Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,109,688 Views | 30120 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
  • NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Cowboys OC Kellen Moore is "leaning towards" staying in Dallas to work under coach Mike McCarthy.
    SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
    Jan 7, 2020, 6:48 PM ET

Wichitabear
Oh boy. Just as long as I don't see his sweet little face on the sideline pretending he knows what he is doing! Lololol. He needs to stand behind the coach taking notes
Assassin
zunooreo said:

D. C. Bear said:

zunooreo said:

D. C. Bear said:

Machiavelli said:

I'd personally rather have McCarthy as the Cowboys HC than Rhule. I love Rhule for Baylor but I view him as a better fit for college. I could be wrong but I think he's a much riskier hire for an NFL team.
I think he will be very successful in the NFL. That doesn't mean he isn't a better fit for college. It would not surprise me at all if he found the NFL less fulfilling than coaching in college.
$60M will help soothe the pain.......
Not really. He would have more than he could spend no matter where he was. $60M does not soothe pain any more than $20M.
And we guess you speak from experience ?
The old 'we'.... trying to recruit on a Cowboy page when you are obviously not a Cowboy fan isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Trying to recruit on ANY page simply shows insecurity and a lack of conviction.

Does this sound pretty accurate there z?
Assassin

Assassin
McCarthy brings with him a more fast-paced offense. During his final five seasons with the Packers, McCarthy's offense used a no-huddle at the rate of 21 percent of their plays. This was the third-highest use of the no-huddle during that span. This allowed Green Bay to push the tempo and camouflage their looks, creating all sorts of problems for the defense. Cowboys fans can attest to this first hand as they've watched Aaron Rodgers feed off an unprepared defense.

While McCarthy's Packers are one of the most frequent users of no-huddle, the Cowboys have only used no-huddle on nine percent of their plays since Prescott has taken over the starting quarterback gig. Look for that to change
BaylorRocks
Assassin said:

zunooreo said:

D. C. Bear said:

zunooreo said:

D. C. Bear said:

Machiavelli said:

I'd personally rather have McCarthy as the Cowboys HC than Rhule. I love Rhule for Baylor but I view him as a better fit for college. I could be wrong but I think he's a much riskier hire for an NFL team.
I think he will be very successful in the NFL. That doesn't mean he isn't a better fit for college. It would not surprise me at all if he found the NFL less fulfilling than coaching in college.
$60M will help soothe the pain.......
Not really. He would have more than he could spend no matter where he was. $60M does not soothe pain any more than $20M.
And we guess you speak from experience ?
The old 'we'.... trying to recruit on a Cowboy page when you are obviously not a Cowboy fan isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Trying to recruit on ANY page simply shows insecurity and a lack of conviction.

Does this sound pretty accurate there z?

Why, or what, in the world would make you think I'm not a Cowboys fan? Crazy
GoldMind
Super Bowl is coming next season. Trophy number 6 coming up.
Wichitabear
Seriously? I think you know the answer to that or do you really not?
Machiavelli
Please no one quote zuno, it just makes my ignoring him not work quite so well.
Wichitabear
Lololol
Assassin
A press conference has been scheduled for Wednesday at 3 pm at the Star in Frisco.
Assassin
This is big. We were last in the league in Special Teams and we just hired one of the best Coaches;
Cowboys hired Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel.
It's been a nice day for the Cowboys, as they are expected to retain OC Kellen Moore and added one of the league's best special teams coordinators in Fassel. The Rams have been innovative and situationally aggressive on special teams, things the Dallas coaching staff lacked under ex-coach Jason Garrett.

RELATED: Los Angeles Rams
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 7, 2020, 8:18 PM ET
Assassin
Mike McCarthy challenges a lot more frequently than Jason Garrett does. During his time as head coach of the Cowboys, Jason Garrett challenged 45 calls. During his time as head coach of the Packers, Mike McCarthy WON 47 challenges.

Could this be the Cowboys new coaching staff? McCarthy - Up tempo, pass on first down coach Mike Nolan - His defenses are always at the top of takeaways Jim Tomsula - His defenses are always at the top of sacks John Fassel - One of the best special teams coaches in the league
Assassin
Brian at BtB did this post about the last few #17 picks, some damn nice players

San Francisco 49ers
Mike Iupati
OG
Idaho

New England Patriots
Nate Solder
OT
Colorado

Cincinnati Bengals
Dre Kirkpatrick
CB
Alabama

Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarvis Jones
OLB
Georgia

Baltimore Ravens
CJ Mosley
LB
Alabama

San Francisco 49ers
Arik Armstead
DE
Oregon

Atlanta Falcons
Keanu Neal
S
Florida

Washington Redskins
Jonathan Allen
DE
Alabama

San Diego Chargers
Derwin James
S
Florida State

New York Giants
Dexter Lawrence
DT
Clemson

BearForce
17: R1P17
WR JERRY JEUDY
ALABAMA

51: R2P19
DL LEKI FOTU
UTAH

82: R3P18
LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

120: R4P17
CB LUQ BARCOO
SAN DIEGO STATE

164: R5P18
DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

179: R5P33
S JARED MAYDEN
ALABAMA

231: R7P17
RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH
BaylorRocks
Wichitabear said:

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS !

I'm a fan.
GoldMind
zunooreo said:

Wichitabear said:

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS !

I'm a fan.
Yes, a fan of fecloid posts.
Assassin
Jane Slater @SlaterNFL

I'm told there will be surprising announcements about this coaching staff, very little holdover from last year per a source. WR coach Sanjay Lal not expected back despite current contract. On the radar for secondary: Joe Whitt Jr. & Tony Oden. OL coach Marc Colombo still in limbo
Assassin
GoldMind said:

zunooreo said:

Wichitabear said:

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS !

I'm a fan.
Yes, a fan of fecloid posts.
for the benefit of z:

fecaloid
(f'k-loyd),
Resembling feces.
[L. faeces, feces, + G. eidos, resemblance]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary Farlex 2012
Assassin
and there goes z back on ignore
Assassin
How Easily Could Cowboys Convert to 3-4 Defense in 2020?
by Jess HaynieJanuary 8, 2020, 1:03 pm

Massive changes are underway on the Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff in 2020. With a new head coach and defensive coordinator now in place, could a big change be coming to the defensive scheme? WIll Dallas convert to a 3-4 defense this year, and how easily can that happen given the current roster?

Mike Nolan has been named as the new coordinator this year and his primary background in the NFL has been using the 3-4 scheme. In case you're unfamiliar, this refers to the base formation of personnel among the defensive linemen and linebackers.

In the 4-3 scheme, which Dallas has employed since 2013, there are four defensive linemen and three linebackers in the front seven. The 3-4 flips those numbers; three linemen and four linebackers.

Dallas used the 3-4 defense from 2003-2012. It was initially installed by Bill Parcells and continued by Wade Phillips. However, after two years of Rob Ryan's work, the Cowboys chose to bring in Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli to switch back to the traditional 4-3 scheme.

Mike Nolan has worked with both schemes, having run a 4-3 defense during his time with the Atlanta Falcons from 2012-2014. He has spent the last three years as the linebackers coach for the New Orleans Saints, who also use a 4-3 scheme.

Still, Nolan's primarily considered a 3-4 guy. So if new Dallas Head Coach Mike McCarthy is bringing him in to lead a scheme change, how quickly can the Cowboys make that switch with their current players?

A significant factor in this is who is actually under contract for 2020, which a big issue for the Cowboys across the board this offseason. The massive list of free agents could also mean a perfect environment for changing schemes.

UNDER CONTRACT
DE DeMarcus Lawrence
DE Dorance Armstrong
DE Joe Jackson
DE Randy Gregory (SUSP)
DE Jalen Jelks
DL Tyrone Crawford
DL Daniel Wise
DT Trysten Hill
LB Jaylon Smith
LB Leighton Vander Esch
LB Luke Gifford

FREE AGENTS
LB Chris Covington
DE Robert Quinn
DE Michael Bennett
DE Kerry Hyder
DT Maliek Collins
DT Antwaun Woods (ERFA)
DT Christian Covington
DT Daniel Ross (RFA)
LB Sean Lee
LB Joe Thomas
LB Justin March
LB Malcolm Smith
LB Ray-Ray Armstrong

The first player you have to talk about is DeMarcus Lawrence, who just got a massive new contract last year. Can Tank make the conversion to being an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme?

No, Lawrence isn't as versatile as a Von Miller or Khalil Mack. He's probably not the guy you want occasionally dropping back into coverage. But he could easily be the strong-side 3-4 LB much like Antony Spencer was for the Cowboys. He would still get to attack the right tackles and play a key role in run defense, where DeMarcus currently excels.

An interesting figure here is Jaylon Smith. Would he play inside linebacker or move to that weak side OLB? Jaylon has legit pass-rushing skills but are they good enough to make that a more heavy portion of his workload?

Centerpiece Leighton Vander Esch works in any scheme and would be great in an inside linebacker role in the 3-4. The question would be who plays beside him; do you re-sign either Sean Lee or Joe Thomas for that spot? Or is that where you prefer to play Jaylon Smith and using someone different as a pass rusher?

The linebackers are actually the easier transition. It's the defensive line where you'd have some big moves to make, and an especially interesting decision with veteran Tyrone Crawford.

Nobody would've expected Crawford to return in 2020 given his reduced role and increasing contract. Tyrone is set to count $9.1 million against the cap and Dallas can save $8 million of that by cutting him.

But if the Cowboys wind up moving to a 3-4 scheme then Crawford may suddenly have increased value. He started in the league in 2012 when Dallas still ran that defense and was brought in originally as a 3-4 defensive end.

However, Dallas could very well take that $8 million in cap space and sign two or even three rotation players. That might be the better value in the end.

The switch would definitely benefit some guys and hurt others. For example, smallish DE Dorance Armstrong could be a nice candidate for converting to a 3-4 OLB. But would Robert Quinn or Michael Bennett, who were great additions in 2019, now be worth bringing back?

Christian Covington's experience as a 3-4 DE in Houston would make him a smart player to re-sign. But on the other hand, changing schemes would make it even less likely that Dallas would bring back Maliek Collins or Antwaun Woods.

And of course, what about Randy Gregory? If he's ready to finally make his NFL return, the athletic pass rusher might be a nice fit as an edge rusher. But Randy's return timetable, if one even exists, is a mystery nobody can solve right now.

There would clearly be a lot of work to do. Thankfully, even after they re-sign key free agents like QB Dak Prescott, WR Amari Cooper, and CB Byron Jones, Dallas should have all the cap space and draft picks necessary to retool the defense.

Clearly, some new faces would have to be brought in. A true nose tackle would be a must and probably either a pass rusher or an inside linebacker depending on where they use Jaylon. But thanks to foundation pieces like Smith, Lawrence, and Vander Esch the task is far from impossible.

Even if the Cowboys ultimately stick to the 4-3 defense there are still plenty of moves needed with all of these free agents. We'll find out soon just how drastic the changes could be.
Assassin
LB ISAIAH SIMMONS
CLEMSON

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

TE HUNTER BRYANT
WASHINGTON

WR BRYAN EDWARDS
SOUTH CAROLINA

DL RAEQUAN WILLIAMS
MICHIGAN STATE

CB ESSANG BASSEY
WAKE FOREST

DL ROBERT LANDERS
OHIO STATE
BearForce
Why did you go heavy early on LB? Is that 3-4 driven?

Also look this guy up...
CB LUQ BARCOO
Wichitabear
Yeah
BearForce
Good opening press conference by McCarthy...and its clear he has command of his staff and who is on it.
BearForce
CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH
trey3216
BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

No way on earth we can afford to be that defense heavy in the draft
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearForce
trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

No way we can't afford to.

You have multiple CBs off contract, no real DT, no play making safety, and if you are going to run some 3-4 no great pass rushing LB.

Meantime on offense, you have a QB, RBs, WRs (Cooper might get tagged and Cobb is staying), and the OL ia still good as is. What do you need to draft on offense?
trey3216
BearForce said:

trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

You have multiple CBs off contract, no real DT, no play making safety, and if you are going to run some 3-4 no great pass rushing LB.

Meantime on offense, you have a QB, RBs, WRs (Cooper might get tagged and Cobb is staying), and the OL ia still good as is. What do you need to draft on offense?
Still too much money to pay everyone. The OL is getting older (gotta start looking for a Tyron Smith replacement), WR position is not locked down, and a host of other things.

Just saying, you're not going to draft 7 defensive and 1 offensive player. Some of the defensive players will come via FA or trade.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Why did you go heavy early on LB? Is that 3-4 driven?

Also look this guy up...
CB LUQ BARCOO
Absolutely, plus the fact both our starters are 're-constructed' One bad tackle away from end of career.

And I would guess Sean Lee is getting ready to set sail away.
BearForce
trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

Still too much money to pay everyone. The OL is getting older (gotta start looking for a Tyron Smith replacement), WR position is not locked down, and a host of other things.

Just saying, you're not going to draft 7 defensive and 1 offensive player. Some of the defensive players will come via FA or trade.
First of all keep in mind I took the best player available as the draft fell at a position of need. That said, lets address your offense comments. No one of the starters on the offensive line is older than 29 so this OL isn't old. As for Tyron, understand he is pretty banged up but I would offer that his replacement is likely already on the roster in Connor Williams who has been playing out of position. You also forget we drafted McGovern last year who is projected to be a stud OG who would slot in at LG to take Connor's spot. Ok, as for WR the Cowboys pretty much tipped their hand on Randal Cobb at the McCarthy press conference...they will resign him. Cooper they said as much too. Meanwhile you have Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Malik Collins, Bennett, Shaun Lee, and Quinn among others on defense all with expiring contacts. You aren't paying all of those guys and you aren't replacing all via free agency, not to mention you don't have a real NT on this roster and your safety position has been underwhelming. Given that, I do see us going heavy defense...
trey3216
BearForce said:

trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

First of all keep in mind I took the best player available as the draft fell at a position of need. That said, lets address your offense comments. No one of the starters on the offensive line is older than 29 so this OL isn't old. As for Tyron, understand he is pretty banged up but I would offer that his replacement is likely already on the roster in Connor Williams who has been playing out of position. You also forget we drafted McGovern last year who is projected to be a stud OG who would slot in at LG to take Connor's spot. Ok, as for WR the Cowboys pretty much tipped their hand on Randal Cobb at the McCarthy press conference...they will resign him. Cooper they said as much too. Meanwhile you have Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Malik Collins, Bennett, Shaun Lee, and Quinn among others on defense all with expiring contacts. You aren't paying all of those guys and you aren't replacing all via free agency, not to mention you don't have a real NT on this roster and your safety position has been underwhelming. Given that, I do see us going heavy defense...

I didn't forget anything regarding the OL you mentioned. What you seem to forget is that Connor has been hurt both years, yes, while playing out of position. McGovern didn't make it to training camp with his injury. Tyron is 'young' but next year is his 11th season and he's had chronic ailments for 5 years.

The Cowboys can cut Tyron and save a boatload of money this summer, and they may do it. Cobb likely re-signs, but he's got 1, maybe 2 years left and at 4-5x what a top flight draft pick would cost
Assassin
trey3216 said:

BearForce said:

CB KRISTIAN FULTON
LSU

S ANTOINE WINFIELD
MINNESOTA

LB ZACK BAUN
WISCONSIN

DL AUBREY SOLOMON
TENNESSEE

DL BRAVVION ROY
BAYLOR

CB JEFF GLADNEY
TCU

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH

I would devote our entire draft to D unless we can find a OT
Machiavelli
Too many great receivers in this draft to not find value there at some point.
BearForce
First Page Last Page
Page 389 of 861

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.