Call it: How many US deaths from COVID-19, and why?

24,728 Views | 278 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert Wilson
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

Hydroxychloroquine will cure too many cases that would've been fatal

But I was hearing wealthy have made availability scarce as they bought it up when they didn't even need it

This is exposing a really ugly side of human nature

Uh, we certainly hope the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combo is effective, but so far that hope is based on a couple of insanely small studies (n of 20, I believe) and anecdote. It's certainly not a cure, nor is it 100% effective, nor do we understand why it may be more effective in some patients than others.

Are you a medical doctor?
Guy Noir
Kyle said:

Oldbear83 said:

Some nations are experiencing terrible expansion of the virus, but others are showing almost none, notably Russia.
$100 says Rachel Maddow has a story written about how Kung Flu was a Putin-driven event run by Trump to instill marital law, suspend the election, and declare himself dictator for life. Jinque probably already believes it.
I too have noticed that Russia has not been affected by this outbreak according to the reported statistics.

?
Aliceinbubbleland
Putin is on to something. When the population doesn't know they don't rush the toilet paper. When they do know they want their bank filled with gifts or else they will execute those in charge.
PartyBear
That's because they are having a "pneumonia" epidemic. There is no Corona virus there according to the regime.
Shakesbear
Jack Bauer said:

57Bear said:

These reports vary depending on the source that you are using. They vary depending on when the states provide their statistics.

It is concerning that the states are reporting 32,783 cases with 416 deaths, but only 178 recoveries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

There is no way that this will cap out at 450 deaths.

Florida: Hydroxychloroquine will cure too many cases that would've been fatal
Hydroxychloroquine won't be used until the FDA says go.

Actor Daniel Dae Kim posted a video to Instagram today to update his fans on his health regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus and credited a "drug cocktail" which included hydroxychloroquine and Z-Pak with his recovery.
Interesting because a Z pack is an antibiotic that does nothing for a viral infection. If true, for Mr. Kim it would appear that the hydroxychloroquine has been helpful in his recovery.
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Shakesbear
Florda_mike said:

Seems some want Hydroxychloroquine to not work?

Plenty of evidence out there it is, when taken properly under doctors orders
Do tell. Everyone wants a cure, and to imply otherwise is asinine.
Robert Wilson
I'm spitballing we lose 150-300k - so 3-6X a bad flu season. Should be viewed as a nice victory and have allowed us to roll on pretty smoothly as a society, but it won't. We will continue to lose our ever-lovin' minds and self induce massive damage over and above the death toll by the way we "handle" this.

We lose 20-60k/year as an *annuity* to the flu, and we don't give 1/17 of a sht, societally or economically speaking. Over 600k in the US will die this year of heart disease, about the same number from cancer. 160K will die from lower respiratory disease - we won't lose our minds over that one. But woo hoo corona, now that one will stop the planet on its axis and induce economic panic like you never saw, which will ultimately stack a lot more damage on top of that 150-300k.
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

But I was hearing wealthy have made availability scarce as they bought it up when they didn't even need it

Uh, we certainly hope the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combo is effective, but so far that hope is based on a couple of insanely small studies (n of 20, I believe) and anecdote. It's certainly not a cure, nor is it 100% effective, nor do we understand why it may be more effective in some patients than others.

My wife is, at Stanford.
LTbear
Florda_mike said:

Seems some want Hydroxychloroquine to not work?

Plenty of evidence out there it is, when taken properly under doctors orders

Who in the hell doesn't want it to work? I think it's fair to say everyone wants anything to work.
Forest Bueller_bf
Shakesbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

57Bear said:

These reports vary depending on the source that you are using. They vary depending on when the states provide their statistics.

It is concerning that the states are reporting 32,783 cases with 416 deaths, but only 178 recoveries.

Actor Daniel Dae Kim posted a video to Instagram today to update his fans on his health regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus and credited a "drug cocktail" which included hydroxychloroquine and Z-Pak with his recovery.
Interesting because a Z pack is an antibiotic that does nothing for a viral infection. If true, for Mr. Kim it would appear that the hydroxychloroquine has been helpful in his recovery.
Probably the Z-pack is helping because though Corona is viral, it can cause other complications once it starts and those are often bacterial.
Shakesbear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Shakesbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

57Bear said:

Probably the Z-pack is helping because though Corona is viral, it can cause other complications once it starts and those are often bacterial.
True, but the $64K question is will further testing indicate that hydroxychloroquine is actually helpful to the masses? I hope we get an answer to that sooner than later.
Canada2017
LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

My wife is, at Stanford.
You just be married to one extremely intelligent woman.
LTbear
Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

My wife is, at Stanford.

Extremely intelligent, incredibly beautiful ****-talker who loves a good beer and college football. Not sure how I pulled it off.
Forest Bueller_bf
LTbear said:

Canada2017 said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

LTbear said:

Florda_mike said:

My wife is, at Stanford.

Extremely intelligent, incredibly beautiful ****-talker who loves a good beer and college football. Not sure how I pulled it off.
I think I remember a picture you put on here of your wife a few years back. Yea, you hit the straight up lottery.
Buddha Bear
Robert Wilson said:

I'm spitballing we lose 150-300k - so 3-6X a bad flu season. Should be viewed as a nice victory and have allowed us to roll on pretty smoothly as a society, but it won't. We will continue to lose our ever-lovin' minds and self induce massive damage over and above the death toll by the way we "handle" this.

We lose 20-60k/year as an *annuity* to the flu, and we don't give 1/17 of a sht, societally or economically speaking. Over 600k in the US will die this year of heart disease, about the same number from cancer. 160K will die from lower respiratory disease - we won't lose our minds over that one. But woo hoo corona, now that one will stop the planet on its axis and induce economic panic like you never saw, which will ultimately stack a lot more damage on top of that 150-300k.
Looking to be the most accurate guess so far.

And here I thought 350 per day would be the peak. Ouch.

Hard to believe this thread started 2 weeks ago...
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

I believe it is likely we will see no more than 2,500 US dead in 2020 from COVID-19. Each and every one of those deaths would be a tragedy, but that's where the cap would be.

I wish you'd been correct. Hopefully with continued distancing measures we can keep it below 10X your guess, but I'm not sure. If I can find the article I'll link it, but I did read something a couple days ago that indicates only 20% of new cases in the SF Bay Area the past week have originated from community spread, whereas 80% have been directly linked to travel. Promising news, but other parts of the country aren't looking good.
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I believe it is likely we will see no more than 2,500 US dead in 2020 from COVID-19. Each and every one of those deaths would be a tragedy, but that's where the cap would be.

I wish you'd been correct. Hopefully with continued distancing measures we can keep it below 10X your guess, but I'm not sure. If I can find the article I'll link it, but I did read something a couple days ago that indicates only 20% of new cases in the SF Bay Area the past week have originated from community spread, whereas 80% have been directly linked to travel. Promising news, but other parts of the country aren't looking good.
The irony is that in a couple years a lot of things will be obvious, since we have so many ways to track data, and someone will find the pattern that best describes how the virus propagates and why some areas are hit worse than others.

My current theory is that travel is the key. Every place that got hit really hard was either a city known for a lot of travel for tourism or business (NYC gets both), or a place where people are in close proximity for a long time (cruise ships, the Navy). The fact that China delayed telling anybody for 6 weeks (Nov 17 first case to Dec 31 first report) means that a lot of people traveled through Wuhan and carried the virus around the globe.

But I am worried about how literally every state has C-19 cases. It's no surprise to see the virus migrate as people move around, but Alaska? Montana? Something happening there I do not understand.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

The irony is that in a couple years a lot of things will be obvious, since we have so many ways to track data, and someone will find the pattern that best describes how the virus propagates and why some areas are hit worse than others.

My current theory is that travel is the key. Every place that got hit really hard was either a city known for a lot of travel for tourism or business (NYC gets both), or a place where people are in close proximity for a long time (cruise ships, the Navy). The fact that China delayed telling anybody for 6 weeks (Nov 17 first case to Dec 31 first report) means that a lot of people traveled through Wuhan and carried the virus around the globe.

But I am worried about how literally every state has C-19 cases. It's no surprise to see the virus migrate as people move around, but Alaska? Montana? Something happening there I do not understand.
Well certainly travel is the big thing. Travel necessarily explains how the virus got here, and yes, why the outbreak has been the worst in travel-heavy and densely populated cities. But once it's there it starts to go through community spread, and when that's gone on long enough it's only a matter of time until people either travel through those less populated areas, or people who live in those less populated areas return from their own trips to the Bay Area, Seattle, New York, Denver, etc. Even if you look at, say, the Missoula, MT area - that's roughly 120,000 people. There are direct flights to Seattle every day. Odds say several people out of 110,000 are making that trip each day, or the demand for those flights (before this shutdown) wouldn't exist, and once a single one gets infected, they bring it back and community spread begins.
Oldbear83
Here in Houston a doctor from Methodist Hospital said that at least C-19 cannot be transmitted by mosquito.

If you have ever been in Houston, you know why we worry a lot about that. At least we only have to worry about West Nile, Malaria, Encephalitus and Zika from the bugs ,,,,
nein51
Alaska has a pretty big tourism business especially with cruise ships. Montana is the same way with people wanting to get to nature.
GoneGirl
Robert Wilson said:

False comparisons.

Heart disease isn't contagious, nor do literally hundreds of heart disease patients suddenly descend on medical facilities within a week or two, overwhelming their capacity.

Most heart patients don't endanger the medical professionals caring for them.

Although the effectiveness varies from year to year, medical professionals can and do get flu shots every year that offer some protection. Flu is typically not fatal to people who aren't already in poor health.

The coronavirus, on the other hand, is highly contagious, we don't have a cure, medical facilities in countries that didn't act soon enough (like Italy) are overwhelmed, the death rate is high enough that funeral homes are also overwhelmed. It's a crisis that's temporary, but dire, and strict measures to limit the spread and, we hope, the death toll are entirely appropriate.

Your analysis also ignores the impact on medical professionals. I wonder how many of them will view a death toll of 150,000 to 300,000 when people in their profession are disproportionately represented not only among the dead, but also among those sickened who may suffer permanent lung damage, lose weeks at work, etc.
BearTruth13
Florda_mike said:

Is it 61 now and 40 in Washington state? That's what I last read and most in Washington state are in a nursing home that had a previous $145,000,000 penalty for fraud!!!

Seems majorly cases are in democrat states which seems suspicious. Fake News all?

Oh well as regular flu deaths rapidly increase over 20,000 I'm guessing 450 coronavirus deaths thanks to swift actions of President Trump!!!

Sic em Trump
Aged like fine wine
Buddha Bear
BearTruth13 said:

Florda_mike said:

Is it 61 now and 40 in Washington state? That's what I last read and most in Washington state are in a nursing home that had a previous $145,000,000 penalty for fraud!!!

Seems majorly cases are in democrat states which seems suspicious. Fake News all?

Oh well as regular flu deaths rapidly increase over 20,000 I'm guessing 450 coronavirus deaths thanks to swift actions of President Trump!!!

Sic em Trump
Aged like fine wine

2 more weeks and we'll all be sipping from the finest vintage here.
LTbear
BearTruth13 said:

Florda_mike said:

Sic em Trump
Aged like fine wine

Man, the density of stupid in that post is hard to take. The first time I didn't even notice him suggesting the number of deaths in blue states was fake news. Holy hell.
GoneGirl
BearTruth13 said:

Florda_mike said:

Sic em Trump
Aged like fine wine
More like MadDog 2020.
Booray
Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

False comparisons.

Heart disease isn't contagious, nor do literally hundreds of heart disease patients suddenly descend on medical facilities within a week or two, overwhelming their capacity.

Although the effectiveness varies from year to year, medical professionals can and do get flu shots every year that offer some protection. Flu is typically not fatal to people who aren't already in poor health.

The coronavirus, on the other hand, is highly contagious, we don't have a cure, medical facilities in countries that didn't act soon enough (like Italy) are overwhelmed, the death rate is high enough that funeral homes are also overwhelmed. It's a crisis that's temporary, but dire, and strict measures to limit the spread and, we hope, the death toll are entirely appropriate.

Your analysis also ignores the impact on medical professionals. I wonder how many of them will view a death toll of 150,000 to 300,000 when people in their profession are disproportionately represented not only among the dead, but also among those sickened who may suffer permanent lung damage, lose weeks at work, etc.
I have a hard time believing my great university produced so many morons. It is one thing not to comprehend the risk before it manifests itself; it is a whole different level to see what is happening and still say we should carry on business as usual.

Our best minds are telling us that even with restrictive measures, expect at least 100K deaths. It is abundantly clear that without restrictive measures the death toll and havoc wrought on the medical system would be staggering. Literally beyond anything we have ever suffered in this country since the Civil War.

Yet people continue to question the need to protect ourselves?

This isn't the equivalent of the flu. It transmits more easily; the period of contagion is longer and harder to identify; the mortality rate is higher; we don't have therapeutics to treat it; and there is no vaccine. Seasonal flu does not present the risk of millions of deaths; this thing does. Those facts require what we implement extreme measures.If you are college educated and can't understand that distinction now, you are willfully ignorant.
BearTruth13
LTbear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Florda_mike said:

Sic em Trump
Aged like fine wine

Man, the density of stupid in that post is hard to take. The first time I didn't even notice him suggesting the number of deaths in blue states was fake news. Holy hell.
What happens when you sit in your armchair watching Fox News every day. Conspiracy theories suddenly become fact.
PartyBear
I'm pretty sure Florida Mike and maybe another are just trolls trying to stir division. There is no way those are real views.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

I'm pretty sure Florida Mike and maybe another are just trolls trying to stir division. There is no way those are real views.
They are about as credible as posts from Waco or Jinx. Would you call them "trolls"?
GoneGirl
Booray said:

Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

False comparisons.

I have a hard time believing my great university produced so many morons. It is one thing not to comprehend the risk before it manifests itself; it is a whole different level to see what is happening and still say we should carry on business as usual.

Our best minds are telling us that even with restrictive measures, expect at least 100K deaths. It is abundantly clear that without restrictive measures the death toll and havoc wrought on the medical system would be staggering. Literally beyond anything we have ever suffered in this country since the Civil War.

Yet people continue to question the need to protect ourselves?

This isn't the equivalent of the flu. It transmits more easily; the period of contagion is longer and harder to identify; the mortality rate is higher; we don't have therapeutics to treat it; and there is no vaccine. Seasonal flu does not present the risk of millions of deaths; this thing does. Those facts require what we implement extreme measures.If you are college educated and can't understand that distinction now, you are willfully ignorant.
Too many people appear to think we have a CHOICE between a higher casualty rate / higher rate of deaths and the tremendous negative economic impact of a prolonged shutdown of many businesses nationwide/globally.

I don't think that's the choice. The choice is whether to shut down now and reduce the death and infection rate for everyone, especially medical professionals who have to treat these pateints, or to have economically disasterous shutdowns essentially forced on communities--perhaps not every community, but too many--when large numbers of people fall ill.

Each year, one or two counties in my state end up having to shut down schools for a week or more because so many of their students have the flu or some sort of stomach bug that holding classes is both risky and futile, since more than half of students are out sick. And those aren't life-threatening illnesses; they just make you too sick to go to school. So it seems as if more people would understand the likely outcome of not trying to reduce the number of Covid cases right now: involuntary shutdowns because most people are too sick to work or go out.

The callous disregard of the health, safety and exhaustion levels of health care workers of all types--docs, nurses, aides, infection control staff, cleaning staff--is also shocking. Those people are putting their lives on the line for the patients they treat, and the least the rest of us can do is take measure to reduce the number of infections they have to treat, which in turns reduces their risk of being incapacitated for weeks with a case of Covid or being forced to self-quarantine because of exposure or death. I earnestly hope we keep good records of the number of medical professionals who get Covid and the number who die from it in comparison with the rest of the population. Maybe that ugly statistic will knock some sense into some of these selfish jerks.
nein51
Where in the world do you live? I want to make sure I stay far away. My kid is 12; we have never had a school shut down for the flu for even a day nevermind a week or two.
Oldbear83
We do have a choice about how we implement limits on business.

We do not need to keep liquor stores open, for instance, if we say that a bike repair shop that sees less than 20 customers a day should be shut down in the interest of public safety.

We do not need to keep paying salaries to judges and politicians who apply broad business bans and wipe out careers in the interest of public safety - let the people issuing the orders prove it's so important to them that they will share in the personal cost.

We do not need to treat every town and every state exactly the same. That would be like dividing our medical supplies and sending the same amount everywhere, ignoring the greater need in some places in the myopic interest of "fairness". Same thing in bans - use them as needed, not without care for their damage.

Shakesbear
World wide as of 8 minutes ago:

885687 - confirmed cases
44216 - deaths
4.99% death rate

United States as of 8 minutes ago:

190509 - confirmed cases
4118 - deaths
2.16% death rate

The death rate for the US has risen above the 2% mark for the first time, and that is bad news. I was really hoping we could keep it at no more than 2%, which is still way too high. Stay safe out there, and wash ya dam hands
GoneGirl
nein51 said:

Where in the world do you live? I want to make sure I stay far away. My kid is 12; we have never had a school shut down for the flu for even a day nevermind a week or two.
I live in a state with lots of rural counties where there's one school at each level for the whole county. Not sure why, but such shutdowns are much less common in the 5 larger metropolitan areas, perhaps because the city kids have more resistance because they're exposed to more germs. ???? Good question for an epidemiologist, if there's one posting on this board.

This was February:

https://fox17.com/news/local/more-than-a-dozen-tennessee-school-districts-closed-due-to-widespread-illness

Wilson County Schools' spokesman Bart Barker said that 10 percent of the entire student and teacher population in the district's schools had been sick with some type of illness recently. But he added that not all of those illnesses were the flu.

"The decision to close was certainly based on the absenteeism numbers and an effort to break the cycle on potential spreads of these illnesses and give a chance for students and staff to get better," Barker said.

School closures:
  • Humphreys County Schools: Closed Monday and Tuesday due to illness.
  • Lincoln County Schools: Closed Monday due to illness.
  • Maury County Schools: Closed Friday and Monday.
  • Overton County Schools: Closed through Monday.
  • Putnam County Schools: Closed Monday and Tuesday due to illness.
  • Robertson County Schools: Closed Monday and Tuesday due to illness.
  • Stewart County Schools: Closed Monday due to illness.
  • Tullahoma City Schools: Closed.
  • Wilson County School District: Closed through Monday.
GoneGirl
Shakesbear said:

World wide as of 8 minutes ago:

885687 - confirmed cases
44216 - deaths
4.99% death rate

United States as of 8 minutes ago:

190509 - confirmed cases
4118 - deaths
2.16% death rate

The death rate for the US has risen above the 2% mark for the first time, and that is bad news. I was really hoping we could keep it at no more than 2%, which is still way too high. Stay safe out there, and wash ya dam hands
The death rate will get higher if health care systems in hard-hit areas are too overwhelmed to treat the volume of Covid patients and have to triage patients as they did in Italy.

How could we have done such a poor job of communicating the real choice here--shut down now, or be shut down by a high volume of sick people later--so that more people, including state governors and city leaders, did not understand this decision?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.