?

Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

More like a rational extrapolation by looking a past actions.

Sure, because you continue to fail to grasp why countries want to join NATO in the first place. And then buy into pro-RU propaganda of "deep state" and "evil" DC.
Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Imagine that, countries that have lived through Russian aggression want to join an alliance that protects them of said aggression.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

And then buy into pro-RU propaganda of "deep state" and evil DC.

I can assure you we have had a deep State in the USA long before the Russian Federation even existed.

Now we can debate its actions…and it's it evil, good, or neutral.

But please don't play dumb…you are smart enough to understand the concept of the "permanent state".
Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

I can assure you we have had a deep State in the USA long before the Russian Federation even existed.

But please don't play dumb…you are smart enough to understand the concept of the "permanent state".

And you're smart enough to take the tinfoil hat off every now and then.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

If you would educate yourself by just a simple search you would find that the idea of a USA deep state is not even particularly controversial anymore…

Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Imagine that, countries that have lived through Russian aggression want to join an alliance that protects them of said aggression.

You still seem to be under the impression that the communist Soviet Union and the modern Russian state are the same entity.

Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

You still seem to be under the impression that the communist Soviet Union and the modern Russian state are the same entity.

Uh huh. As they launch the largest aggressive land grab since WWII.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Put them into NATO this year and then send troops over to start WW3?

No WW3, pal. It is the West against Putin. As my hero (The Dude (Lebowski)said, "This aggression will not stand, man"
Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

If you would educate yourself by just a simple search you would find that the idea of a USA deep state is not even particularly controversial anymore…

Yes, opinion pieces about bureaucracy are scary.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

You don't even read much about the rest of world do you?

Tibet is 3 times larger than Ukraine and was completely absorbed by China AFTER World War II

[The Chinese government demanded that representatives of Tibet arrive in Beijing by September 16, 1950, but Tibetan officials ignored the demand. PRC government troops entered the Tibetan land on October 7, 1950, and Chinese troops captured the town of Qamdo (Chamdo) on October 19, 1950.]

Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Tibet is 3 times larger than Ukraine and was completely absorbed by China AFTER World War II

[The Chinese government demanded that representatives of Tibet arrive in Beijing by September 16, 1950, but Tibetan officials ignored the demand. PRC government troops entered the Tibetan on October 7, 1950, and Chinese troops captured the town of Qamdo (Chamdo) on October 19, 1950.]

*yawn*

*European

And I wouldn't talk about not reading about the world much when you continue to share and boost quite a bit of RU misinformation.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yes, opinion pieces about bureaucracy are scary.

Not even "scary"…they just prove the point that the idea of a permanent state is not even controversial anymore.

Unless it's someone like you who still thinks it's a "conspiracy theory" because for some reason you don't like to deal with the implications
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

[The Chinese government demanded that representatives of Tibet arrive in Beijing by September 16, 1950, but Tibetan officials ignored the demand. PRC government troops entered the Tibetan on October 7, 1950, and Chinese troops captured the town of Qamdo (Chamdo) on October 19, 1950.]

*yawn*

*European

Gotcha

Well at least you admit you were wrong.

When will you be advocating a proxy war, paid for by American taxpayers, to liberate Tibet from Chinese aggression?
Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

*yawn*

*European

Gotcha

When will you be advocating a proxy war, paid for by American taxpayers, to liberate Tibet from Chinese aggression?

"BUH WHADDABOUT?!?!?!?" Like I said, you continue to boost some quite a bit disinformation.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

*yawn*

*European

Gotcha

"BUH WHADDABOUT?!?!?!?" Like I said, you continue to boost some quite a bit disinformation.

It's just a simple question.

Why does the Ukraine situation send you into hysteria but you don't care about the aggression against Tibet?

Bear8084
Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Redbrickbear said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

*yawn*

*European

Gotcha

It's just a simple question.

Why does the Ukraine situation send you into hysteria but you don't care about the aggression against Tibet?

No hysterics. Maybe you can scan over some non-pro RU Tweets and find out why since you are quite ignorant about it.
First Page Last Page
Page 87 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.