Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,093,286 Views | 29773 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by BearkatBear
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assassin said:

When Lawrence was asked about a possible reunion between Bryant and the Cowboys, he made it quite clear that it would be welcomed. "If 88, the X factor, wants a shot we gotta give him a shot. Cowboys are home to Dez and he's always accepted in my book." In a follow up question of who he would like the Cowboys to add to the teams roster next season, once again, Lawrence sided with Bryant, "I'd say bring Dez Bryant back. 88 is always welcome here."
GoldMind
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

When Lawrence was asked about a possible reunion between Bryant and the Cowboys, he made it quite clear that it would be welcomed. "If 88, the X factor, wants a shot we gotta give him a shot. Cowboys are home to Dez and he's always accepted in my book." In a follow up question of who he would like the Cowboys to add to the teams roster next season, once again, Lawrence sided with Bryant, "I'd say bring Dez Bryant back. 88 is always welcome here."

2faced. Cowboys are home, but only if his agent lets it happen. They forget real quick that places are home for a price.
Assassin
geez, how much does Dak want? Dallas has already offered Top 5, and I think gone up two or three times
---------------------
With no long-term contract in sight, the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are heading straight toward a situation in which the team will have to use its franchise tag on the star quarterback, league sources told ESPN.
At this point, the franchise tag looks inevitable, according to sources, although neither side wants the tag to come into play. Dallas strongly prefers a long-term agreement, and it will continue to push to sign Prescott to an extension in the coming weeks. Prescott, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month, also wants a long-term deal.
But the sides disagree over the two-time Pro Bowler's value, leaving them at an impasse.
BearForce
Assassin said:

geez, how much does Dak want? Dallas has already offered Top 5, and I think gone up two or three times
---------------------
With no long-term contract in sight, the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are heading straight toward a situation in which the team will have to use its franchise tag on the star quarterback, league sources told ESPN.
At this point, the franchise tag looks inevitable, according to sources, although neither side wants the tag to come into play. Dallas strongly prefers a long-term agreement, and it will continue to push to sign Prescott to an extension in the coming weeks. Prescott, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month, also wants a long-term deal.
But the sides disagree over the two-time Pro Bowler's value, leaving them at an impasse.

I'm betting its the length of the contract. Dak likely wants to go back to the table in 3 to 4 years whereas Jones probably is shooting for a longer term which then puts you in a discussion about the money and how to account for QB market inflation.
Assassin
Referee Bill Vinovich ended up asking two @Chiefs captains if they wanted the ball, or to kick, after the @49ers won the toss and deferred. That could have been trouble! Remember what happened during Rams-Cowboys during the regular season
Assassin
Not sure that I see a great deal of talent separation between us and KC
BearForce
Assassin said:

Until a few weeks ago I did...on the sidelines
BearForce
17: R1P17
EDGE K'LAVON CHAISSON
LSU

51: R2P19
TE COLE KMET
NOTRE DAME

82: R3P18
WR GABRIEL DAVIS
UCF

120: R4P17
S JULIAN BLACKMON
UTAH

164: R5P18
CB HARRISON HAND
TEMPLE

179: R5P33
DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

231: R7P17
CB LUQ BARCOO
SAN DIEGO STATE
trey3216
Assassin said:

We have no one that can stretch the field vertically as well as the Hill/Watkins combo, and I'm not trying to denigrate Gallup/Cooper. That and we are way behind them at the TE/QB
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I think things have changed now. Remember that until last night Andy Reid held the record for most playoffs without winning the big one.

McCarthy is very similar to Reid. Plus this is a kickass staff.

Hopefully they get a deal done with Dak prior to offseason workouts. It really burns me when someone is getting offered that much money with the idea that the pie is only so big, every bit of it will be spent, but 'my slice needs to be so big or so long that other folks can't get theirs'.

How much money do you need?

Assassin
trey3216 said:

Assassin said:

We have no one that can stretch the field vertically as well as the Hill/Watkins combo, and I'm not trying to denigrate Gallup/Cooper. That and we are way behind them at the TE/QB
But the gap between our backup RB and their starters is vast. Not to mention the All Pro, All World guy that starts.

And our OL, even as beatup as they are, is superior to the KC OL.

If our LBs are healthy, ours are better. Our DBs are not. I have no idea who our DL will be so I think you give it to them
GoldMind
Last night was cool, but I think we all know that should have been Americas Team out there playing.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Last night was cool, but I think we all know that should have been Americas Team out there playing.
no kidding
Assassin
I wish someone would send this to Dak. Brady figured out a long time ago that the 'goodwill' from the public coming from taking less, would actually put a heck of a lot more money into his pocket.
----------------
NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports impending free agent Tom Brady is not "demanding" $30 million annually from the Patriots.
Brady has often settled for below-market deals to ensure the Patriots have had the cap space necessary to address other needs, though he may be looking to cash in at this late juncture in his career. However, the bigger priority for Brady is adding "weapons" as the 42-year-old apparently didn't feel his supporting cast was strong enough in 2019. It's hard to argue with that assessment as the Patriots' pass-catching corps this past season was among the weakest he's had in New England, featuring veteran slot receiver Julian Edelman (who was noticeably slowed by a slew of late-season injuries) and not much else. Staying in Foxboro still makes the most sense for Brady from a football standpoint, though he could leverage the Pats by taking meetings elsewhere when free agency begins in mid-March.
SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter
Feb 3, 2020, 9:27 AM ET
UBBY
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I think things have changed now. Remember that until last night Andy Reid held the record for most playoffs without winning the big one.

Hopefully they get a deal done with Dak prior to offseason workouts. It really burns me when someone is getting offered that much money with the idea that the pie is only so big, every bit of it will be spent, but 'my slice needs to be so big or so long that other folks can't get theirs'.

Players don't look at it that way. Dak wants what he's worth. He feels like he's worth top dollar. He wants to make as much as he can while he can since nothing is given as far as injuries. He also sees the salary cap moving up every year and feels it won't hurt them too much in the long run.

Now you could also look at it as greed taking over. It's funny no one ever talks about that part. It's probably a mixture of both.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Players don't look at it that way. Dak wants what he's worth. He feels like he's worth top dollar. He wants to make as much as he can while he can since nothing is given as far as injuries. He also sees the salary cap moving up every year and feels it won't hurt them too much in the long run.

Now you could also look at it as greed taking over. It's funny no one ever talks about that part. It's probably a mixture of both.
I understand they dont think of it that way, but someday they will look back and realize that their greed cost them that Defensive back that might have had an INT to win the Superbowl.

Brady gets it. Thats why he keeps cutting team friendly deals. He has all the money that the entire New England whaling fleet needs for a lifetime.

As far as injuries. These guys made more in year one than the normal college grad makes out of college for a decade. By playing a game, not working their ass off in a classroom (I was one of them, 3 years of college ball with a lot of mispent time) like most of you college graduates did. As someone that didnt do that diligence, I can tell you that many times in later life I wish I had. Especially now that I am investing.

Machiavelli
UBBY said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

He's going to make more than he can ever spend either way. I think Jerry would be a fool to sign him to a top dollar deal before we know what the new CBA looks like. There very well could be a QB cap. That makes so much sense and the pushback would likely be so small, it's easy to imagine that happening. No reason at all to rush into something, especially with the tag to fall back on.
BearForce
Assassin said:

UBBY said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I understand they dont think of it that way, but someday they will look back and realize that their greed cost them that Defensive back that might have had an INT to win the Superbowl.

Brady gets it. Thats why he keeps cutting team friendly deals. He has all the money that the entire New England whaling fleet needs for a lifetime.

As far as injuries. These guys made more in year one than the normal college grad makes out of college for a decade. By playing a game, not working their ass off in a classroom (I was one of them, 3 years of college ball with a lot of mispent time) like most of you college graduates did. As someone that didnt do that diligence, I can tell you that many times in later life I wish I had. Especially now that I am investing.

[Playing devil's advocate]
Then again we have had Dak for dirt cheap compared to his production and didn't get that guy, such as Earl Thomas, so why should he give a hometown discount and think things will change?

Why would he take less if he can get his terms on the open market?

Why didn't Dallas get this done a year ago and not drag it into a free agency year for Dak?
UBBY
Assassin said:

UBBY said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I'm not 100% sure what Dak is thinking but I think it goes back to what I said. He wants what he thinks he's worth and the salary cap. At the end of the day he wants his money for giving them high productivity as a 4th round draft pick on an extremely small salary (NFL wise). Even with Brady giving "team friendly" deals he's been extremely fortunate for how Belichick cobbled together and coached some of those highly successful teams. It's not like he wasn't greedy also or he wouldn't also take endorsements. Team friendly deals aren't a guarantee of success. 99% of players aren't going to take team friendly deals the first time around.
Assassin
I'm a big fan of the players who want all those big bucks, also share in the shortfalls. If the club loses money, not only do they not get paid, they gotta chip in.

Let them understand what it means to run a business and the headaches that come with it.

BearForce
Assassin said:

I'm a big fan of the players who want all those big bucks, also share in the shortfalls. If the club loses money, not only do they not get paid, they gotta chip in.

Let them understand what it means to run a business and the headaches that come with it.

Stop yelling at the clouds.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Stop yelling at the clouds.
Is it okay to bark at the moon still?

Wichitabear
Definitely is. He's fortunate to make what he makes.
Assassin
February 3
Waiver system begins for 2020. Vested veterans don't need to pass through waiver wire anymore. Waiver claim order set in reverse draft order.

February 24 - March 2
NFL Scouting Combine

February 25
First day for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 10
Prior to 4:00 pm, deadline for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 16 - March 18
Legal "tampering" window, where teams can contact the agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents at the beginning of the next season

March 18 - Start of the new league year
Prior to 4:00 pm, teams must exercise 2020 contract options on players with option clauses. Teams must submit qualifying offers to Restricted Free Agents. Teams must submit minimum salary offers to retain Exclusive Restricted Free Agents. Teams must be under the 2020 salary cap by the Top 51 rule (the 51 most expensive cap values on the roster).
2020 league year and free agency period begins at 4:00 pm.
Trading period for 2020 begins at 4:00 pm.

March 29 - April 2
Annual League Meeting

April 6
Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2019 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 17
Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets

April 20
Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 23 - April 25
2020 NFL Draft

May 1 - May 4 or May 8 - May 11
Clubs may hold their three-day rookie minicamp during one of these two times.

May 11
Rookie football development programs begin.

May 14 - May 17
NFLPA Rookie premiere. Invited rookies (typically first- and/or second-round picks) must be excused from OTAs or other workouts to attend.

May 19 - May 20
Spring League Meeting

June 1
Deadline for teams to send "June 1st tender" to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer, in order for that player to be subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement's "June 15 Tender" provision.

June 2
For any player removed from the club's roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2020 league year.

June 15
Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting "June 15 Tender" of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player's prior-year salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Late June
Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs.

July 15
Deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign that player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may only sign a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2020 season, and the contract cannot be extended until after the club's final regular-season game.
Mid-July
Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies beginning seven days prior to the club's earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or "injured players" (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club's preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club's first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.
Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club's preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players
A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club's roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22nd
Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 pm on the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

August 6
Hall of Fame Game, Canton Ohio

August 6 - August 9
Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton Ohio

August 11
Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to accrue a season for free agency.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2020, and may sign a contract only with the drafting club until the day of the 2021 NFL Draft.

September 5
Prior to 4:00 pm, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players.
Simultaneously, clubs with players on the Physically Unable to Perform list or the Non Football Injury/Illness list must choose from one of the following options for each player:
  • Place player on the Reserve/PUP or Reserve/NFI list
  • Waive the player
  • Terminate contract
  • Trade contract
  • Continue to count the player as an active member of the roster

September 6
Waiver claim period for players released from rosters ends at 12:00 pm.
Clubs may establish a ten-man practice squad, or 11 if participating in the International Player Development Program.

September 10
At 12:00 am, the Top 51 Salary Cap rule expires for all clubs.

September 10, September 13 - September 14
Regular Season Week 1
GoldMind
If Dak does hit the free agent market, you think he's get $200 mil somewhere?
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Could you imagine what the Redskins would pay him just to rub it in our faces?
GoldMind
Assassin said:

GoldMind said:

Could you imagine what the Redskins would pay him just to rub it in our faces?

Buuuuggghhh
Machiavelli
GoldMind said:

Anybody in their right mind would give him $200mm. The only sticking points would be guarantee and duration.
BearForce
Machiavelli said:

GoldMind said:

Anybody in their right mind would give him $200mm. The only sticking points would be guarantee and duration.
yep, 200M over 5 years is 40M per, which is not totally out of bounds at this point given the contract length.
GoldMind
I don't know how this is even an issue in Jerry's mind.
Assassin
I forgot all about this until watching 'the show' last night

There is no intent to make this political, just Roger. This is a great honor

Wichitabear
This is a great honor. I'm proud of Roger S!
Assassin
Matt Miller's 7-round Picks for the Dallas Cowboys
Round 1, Pick 17 C. J. Henderson, CB, Florida
Round 2, Pick 51 James Lynch, DL, Baylor
Round 3, Pick 82 Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Round 4, Pick 120 Jason Strowbridge, EDGE, North Carolina
Round 5, Pick 165 Geno Stone, S, Iowa
*Round 5, Pick 180 Debione Renfro, S, Texas A&M
Round 7, Pick 232 Reggie Robinson II, S, Tulsa
* denotes potential compensatory pick
BearForce
Assassin said:

The end of that draft makes no sense though I have heard that Robinson may be a CB.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

The end of that draft makes no sense though I have heard that Robinson may be a CB.
I have no problem with 3 S if there is a Special Teams ace there plus 2 rotational S/CBs. My guess is that is his thinking
First Page Last Page
Page 394 of 851

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.