Juneteenth to become federal holiday

16,415 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

I have no idea how you framed the conversation. Are you their boss?
Nope, just a colleague. One was a manager from a different department, two others worked in his team, and the last was an IT tech.

Not surprised you have 'no idea' how to talk to people in casual conversation, but it's amusing that you have to think I 'framed' the conversation when all I did was print out your post and ask for their thoughts.

N/M
Canada2017
robby44 said:

Also on this date in 1964
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Passed the Senate on June 19, 1964
Signed by LBJ signed into law July 2 1964

It would be another 3 years before my parents could take their children into pubic parks, the zoo or most restaurants and department stores.
Wonder how many of my relatives are safe entering public parks after sundown in Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland, Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit , St Louis , or Philly........tomorrow.......June 22nd 2021 .
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

It's not the holiday, it's how we're interpreting it.

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
We, whites, are only so far removed as yesterday and the implications of slavery have spun out across time. Reading history informs us of slavery outcomes through our racial history until yesterday.
What actions do you want white people to take?

Notice I'm not asking what I need to be aware of, I'm asking you what do I need to do?
I don't believe that Wac47 has any solutions. He's a race baiter that thrives on race baiting.

As a matter of fact, I believe that Wac47 isn't a pastor, isn't white, but instead a black person with a chip on their shoulder that's filled with hate toward white people because he chooses to blame his lack of personal achievement on others besides himself.

He's got a one track mind and is consumed with racism.

Nope. He white.
and ashamed of it
Iron Law of Woke Projection?
Canon
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?
You looking for a Halloween costume?

Why are some of you so concerned with locating the edge of what is/isn't racist? It's really not that hard to keep a safe distance from that cliff if you make any effort at all.
"Cliff" like soap, hiking, knitting.

Now black holes are racist....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9716851/Are-black-holes-racist-Cornells-new-race-cosmos-course.html
Whiskey Pete
Canon said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?

Why are some of you so concerned with locating the edge of what is/isn't racist? It's really not that hard to keep a safe distance from that cliff if you make any effort at all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9716851/Are-black-holes-racist-Cornells-new-race-cosmos-course.html
Wow, that's just stupid

So when a company is in the black, is that going to be racist too?
quash

Andrew Doyle is one of the best things about Twitter.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Porteroso
Rawhide said:

Canon said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Is this still ok?

Wow, that's just stupid

So when a company is in the black, is that going to be racist too?
Might be pretty woke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.