Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,051,678 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
interesting story about Sanjay Lal. As far as I know, our first Indian coach:
---
Inside story behind the Cowboys' new route-guru WRs coach, and his plan to revamp the receiving corps
By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon Georgeon Twitter:@DMN_George

FRISCO -- Sanjay Lal's love for football began as innocently as any other junior high student, under the Texas sun in the backyards of Plano.

His passion for the Cowboys, however, didn't start as innocuously.

Lal, the Cowboys' new receivers coach tasked with rebuilding a unit without No. 1 target Dez Bryant, moved to the U.S. in the mid-1980s with his family to Plano.

One of the first NFL coaches of Indian descent, he was born in England and also lived in Iran, Kuwait and Mexico City before attending Haggard Middle School in Plano as a seventh-grader.

Lal said his first experience in the U.S. was quite the culture shock.

"Very much so," he said, smiling. "You can imagine. I don't need to tell you any stories."

When pushed, Lal did recall one story that hasn't left him since his early days in Texas.

"The funny one is, so I didn't know anything about fashion or anything, I just went to school," he said. "But mom took me to Sears to buy some school clothes, and I saw these Dallas Cowboys corduroy jeans that had a Cowboys patch on the back. I thought, 'Well, if I get these, kids are going to like me on the first day.'

"Well, that was the wrong choice. They didn't like the jeans and basically killed me about it. I got acclimated fast, though."

Lal said he quickly grew fond of the Cowboys -- despite the corduroy jeans misstep -- and has long admired the franchise because it's a family-run organization.

Now, he's a part of it all, hired in January to replace Derek Dooley, who left after five seasons to become Missouri's offensive coordinator.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he's less concerned about overhauling the club's receiver corps this offseason because of Lal, who was hired with a reputation as one of the league's top route gurus.

"He's a real find for us," Jones said. "He was one of the most sought-after assistant coaches in the offseason that I've seen in a long time."

Lal's father, a systems analyst, was born in Tanzania and moved to India with his family when he was 17. His father met his mother -- a Montessori teacher -- in India, and they moved to London after they married. Lal's extensive travels helped him become multilingual. At different times, he spoke Hindi and Spanish and could understand Arabic.

"My family had no background in football," Lal said. "I don't think they even knew what football was until I started playing it. When we got to Plano, we'd play in the backyards or the front lawns. We'd play football every day. I started reading about all the players and just loved football. And I could catch, so they liked me."

After three years in Plano, Lal moved with his family to Northern California and finished high school there.

Lal knows the ins and outs of receiver because he played the position. He was a walk-on at UCLA and a member of the Bruins' Cotton Bowl championship team in 1989. He then transferred to Washington, where he played for the Huskies from 1990 to 1992. He was part of Washington's national title team in 1992 and played on two Rose Bowl teams en route to being inducted into the Husky Hall of Fame.

Lal graduated with a business administration degree from Washington in 1993 and was invited to the Raiders' training camp. He also spent time with the St. Louis Rams before hamstring injuries derailed any chance of a pro career.

Lal spent 11 years coaching in the high school and college ranks before the Raiders gave him his first NFL opportunity in 2007 as the offensive quality control coach.

Two years later, the Raiders made Lal their receivers coach. From 2012 to 2014 he was the Jets' receivers coach, from 2015 to 2016 the Bills' receivers coach and then he became the Colts' receivers coach in 2017 before joining the Cowboys.

Lal's cerebral approach to coaching is a mix of his parents' paths, calculated and detailed, and he's a teacher at heart.

Lal cares about the finer details of routes, from how to line up in a proper stance, to finding the right depth, to maximizing leverage, to camouflaging a forthcoming break, and so on.

"It's choreography," Lal said of route running. "If you have a free-access look, you can't be thinking about yards and depth. This has to be muscle memory. We're working our footwork, our angles, how far our feet spread apart at the top of a break, where our shoulders are, where our eyes are pointed, and you've got to coach the minutia or it doesn't happen.

"We film from all different angles, and we go in the room and we watch them. We say, 'Hey, your left foot was pointed the wrong way. Turn your toe in a little bit and that will bring you out of this break more efficiently.' So, really breaking down the game for these receivers and teaching them and understanding leverage, how far do I have to sync my hips to take enough speed off my next step ... so coaching the physics of it. Once they can self-correct, then you've got a real good shot."

New Cowboys receivers Allen Hurns and Tavon Austin said they appreciate Lal already for how detailed he is and for his teaching style. Austin said he's one of the receivers who Lal's already harping on about setting his feet just right in his stance.

"He's real precise on what he wants," Austin said. "He is always trying to help us by putting tools in our basket about how to get open. So I definitely like him. He just doesn't tell you, he shows you. He'll take us on every step we're doing right or we're doing wrong. I love him so far."

Lal said he evaluated every Cowboys receiver from 2017 upon his hiring, breaking down strengths and weaknesses, and then went to work.

"My goal, I take pride in, 'They say he can't run this route,' " Lal said. "Well, that's not going to be the case anymore. We're going to coach it, and he's going to be able to run the comeback even though they said he can't."

Lal said he doesn't want to box in any receiver.

"I don't, because I was always boxed in," Lal said. "And I did not like that, and I fought through it. They said I couldn't do anything: 'You can't play, you can't coach, you can't do anything. What are you thinking?' So, I was like, 'I know what I'm doing.' "

Lal has already made an impression on Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

"I can already see a lot of things out here that are a direct impact of what he's teaching," Linehan said. "He just kind of gets the position. He played it. He was one of those, I don't want to call him an overachiever type, but he was one of those guys who had to get the most out of his own abilities. He sees that in players who have the ability beyond that. He's been great."

This is Lal's fourth NFL team in five years, but he said he's right where he wants to be.

"It's been a dream to coach for this team," Lal said. "I always wanted to work here. It was like a no-brainer for me. It's been a pleasure so far."

Twitter: @DMN_George
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Gust Avrakotos
Assassin said:

Now this could be fantastic. We have to consider that Irving could have a great year and might price himself out of our range in a big contract after the season

The Cowboys acquired Ward for Ryan Switzer in a draft-day trade that angered many Cowboys fans who gravitated towards the diminuitive receiver. From the early look of things, the Cowboys may have made the wise decision. Former NFL scout and Cowboys' analyst Bryan Broaddus has been singing the praises of Ward through the OTA sessions. ESPN's Todd Archer chimed in with praise as well.

Broadus/Archer on Jihad Ward:

Quote:

It's tremendously early and you never want to make huge judgments about line play when players are not in pads, but I wonder if the Cowboys have found something in defensive tackle Jihad Ward Ward was a disappointment in Oakland, but the Cowboys coached him in the Senior Bowl and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was/is a big fan. Through the two OTAs we've seen, Ward has been active and moves well. Marinelli has a way of getting the most out of defensive linemen, and Ward might be the next one, but there always has to be a bit of caution until the pads come on in training camp.

Ward has the ability to play both tackle positions and the absence of 1-tech Maliek Collins and 3-tech David Irving has given him plenty of opportunities. As Archer cautioned, things change when the pads come on but sometimes a trade is enough to jolt a player into realizing his lifelong dream of playing in the league is starting to slip away. If Ward has his act together, the Cowboys defensive line has another strong building block.

We got nothing out of Switzer but a punt return. If this guy can turn into a productive DL, it was worth the gamble. Especially with oft injured Collins and head case Irving.
Assassin
Gust Avrakotos said:

Assassin said:

Now this could be fantastic. We have to consider that Irving could have a great year and might price himself out of our range in a big contract after the season

The Cowboys acquired Ward for Ryan Switzer in a draft-day trade that angered many Cowboys fans who gravitated towards the diminuitive receiver. From the early look of things, the Cowboys may have made the wise decision. Former NFL scout and Cowboys' analyst Bryan Broaddus has been singing the praises of Ward through the OTA sessions. ESPN's Todd Archer chimed in with praise as well.

Quote:

It's tremendously early and you never want to make huge judgments about line play when players are not in pads, but I wonder if the Cowboys have found something in defensive tackle Jihad Ward Ward was a disappointment in Oakland, but the Cowboys coached him in the Senior Bowl and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was/is a big fan. Through the two OTAs we've seen, Ward has been active and moves well. Marinelli has a way of getting the most out of defensive linemen, and Ward might be the next one, but there always has to be a bit of caution until the pads come on in training camp.

Ward has the ability to play both tackle positions and the absence of 1-tech Maliek Collins and 3-tech David Irving has given him plenty of opportunities. As Archer cautioned, things change when the pads come on but sometimes a trade is enough to jolt a player into realizing his lifelong dream of playing in the league is starting to slip away. If Ward has his act together, the Cowboys defensive line has another strong building block.

We got nothing out of Switzer but a punt return. If this guy can turn into a productive DL, it was worth the gamble. Especially with oft injured Collins and head case Irving.
I thought Switzer had a lot of upside. However I am guessing that the Cowboys saw some things in practice they werent that thrilled with.

And they also might have known that Irving had a good chance of being suspended.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
BearForce
Assassin said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Assassin said:

Quote:

I thought Switzer had a lot of upside. However I am guessing that the Cowboys saw some things in practice they werent that thrilled with.

And they also might have known that Irving had a good chance of being suspended.

I don't give this staff any benefit on that point. I still think they didn't give him a chance because they don't like playing young guys, just like they wouldn't go with Cooper Rush as the #2 until they had to in order to avoid public embarrassment, or if you remember they didnt want to put Irving out on the field full time until again backed into a corner.

And oh by the way given Collins history as well as the hesitation with Irving, I would say they should have drafted a DT in addition to trading for the savior Jihad.
Assassin
BearForce said:

I don't give this staff any benefit on that point. I still think they didn't give him a chance because they don't like playing young guys, just like they wouldn't go with Cooper Rush as the #2 until they had to in order to avoid public embarrassment, or if you remember they didnt want to put Irving out on the field full time until again backed into a corner.

And oh by the way given Collins history as well as the hesitation with Irving, I would say they should have drafted a DT in addition to trading for the savior Jihad.
well, we got what we got. Doubt there will be a lot of changes unless something works out on Earl Thomas which is kinda doubtful now.
Wichitabear
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

well, we got what we got. Doubt there will be a lot of changes unless something works out on Earl Thomas which is kinda doubtful now.

Agree...but not sure we needed at this point another QB or a project at LB over another DT who could play 1 and 3 tec
Franko
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Depends on how long he holds out. I seriously doubt Thomas would miss games over a contract dispute. But if Seattle plays hardball and makes him report with no new contract, he surely walks at the end of the year. If that happens, Seattle gets nothing other than a late third round compensatory pick (essentially a 4th round pick). Knowing this, they may decide to trade him for a third. And as I mentioned earlier, Dallas now has plenty of cap room to sign him, and it's an area of need. It just makes too much sense for both sides to work out a deal.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
baylorrific
It is a highly limited sample, but on All or Nothing, Switzer didn't appear that mature.
BearForce
baylorrific said:

It is a highly limited sample, but on All or Nothing, Switzer didn't appear that mature.
Very few rookies do, depending on what you mean by mature, and given the research the scouts do in preparation for the draft, that shouldn't have been a surprise.
Assassin
baylorrific said:

kinda got the impression he was one of the super hyper ultra-quick twitch types. They are 100mph all the time.
Mitch Blood Green
Assassin said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Assassin said:

Quote:

I can't see a place for Switzer, Austin and Beasley. All similar and all tiny.
Assassin
tommie said:

Assassin said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I can't see a place for Switzer, Austin and Beasley. All similar and all tiny.
whats crazy is they like Austin in and out of the backfield. Could be the best fit for Daks skills yet
Assassin
DallasCowboys.com's David Helman does not expect the Cowboys to re-sign suspended DL David Irving.
Playing on a one-year RFA tender, Irving might have had a chance to earn a long-term deal with a big season, but yet another four-game suspension seems to have closed that door. Helman thinks it is "highly unlikely" Dallas offers Irving a long-term deal and guesses they move on after the season. Irving has 11 sacks in 23 games the last two seasons.

Source: dallascowboys.com
Jun 18 - 11:46 AM
Wichitabear
What a waste of life and time for our cowboys.
BearForce
Assassin said:

DallasCowboys.com's David Helman does not expect the Cowboys to re-sign suspended DL David Irving.
Playing on a one-year RFA tender, Irving might have had a chance to earn a long-term deal with a big season, but yet another four-game suspension seems to have closed that door. Helman thinks it is "highly unlikely" Dallas offers Irving a long-term deal and guesses they move on after the season. Irving has 11 sacks in 23 games the last two seasons.

Source: dallascowboys.com
Jun 18 - 11:46 AM

Sadly, the absolutely correct move.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

What a waste of life and time.

FIFY...we still get his sacks for 12 games but he has royally screwed his future earning potential.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

What a waste of life and time.

FIFY...we still get his sacks for 12 games but he has royally screwed his future earning potential.
no kiddin
Assassin
stupid, stupid, stupid kids... http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/06/19/son-former-cowboys-player-arrested-mesquite-texas-double-murder/
Wichitabear
Wow. Really sad. Just throwing their life away. I will never understand this
Assassin
Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports Allen Hurns was the team's "clear-cut" No. 1 receiver throughout spring practices.
As expected. Hurns inked a two-year, $12 million pact after his release from Jacksonville, and the Cowboys then released Dez Bryant while failing to re-sign Brice Butler. It leaves Hurns as the default top wideout, followed by Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, and rookie Michael Gallup in whichever order. In an offense that figures to lean on Ezekiel Elliott as much as Elliott's body will allow, maybe only one of these receivers will provide steady fantasy value.

Source: Marcus Mosher on Twitter
Jun 20 - 9:43 AM
Assassin
Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports second-year UDFA Blake Jarwin worked as Dallas' No. 1 tight end during OTAs and minicamp.
According to Mosher, Rico Gathers "barely gets any snaps in practice." Gathers hasn't played a single snap since being drafted in 2016 but flashed big-time potential last preseason only for the Cowboys to ask him to bulk up and improve his blocking this year. It sounds like Jarwin is the preferred pass-catching option, with Gathers competing for snaps as an in-line blocker. Jarwin showed some Jacob Tamme-esque traits as a walk-on at Oklahoma State.
Related: Rico Gathers

Source: Marcus Mosher on Twitter
Jun 20 - 9:39 AM
Assassin
ESPN's Brady Henderson writes "there has been nothing to indicate" the Seahawks will give Earl Thomas an extension this summer.
Thomas skipped mandatory minicamp and threatened to continue the holdout into training camp if the Seahawks do not address his contract, but Henderson reports the two sides are not currently negotiating. A trade could end up being the best option for both Thomas and the Seahawks, but it is unclear if a deal is out there. Seemingly Thomas' preferred destination, the Cowboys had legitimate interest before the draft.

Source: ESPN
Jun 21 - 9:55 AM
Assassin
would love to get this kid in here off waivers;

Vikings waived/injured DE Hercules Mata'afa.
He'll revert to IR. An undrafted free agent, Mata'afa was having a strong offseason before ACL surgery. He should compete for a 2018 roster spot.

Jun 20 - 6:23 PM
Wichitabear
Can y'all believe that jerk Winston got only a 3 game suspension. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Can y'all believe that jerk Winston got only a 3 game suspension. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair
Its the Bucs. If they got as much Tv time as Dallas, it probably would be a full year. The price we pay...
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

His suspension so far is for not reporting it in a timely manner. He may still get the business for the actual act itself.
BearForce
BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

His suspension so far is for not reporting it in a timely manner. He may still get the business for the actual act itself.

So I stand corrected, it looks like it is for the conduct/act itself. Its crap but Winston also cut a deal so it goes to show he has no principles.
Wichitabear
No he never has had any principles. They let him get by with so much in college. I just don't want it to be that way For him in the pros. Especially when other players don't seem too.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

No he never has had any principles. They let him get by with so much in college. I just don't want it to be that way For him in the pros. Especially when other players don't seem too.

Agree...Zeke got hammered for not taking the a deal, and likely being innocent
BearForce
Shaq Lawson possibly on the market...I'd kick those tires. Loved him out if Clemson and at least has excelled as a run stopper.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/6/22/17485504/should-dallas-cowboys-take-a-look-at-former-first-round-pick-shaq-lawson
Assassin
BearForce said:

Shaq Lawson possibly on the market...I'd kick those tires. Loved him out if Clemson and at least has excelled as a run stopper.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/6/22/17485504/should-dallas-cowboys-take-a-look-at-former-first-round-pick-shaq-lawson

In two years hes been on PUP twice, shoulder, both ankles, groin and knee surgery
Wichitabear
Ok maybe not.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

In two years hes been on PUP twice, shoulder, both ankles, groin and knee surgery

And still has 5 more sacks than Jihad...in 10 less games.

Kick the tires man...
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

And still has 5 more sacks than Jihad...in 10 less games.

Kick the tires man...
just saying. If he's gonna take up a spot on the 53, then we need to be able to count on him to play, not go on PUP.

If kicking the tires puts him on PUP, probably not a good idea. If he survives kicking the tires, then yes, sounds good. I

We were both fans of his coming out of college if you remember
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.