Senate Dems Trying to Get Kavanaugh under FBI Investigation

22,440 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jack Bauer
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
riflebear said:

You were saying Jinx?

I don't have to defend any news outlets for covering silly or irrelevant things like FB posts by classmates of Blasey or Kavanaugh. I already stated that.

YOU were the one who picked up the now debunked Fox News tactic of turning Mollie Tibbetts' murder into a circus to deflect attention from Manafort's convictions. Remember THAT sorry little episode? And since then, Mueller has got Manafort by the extreme short hairs.

We should see some interesting developments in the coming weeks. I'll look for honest commentary for them from you, right?
riflebear
Jinx 2 said:

riflebear said:

You were saying Jinx?

I don't have to defend any news outlets for covering silly or irrelevant things like FB posts by classmates of Blasey or Kavanaugh. I already stated that.

YOU were the one who picked up the now debunked Fox News tactic of turning Mollie Tibbetts' murder into a circus to deflect attention from Manafort's convictions. Remember THAT sorry little episode? And since then, Mueller has got Manafort by the extreme short hairs.

We should see some interesting developments in the coming weeks. I'll look for honest commentary for them from you, right?
Debunked? An innocent girl being killed by an illegal alien, are you saying this didn't happen? It was a front page story for weeks on every major media site but once they find the actual killer and it's an illegal everyone is just supposed to stop covering it? WOW, the liberal mind strikes again since it was already proven Fox covered Manafort just as much if not more than the other outlets on TV and their website.

Nice try to deflect though. Back to Kavanaugh...

corncob pipe
BREAKING: FBI Will NOT Launch Criminal Probe Into Kavanaugh Allegations

Forest Bueller
Jinx 2 said:

HuMcK said:

It could easily be faked, but this seems like the kind of thing some law enforcement officers should check into and figure out.

Kavanaugh should withdraw his nomination

Wow. That was predictable.

I don't like or dislike Kavanaugh, but man the left is just making up stuff left and right.

She never told anybody............but everybody knew.

It didn't happen during school session..........but we all talked about it at school.

She is just making **** up.
GoneGirl
My understanding is that any FBI investigation of Kavanaugh would not be a criminal investigation. It would just be a more thorough background investigation with the information provided to the Senate Judiciary Committee:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-letter-fbi/index.html

In a letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and obtained by CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360," Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys argue that "a full investigation by law enforcement officials will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."
[url=https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-attorneys-letter-grassley/index.html][/url]
Read: Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys' letter requesting FBI investigation
The letter from Ford's lawyers notes that despite receiving a "stunning amount of support from her community," Ford has also "been the target of vicious harassment and even death threats" and has been forced to leave her home.

"We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you and Ranking Member Feinstein to discuss reasonable steps as to how Dr. Ford can cooperate while also taking care of her own health and security," the letter from Ford's lawyers said.
Edmond Bear
Jinx 2 said:

My understanding is that any FBI investigation of Kavanaugh would not be a criminal investigation. It would just be a more thorough background investigation with the information provided to the Senate Judiciary Committee:

In a letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and obtained by CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360," Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys argue that "a full investigation by law enforcement officials will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."
[url=https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-attorneys-letter-grassley/index.html][/url]
The letter from Ford's lawyers notes that despite receiving a "stunning amount of support from her community," Ford has also "been the target of vicious harassment and even death threats" and has been forced to leave her home.

"We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you and Ranking Member Feinstein to discuss reasonable steps as to how Dr. Ford can cooperate while also taking care of her own health and security," the letter from Ford's lawyers said.

I don't think the article you posted supports your assertion. It's just a request....from an attorney...
GoneGirl
Edmond Bear said:

Jinx 2 said:

I don't think the article you posted supports your assertion. It's just a request....from an attorney...

This one does. Trump will not order the investigation, but the ball is in his court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/can-fbi-investigate-allegation-against-brett-kavanaugh-n911036

In fact, the FBI could certainly investigate Ford's claim, but only if the White House asks the bureau to do so. She has no authority to request it. Neither does the Senate.

When the FBI conducts a background investigation of a presidential nominee, it vacuums up all kinds of information about the nominee, including claims from people interviewed by agents, and dumps it into the file. It does not, however, investigate whether or not derogatory information is true unless it's asked to follow up by the White House. Several current and former Justice Department and FBI officials say this has always been the practice, and there is actually a longstanding formal memorandum of understanding between DOJ and the White House that specifies these limits.

The Senate cannot ask the FBI to investigate Ford's allegations that Kavanaugh assaulted her at a high school party more than 30 years ago, because Kavanaugh is the president's nominee, not the Senate's.

Here's another way to think about it. In doing background investigations, the FBI is acting as an agent of the White House. That's a separate role from its responsibility to investigate crimes. The Senate can always ask the FBI to investigate a potential crime that it becomes aware of, but it can't direct the FBI to investigate the background of a presidential nominee.

And in this case, even assuming Ford's allegation to be true, there's no suggestion of a federal crime, quite apart from the statute of limitations issue. So the FBI has no independent authority to open a criminal investigation. Its only role here would be to re-open the Kavanaugh background investigation.

Additionally, some in the FBI, says a source familiar with their thinking, are annoyed by President Trump's statements that the FBI doesn't do this or this "is not really their thing" when there are FBI agents who do nothing but interview sex crime victims.
riflebear
Video of former Asst Director of FBI says there is now way to prove this on either side. Says investigation could be done in 2-3 days since there are only 3-5 people to interview.

I say do it and call their bluff.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5837229816001/?#sp=show-clips
Sam Lowry
Jinx 2 said:

But because of what the Republicans did re: Merrick Garland and the way they've behaved with this nomination, SCOTUS has less legitimacy. And that's solely on Republicans.
LOL
Osodecentx
Victim not sure when it happened, not sure where it happened, not sure who was there, didn't talk about it for decades, Kavanaugh not named until this week, the person the victim claimed was there doesn't remember it, nobody remembers it who was there at the time, Democrats sat on this for 6 weeks and never brought it up, Dems now demanding an investigation that would go on for weeks. Committee is trying to accommodate Dr. Ford and yet it appears she won't testify.

I have migrated from 'let's see what happens' to this is a 'smear' of Kavanaugh.

Let 'em vote

riflebear
As everyone said, it was never about justice for Mrs. Ford. They don't care about her, they just want to use her story to win voters and stop Kavanaugh (or delay him). They knew this would never work since they sat on it for 2-3 months. As long as they got a week's worth of liberal media coverage to inspire their base and try to make the @gop seem sexist and anti #metoo they win. CNN employee is out there lying saying Grassley is bullying her demanding she comes to testify which is 100% false when he's offered to fly out to their place of choosing.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
57Bear said:

... said:

... Kavanaugh should withdraw his nomination, but he won't. If he's confirmed, he will serve under the embarrassing shadow of the president who nominated him.
It doesn't seem to bother Sotomayor or Kagan.
Great point! And I certainly don't remember the Republicans acting like children and throwing temper tantrums in the 11th hour of the confirmations of Sotomayor and Kagan. And there was little doubt of the political leanings of both.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
ATL Bear
She can't and won't testify in public or private because she'd perjure herself. She knows it as does her attorney, which is the wise choice for her.
contrario
I'm amazed some people that are otherwise reasonable people can honestly think there is any merit to these accusations and even if they are true, they really aren't that bad, especially as it appears it was an isolated incident. From what I gather, two teenagers got drunk, went to a bedroom, he tried to hook up with her, she said no, and he stopped. That's it. Seriously, if this is going to be the new "test" democrats want to put on nominees and politicians, this will not end well for them. Further, if accusations are all it takes, and no proof, I would imagine a lot of "anonymous" accusers will be coming out of the woodwork in the near future. It seems like the democrats are so near sighted they constantly forget the long-term implications and dangerous precedent they are setting.

It's one thing to delay a vote, it's another thing to destroy a man's life over baseless accusations.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

... Kavanaugh should withdraw his nomination, but he won't. If he's confirmed, he will serve under the embarrassing shadow of the president who nominated him.
Great point! And I certainly don't remember the Republicans acting like children and throwing temper tantrums in the 11th hour of the confirmations of Sotomayor and Kagan. And there was little doubt of the political leanings of both.
Sotomayor was confirmed by a vote of 68-31 and Kagan by a vote of 63-37. Neither was subject to the personal attacks that Democrats have used routinely since the Bork nomination. Garland wasn't confirmed, obviously, because Supreme Court nominees typically are not confirmed in a president's last year without a favorable Senate majority.
GoneGirl
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

Sotomayor was confirmed by a vote of 68-31 and Kagan by a vote of 63-37. Neither was subject to the personal attacks that Democrats have used routinely since the Bork nomination. Garland wasn't confirmed, obviously, because Supreme Court nominees typically are not confirmed in a president's last year without a favorable Senate majority.
Garland didn't get a confirmation hearing.

Republicans didn't even meet with him.

McConnell stonewalled him.

You think Kavanaugh's being shabbily treated? That pales compared with the treatment Garland got.
GoneGirl
riflebear said:

Jinx 2 said:

riflebear said:

You were saying Jinx?

Debunked? An innocent girl being killed by an illegal alien, are you saying this didn't happen? It was a front page story for weeks on every major media site but once they find the actual killer and it's an illegal everyone is just supposed to stop covering it? WOW, the liberal mind strikes again since it was already proven Fox covered Manafort just as much if not more than the other outlets on TV and their website.

Nice try to deflect though. Back to Kavanaugh...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/mollie-tibbetts-celia-barquin-murders-reactions.html

Several weeks after Tibbetts' death, Iowa has been shaken by another brutal murder. The victim this time was Celia Barquin Arozamena, a 22-year-old civil-engineering major at Iowa State and an immigrant champion golfer who had recently won the European Ladies' Amateur Championship, representing her native country of Spain. Barquin had also just played in the United States Women's Open. She excelled at Iowa State, where she was named Female Athlete of the Year and known as a "spectacular student-athlete" with a fierce competitive spirit.

A couple of days ago, Barquin, like Mollie Tibbetts had done exactly two months before, set out to exercise. She was playing a round of early-morning golf at Coldwater Golf Links in Ames, Iowa, when a man attacked her somewhere around the ninth hole. Staff discovered her body in a pond, her golf bag lying on the fairway nearby. Barquin had been assaulted and stabbed multiple times in the head, neck, and torso. In the afternoon, local police caught a suspect, Collin Daniel Richards, a 22-year-old homeless man who had been living in an encampment surrounding the golf course. Richards has a long criminal record, including drug abuse and a history of violence against women.

While being as horrendous a crime as the killing of Mollie Tibbetts, Celia Barquin's murder has not elicited the same kind of response from America's conservative media or its politicians. There have been no outraged tweets nor indignant segments trying to criminalize all of the homeless community for Richards' atrocious, individual action. President Trump has not bothered to mention the case, even though Barquin's death has been front-page news in Spain. Of the two senators from Iowa, only Joni Ernst commented on the case. In a tweet, Ernst made no mention of Barquin's murderer, focusing instead on the victim and the impact the crime had on the local community and her alma mater.
Golem
Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

You think Kavanaugh's being shabbily treated? That pales compared with the treatment Garland got.

My dear lord, but you are a fking moron. Garland being left alone entirely is somehow worse than a man suffering prolonged and wholly unsubstantiated character assassination intent on destroying his career as well as his family? You are a terrible person. Just the worst. I hope your house is surrounded by AirBNB rentals full of drunk conservatives who have non-stop MAGA themed block parties.
HuMcK
contrario said:

I'm amazed some people that are otherwise reasonable people can honestly think there is any merit to these accusations and even if they are true, they really aren't that bad, especially as it appears it was an isolated incident. From what I gather, two teenagers got drunk, went to a bedroom, he tried to hook up with her, she said no, and he stopped. That's it. Seriously, if this is going to be the new "test" democrats want to put on nominees and politicians, this will not end well for them. Further, if accusations are all it takes, and no proof, I would imagine a lot of "anonymous" accusers will be coming out of the woodwork in the near future. It seems like the democrats are so near sighted they constantly forget the long-term implications and dangerous precedent they are setting.

It's one thing to delay a vote, it's another thing to destroy a man's life over baseless accusations.

This is at least the second time I've seen you misrepresent (lie about?) what the accusation is. She didnt "say no, and he stopped", the allegation is she said no so he put his hand over her mouth, locked the door, and turned up the music. It's up for debate if it happenned or not, but what you described is not even close to what's alleged.
Malbec
Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

You are completely nuts. If you think being smeared with baseless allegations of sexual misconduct "pales" in comparison to not being given a confirmation hearing, there is simply no hope for you.
HuMcK
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

The SCOTUS judge Kananaugh was nominated to replace, Anthony Kennedy, was seated in an election year by a Democratic Senate for a lame duck GOP POTUS.
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

This is at least the second time I've seen you misrepresent (lie about?) what the accusation is. She didnt "say no, and he stopped", the allegation is she said no so he put his hand over her mouth, locked the door, and turned up the music. It's up for debate if it happenned or not, but what you described is not even close to what's alleged.
Why do you lie? Allegedly he shut the door and turned the music up and then tried to make advances on her. At which time she said no and ran away and he stopped. Why lie about the order? I stand by what I said. Two drunk teenagers went in a bedroom, door was shut and music turned on (added for your benefit), she said no and left, and he stopped. Again, this is not uncommon for high school drinking parties. It probably usually goes much worse than unwanted advancements.

When you were younger, did you never get drunk at a party and try to get with a girl? If not, I would be very surprised.
HuMcK
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

contrario said:

Why do you lie? Allegedly he shut the door and turned the music up and then tried to make advances on her. At which time she said no and ran away and he stopped. Why lie about the order? I stand by what I said. Two drunk teenagers went in a bedroom, door was shut and music turned on (added for your benefit), she said no and left, and he stopped. Again, this is not uncommon for high school drinking parties. It probably usually goes much worse than unwanted advancements.

When you were younger, did you never get drunk at a party and try to get with a girl? If not, I would be very surprised.

You left out the hand over her mouth to keep her quiet part, and again you mischaracterize how it ended by saying "he stopped", allegedly he didn't stop she just was able to get away. I think it says a lot about what you really think that you keep trying to soften up the details to make yourself feel better.

And no, I can honestly say that I've never behaved in the way described. I don't know about you, but where I come from we were taught "no means no" pretty early on. I actually know someone who ended up getting his a$$ beat because he tried to pull a similar move on a girl at a HS party and got caught by some other guys. He probably would have walked away but the phrase that got him beat up was he kept saying something along the lines of "what's the big deal, everyone does it".
Doc Holliday
Doc Holliday
bubbadog
contrario said:

Why do you lie? Allegedly he shut the door and turned the music up and then tried to make advances on her. At which time she said no and ran away and he stopped.
That is not at all what she alleges.

Here is the allegation:

The two boys got her into the bedroom.
Kavanaugh pinned her on the bed and started trying to strip off her clothes, while the other guy watched and laughed.
She tried to scream, but Kavanaugh put his hand over her mouth.
She continued to struggle. The other boy jumped on the bed to try to help pin her down. This caused all three of them to fall off the bed. She was able to scramble up, run out of the room and lock herself in a bathroom. She waited in there until she heard them go downstairs, and then waited 5-10 minutes more before exiting the bathroom and leaving the house.

"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Doc Holliday
bubbadog said:

contrario said:

Why do you lie? Allegedly he shut the door and turned the music up and then tried to make advances on her. At which time she said no and ran away and he stopped.

Here is the allegation:

Kavanaugh pinned her on the bed and started trying to strip off her clothes, while the other guy watched and laughed.
She continued to struggle. The other boy jumped on the bed to try to help pin her down. This caused all three of them to fall off the bed. She was able to scramble up, run out of the room and lock herself in a bathroom. She waited in there until she heard them go downstairs, and then waited 5-10 minutes more before exiting the bathroom and leaving the house.

Can't be proven.

She waited too long.
contrario
bubbadog said:

contrario said:

Here is the allegation:

And he says nothing happen and he says he wasn't even at a party like this, which is tough to determine because she can't even remember where or when the party was.

What is amazing is so many of you guys defended Bill for doing much worse, and I mean much much worse. And you same people defended Hillary for questioning the motives of the accusers and saying bad things about the accusers. None of you had a problem with any of their actions, and those accusers actually had evidence. And it was accusers, not accuser. It's remarkable how hypocritical you guys are.

For the record, I questioned the motives of Bill's accusers, just as I question the timing and motive of this accuser.
contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

contrario said:

You left out the hand over her mouth to keep her quiet part, and again you mischaracterize how it ended by saying "he stopped", allegedly he didn't stop she just was able to get away. I think it says a lot about what you really think that you keep trying to soften up the details to make yourself feel better.

And no, I can honestly say that I've never behaved in the way described. I don't know about you, but where I come from we were taught "no means no" pretty early on. I actually know someone who ended up getting his a$$ beat because he tried to pull a similar move on a girl at a HS party and got caught by some other guys. He probably would have walked away but the phrase that got him beat up was he kept saying something along the lines of "what's the big deal, everyone does it".
Funny, I know a girl that knew you when you were a teenager and says otherwise. She says it happened, so it must be true.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

contrario said:

Here is the allegation:

The other boy says it didn't happen. Kavanaugh says it didn't happen. Alleged victim not sure when it happened or where it happened or who else was at the party.
Golem
Doc Holliday said:

bubbadog said:

contrario said:

Here is the allegation:

Can't be proven.

She waited too long.

No. To a Democrat, she waited exactly long enough. No matter how false her accusations.
Sam Lowry
HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

The SCOTUS judge Kananaugh was nominated to replace, Anthony Kennedy, was seated in an election year by a Democratic Senate for a lame duck GOP POTUS.
That was an exception to the rule, and only after Bork was rejected and Douglas Ginsburg withdrew.
HuMcK
Sam Lowry said:

HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

That was an exception to the rule, and only after Bork was rejected and Douglas Ginsburg withdrew.

There's really no "rule" for Kennedy to be an exception to, that's just McConnell's fig-leaf justification for what he did to Garland. Bork was rejected for wholly justifiable reasons, Ginsburg not so much but he withdrew his own name. What happened to Merrick Garland was unprecedented, and its ramifications will carry on for a while.
Sam Lowry
HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

HuMcK said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

... said:

There's really no "rule" for Kennedy to be an exception to, that's just McConnell's fig-leaf justification for what he did to Garland. Bork was rejected for wholly justifiable reasons, Ginsburg not so much but he withdrew his own name. What happened to Merrick Garland was unprecedented, and its ramifications will carry on for a while.
That's simply not true. To take just a couple of examples, a Republican Senate held up the replacement of Peter Vivian Daniel in 1861 so Abraham Lincoln could appoint his successor. Lincoln replaced four justices and created a new seat on the court for good measure, for a total of five appointments. Lincoln was succeeded by Democrat Andrew Johnson. The Senate rejected one of his nominees, refused to vote on the other one, and passed a law reducing the number of justices from ten to seven. When Republican Ulysses Grant was elected, Congress raised the number back to nine.

Supreme Court nominations have been politicized since the emergence of the two party system in the early 1800s. What happened to Garland was in no way unprecedented or surprising. What's unprecedented is the extreme level of character assassination, which Democrats have pioneered and which some people apparently consider more legitimate than voting "no" or allowing a nomination to expire.
riflebear
The radical far right liberal mind in a nut shell. They know their voters have no clue as long as they obstruct and tell lies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.