Wines - what are you holding/buying

56,989 Views | 419 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by dmayfield
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Day 3:

We leave our comfy and fancy confines of Healdsburg for the unknown near the small city of Plymouth. Plymouth sits East of Sacramento in the edge of the Sierra Foothills AVA, which is a large AVA covering a lot of ground running North and South. Plymouth is very near the sub AVA of Shenandoah Valley, which is just south of El Dorado AVA and on the edge of Amador County. This area is knows for zinfandel and petite syrah. Also a surprising amount of Italian varieties, especially barbera.

So we heard from people that Plymouth area was like Sonoma 15 years ago. Well, no, that is not true. More like Sonoma 30 years ago. There ain't a lot there in terms of town/restaurant/visitor amenities. There was a little deli type place called Amador Market and it was a great spot for salads/sandwiches for lunch upon our arrival. Also had some local beer on tap. Thumbs up on this place.

After lunch we check into our house, which sits on the grounds of a small winery about 6 miles outside of Plymouth. There are several wineries nearby, so we decide to check out a couple. First on the list is Karmere, which seemed interesting to me because they make a wide variety of wines including some sparkling and they have a female winemaker which is still unusual in the industry. It was close enough to walk, but the road was so narrow it wasn't safe so we drove over. No tasting fee, so we tasted through several wines. In general, they were pretty average and forgettable. We were there a while as the ladies sat outside so I was constantly carrying new tastings out to the patio. We bought a bottle to drink and enjoyed the grounds, but I can't really recommend this place. I was surprised by the amount of traffic that came through the tasting room while we were there.

Next we headed back southwest to the Turley Amador tasting room. Turley does charge a tasting fee, but waives it with some purchase. Wines were good to fantastic. We bought a white to drink with dinner and a locally grown zinfandel to bring home. Turley wines are certainly no secret, but I've rarely drank them in the past. I liked the wines and even my wife, who is not a bold red fan, thought they were all quite good. This is a big enterprise, so the tasting room is more like Sonoma or Napa with a couple of sales associates pouring and giving the generic, scripted spiel, but still a lot of fun.

Since we had time, we stopped at one other place near us called Bella Piazza. oh my gosh, super cheesy and super sweet (not intentional, just made to appeal to a broad audience) wines. not expensive and I bought one bottle for like $24, but man, this place was not for me. Just a huge tourist trap kinda place. do not go

We stayed in for dinner and drank some wine and a lot of bourbon while sitting on the porch. Great night except the beds in the house weren't great and wife and I slept on a queen which seemed really small.

Friday, day 4 and our final day for tasting

Went into town and had breakfast at the greasy spoon diner. The wife wanted to hike so we made a long drive up into the Foothills, driving through Placerville looking for a trailhead I had seen on Google. Well, trail wasn't much, so we drove around checking out the sites (very windy and hilly roads) and wound our way to Somerset where there is a small restaurant called Gold Vine Grill. Little mom and pop place but nice local wine list and good food. While there, the waitress recommended we drive to Sly Park around Jenkinson lake to to some hiking. It was a long drive, but very pretty and the lake was gorgeous. Just what we needed.

Ready for some more tasting, we went to a very small winery that is near Somerset called Cantiga. The winemaker is an engineer by training and is very passionate about his vision to make wines with no secondary (malolactic) fermentation and no residual sugars. They make several wines from neighboring vineyards and their estate grapes and we tasted a lineup of grenache, syrah, petite syrah, shiraz, barbera, zinfandel and one white semillion. The tasting was led by the owner and his assistant winemaker. Super nerdy wine guys, which I just loved. The wines were fantastic, expressive of their place, acidic and just damn tasty. they provided thoughtful food bites with each wine which helped in the tasting, for sure. Like a lot of the smaller tasting rooms in the area, no fee for a tasting but only open around weekends. We bought a case and I look forward to ordering more. One very cool thing is they had 2012 wines in their current releases. Fantastic!

We met back up with our friends at another winery I had targeted to visit, Skinner Vineyards near the town of Fair Play, part of the Fair Play sub-AVA. Very hilly area not far from Cantiga. This is a much more professional operation. The owner is an insurance millionaire and the property reflects that, but the wines are compelling.

The views from the tasting room rival any I've seen in California including Napa, Sonoma, Paso, etc. A gorgeous spot. We just sat on their patio and drank for over 2 hours. Primarily red wines, but also an excellent rose and interesting white rhone blends. they had an estate white '13 blend that was outstanding. I also liked that there were '12 wines on their tasting menu, so fun to get a bit of perspective on their wines as they might change and vary from vintage to vintage. Obviously, the winemaker wasn't there but the 2 people manning the tasting room were excellent and we had a lot of fun.

There were a couple of other very small places I wanted to visit, but just didn't have time because of how long we spent at Skinner, but hey, I'll take good company and great views over running around and doing tastings.

Saturday we woke up and headed back to San Jose for the flight home. We used AA points, but obviously flying SW out of Sacramento would have been much, much more convenient.

so that's it, a fairly hectic 4 day wine trip

bularry
Lessons learned/do overs:

Sad we didn't visit Papapeitro Perry in Dry Creek Valley. I'm a fan of their wines and a very casual tasting room so easy to get in and out without a huge time commitment. I wish we'd gone there instead of Comstock.

Plymouth - I think we could have found a slightly better and cheaper house if we'd looked a little further into the hills. Also needed to plan our time a touch better, probably could have visited a better winery or two and skipped a couple of the dogs that we went to simply out of convenience. It didn't help that Friday am we (the men) were hung over from cigars and bourbon. whoops!
Hubbs
Thanks for the recap. We're going in October and looking for ideas.
bularry
I have a friend who has a tour business out there.

She is a Cali native but moved to Sugar Land a few years ago as her husband got transferred to Houston. She was general manager of a local wine bar and their wine club so I talked to her a lot and we became friends. Well, as things happen, he got transferred back to Cali at the end of last year so she's starting up a local tour business.

I don't know what all it entails or costs, but might be worth dropping her a line. Rachel - behindthevinesnapa@gmail.com She is super cool and is working hard on building contacts at wineries out there.
Hubbs
Have you been to Modus Operandi?
bularry
Hubbs said:

Have you been to Modus Operandi?

I have not
EnglishBear
Just back from annual long weekend in the Willamette Valley. For quality to price ratio it's my favorite domestic region. You gotta like Burgundian varietals, but if you do it's worth the trip.
bularry
I love Williamette Chardonnay but don't find it particularly value priced
EnglishBear
Totally fair. It's absolutely a YMMV situation. Always a great trip, regardless.

Anytime y'all are heading to Santa Ynez, I'd be happy to make a couple recommendations. Hell, my wife and I might drive up and join ya.
bularry
EnglishBear said:

Totally fair. It's absolutely a YMMV situation. Always a great trip, regardless.

Anytime y'all are heading to Santa Ynez, I'd be happy to make a couple recommendations. Hell, my wife and I might drive up and join ya.

I'm trying to target next spring to visit that area. Gotta make budget work
bularry
I'm in Houston, what is the best way to travel there? Fly to LA and drive up? or maybe somewhere north and drive south? what about flying to Bakersfield and driving over the mountains?

I often see better deals on Flights to SF/Oak area, but that's a pretty long drive and expensive to rent cars at SFO.

anyway, any insight you have is appreciated. I'd probably try to come in mid April or so.
forza orsi
Heading to the Napa area in late August, and we'll probably stay near Calistoga. Flying in to Sacramento and driving across past Lake Berryessa. We've been multiple times and know the area pretty well. If anyone has suggestions for wineries that are good but possibly a bit less well known than others, I'd love to hear about them. Also any favorite spots to eat would appreciated. Haven't been in about 4 years, so we don't know about anything new there.
bularry
Look up Cornell vineyard. Top of Howell Mtn. New winery might be cool to visit
EnglishBear
bularry said:

I'm in Houston, what is the best way to travel there? Fly to LA and drive up? or maybe somewhere north and drive south? what about flying to Bakersfield and driving over the mountains?

I often see better deals on Flights to SF/Oak area, but that's a pretty long drive and expensive to rent cars at SFO.

anyway, any insight you have is appreciated. I'd probably try to come in mid April or so.
Closest airport would be Santa Barbara. 40-45 minute drive from there to Los Olivos.

I'd go to LAX (2.5 hour drive) or Burbank (2 hrs) after that. Can't comment on the Bakersfield itinerary as I've never done it. Can't imagine it would be much closer if any than the LA airports.

Definitely not worth driving from Bay Area unless you're making a week of it and want to drive the coast, which is certainly worth doing but is worth doing slowly.
bularry
Thanks.
bularry
checked around yesterday and seems United flies to Santa Barbara, usually via LAX or LAS, so that's doable.

likely that will be the goal if we can make it fit the budget in '19
bularry
forza orsi said:

Heading to the Napa area in late August, and we'll probably stay near Calistoga. Flying in to Sacramento and driving across past Lake Berryessa. We've been multiple times and know the area pretty well. If anyone has suggestions for wineries that are good but possibly a bit less well known than others, I'd love to hear about them. Also any favorite spots to eat would appreciated. Haven't been in about 4 years, so we don't know about anything new there.
this is from above but I'll give her another plug

I don't know what all it entails or costs, but might be worth dropping her a line. Rachel - behindthevinesnapa@gmail.com She is super cool and is working hard on building contacts at wineries out there.
forza orsi
bularry said:

forza orsi said:

this is from above but I'll give her another plug

I checked the original post. Thanks for the info on her. Local knowledge is hard to beat, although we're not very good at schedule structure. Not sure what kind of tours she's doing. I live the rest of the year with a full appointment calendar and like not having to be too many places at set times while on vacation.
bularry
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I think the best benefit is she might be able to get you private tastings at places that don't do that stuff for the public. Of course that would involve a set time and if you like to avoid that, which I completely understand, then that's not much benefit

Why fly into Sac instead of OAK or SFO?
forza orsi
bularry said:

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I think the best benefit is she might be able to get you private tastings at places that don't do that stuff for the public. Of course that would involve a set time and if you like to avoid that, which I completely understand, then that's not much benefit

Why fly into Sac instead of OAK or SFO?

We like staying in the Calistoga area because it's a little quieter than the rest of the valley. From Sacramento airport to Calistoga takes almost exactly the same amount of time as from Oakland, or SFO. There's a nice drive from there through some mountains, past Lake Berryessa that's very pretty and never crowded. Sometimes traffic coming up from SFO or OAK is a problem, and this is way more predictable. That said, I notice that like half of Lake Berryessa is on fire today...
bularry
yeah, driving up from bay area can be a nightmare at the wrong time.

WILLIS
Bump
bularry
Best bargain wine I've had in a while

Nine Hats 2016 pinot Gris. Around $12. This is the lower level brand from Long Shadows out of Washington. Really good white wine
J.R.
bularry said:

Best bargain wine I've had in a while

Nine Hats 2016 pinot Gris. Around $12. This is the lower level brand from Long Shadows out of Washington. Really good white wine
will give it a go. I also like the A-Z Wine Works Pinot Gris from Oregon for the same price
WILLIS
For $6.99 it's hard to beat the Costco/Kirkland Malbec. Feel like I'm always grabbing a bottle of it and the Kirkland Prosecco when I'm going through there
bularry
I've become a ***** for wines from Sta Rita Hills area, which is Santa Barbara County

Had a aligote from Jim Clenenden last night. Lean and racy with tropical notes. From Santa Maria Valley
BellCountyBear
Wine is for ***s.
bularry
BellCountyBear said:

Wine is for ***s.

Small sticks?
WILLIS
Had the 2016 Costco/Kirkland signature series Oakville AVA Napa cab tonight ($18.99). Holy moly that's the best value I've had in awhile. That drinks like a bottle twice or more the price. Highly recommend. So good
JIVATY
J.R. said:

bularry said:

ATXBear said:

Any everyday Red's from any region or country that you recommend for those of us who are on a budget?
widely available wines I've had recently include Snoqualmie Merlot (WA) (2013 vintage I think) which the wife and I liked. I think it is $11 or so. another that is tougher to find is the '14 Hahn SLH pinot noir for $20.

There is a Spanish grenache I like, <>Dafont 192.168.1.1l FileHippo ] blue label on the bottle and widely available (HEB near me). I had the '14 and it was pretty good, less than $10. Bogel petite syrah (CA) is usually in the $12-14 range and it is also consistently good for that price point.

Oh, another I have had in the past but not recently, was Trentadue (CA) which makes a red blend and a merlot, both for under $15 I think, and they used to be good for the price.

Bogle Petit is good. Bogle makes great wines for reasonable. That Petit will turn your teeth purple, though.
We drink what we get pretty quick. I would love to have a nice storage/drinking room. Buddy of mine bought a house with a sweet climate controlled tasting/storage room. Seller had a house in northwest so lots of very nice wines from Oregon.

bularry
Best rose of '18 I've had - broc cellars. Buy it if you see it Also fan of Limerick Lane

Most fun domestic chugger- Stolpman Love Ya Bunches. Which is a carbonic macerated Sangiovese
imarockstar
When Kevin Zraly first started studying wines almost 50 years ago, it wasn't the most popular alcoholic beverage in the U.S.
"People looked at me like I was nuts studying wines," Zraly said. "All my friends were drinking beer."

At 21, Zraly hitchhiked to California to get exposure to the wines there. And after graduating from college, he took off for Europe.
By the time Zraly was 25, he was hired by restaurateur Joe Baum. The role took him to Windows on the World restaurant at the top of the World Trade Center.
Zraly worked there until the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. At the time, the restaurant reportedly had the largest wine sales of any restaurant in the world.
The eatery served as the inspiration for Zraly's wine course and corresponding book, "Windows on the World Complete Wine Course."
Today, Zraly still teaches beginning, intermediate and advanced wine students. And his book, which is updated every year, is one of the top-selling wine books in the world.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
Over Zraly's career, consumers' attitudes toward wine have changed. The U.S. is now the number one global consumer of wine. And millennials are now the number one consumers, followed by baby boomers.
What's more, U.S. wine consumption has continually gone up in the past 25 years, Zraly said.

bularry
Zraly's story is fairly amazing.

He essentially designed an "introduction to wine" course for the restaurant, which he used to write the books. He was fairly new to wine at the time and kinda learned on the fly. His passion for wine and to learn created his career.

His updated book is well worth anyone's time.
bularry
anyone out there walk on the wild side and drink Pet Nat's? I find them usually quite enjoyable.

CTCBear
I love me a pet nat. Have recently enjoyed ones from Donkey and Goat, William Chris, J Brix, and Broc Cellars. Fantastic way to add a little funk to bubbles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.