Realism About Vaccine Hesitancy

8,477 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by quash
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Bauer said:

The "Trump" vaccine became ok when it magically changed to the "Biden" vaccine?

Who is Joy-Ann Reid and why should we care?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
ATL Bear
There is no sound reason for people under 18 who are not immuno-compromised to get the vaccine.
quash
ATL Bear said:

There is no sound reason for people under 18 who are not immuno-compromised to get the vaccine.

This fall some schools are going to have to make some tough calls. There will be immuno-compromised students on campus; do they get sent home to Zoom? Will masks be required? Etc.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
ATL Bear
quash said:

ATL Bear said:

This fall some schools are going to have to make some tough calls. There will be immuno-compromised students on campus; do they get sent home to Zoom? Will masks be required? Etc.
With a vaccine, there's an answer for those who are potentially vulnerable. The dynamic of imposition should have changed.
quash
ATL Bear said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

With a vaccine, there's an answer for those who are potentially vulnerable. The dynamic of imposition should have changed.

That is my expectation. If your immuno-compromised kid is at a school where the community is at something like herd immunity you might send them to school. If not then you have some really hard decisions to make.
John Galt
quash said:

ATL Bear said:

I met someone today who has a daughter who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. She has attended Gonzaga. She has to transfer now because the vaccine is mandatory regardless of any medical exemption. She is looking to transfer to Baylor or atm now.
Osodecentx
Norman Dale said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

I met someone today who has a daughter who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. She has attended Gonzaga. She has to transfer now because the vaccine is mandatory regardless of any medical exemption. She is looking to transfer to Baylor or atm now.
What is Baylor expecting of students and faculty for the Fall semester? I think if they are vaccinated, they don't have to wear masks.
Florda_mike
Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

It's always cute to see how hard quash tries to sell himself as a regular guy,
No kiddin'

The sad thing, sometimes I think he actually believes himself to be a Libertarian

He just a lawyer, so he says
Florda_mike
J.B.Katz said:

Rawhide said:

J.B.Katz said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

I believe one of the biggest myths is that we could stop a virus. You can't stop a virus. The deaths and illnesses were going to occur no matter what we do
Nope

If ppl had taken the vaccine, we wouldn't be experiencing a surge in cases.

That's why Republicans are all of a sudden urging vaccination.

Too little too late for that effort. Just read these threads where some conservatives who generally have common sense are OK w/ vaccine skepticism.

We're abt to have another hard period & Republican "leaders" like Ron Johnson are in the driver's seat of that race to the bottom.
So you for mandatory vaccinations of all Americans? You think the gov't should be allowed to force people to accept vaccinations?
I think employers should be able to require vaccination. Mine does.
I think vaccination should be required to use public transit.
I think vaccination should be required to fly.
I think you go to the grocery and other businesses at your own risk but that THEY, not ******* customers, should decide how much risk they want their ees to endure.
I think ppl who opt not to get vaccinated should also sign a release that says the local E.R.s and hospitals can choose to not admit you if you get COVID
I don't think ppl admitted to ERs w/ COVID symptoms shld be allowed to refuse a test. That results in underreported cases, which Republicans are using to claim the problem's not as big as it is.
I think ppl, especially politicians, who promote false info about vaccines/vaccination should face sanctions for public endangerment. WI Sen Ron Johnson would be at the top of my list.
I think Republicans who don't support vaccination and other public health measures, esp those working hard to undermine those efforts, are blowing smoke out their asses if they are claiming what they're doing supports ecoomic recovery. Because it does the opposite. Republicans have hurt our recovery by promoting paranoia that resulted in us squandering a surplus of vaccines & now some are trying to backtrack, like DeSantis, but its too little and too late.

OCD?
Jacques Strap
From 95% effective at preventing COVID to 39% effective (maybe). Not saying it is a bad idea to get vaxed if you are old or in a risk group, but it is looking like Pfizer was oversold. All of us vaxed folks are part of a giant clinical trial at this point. Not hard to understand why some younger folks in low risk groups want to see what the results of the giant clinical trial are before jumping in. Human nature being what it is mandating them to get the vaccine before returning to college probably makes them even more reluctant.

NY times has a story also if you have a sub

COVID-19 Vaccine: U.S. mulls third shot for vulnerable population Official

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/health/health-news/475387-covid-19-vaccine-u-s-mulls-third-shot-for-vulnerable-population-official.html

Quote:

Reduced effectiveness

The growing consensus that at least some Americans will need a booster is tied in part to research suggesting that the Pfizer vaccine is less effective against the coronavirus after about six months.
More than half of those fully vaccinated in the United States so far have received Pfizer's vaccine, in two doses administered three weeks apart.

Pfizer's continuing global study of its clinical-trial participants shows that four to six months after the second dose, the vaccine's effectiveness against symptomatic infection drops from a high of 95 per cent to 84 per cent, according to the company.

The most recent figures from the Israeli Ministry of Health suggested that Pfizer's vaccine was just 39 per cent effective in preventing infection in that country in late June and early July, compared with 95 per cent from January to April. The vaccine remained more than 90 per cent effective in preventing severe disease and nearly as effective in preventing hospitalisation. Israel began offering a third Pfizer dose to citizens with severely weakened immune systems on July 12.

Mr Fauci said he wanted to compare it with data that the CDC had been gathering from cohorts of thousands of people across the United States. "People are sort of raising their eyebrows a bit," he said.

Paul Offit, a member of the Food and Drug Administration's outside advisory committee of vaccine experts, said a rise in mild or moderate cases of COVID-19 among vaccinated people did not necessarily mean a booster was required.

"The goal of this vaccine is not to prevent mild or low, moderate infectious disease," he said. "The goal is to prevent hospitalisation to death. Right now, this vaccine has held up to that."
Prematurely dangling the prospect of a third dose could also work as a deterrent against vaccination, other health experts warn.

If Americans think that immunity from the vaccines is short-lived, they said, they may be less likely to get their initial shot.

"We don't want people to believe that when you're talking about boosters, that means that the vaccines are not effective," Mr Fauci said at a congressional hearing on Tuesday. "They are highly effective."

John Galt
Jacques Strap said:

From 95% effective at preventing COVID to 39% effective (maybe). Not saying it is a bad idea to get vaxed if you are old or in a risk group, but it is looking like Pfizer was oversold. All of us vaxed folks are part of a giant clinical trial at this point. Not hard to understand why some younger folks in low risk groups want to see what the results of the giant clinical trial are before jumping in. Human nature being what it is mandating them to get the vaccine before returning to college probably makes them even more reluctant.

NY times has a story also if you have a sub

COVID-19 Vaccine: U.S. mulls third shot for vulnerable population Official

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/health/health-news/475387-covid-19-vaccine-u-s-mulls-third-shot-for-vulnerable-population-official.html

Quote:

Reduced effectiveness

The growing consensus that at least some Americans will need a booster is tied in part to research suggesting that the Pfizer vaccine is less effective against the coronavirus after about six months.
More than half of those fully vaccinated in the United States so far have received Pfizer's vaccine, in two doses administered three weeks apart.

Pfizer's continuing global study of its clinical-trial participants shows that four to six months after the second dose, the vaccine's effectiveness against symptomatic infection drops from a high of 95 per cent to 84 per cent, according to the company.

The most recent figures from the Israeli Ministry of Health suggested that Pfizer's vaccine was just 39 per cent effective in preventing infection in that country in late June and early July, compared with 95 per cent from January to April. The vaccine remained more than 90 per cent effective in preventing severe disease and nearly as effective in preventing hospitalisation. Israel began offering a third Pfizer dose to citizens with severely weakened immune systems on July 12.

Mr Fauci said he wanted to compare it with data that the CDC had been gathering from cohorts of thousands of people across the United States. "People are sort of raising their eyebrows a bit," he said.

Paul Offit, a member of the Food and Drug Administration's outside advisory committee of vaccine experts, said a rise in mild or moderate cases of COVID-19 among vaccinated people did not necessarily mean a booster was required.

"The goal of this vaccine is not to prevent mild or low, moderate infectious disease," he said. "The goal is to prevent hospitalisation to death. Right now, this vaccine has held up to that."
Prematurely dangling the prospect of a third dose could also work as a deterrent against vaccination, other health experts warn.

If Americans think that immunity from the vaccines is short-lived, they said, they may be less likely to get their initial shot.

"We don't want people to believe that when you're talking about boosters, that means that the vaccines are not effective," Mr Fauci said at a congressional hearing on Tuesday. "They are highly effective."

That is exactly correct - it's a massive clinical trial.
Sam Lowry
Jacques Strap said:

Not saying it is a bad idea to get vaxed if you are old or in a risk group, but it is looking like Pfizer was oversold.
No one ever said it wouldn't require a booster. Lots of vaccines do.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Not saying it is a bad idea to get vaxed if you are old or in a risk group, but it is looking like Pfizer was oversold.
Remains an easy thought process for me.

I trust my Baylor grad doctor. Will do as he suggests .

Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Since China is getting away with this and Democrats and liberals don't care, how many more pandemics from do you expect in the next 20 years coming out of China?

We're going to be taking vaccines quarterly lol
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Remains an easy thought process for me.

I trust my Baylor grad doctor. Will do as he suggests .

Same here.
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Since China is getting away with this and Democrats and liberals don't care, how many more pandemics from do you expect in the next 20 years coming out of China?

Maybe they can set up drive by jabs next to the drive by voting. Cast a vote for a ***** then get *****ed.
Sam Lowry
Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Maybe they can set up drive by jabs next to the drive by voting. Cast a vote for a ***** then get *****ed.
Maybe they can just count the vaccine as your vote. Get jabbed, +1 for Dems. Stay home, +1 for Reps. It's not like it's relevant to your health, or public safety, or anything non-political, so.
Whiskey Pete
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Maybe they can just count the vaccine as your vote. Get jabbed, +1 for Dems. Stay home, +1 for Reps. It's not like it's relevant to your health, or public safety, or anything non-political, so.
And hey, for anyone that makes a pledge not to eat fast food again, they can get an extra vote. It's not like it's relevant to their health or anything. Oh, and if enough people stopped, maybe the fast foodies would go out of business and then people would stop eating themselves into the ground. Healthier public would be good, no? I mean if everyone was healthier, maybe the next Covid or Delta Covid or Darth Vader Covid would have less of an impact.
Sam Lowry
Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

And hey, for anyone that makes a pledge not to eat fast food again, they can get an extra vote. It's not like it's relevant to their health or anything. Oh, and if enough people stopped, maybe the fast foodies would go out of business and then people would stop eating themselves into the ground. Healthier public would be good, no? I mean if everyone was healthier, maybe the next Covid or Delta Covid or Darth Vader Covid would have less of an impact.
Absolutely, politicize everything. Stalin would love it.
Jacques Strap
Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

I know you are kinda kidding but obesity is a major comorbidity. One of my motivations to drop 40 pounds (so far) getting my BMI down to 26.2. Also take vitamin D and zinc daily because it is cheap. I'd like to drop 10 more but the first 10 pounds are easy the last 10 take a lot longer and are harder.to drop. Side benefit is I have a lot more energy from less weight and better diet but I sure do miss all that food tat made me fat in the first place. So one day a week I still eat some good ol' "bad for me" food.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

Absolutely, politicize everything. Biden would love it.
FIFY
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Whiskey Pete
Jacques Strap said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jacques Strap said:

I know you are kinda kidding but obesity is a major comorbidity. One of my motivations to drop 40 pounds (so far) getting my BMI down to 26.2. Also take vitamin D and zinc daily because it is cheap. I'd like to drop 10 more but the first 10 pounds are easy the last 10 take a lot longer and are harder.to drop. Side benefit is I have a lot more energy from less weight and better diet but I sure do miss all that food tat made me fat in the first place. So one day a week I still eat some good ol' "bad for me" food.
Actually, I'm NOT kidding at all! We need less fast food and more exercise as a nation. I'm lucky on the exercise front, because I really enjoy cycling (ever since I was a kid) and do it as often as I can.

All our resident vaxxers on this board seem to be focused on Covid as a threat and completely ignore that Obesity is a HUGE threat to this nation. If we we're healthier as a country, then Covid wouldn't be as big of an issue.

By the way, way to go on dropping the 40 pounds! It's always easier said than done. Don't disagree that the occasional Whataburger is good to have, but wow... so many people make fast food, their breakfast, lunch and dinner... everyday of the week. We're killing ourselves, eating ourselves into he grave. Hell, I'm guilty sometimes. I get on a kick where I'm just so swamped, I'll hit the drive-thru a few times a week. I start feeling like crap and have get back on track... easy to get off track though... there's a damn fast food place on every friggin' street corner these days.
Doc Holliday
Thoughts on this?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

I'm hearing of this but need it clarified?
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

Looks like they're replacing the old test with one that can detect coronavirus and flu.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

Looks like they're replacing the old test with one that can detect coronavirus and flu.
Interesting. I tested positive for two strains of flu at once in February of 2020. It was the first time I'd ever had the flu, and it was pretty bad. My doctors thought the first test was bunk, so they tested again and it showed up as two different flu strains again. My doctors were baffled. Any chance it could have been Covid?
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

Interesting. I tested positive for two strains of flu at once in February of 2020. It was the first time I'd ever had the flu, and it was pretty bad. My doctors thought the first test was bunk, so they tested again and it showed up as two different flu strains again. My doctors were baffled. Any chance it could have been Covid?
Wonderful
Doc Holliday
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

Wonderful
Fun times!
quash
Florda_mike said:

Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

No kiddin'

The sad thing, sometimes I think he actually believes himself to be a Libertarian

So the state of Texas says.
Osodecentx
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

What is your conclusion?
Bad tests, bad docs, bad interpretation, Fauci conspiracy?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

No kiddin'

So what is brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

Give up???

A doberman.

AckAckAckAckAckAck!!!!! I just love that one.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

No kiddin'

Give up???

A doberman.

Who are you going to call when you end up before the judge?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Osodecentx said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

No kiddin'

Give up???

A doberman.

I have friends that are lawyers. Have told them that joke as well.

Hopefully I won't need one when I get arrested for defying the next mask mandate. I will sure as heck need one if faced with defying the federal vaccine mandate.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Osodecentx said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Rawhide said:

Oldbear83 said:

No kiddin'

Give up???

A doberman.

I have friends that are lawyers. Have told them that joke as well.

Hopefully I won't need one when I get arrested for defying the next mask mandate. I will sure as heck need one if faced with defying the federal vaccine mandate.
Call a doberman
jupiter
George Washington and the First Mass Military Inoculation

Quote:

George Washington's military genius is undisputed. Yet American independence must be partially attributed to a strategy for which history has given the infamous general little credit: his controversial medical actions. Traditionally, the Battle of Saratoga is credited with tipping the revolutionary scales. Yet the health of the Continental regulars involved in battle was a product of the ambitious initiative Washington began earlier that year at Morristown, close on the heels of the victorious Battle of Princeton. Among the Continental regulars in the American Revolution, 90 percent of deaths were caused by disease, and Variola the small pox virus was the most vicious of them all. (Gabriel and Metz 1992, 107)

On the 6th of January 1777, George Washington wrote to Dr. William Shippen Jr., ordering him to inoculate all of the forces that came through Philadelphia. He explained that: "Necessity not only authorizes but seems to require the measure, for should the disorder infect the Army . . . we should have more to dread from it, than from the Sword of the Enemy." The urgency was real. Troops were scarce and encampments had turned into nomadic hospitals of festering disease, deterring further recruitment. Both Benedict Arnold and Benjamin Franklin, after surveying the havoc wreaked by Variola in the Canadian campaign, expressed fears that the virus would be the army's ultimate downfall. (Fenn 2001, 69)

At the time, the practice of infecting the individual with a less-deadly form of the disease was widespread throughout Europe. Most British troops were immune to Variola, giving them an enormous advantage against the vulnerable colonists. (Fenn 2001, 131) Conversely, the history of inoculation in America (beginning with the efforts of the Reverend Cotton Mather in 1720) was pocked by the fear of the contamination potential of the process. Such fears led the Continental Congress to issue a proclamation in 1776 prohibiting Surgeons of the Army to inoculate.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/GW&smallpoxinoculation.html

Not sure I agree with Washington on this, but it is an interesting piece of history none the less

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.