Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,092,882 Views | 29771 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by BearForce
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wish we could have kept this guy all those years ago. Just a great guy
------
Terence Newman, who signed a one-year contract with the Vikings on Monday, says 2018 will be his final season.
"After 15 years, I've soaked as much as I can in," Newman said. "It's been a heck of a ride. I understand when it's time for me. I'm not going to put an onus on doing anything special." Going on 40, 2018 will be Newman's 16th season. The No. 5 overall pick of the 2003 draft, Newman will be one of the few cornerbacks in league history to play into his 40s. He should have a situational role in the Vikings' crowded secondary.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press
May 1 - 2:38 PM
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Assassin said:

------
Terence Newman, who signed a one-year contract with the Vikings on Monday, says 2018 will be his final season.
"After 15 years, I've soaked as much as I can in," Newman said. "It's been a heck of a ride. I understand when it's time for me. I'm not going to put an onus on doing anything special." Going on 40, 2018 will be Newman's 16th season. The No. 5 overall pick of the 2003 draft, Newman will be one of the few cornerbacks in league history to play into his 40s. He should have a situational role in the Vikings' crowded secondary.

Given his injury history at the time it wasn't a bad call
Gust Avrakotos
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

------

We got plenty out of Terrence. Agree with you.

The guy I wish we would have kept is Zimmer.
BearForce
Gust Avrakotos said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

------

We got plenty out of Terrence. Agree with you.

The guy I wish we would have kept is Zimmer.

No *****.. would take Zim right now and he should have replaced Parcells frankly.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

------

He done pretty well post-Dallas, only missed 8 games out of 96 possible since he moved on. Thats decent given his position
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

------

He done pretty well post-Dallas, only missed 8 games out of 96 possible since he moved on. Thats decent given his position

Agree but his history when Dallas cut him made the move justified.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

------

Agree but his history when Dallas cut him made the move justified.
actually his last three years with Dallas were okay in terms of missed games, Only missed two. But that $6 mil per deal did him in. Also slowed by a hammie he didnt tell the Cowboy doctors about but it healed in the offseason
Assassin
So taking a look at DE, kudos to cowboy wire for mentioning some of this stuff.

So we know there are 3 right now. DLaw, Tyrone Crawford and Taco. Set in stone. We usually carry 6 , might be a stretch at 7.

So we have the draftee. Dorance Armstrong, 4th rounder. Odds are good that he lasts at least a season with that draft grade. Thats 4.

Datone Jones - his up and down the DL versatility will probably keep him on the roster. Thats 5.

Randy Gregory - really good shot to develop IF the NFL lets him play. When the Jones family likes you, you get a better chance to stick. Thats 6

Charles Tapper. All the talent to dominate but hurt. All the time. Only available for 2 games in 2 seasons. Very thin ice.

Kony Ealy - we took flyer on a kid that has consistently failed after a brief early flury. Didnt make the Pats roster and did very little with the Jets. Even thinner ice - add that releasing him might give us a extra 6th round in comp pick.

Assassin
We also have a new WR coach in Sanjay Lal. And with the new additions at WR, TWill and Beaz still could be moved. TWill wouldnt be released I dont think as doing that will accelerate his cap hit.
Assassin
Interesting tidbit from CW. Check out the three way too early 2019 mock draft picks;

Matt Miller Bleacher Report
19. Cowboys: Collin Johnson, WR, Texas
The Dallas Cowboys made interesting moves at wide receiver in the 2018 drafttrading Ryan Switzer to Oakland, acquiring Tavon Austin from Los Angeles, not selecting a receiver earlyand will head into the upcoming season with a need for a playmaker down the field. Texas' Collin Johnson at 6'6 can be the downfield weapon and red-zone nightmare the Cowboys so badly want. Johnson does need to improve upon his production from the last two seasons and prove to scouts he can run well enough to separate from NFL defenders, but his size and hands are already getting buzzed about as teams prepare for the upcoming college season.

Luke Easterling Draft Wire
19. Dallas Cowboys | Ahmmon Richards | WR | Miami (FL)
Michael Gallup was a strong pick in this year's third round, but Richards would be another great addition with impressive size and speed.

Charlie Campbell Walter Football
20. Dallas Cowboys: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
The Cowboys grab a big-play speed receiver for Dak Prescott. Brown is a fast wideout who is a threat to score anytime he catches a pass. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.2 yards per reception for 1,095 yards on 57 catches with seven touchdowns. Brown (5-11, 162) has a thin frame and needs to get stronger for the NFL. If he can maintain his speed while adding weight, he could be a dynamic wide receiver.
Assassin
Mike Fisher and Mickey Spagnola both mention that Jaylon Smith has been running full speed WITHOUT his knee brace for about 3 months now. Backpedaling as quickly as any of the LBs at the offseason workouts. No indication whatsoever of the dropfoot condition.

Assassin
Cowboys news: Will McClay says the film led to the Cowboys releasing Dez Bryant
By
SBNation
-
May 2, 2018

Will McClay says tape on Dez Bryant showed an inability to consistently win outside Clarence Hill, The Star-Telegram

Why did the Dallas Cowboys move on from Dez Bryant? Will McClay addressed that very topic on Tuesday.
Dallas Cowboys scouting chief Will McClay chimed in on the release of Dez Bryant publicly for the first time Tuesday on ESPN 103.3 FM.

McClay pointed to what the Cowboys saw on tape from Bryant during the 2017 season as reasons for his departure.

"It was a collective deal," McClay said. "The (inability) to win one-on-one, to win down field. There was inconsistency as well as some huge things in his play. So what's best moving forward for Dez Bryant the Cowboys, we just made that decision. It's a production-based business."

McClay said the decision was tough because of the love he and the Cowboys have for Bryant.
Assassin
ODDS TO WIN SUPER BOWL 53

New England Patriots
+500
Philadelphia Eagles
+800
Los Angeles Rams
+900
Pittsburgh Steelers
+1000
Minnesota Vikings
+1200
Green Bay Packers
+1200
San Francisco 49ers
+1500
New Orleans Saints
+2200
Houston Texans
+2500
Atlanta Falcons
+3000
Oakland Raiders
+3000
Dallas Cowboys
+3000
Denver Broncos
+3000
Seattle Seahawks
+3000
Carolina Panthers
+3500
Jacksonville Jaguars
+3500
Los Angeles Chargers
+3500
Kansas City Chiefs
+4000
Baltimore Ravens
+4000
Indianapolis Colts
+4000
Tennessee Titans
+4500
Detroit Lions
+6000
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
+6500
New York Giants
+7500
Washington Redskins
+8000
Arizona Cardinals
+8000
Buffalo Bills
+10000
Cleveland Browns
+10000
Miami Dolphins
+10000
Chicago Bears
+10000
Cincinnati Bengals
+10000
New York Jets
+10000
Odds as of May 1 at Bovada
Gust Avrakotos
Assassin said:

Cowboys news: Will McClay says the film led to the Cowboys releasing Dez Bryant
By
SBNation
-
May 2, 2018

Will McClay says tape on Dez Bryant showed an inability to consistently win outside Clarence Hill, The Star-Telegram

Why did the Dallas Cowboys move on from Dez Bryant? Will McClay addressed that very topic on Tuesday.
Dallas Cowboys scouting chief Will McClay chimed in on the release of Dez Bryant publicly for the first time Tuesday on ESPN 103.3 FM.

McClay pointed to what the Cowboys saw on tape from Bryant during the 2017 season as reasons for his departure.

"It was a collective deal," McClay said. "The (inability) to win one-on-one, to win down field. There was inconsistency as well as some huge things in his play. So what's best moving forward for Dez Bryant the Cowboys, we just made that decision. It's a production-based business."

McClay said the decision was tough because of the love he and the Cowboys have for Bryant.
Will McClay is my freaking hero. You mean to tell me that we now have scouts watching film of our own players, recognizing that their skills have declined and cutting them because of it?

We're finally getting this **** . We finally understand that this is a business. You don't hang on to a player for 5yrs waiting for them to come around and you don't hang onto veterans that are falling off. Call it cruel, call it what you want. I want to win Super Bowls and I'm getting the idea that the Cowboys may just want to do that as well.
Assassin
newly assigned jersey numbers;

- Leighton Vander Esch, #55
- Connor Williams, #52
- Michael Gallup, #13
- Dorance Armstrong, #74
- Dalton Schultz, #86
- Mike White, #3
- Chris Covington, #59
- Cedrick Wilson, #16
- Bo Scarbrough, #36
Assassin
Cowboys' Will McClay opens up about Dez decision, 2018 draft and what 'Dak-friendly' means to him - Katie Hairopoulos, SportsDay
Additionally, McClay discussed what "Dak-friendly" means.
Quote:

McClay: I don't think that the decision was made because of that. When we say Dak-friendly, really, it's Cowboys-friendly. It's finding guys that fit into what we do collectively on the offensive side of the ball. When we say Dak-friendly, we're looking for guys that will be in the right spot, doing their job, all that stuff, any position. It's not that Dez wasn't Dak-friendly, we're just looking for Dak-friendly from the standpoint of the health of the team, from a [salary] cap standpoint, competition and all that other stuff. I do know that Dak's most productive games have been when he spreads the ball out and not targeting one specific guy.
Does that mean not having a true No. 1 receiver?
Quote:

McClay: I think we have to, I mean because of the way of the NFL, the salary cap, the great players getting paid and all those things. Sometimes you can't do that from a cap standpoint. Everybody has to come into this league and prove their spot to be a No. 1 anyway, even guys that are drafted in the first round or whatever. There's times you go through the paces and the No. 1 will rise to the top if you've got good competition. For our offense and the way we want to do things, that just fits what we want to do right now.
Assassin
Mailbag: Bringing Back Former Cowboys? - David Helman & Bryan Broaddus, Dallas Cowboys
A reader wonders whether there's any interest in bringing back recently released former Cowboys J.J. Wilcox or Terrell McClain.
Quote:

Bryan: I feel like there is a chance on McClain but not really sure about Wilcox? Hearing whispers they'd like to see what they have in Showers since he's been here now for a few seasons.

David
: I'd be very interested to bring back McClain, assuming the two sides can agree on a price. He can play both defensive tackle positions, and he was a big part of the locker room culture back in 2016. I don't feel as strongly about Wilcox but it would be nice to fill out that depth chart with a veteran.
Assassin
Will McClay was asked about the Texans begging him to become their GM and staying on Dallas,

McClay:
Quote:

It's home. It's family. And we're building something. And the No. 1 goal is to get the boss another Super Bowl and be a part of it. There's no greater place to be a part of it than here.
Assassin
Assassin
Which Cowboys draft pick do you feel is the surest bet to have a 10-year NFL career?

Newy Scruggs;

Quote:

Mike White. Yes, quarterback Mike White has a chance to be a 10-NFL veteran. He can spin it. A decent signal caller with his size and skill can spend a decade in the league. Look at Drew Stanton, Josh McCown, Matt Cassel, Chad Henne, Matt Moore and Chase Daniel are examples of guys who have kept jobs in the NFL.

I think Mike White will be on a NFL roster in 2028.
Assassin
Have the Cowboys given up on Rico Gathers?

Newy Scruggs

Quote:

No. The Cowboys will give Rico Gathers and opportunity to show his skills but he has yet to doing anything significant in a regular season game. It doesn't have some long college resume of production so they can hope he improves but Dalton Schultz was drafted in the fourth round and might start if Witten does retire.

Gathers is a hope. The team hopes he can become a contributor. They hope he can be the next Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates, guys who were former college hoops players like Gathers. I prefer to deal in reality instead of hope.

Gathers will need to show the coaching staff something this season or they may cut bait with him after the 2018 season.

As of now, the Cowboys have not given up on Gathers.
Gust Avrakotos
Leyton Vander Esch must be a Lee Roy Jordan fan.
Assassin
The Cowboys offensive line has combined for 13 Pro Bowl appearances, five first-team All-Pro seasons, and six second-team All-Pro seasons. It features three former first-round picks in Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin, an undrafted free agent in La'el Collins who was widely held to be a first-round talent, and now 2018 second-round pick Connor Williams.

And when the Cowboys kick off the 2018 season on September 9 against the Carolina Panthers, this will likely be the Cowboys' starting line-up:

Tyron Smith (27) Connor Williams (20) Travis Frederick (27) Zack Martin (27) La'El Collins (25)

This lineup will have an average age of 25.8 on opening day of the 2018 NFL season, which makes it the youngest O-line in the NFL. If you're not a Cowboys fan, that's got to be a scary thought.
Franko
Assassin said:

The Cowboys offensive line has combined for 13 Pro Bowl appearances, five first-team All-Pro seasons, and six second-team All-Pro seasons. It features three former first-round picks in Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin, an undrafted free agent in La'el Collins who was widely held to be a first-round talent, and now 2018 second-round pick Connor Williams.

And when the Cowboys kick off the 2018 season on September 9 against the Carolina Panthers, this will likely be the Cowboys' starting line-up:

Tyron Smith (27) Connor Williams (20) Travis Frederick (27) Zack Martin (27) La'El Collins (25)

This lineup will have an average age of 25.8 on opening day of the 2018 NFL season, which makes it the youngest O-line in the NFL. If you're not a Cowboys fan, that's got to be a scary thought.
Yep. Assuming Tyron's back is healthy, the OL will be much better than last year. Williams is a significant upgrade over Cooper (I think). Collins needs to show improvement, but with another year under his belt at tackle, I am optimistic.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Gust Avrakotos said:

not sure if he asked for 55 or it was assigned. But its a great number
Assassin
Franko said:

Assassin said:

Yep. Assuming Tyron's back is healthy, the OL will be much better than last year. Williams is a significant upgrade over Cooper (I think). Collins needs to show improvement, but with another year under his belt at tackle, I am optimistic.
Me too. I think grabbing Williams gives us an option to kick to LT if Smiths back acts up
GoldMind
What is Dat Nguyen doing these days?
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

What is Dat Nguyen doing these days?
Who Dat?
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

- Connor Williams, #52
- Michael Gallup, #13
- Dorance Armstrong, #74
- Dalton Schultz, #86
- Mike White, #3
- Chris Covington, #59
- Cedrick Wilson, #16
- Bo Scarbrough, #36
88 should be retired
Wichitabear
Gust Avrakotos said:

I know I was.
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

Will McClay was asked about the Texans begging him to become their GM and staying on Dallas,

McClay:
Quote:

It's home. It's family. And we're building something. And the No. 1 goal is to get the boss another Super Bowl and be a part of it. There's no greater place to be a part of it than here.

So true
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

- Connor Williams, #52
- Michael Gallup, #13
- Dorance Armstrong, #74
- Dalton Schultz, #86
- Mike White, #3
- Chris Covington, #59
- Cedrick Wilson, #16
- Bo Scarbrough, #36
88 should be retired
Apparently its on hold for a while. Lots of - Pearson, Irvin and Bryant. Dang....
Franko
Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

- Connor Williams, #52
- Michael Gallup, #13
- Dorance Armstrong, #74
- Dalton Schultz, #86
- Mike White, #3
- Chris Covington, #59
- Cedrick Wilson, #16
- Bo Scarbrough, #36
88 should be retired
Apparently its on hold for a while. Lots of - Pearson, Irvin and Bryant. Dang....
Don't forget Bryant - the other one.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

- Connor Williams, #52
- Michael Gallup, #13
- Dorance Armstrong, #74
- Dalton Schultz, #86
- Mike White, #3
- Chris Covington, #59
- Cedrick Wilson, #16
- Bo Scarbrough, #36
88 should be retired
Don't forget Bryant - the other one.

Assassin
[url=https://twitter.com/1053SS][/url]Shan Shariff@1053SS

Quote:

I can now report that while on the clock, the #Cowboys offered their 3rd round to Seattle for Earl Thomas. They turned in the pick for Gallup when they didn't hear back.

A Dallas radio host tweeted that the Cowboys did indeed put an offer in for the Seahawks safety, but after Seattle didn't respond, Dallas used its selection on wide receiver Michael Gallup in the third round.
First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 851

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.