Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,093,287 Views | 29773 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by BearkatBear
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Franko said:

With the criminal charges against Deandre Baker dropped, the Cowboys should sign him immediately. We could really use a first round CB. Plus, he's probably going to be able to keep the guaranteed money he got from the Giants, so he might even agree to a cheaper deal than he otherwise would.
wow.

Cowboys have a history with lots of ups and downs acquiring players like him.

Last year Pat Shurmur called him out in front of the team for a lack of effort. Baker finished his rookie season with 55 tackles and no interceptions. ESPN

draft outlook;

Strengths:
  • Man-cover corner
  • Adept at not allowing separation
  • Prevents separation; runs the route
  • Excellent ability to stay in his pedal
  • Transitions well
  • Good instincts
  • Can run with receivers
  • Athletic
  • Can cover up big receivers
  • Sits on routes and challenges receivers
  • Physical; will battle receivers
  • Confident; has the man-corner mentality
  • Used to playing on an island
  • Loose hips; can turn and run
  • Quick backpedal
  • Dangerous ball skills
  • Good hands
  • Route recognition
  • Quick feet
  • Times contact well
  • Can play off-man coverage
  • Can play zone coverage
  • Athletic upside

• Weaknesses:
  • Lacks elite speed
  • Could have issues carrying verticals
  • Needs to be protected against elite speed receivers
  • Sometimes can grab too much and be too physical
  • Has some off-the-field character concerns
  • On Facebook at Memories of...
    Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
    Assassin
    On Facebook at Memories of...
    Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
    Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

Franko said:

With the criminal charges against Deandre Baker dropped, the Cowboys should sign him immediately. We could really use a first round CB. Plus, he's probably going to be able to keep the guaranteed money he got from the Giants, so he might even agree to a cheaper deal than he otherwise would.
    wow.

Last year Pat Shurmur called him out in front of the team for a lack of effort. Baker finished his rookie season with 55 tackles and no interceptions. ESPN

draft outlook;

Strengths:
  • Man-cover corner
  • Transitions well
  • Good instincts
  • Can run with receivers
  • Athletic
  • Quick backpedal
  • Dangerous ball skills
  • Good hands
  • Route recognition
  • Quick feet
  • Times contact well
  • Can play zone coverage
  • Athletic upside

• Weaknesses:
  • Lacks elite speed

• so what ya think?
    Assassin
    Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

Franko said:

wow.

draft outlook;

Strengths:
  • Man-cover corner
  • Transitions well
  • Good instincts
  • Can run with receivers
  • Athletic
  • Quick backpedal
  • Dangerous ball skills
  • Good hands
  • Route recognition
  • Quick feet
  • Times contact well
  • Can play zone coverage
  • Athletic upside

• Weaknesses:
  • Lacks elite speed

• so what ya think?
    if he would come in at a good rate for the rest of the season with a Dallas option for next, I would say yes. But as we are in a battle for the TOP FIVE draft pick, the last thing I would want is for a kid to come in and win a game or two for us and move us to the 10 to 15 range (or even win the NFC East) and then take off for greener pastures. I would also have a conversation with him about signing, not playing the rest of this season as he will have to go through protocols and there's not much left, then come in, in 2021
    Assassin
    ESPN's Jordan Raanan wrote the content below last November when Baker was in the throes of a horrendous rookie campaign.
    Quote:

"Two players recently described Baker as a "handful" this season, sources told ESPN. It's an issue that has become noticeable even to guys on the offensive side of the football.
    It's more than just allowing a completion or committing one of his team-leading seven penalties this season. It's being able to trust that Baker knows his responsibility on a particular play and won't commit a mental lapse like he did on a 49-yard Marvin Hall touchdown in Detroit. These types of costly mistakes, when the defensive call has been right but the execution insufficient, have left the defense demoralized far too often.
    More than anything, it can be attributed to a consistency issue for a player who entered the draft with questions about his character and had at least two other teams concerned because of his lackadaisical training and questionable attitude."

Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

Franko said:

wow.

draft outlook;

Strengths:
  • Man-cover corner
  • Transitions well
  • Good instincts
  • Can run with receivers
  • Athletic
  • Quick backpedal
  • Dangerous ball skills
  • Good hands
  • Route recognition
  • Quick feet
  • Times contact well
  • Can play zone coverage
  • Athletic upside

• Weaknesses:
  • Lacks elite speed

• so what ya think?
    if he would come in at a good rate for the rest of the season with a Dallas option for next, I would say yes. But as we are in a battle for the TOP FIVE draft pick, the last thing I would want is for a kid to come in and win a game or two for us and move us to the 10 to 15 range (or even win the NFC East) and then take off for greener pastures. I would also have a conversation with him about signing, not playing the rest of this season as he will have to go through protocols and there's not much left, then come in, in 2021
    yeah I don't want anything to screw up our draft placement. We don't have many games left like you said, so just come in 2021. Works for me but would he accept that offer. Who knows
    Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan wrote the content below last November when Baker was in the throes of a horrendous rookie campaign.
    Quote:

"Two players recently described Baker as a "handful" this season, sources told ESPN. It's an issue that has become noticeable even to guys on the offensive side of the football.
    It's more than just allowing a completion or committing one of his team-leading seven penalties this season. It's being able to trust that Baker knows his responsibility on a particular play and won't commit a mental lapse like he did on a 49-yard Marvin Hall touchdown in Detroit. These types of costly mistakes, when the defensive call has been right but the execution insufficient, have left the defense demoralized far too often.
    More than anything, it can be attributed to a consistency issue for a player who entered the draft with questions about his character and had at least two other teams concerned because of his lackadaisical training and questionable attitude."

oh, well that would concern me a little I think I would pass.
    Assassin
    Assassin
    Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

yeah I don't want anything to screw up our draft placement. We don't have many games left like you said, so just come in 2021. Works for me but would he accept that offer. Who knows
    it would be nice to know before the draft. Would let us concentrate on S or DT or LB assuming they like our other CBs
    Assassin
    but then again the Giants may have done everyone a favor by blowing a 1st on him and exposing his NFL issues
    BearForce
    So I need to check but I believe the Giants are on the hook for his guarantees so anything you sign him to would be an offset.

I would investigate and then go ahead and bring him in for the rest of the year for a test drive.

As Assassin stated, you want to know if he can play now as it might give you more flexibility in the draft in not having to pick a CB early.
    Assassin
    Dalton cleared to practice again. He's playing to keep his job next year by winning two or three games and us not getting another QB
    Assassin
    BearForce said:

So I need to check but I believe the Giants are on the hook for his guarantees so anything you sign him to would be an offset.

I would investigate and then go ahead and bring him in for the rest of the year for a test drive.

As Assassin stated, you want to know if he can play now as it might give you more flexibility in the draft in not having to pick a CB early.
    Which PFFocus plan are you on? I like their stats.
    Wichitabear
    BearForce said:

Then, because we don't need to win, if he turns out to be wonderful, we park him on the bench for the rest of the season. Lololol
    BearForce
    Here are his Giants financials:

Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

Dalton cleared to practice again. He's playing to keep his job next year by winning two or three games and us not getting another QB
    I just don't think we will win anymore games. Maybe 1
    Assassin
    BearForce said:

I took Latin in HS but I'm a little rusty. Can you translate?
    BearForce
    Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

Then, because we don't need to win, if he turns out to be wonderful, we park him on the bench for the rest of the season. Lololol

I doubt he will be any better than Diggs as he is barely not a rookie himself. What it does do if he is decent is it give you draft flex as well as free agent flex given Jourdan Lewis and Chido are both free agents.

Put it another way, Diggs and Anthony Brown are the only corners you have left on contract.
    BearForce
    Assassin said:

BearForce said:

So I believe he pocketed $6M in signing bonus and salary when the Giants cut him and he is a nice cap hit for them going forward.
    Wichitabear
    BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

I doubt he will be any better than Diggs as he is barely not a rookie himself. What it does do if he is decent is it give you draft flex as well as free agent flex given Jourdan Lewis and Chido are both free agents.

Put it another way, Diggs and Anthony Brown are the only corners you have left on contract.
    gotcha
    Assassin
    BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

So I believe he pocketed $6M in signing bonus and salary when the Giants cut him and he is a nice cap hit for them going forward.
    gracias.

BearForce
    Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

gracias.

More data...and supports the offset theory

Baker's 2020 and 2021 base salaries are 100% guaranteed, while $907,257 of his $1.930 million base salary in 2022 is guaranteed.

And given the circumstances, the Giants wont be able to get anything back other than any offset from a new contract as they cant go to the player misconduct card now.
    Assassin
    BearForce said:

I would assume that we might take a shot at one of them. Chido has been more consistent I think, but Lewis has been coming on a bit more. However Anthony Brown is starting.

None of the above jump right off the screen at you.

I like Diggs nastiness but he takes some strange angles. I think that can be coached out. He has lots of upside

Assassin
    BearForce said:

Baker's 2020 and 2021 base salaries are 100% guaranteed, while $907,257 of his $1.930 million base salary in 2022 is guaranteed.

And given the circumstances, the Giants wont be able to get anything back other than any offset from a new contract as they cant go to the player misconduct card now.
    on the other hand, Baker is not off the hook with the NFL (or possibly the law). That was some weird stuff. Reminds you a bit of the Greg Hardy thing.
    BearForce
    Assassin said:

BearForce said:

on the other hand, Baker is not off the hook with the NFL (or possibly the law). That was some weird stuff. Reminds you a bit of the Greg Hardy thing.
    I think when the prosecutor drops the case because the complainants and their lawyer have all conspired to extort Baker, I think that from a legal perspective he is fine. The prosecutor realizes he doesn't have credible witnesses to even prosecute a crime, if there was even one. And the NFL has made it clear he is eligible to be signed by anyone so I think he is good to go to be honest. Now, what is going on in his head is still to be answered.
    BearForce
    Assassin said:

BearForce said:

I would assume that we might take a shot at one of them. Chido has been more consistent I think, but Lewis has been coming on a bit more. However Anthony Brown is starting.

I like Diggs nastiness but he takes some strange angles. I think that can be coached out. He has lots of upside

I think we all have to remember that Diggs is a WR still learning how to play CB and given that I am happy with how he is progressing. If Lewis or Chido want to resign cheaply then sure I am down for that but I would look at that as transition insurance to getting another young drafted CB to pair with Diggs and solidify your CB 1 and 2 for years to come.
    Assassin
    Eli Ankou - got a few reps in the Steeler game. https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/11/16/21566503/film-room-breaking-down-eli-ankous-cowboys-debut-dontari-poe-mike-nolan-aldon-smith-randy-gregory

Quote:

Quote:
    Cowboys clearly want to use Ankou as more of a run defender, hence his lack of snaps on third downs in this game, but Pittsburgh's high frequency of pass plays on first down meant a lot of pass rushing opportunities for Ankou. In fact, all 11 of his snaps came on pass plays, though that's hardly what Dallas wanted to use him for.
    Assassin
    BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I think we all have to remember that Diggs is a WR still learning how to play CB and given that I am happy with how he is progressing. If Lewis or Chido want to resign cheaply then sure I am down for that but I would look at that as transition insurance to getting another young drafted CB to pair with Diggs and solidify your CB 1 and 2 for years to come.
    Diggs had three years at Bama playing CB. S and WR his frosh year. The fact that it was Bama should give him al leg up. It's the NFL Junior League
    BearForce
    Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Diggs had three years at Bama playing CB. S and WR his frosh year. The fact that it was Bama should give him al leg up. It's the NFL Junior League
    Still a big difference between growing up playing the position to switching to it your sophomore year in college. Diggs does use his WR instincts well in the role but is still learning the art of playing the position.
    BearForce
    Interesting article.

Franko
    BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

I think when the prosecutor drops the case because the complainants and their lawyer have all conspired to extort Baker, I think that from a legal perspective he is fine. The prosecutor realizes he doesn't have credible witnesses to even prosecute a crime, if there was even one. And the NFL has made it clear he is eligible to be signed by anyone so I think he is good to go to be honest. Now, what is going on in his head is still to be answered.

The witnesses that originally implicated him now say he had nothing to do with the alleged crime. Even Goodell couldn't wouldn't penalize him. Kick the tires.
    Assassin
    Joined Draft Network. Thier mock is much cooler than the others.

I keep getting stuck on Sewell. I think he is the one person in this draft that it would be very hard to pass on. Trevor Lawrence may be but QBs tend to be overrated.

But I changed my thinking. There are gonna be a lot of cuts this offseason with a lower cap and Dak signing. So I traded back and I think we got quite a few keepers:

Assassin
    My trades
    Assassin
    BTB had this interesting little chart. Assuming the current draft position, Dallas will have the best draft capital since 1992
    BearForce
    Assassin said:

Joined Draft Network. Thier mock is much cooler than the others.

I keep getting stuck on Sewell. I think he is the one person in this draft that it would be very hard to pass on. Trevor Lawrence may be but QBs tend to be overrated.

But I changed my thinking. There are gonna be a lot of cuts this offseason with a lower cap and Dak signing. So I traded back and I think we got quite a few keepers:

Yeah, I joined them last year and now that they include the projected comp picks, they are my go-to mock.

Not sure we actually would pick 17 guys and would want to fall that far in the first round for what at that point is a second-round talent but I like the thought. I do think we need to hit secondary hard and given what Mike Fisher shared recently regarding Aldon Smith, we might want to draft a DE in the top 100 as well. That said if someone can tell me Sewell is the next Larry Allen, which as you remember we played at left OG and then at left OT, then that would be hard to pass up.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 500 of 851

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.