Does your church have Christian nationalism inclinations?

14,496 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by historian
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

What the OP calls Christian nationalism sounds more like dominionism or theonomy. It's a real thing.

Give me a break. You're arguing on behalf of a fake made up threat. Name these CN-like organizations that are part of mainstream Christianity and are an actual threat to our democratic Republic. CN is a dog whistle, and for some reason you feel the need to defend the crazy by changing the terms of the fake made up threat.
Sam Lowry
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

What the OP calls Christian nationalism sounds more like dominionism or theonomy. It's a real thing.

Give me a break. You're arguing on behalf of a fake made up threat. Name these CN-like organizations that are part of mainstream Christianity and are an actual threat to our democratic Republic. CN is a dog whistle, and for some reason you feel the need to defend the crazy by changing the terms of the fake made up threat.

The terminology doesn't matter. Conservatives are often wrongly accused of being theocratic. Dominionists and their ilk are actually theocratic. Big difference there.
BUDOS
Tinfoil is doing a good job at creating and spreading misinformation. Too many of on this forum probably prefer to believe him; spreading his "misinformation " is dangerous. I don't think it's intentional; hopefully he just has not done his homework.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Yep, I'm the one playing make believe. You got me.
But sure you can't name one single mainstream Christian organization that is teaching what you're stating.

You're a troll and a clown, but I do find you amusing, you're like having W47's younger sister around. Glad you didn't run off like you said you were going to.

Since you've been shredded here, proven to be a media drone with no substance behind your arguments, maybe the next thread you start can be about dominionism. You and Sam can hold hands and rant about the immediate, existential threat that it is sure to be.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Never heard of these. Quick google search of dominionisim equivocates it to Catholic integralism, which I have heard of before. Of course, the article I read failed to identify any current politicians or public figures who subscribe to the theory.

So even if it's a real thing, it doesn't sound like a real problem.
Forest Bueller_bf
parch said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

parch said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Christian nationalism seeks to establish an exclusivist version of Christianity as the dominant moral and cultural order.[2] Christian nationalism overlaps with but is distinct from theonomy, with it being more populist in character.[3]: xxi In countries with a state church, Christian nationalists seek to preserve the status of a Christian state by holding an antidisestablishmentarian position to perpetuate the Church in national politics Wikipedia
Theonomy (from Greek theos "God" and nomos "law") is a hypothetical Christian form of government in which society is ruled by divine law.[1] Theonomists hold that divine law, particularly the judicial laws of the Old Testament, should be observed by modern societies

No not at all. They are really counter culture to that particular movement. The Pastor was a regent and I believe visiting Professor at Truitt and one point. Unfortunately my wife's upbringing as an Independent Fundamental Baptist is starting to take over and she is wanting to leave the church. It is more "liberal" than a Southern Baptist church, it's a Texas Baptist church. They aren't liberal at all just more inclusive than most SBC churches. Zero christian nationalism.
Do you live in Arlington?
Yes indeed.
Assuming you're talking about FBCA, my wife and I went there for a season before we moved, and despite all the blowback he gets around here for his "cry out to God" comment I thought Wiles was a good leader for that church and tended to steer them away from the poles and toward the center road. And I'm not even Baptist.

That said, they are still affiliated to the SBC through the Texas Baptist Church, although only a fraction of the tithing goes to SBC through some mission work. I think they're rethinking all that though. Anyone who saw Katie Reed-Hodges at work knows that women in ministry can do incredible things and I always appreciated his stance.
Yep. I think she is great at what she does, and yea I admit I was kinda reluctant to try FBCA because all the comments on here about the pastor, but he is a solid pastor in my opinion. He is a different guy and likes to make a point about him not being a hunter, fisher, handyman, outdoorsman type, he kinda has a little schtick going about that subject, and makes no bones about his love for everything Auburn.

I know he skipped the SBC this year and takes a real stand about women having a place in Ministry. I have zero issue with Katie teaching once or twice a year from the pulpit. She seems biblically very solid, though I don't hear her very often.

But, anybody who knows the SBC and especially Fundamental Baptist, they really put the X on a woman having a ministry role.

Man I thought I had found a church home, but my wife and I went for a full year and then she just said that's that and won't budge on the women speaking in a teaching mode at church issue.

Yea, I know the verses she points too, but I also know Junia was an apostle among the 70 and was imprisoned, and Pheobe was a deacon or servant in her church, I'm pretty sure she would have read the letter to the Romans. The bible is clear men and women will prophesy in the final days, and Apollos was corrected by a woman who knew the scriptures better than he did, but that simply doesn't matter to her.

Probably going to have to move at some point.
Mothra
BUDOS said:

Tinfoil is doing a good job at creating and spreading misinformation. Too many of on this forum probably prefer to believe him; spreading his "misinformation " is dangerous. I don't think it's intentional; hopefully he just has not done his homework.
The irony of this statement is your complete inability to nail down what CN is, provide any evidentiary support for your idea that CN is a actual problem, and provide any proof that current politicians subscribe to the version of CN you've perpetuated. I mean, speaking of misinformation, one would think you would be able to provide at least a scintilla of evidentiary support for this bogeyman. Instead, you want to pretend that it is an actual problem, when your own statements regarding CN are all over the place, and you've been unable to provide any support for your position.

I equate CN to your ilk's decrying white supremacy. It's a dog whistle for liberals, and nothing more.
BUDOS
Figures. You guys probably rarely did real research so you expect others to do it for you. Try the internet.
Put in something like the pros and cons of CN. As you select a few, be sure to click on at least a couple of the Christian sites and blogs. When trolls like y'all are more interested in expressing your ugliness and cover your lack of real understanding of both sides of an issue with your vitriol, you certainly are not persuading anyone you are right.
Hiding behind posting and expressing your hatred of those with opposing views, but no matter, you're not even trying to learn it's history, goals and how much of its success is based on getting people like you to be part of the movement without realizing the end game.
Mothra
BUDOS said:

Figures. You guys probably rarely did real research so you expect others to do it for you. Try the internet.
Put in something like the pros and cons of CN. As you select a few, be sure to click on at least a couple of the Christian sites and blogs. When trolls like y'all are more interested in expressing your ugliness and cover your lack of real understanding of both sides of an issue with your vitriol, you certainly are not persuading anyone you are right.
Hiding behind posting and expressing your hatred of those with opposing views, but no matter, you're not even trying to learn it's history, goals and how much of its success is based on getting people like you to be part of the movement without realizing the end game.
So, you make a number of generalizations you are unable to support with any evidence, and I am supposed to do the research you should have done to disprove you? Hmm, I think you just might have the burdens of proof confused. You see, when someone makes an absurd generalization, and then repeats it ad nauesum, without evidentiary support, the way it typically works is that person has the burden to prove that what he is saying is not complete and total bull *****

The only troll is you. You've gaslit the entire thread with unsupported bull ****, and are mad when someone has called you out on it. Instead of getting your panties in a wad, I'd suggest doing a better job making cogent arguments, supported by evidence.

As it stands, you really suck at it.
Waco1947

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

The Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, in his concurring opinion that has outlawed the destruction of frozen embryos, equating frozen embryos used in infertility treatments with murdering people which keeps referencing God, is an example of Christian nationalism.

This ia Christian nationalism par excellence. The concurring opinion by Justice Tom Parker uses as its evidence to arrive at his legal opinion - it uses the Bible. It uses Christian manifestos. It uses work by the medieval theologian Thomas Aquinas, by the reformer John Calvin. These are the pieces of data that he uses to justify an opinion at the Supreme Court of Alabama. He said on the very same day that that decision came down, on a podcast, that God created government, and the fact that we have let it go into the possession of others is heartbreaking. The very idea that we would have a Supreme Court of any state in this country who would deliver an opinion based on the Bible, is the most clear example of Christian nationalism that I can think of. Brad Onishi

Nope. Try again.

Not Christian Nationalism.

Using God as a basis for morality isn't Christian Nationalism. If you claim it is, then you are also admitting that our nation is in fact already a Christian Nation.

Really seems like all of your opinions are copied off Google, from some liberal echo chamber.

Yep I copied it off the internet but happens to be true.
The "ism" at the end Nationalism means it "a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology. The Alabama SC is using a philosophy straight out the Bible and admits so. Christian Nationalism is a distinctive ideology which churches use.

Morality doesn't equal Christian Nationalism. Didn't say that. Never did. You keep repeating a lie.
You're brain is broken. Please reboot it and start fresh.

CN is made up. You look like a clown. A lemming of the media.
Waco1947 ,la
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Never heard of these. Quick google search of dominionisim equivocates it to Catholic integralism, which I have heard of before. Of course, the article I read failed to identify any current politicians or public figures who subscribe to the theory.

It's a minority but an influential one. The topic is especially relevant in the Trump era, with so much cynicism about democracy in the air.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

It's a minority but an influential one. The topic is especially relevant in the Trump era, with so much cynicism about democracy in the air.
An influential minority in the Republican Party? Hmmm. Who is it influencing? Are there specific politicians being lobbied?
Harrison Bergeron
As usual, the lack of self-awareness and general stupidity of the Left are on full display.

The only group in the United States that actually wants a theocracy are Muslims. Yet, the Democrat Party is totally in-line with Islam's anti-woman, anti-gay tenets. It's impossible to have an intelligent discussion with absolute morons.
Forest Bueller_bf
Interesting to simply pull out a nutty complete outlier like "Kingdom Now" theology and try to assign it to generic christians. It is a thing, but there is no power behind it and is mostly one of those Holy Roller ideologies that will never get traction with a large percentage of people.

There is also a Black Supremacy Theology founded by James H, Cone that the current democratic movement though probably unintentionally has laced into some of their platform. Again, nothing that is ever going to take over.

If we want to fear something all the young people being brainwashed with their "River to the Sea" ideology is something to actually watch closely, as there is actually a "there, there" with that movement.

This is an odd thread to say the least.
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Interesting to simply pull out a nutty complete outlier like "Kingdom Now" theology and try to assign it to generic christians. It is a thing, but there is no power behind it and is mostly one of those Holy Roller ideologies that will never get traction with a large percentage of people.

There is also a Black Supremacy Theology founded by James H, Cone that the current democratic movement though probably unintentionally has laced into some of their platform. Again, nothing that is ever going to take over.

If we want to fear something all the young people being brainwashed with their "River to the Sea" ideology is something to actually watch closely, as there is actually a "there, there" with that movement.

There No such thing as "a Black Supremacy Theology founded by James H, Cone" Do NOT spread this lie.

Rather Cone formulates a theology of liberation from within the context of the black experience of oppression, interpreting the central kernel of the Gospels as Jesus' identification with the poor and oppressed, the resurrection as the ultimate act of liberation.
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
Ghostrider said:

Waco1947 said:

Ghostrider said:

GrowlTowel said:

Honest question - what is wrong with Christian Nationalism?

How does Christian Nationalism negatively affect our economy, culture, nation?
Nothing is wrong with it. Democrats try to use this as a negative. Same as they do when they say you are against women's rights if you do not believe in the murdering of a baby.
Christian Nationalism wants a theocracy not a democracy
I don't know one person that wants this, but if you say it enough, I guess you will believe it.
It is a cautionary warning to all Churches and particularly the evangelicals.
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947

CN is made up. Christians should vote their conscience just like everyone else is doing.
Vote to protect the unborn, vote to protect religious freedom for your children and future generations, vote to protect children from the progressive groomers. Vote to protect your community and neighbors.
The left hates Christianity and wants to silence Christians. Voting red at the federal level is the only option for Christians thinking about their long term freedoms.
FBC Dallas called. They said CN is not made up.
Waco1947 ,la
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

An influential minority in the Republican Party? Hmmm. Who is it influencing? Are there specific politicians being lobbied?
It's not a lobby. It's a theological perspective, developed in the 70s and 80s, which has a non-trivial influence on mainstream pastors and politicians. Whether that's a problem is up for debate.
KaiBear
Waco1947 said:

CN is made up. Christians should vote their conscience just like everyone else is doing.
Vote to protect the unborn, vote to protect religious freedom for your children and future generations, vote to protect children from the progressive groomers. Vote to protect your community and neighbors.
The left hates Christianity and wants to silence Christians. Voting red at the federal level is the only option for Christians thinking about their long term freedoms.
FBC Dallas wouldn't waste their time calling United Methodist.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

It's not a lobby. It's a theological perspective, developed in the 70s and 80s, which has a non-trivial influence on mainstream pastors and politicians. Whether that's a problem is up for debate.

With CN and Sam, it's always the general non-specific accusations of it being "influential" with no significant real world examples to back it up.
When people say the border is a problem, there's actually statistics and people to back it up.
When people say the education is grooming our children, there are many actual examples.
When lefties talk about CN, there's no mainstream or significant group teaching or adopting CN. You all play out your ideas from a make believe world.
TDS does that to a person.
4th and Inches
Waco1947 said:

Ghostrider said:

GrowlTowel said:

Honest question - what is wrong with Christian Nationalism?

How does Christian Nationalism negatively affect our economy, culture, nation?
Nothing is wrong with it. Democrats try to use this as a negative. Same as they do when they say you are against women's rights if you do not believe in the murdering of a baby.
Christian Nationalism wants a theocracy not a democracy

Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Sam Lowry

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

With CN and Sam, it's always the general non-specific accusations of it being "influential" with no significant real world examples to back it up.
When people say the border is a problem, there's actually statistics and people to back it up.
When people say the education is grooming our children, there are many actual examples.
When lefties talk about CN, there's no mainstream or significant group teaching or adopting CN. You all play out your ideas from a make believe world.
The OP's question clearly struck a nerve.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Sam Lowry said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

You have nothing

But yes, what's effectively false accusations lobbied against traditional Christians strikes a nerve, sure, not in the upset sort of way, just like you're not very smart kind of way.

You've brought nothing to the conversation but hysterics. It's shameful really. You all are trying to guilt traditional Christians into not voting their conscience. You should know better.
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

LOL

Has more to do with the stupidity of the OP.

Than the stupidity of the question.

Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

Children called. They said stop grooming. (also learn grammar your child molesting ******)
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Ok, what pastors and politicians? Can you identify the people who belong to this "influential minority"?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

And they would be right - the definition you're using at least.
BUDOS
So, you are once again back to trolling and bullying, adding nothing to the discussion; instead continuing to reveal your shallow grasp of CN. Do your homework Harrison.
Mothra

Sam Lowry said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

You have nothing

But yes, what's effectively false accusations lobbied against traditional Christians strikes a nerve, sure, not in the upset sort of way, just like you're not very smart kind of way.

You've brought nothing to the conversation but hysterics. It's shameful really. You all are trying to guilt traditional Christians into not voting their conscience. You should know better.
Not sure what else one would expect from a nominal Catholic. Look, when your supposed "faith" means so little to you, what else would you expect?

Guy is morally bankrupt.
Mothra
BUDOS said:

So, you are once again back to trolling and bullying, adding nothing to the discussion; instead continuing to reveal your shallow grasp of CN. Do your homework Harrison.
I mean, if this isn't gaslighting, I am not sure what is. Shallow grasp of CN? From the dude who can't even support his points with anything outside of a wikipedia definition? From the guy who claims that CNs want to force Americans to convert to Christianity, but can't offer a single fact in support of his position?

You have a special kind of hubris.
LIB,MR BEARS
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Brilliant, insightful post.

It shines a light where it needs to be shined. Now let's see who shields their eyes from the glare and looks the other way.
LIB,MR BEARS

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

He said it's a "perspective". I guess any perspective that's does not match his own, and especially one that can't be measured in any way shape or form, is a potential threat and must be monitored.

BUDOS
Thanks you.
It's not gaslighting, and you should know.
It is a shallow grasp, and your failure to understand that is further evidence that you are one of too many who spout all this misinformation. You do your worst to verbally rape and demean any one you disagree with despite your lack of the actual pros and cons of CN. Apparently you don't even care enough about the truth to even try. Just throw crap and hope it makes you feel and look good to your audience.
Sam Lowry
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

He said it's a "perspective". I guess any perspective that's does not match his own, and especially one that can't be measured in any way shape or form, is a potential threat and must be monitored.

No one's saying that.

This thread is just one weirdly defensive post after another. Odd indeed.
KaiBear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Forest nails it......as usual.

+ 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.