Coronavirus updates here

435,937 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

Once you get the virus, there are only two possible results, recovery or death.

Yes, you dumb ***** That is the outcome of every virus.

Really? Why do you continue to post? Adults talking here.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Except they say it is appearing that high temperatures aren't going to affect it.
Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
Fauci has actually recently expressed concern in an interview (I don't recall which) that it may not die down too much because it appears to be spreading in the southern hemisphere where temperatures are warmer i.e. in Australia, and in Africa

I probably should have added the word 'much' to the end of my sentence above.

Here is a link:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates
From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

[url=][/url]

[url=][/url]
Just one comment, it's Fall not Summer in the Southern Hemisphere. I would expect it to get worse on that end of the globe as temperatures decline and relative humidity changes.

And the thing that impacts viruses in hot humid weather is the competition virus droplet transmission has as humid air crowds out and inhibits moisture movement. It's as much physics as epidemiology.

BTW, you Texas folk seem to be doing surprisingly well thus far according to the numbers. I certainly hope it continues.
Oldbear83
Your link does not actually say what you initially claimed. Hot weather has always helped reduce viruses. Kind of why they have a flu season, for example.

And yes, some people can get the virus in warm weather, just like some people get the flu in July. That does not mean the heat is not important and welcome in fighting the spread of the virus.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Aliceinbubbleland
It's autumn in Australia and So Africa. Mid seventies there and most likely any infections came from up north. Like most infectious diseases it comes from somewhere else unless you live in China. Airports and airlines from China and Italy (huge Chinese population with WuHan relatives) brought the virus to southern hemisphere. It will remain to be seen if the cooling temps there increase the spread.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
PartyBear
That is because local govts, (including school boards) in every large and most mid sized counties have been as proactive as some of the most aggressive governors in the country. Not to mention all universities are went online for the year.
jupiter
quash
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Except they say it is appearing that high temperatures aren't going to affect it.
Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Aliceinbubbleland
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.
It was very cold during Mardi Gras when all those yankees poured into the city from NYC but then you will never hear that on CNN.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Jack and DP said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

PartyBear said:

The idiotic Governor of Mississippi issued an executive order attempting to override local shelter in place orders. Hopefully Mayors and County leaders in areas where there is one say essentially "fu it's still in effect".
Idiot.

Not you, the Miss. Governor.

Our gov is doing just fine.

He's dealt with prison riots, flooding, and corona in his first few months.
Just build a wall along the Mississippi so the virus stops invading Mississippi . This virus pattern is now easily traced. From China to Seattle area. Large outbreak. Then NYC with its horrific melting pot of population and their relatives flying in every day since the day the original outbreak was traced to WuHan. Then Mardi Gras and all those folks from NYC area and Seattle area coming to Louisiana to rub shoulders along parade routes for two weeks. Same for Florida. Daily arrival of flights packed with snowbirds.

The high temperatures in the rest of the south will kill the virus.

Have been concerned about such a possibility.

Certainly believe you ....but were can I read the findings ?

ATL Bear
Updated virus progression

March 19: 4,530 new cases, 57 new deaths
March 20: 5,594 new cases, 49 new deaths
March 21: 4,824 new cases, 46 new deaths
March 22: 9,339 new cases. 117 new deaths
March 23: 10,168 new cases. 140 new deaths.
March 24: 11,089 new cases. 225 new deaths.
March 25: 13,355 new cases. 247 new deaths.
March 26: 17,224 new cases. 268 new deaths.

Total cases (tested): 85,435
Total deaths: 1,295
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.
So you don't have an actual medical source you can link to to support the claim.

OK.
Buddha Bear
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

I thought that initially as well. It's hot in Thailand (90s everyday). And its spreading quickly here now. We are about 2 weeks behind the US, but it's now doubling every 3 days.
Jack and DP
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Your link does not actually say what you initially claimed. Hot weather has always helped reduce viruses. Kind of why they have a flu season, for example.

And yes, some people can get the virus in warm weather, just like some people get the flu in July. That does not mean the heat is not important and welcome in fighting the spread of the virus.
Fauci said last night on CNN town hall it's a novel virus, and we don't know what it will do in the summer. It may or may not dimisish with warmer weather. If it does, it may surge again in cooler weather, so he believes it is important to develop a vaccine.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Jack and DP said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

PartyBear said:

The idiotic Governor of Mississippi issued an executive order attempting to override local shelter in place orders. Hopefully Mayors and County leaders in areas where there is one say essentially "fu it's still in effect".
Idiot.

Just build a wall along the Mississippi so the virus stops invading Mississippi . This virus pattern is now easily traced. From China to Seattle area. Large outbreak. Then NYC with its horrific melting pot of population and their relatives flying in every day since the day the original outbreak was traced to WuHan. Then Mardi Gras and all those folks from NYC area and Seattle area coming to Louisiana to rub shoulders along parade routes for two weeks. Same for Florida. Daily arrival of flights packed with snowbirds.

Dr. Campbell and some others on YouTube are suggesting that may be the case. Dr. Campbell has a daily update, and has appeared on CNN.
TexasScientist
Aliceinbubbleland said:

It's autumn in Australia and So Africa. Mid seventies there and most likely any infections came from up north. Like most infectious diseases it comes from somewhere else unless you live in China. Airports and airlines from China and Italy (huge Chinese population with WuHan relatives) brought the virus to southern hemisphere. It will remain to be seen if the cooling temps there increase the spread.
Yes.
Florda_mike
Jack and DP said:

Looks like a crook that just stole half my stuff and is coming back for the rest and I haven't got a clue it's him
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Fauci said last night on CNN town hall it's a novel virus, and we don't know what it will do in the summer. It may or may not dimisish with warmer weather. If it does, it may surge again in cooler weather, so he believes it is important to develop a vaccine.
Of course it's important to develop a vaccine, I hope - as I am sure we all do - that the clinical trials starting next week produce great results.

But just because a virus is "novel", does not mean it can do things viruses cannot do. There are limits, both lower and upper, to every aspect of the virus, and every virus in history struggles to survive in heat. It's simply a question of how much heat a virus can tolerate, and for how long.

Forest Bueller_bf
GrowlTowel said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

GrowlTowel said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack and DP said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

PartyBear said:

Idiot.

Just as there should be individual states rights, there should also be municipalities rights, to govern their local city as they wish if they can see there is a grave risk, especially since they want to shelter in place.

He may be a fine man, and has done well as a Governor, but there are times that municipalities must make their own calls without fear of being overruled.

No thank you. Cities are not sovereign entities.

Well the Executive Order for Tarrant County City of Fort Worth, the order to shelter in place came from Judge B. Glen Whitley. The one for Dallas, Tx. came from a Dallas County judge.

Not the Governor.

So I have these apples but you now want to talk about those oranges? We talking cities or counties?
County Judge, I believe Clay Matthews wrote up the executive order for the City of Dallas. Not sure the legal loopholes that had to be executed. The City Manager was pushing hard for it.
Forest Bueller_bf
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

I thought that initially as well. It's hot in Thailand (90s everyday). And its spreading quickly here now. We are about 2 weeks behind the US, but it's now doubling every 3 days.
oof.
Oldbear83
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

oof.
That '3 day doubling' comment gets used a lot, but from what I understand, testing has been a problem everywhere. For example, my wife has been watching new non-stop since she got home last week (not much else to watch while self-quarantined), and even in the PRC doctors are complaining they don't have enough reliable tests, masks or ventilators.

My point is, the numbers we are getting about 'confirmed' cases vary a bit depending on the source (Worldometer depends on the WHO, mostly, while Johns Hopkins uses a number of media sources, and the CDC uses still different sources), but in each case they are reporting confirmed cases, meaning patients who have been tested, meaning there are likely a lot of other cases of infection which have not yet been confirmed - the rising numbers therefore can be said to at least partially be an effect of more testing rather than faster infections. It's also important to understand that the death rate presented by the media is based on confirmed cases rather than a real total, so the actual CMR is likely to be lower, but no one yet knows by how much.

I'm trying to find a reliable source which includes the estimated number of people tested, as well as recoveries. I think that data would also be very useful in creating a more reliable geographic profile of this virus' behavior.
Canada2017
'suggesting '.

Thought there might be some hard data to support such a disturbing claim .
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Jack and DP said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

PartyBear said:

Idiot.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/25/us/25reuters-health-coronavirus-eu-ecdc.html?auth=login-email&login=email

New York Times
Summer Heat Unlikely to Halt Coronavirus, EU Body Says
By Reuters
March 25, 2020
BRUSSELS Summer heat is unlikely to stop the spread of the coronavirus, and every country in Europe is forecast to run out of intensive care beds by mid-April unless it acts fast, the European Union's disease control agency said on Wednesday.
The European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) cited research which it said suggests that the virus does not become less dangerous in hot and humid conditions, reducing hope that the northern hemisphere could get a respite when the summer arrives.
"There is no evidence to date that SARS-CoV-2 will display a marked winter seasonality, such as other human coronaviruses in the northern hemisphere," the ECDC said in a report, using the name for the novel virus that causes the COVID-19 disease.
The document cited preliminary analyses from the outbreak in China which found the virus was able to maintain high levels of reproduction in tropical places with high humidity, such as Guangxi and Singapore.

ATL Bear
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

Sorry to hear that. Do you not think the rapid spread has to do with the close quarters living and moving environment? Certainly no stopping a virus around that. Think the same applies to New York regardless of relative humidity.
TexasScientist
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Here is another link for you:

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/25/us/25reuters-health-coronavirus-eu-ecdc.html?auth=login-email&login=email

New York Times
By Reuters
March 25, 2020
BRUSSELS Summer heat is unlikely to stop the spread of the coronavirus, and every country in Europe is forecast to run out of intensive care beds by mid-April unless it acts fast, the European Union's disease control agency said on Wednesday.
The European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) cited research which it said suggests that the virus does not become less dangerous in hot and humid conditions, reducing hope that the northern hemisphere could get a respite when the summer arrives.
"There is no evidence to date that SARS-CoV-2 will display a marked winter seasonality, such as other human coronaviruses in the northern hemisphere," the ECDC said in a report, using the name for the novel virus that causes the COVID-19 disease.
The document cited preliminary analyses from the outbreak in China which found the virus was able to maintain high levels of reproduction in tropical places with high humidity, such as Guangxi and Singapore.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Of course it's important to develop a vaccine, I hope - as I am sure we all do - that the clinical trials starting next week produce great results.

But just because a virus is "novel", does not mean it can do things viruses cannot do. There are limits, both lower and upper, to every aspect of the virus, and every virus in history struggles to survive in heat. It's simply a question of how much heat a virus can tolerate, and for how long.

Here is another link for you:

[url=https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/25/us/25reuters-health-coronavirus-eu-ecdc.html?auth=login-email&login=email][/url]https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/25/us/25reuters-health-coronavirus-eu-ecdc.html?auth=login-email&login=email

New York Times
By Reuters
March 25, 2020
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

oof.
That '3 day doubling' comment gets used a lot, but from what I understand, testing has been a problem everywhere.
This is one reason that "but but testing" isn't a real response to the three-day doubling problem. Another is that the virus doesn't care whether it's been tested or not. If the hospitals are overrun and can't treat people, it doesn't do much good for them to say "don't worry, you're just one of those previously undetected cases."
Oldbear83
So you cite a newspaper which quotes an agency which references but does not provide source data for claims using words like "suggest".

That's some weak evidence for your claim, son.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

oof.
That '3 day doubling' comment gets used a lot, but from what I understand, testing has been a problem everywhere.
This is one reason that "but but testing" isn't a real response to the three-day doubling problem. Another is that the virus doesn't care whether it's been tested or not. If the hospitals are overrun and can't treat people, it doesn't do much good for them to say "don't worry, you're just one of those previously undetected cases."
Here's a link to a pretty good analysis of the actual case mortality rate and the improbability of a very low mortality percentage.

Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Who says that, exactly?

Link, please
It's hot in NOLA.

oof.
Hysteria is not an effective plan, son.

And jumping to conclusions does not even count as healthy exercise.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

So you cite a newspaper which quotes an agency which references but does not provide source data for claims using words like "suggest".

Show me where the EUCDC is wrong.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You have it backwards. You made a claim which runs against the historical behavior of all prior viruses, so it's your burden to prove your claim.

What you provided was far from compelling.
Canada2017

I have to agree........the ' data ' is not remotely compelling .

Though we will certainly know by mid June one way or the other.
Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

I have to agree........the ' data ' is not remotely compelling .

Though we will certainly know by mid June one way or the other.
And we should see case loads trend according to various factors by late April.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You have it backwards. You made a claim which runs against the historical behavior of all prior viruses, so it's your burden to prove your claim.

What you provided was far from compelling.
I'm not claiming anything. I'm repeating what others have said or written on whether warmer weather will or will not reduce the incidence. You're the one who said that it would subside due to warmer weather. Maybe you should offer conclusive studies to prove it.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.