Football
Sponsored by

Portal QBs

33,111 Views | 332 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by deemus
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?

DanaDane

Very interesting
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Very interesting
Bring him home.
DanaDane
atomicblast
DanaDane said:

Very interesting
Tanner would be a good choice.
DanaDane

Former Texas Tech product from Grapevine
PartyBear
Take Tanner. Sonny may have dibs on him. I'm surprised he didn't go with Sonny a year ago. However I thought He was done he has played 5 years not including his red shirt year
atomicblast
PartyBear said:

Take Tanner. Sonny may have dibs on him. I'm surprised he didn't go with Sonny a year ago.
Tanner would be a good gap QB. Have him fight Shapen for the starting job, which I really think Tanner would win and then go hard after a QB next year to reset the scouting reports and find the right one.
bear2be2
atomicblast said:

PartyBear said:

Take Tanner. Sonny may have dibs on him. I'm surprised he didn't go with Sonny a year ago.
Tanner would be a good gap QB. Have him fight Shapen for the starting job, which I really think Tanner would win and then go hard after a QB next year to reset the scouting reports and find the right one.
If you're bringing in Mordecai, it's to start, not to compete with a borderline P5 starter. He's not going anywhere to compete for a job. He's going somewhere with a starting job waiting for him.
DanaDane
If you see reports of Jalen Daniels entering the portal (as expected) tonight or tomorrow, just remember that JAYLON Daniels is the QB for Kansas and Jalen Daniels is the backup QB at South Carolina.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

If you see reports of Jalen Daniels entering the portal (as expected) tonight or tomorrow, just remember that JAYLON Daniels is the QB for Kansas and Jalen Daniels is the backup QB at South Carolina.
Bean already entered, so Daniels is the man there ... not that that was ever in doubt.

That epic bowl game performance would suggest he's past any injury issues or rust he was fighting through.
241Bear
atomicblast said:

DanaDane said:

Very interesting
Tanner would be a good choice.
Plenty would welcome him at BU.
No Quarterback
DanaDane said:

Very interesting

solid quarterback. From Waco.
Bigkahunaww
DanaDane said:

Very interesting

vg1984
Looks like he's going to Wisconsin unfortunately
gobears20
Staff
PartyBear
It appears our offensive brand attracts no one. Aranda really needs to do something about that.
Bigkahunaww
Grumpy
Chase Wolf is coming back to Wisconsin. Why would Mordecai transfer there?
gobears20
Staff
So he comes out and entered the transfer portal today and then it comes out he is transferring to Wisconsin
Surely no tampering lol
No Quarterback
PartyBear said:

It appears our offensive brand attracts no one. Aranda really needs to do something about that.

The coaches showed indefatigable loyalty to Shapen even when he was clearly in a multi game slump to put it nicely. I'm guessing there is a lot of negative recruiting that is going on with the portal quarterbacks right now. Other programs can see these obvious problems as well
gobears20
Staff
Hopefully we are going to bring in a qb soon. Even if Shapen. Is your starter we need another one.
chorne68
We need two more quarterbacks. Or three.
mcleod66
chorne68 said:

would feel much more comfortable with 3
Stefano DiMera
At this point I think we'll have to settle for Uncle Rico.
robby44
No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

The coaches showed indefatigable loyalty to Shapen even when he was clearly in a multi game slump to put it nicely. I'm guessing there is a lot of negative recruiting that is going on with the portal quarterbacks right now. Other programs can see these obvious problems as well

Yep
When you see the starter throwing off his back foot and missing on simple flare routes in game 13 that's a huge red flag as is the fact 2 nice quarterbacks went away
PartyBear
Here is the situation if I recall it correctly. When Bell was named QB coach we had good arsenal of QBs. That has depleted down to Shapen, who many here say is displaying that he is not getting good coaching. Now it appears that has all caught up to Bell and he cant recruit very well anymore. It seems ( I do not know but again it appears) that no one in the portal has much interest in coming here, which is bizarre given our offensive reputation just 6 years ago. I dont know if that is all on Bell or in combination with our seeming agenda to be boring, conservative and not entertaining or what. Something needs to change on that side of the ball for the sake of the program and for the sake of the self interest of the entire staff as well I would add.
MrGolfguy
Here's 4 QB's still in the portal that look intriguing; anyone think they couldn't help us next year?

Brennan Armstrong, Virginia
Brady Allen, Purdue
Malik Hornsby, Arkansas
Chandler Rogers, ULM
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
No Quarterback
MrGolfguy said:

Here's 4 QB's still in the portal that look intriguing; anyone think they couldn't help us next year?

Brady Allen, Purdue
Malik Hornsby, Arkansas
Chandler Rogers, ULM

I think Allen and Armstrong would be upgrades over shapen. Hornsby intrigues me very much with his elite speed, but I've heard he can't throw worth a darn. He would be able to run the zone read and speed options that we were able to do with Bohannon but not Shapen. Don't know as much about Rogers.

Edit: Chandler Rogers does look intriguing. Built like shapen but seems to have some dog in him as they say
241Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Brady Allen, Purdue
Malik Hornsby, Arkansas
Chandler Rogers, ULM
What's the saying? "Beggars can't be choosers." Unfortunately, that seems to be pretty close to where we are.
Johnny Bear
chorne68 said:

This.

I haven't forgotten 2015.
Harrison Bergeron
Has Hudson Card landed anywhere?

Mordeci to Wisconsin seems weird.
No Quarterback
Harrison Bergeron said:

Has Hudson Card landed anywhere?

Mordeci to Wisconsin seems weird.

Purdue.

NIL Money (ok Fickell is also a hot commodity right now)
Bigkahunaww
MrGolfguy said:

Brady Allen, Purdue
Malik Hornsby, Arkansas
Chandler Rogers, ULM
Brennan Armstrong Took a visit to OK State which is the favorite. Lots of interceptions

Brady Allen, freshman only threw 3 passes, could be interesting

Malik Hornsby to announce decision Jan 8, UNLV, Baylor, Nebraska, UNLV the favorite

Chandler Rogers is grad transfer with 1 Year left. I would think if Baylor went that route, they would try for Spenser Sanders who is a D1 QB

• Wildcard is Grayson McCall, injured in bowl game, not heard how bad. Possible issues with his grades needed to enroll in D1 school.

I wouldn't mind them signing Jay Butterfield, redshirt freshman from Oregon. I'm betting our new DC can give us first hand knowledge on him.
boykin_spaniel
Armstrong has been linked to Notre Dame and Oklahoma St. Pokes seem to think they have the upper hand on him, which might be because…

Sam Hartman is favored to end up at Notre Dame.

Hornsby probably has the best chance to start at UNLV. I imagine Baylor is still pursuing him though. He needs accuracy work.

Allen is a Midwest kid from Indiana. Not sure he'd be interested coming down to Texas, but maybe he would be? Someone like Kentucky could swoop in here.

Chandler Rogers has visited Cal. ESPN seemed to think it went well but only he and Cal really know that.

Alan Bowman is leaving Michigan after leaving Tech. Wouldn't shock me if Bowman ends up being rumored to head back down to Texas.

McCall is rumored to have academic problems which is why Auburn backed off. I have nothing against Auburn and know some great people who went there but if your grades aren't getting you into Auburn then Baylor isn't an option either. McCall would be my first pick from the portal, if it was a draft.

Rogers, Hornsby, and Bowman sound like the most realistic signings to me. I'm sure there are some other names out there. Teams that just landed 5* freshman probably have some guys on the roster that could be convinced to leave.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.