Football
Sponsored by

Portal QBs

33,445 Views | 332 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by deemus
Quinton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
robby44 said:

boognish_bear said:

Well...this is not what I was hoping for.

Sad
Ill hold out that those posting are wrong.. like they usually are. They should be getting 2 qb transfers if possible much less one that is all good with playing back up. Strange roster management by Aranda. Team next year is a lottery ticket on Shapen and defensive improvement.
FLBear5630
ImwithBU said:

No Quarterback said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Bigkahunaww said:

Staff is following this kid.

Good size. Two sport athlete in football, and basketball

https://247sports.com/player/carson-may-46102478/

6'5"? Holy smokes. I bet he would have seen Ben Sims

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/carson-may-249700?view=pv

His only offers were Iowa and Old Dominion. Played 2A Oklahoma football. Look, I'm sure this is a really nice kid, but if this is the state our offense is in, we are in for a world of hurt next year

We have no depth. If he wants to come here great. Coaches get paid at this level to develop players and adapt their system to the player's strengths
Seems that, coaches that find and develop, are becoming less and less of a required skill in the Portal age, coaches with connections to handlers are more in line with current thinking. Why take risk to develop when you can just bring in players you know can play or have higher talent? Geez, this is getting more like youth football everyday!
BaylorGrad09
When things shake out I'm expecting an older player with experience and a low ceiling to come to Baylor as a grad transfer to backup Blake as well as a younger unpolished transfer who didn't get any other D1 offers but with seasoning could compete for starting job in 2 years.
Daveisabovereproach
BaylorGrad09 said:

When things shake out I'm expecting an older player with experience and a low ceiling to come to Baylor as a grad transfer to backup Blake as well as a younger unpolished transfer who didn't get any other D1 offers but with seasoning could compete for starting job in 2 years.

So basically we'll be looking for a new coach in two years?
CTbruin
It's real easy to blame Shapen for ALL of our issues in 2022. But there many problems.....more on defense than offense. It's real naive of our fans to think that a "new" QB will solve our problems.
Daveisabovereproach
CTbruin said:

It's real easy to blame Shapen for ALL of our issues in 2022. But there many problems.....more on defense than offense. It's real naive of our fans to think that a "new" QB will solve our problems.

I don't think anyone has said that it will solve all of our problems. The defense is an issue as well. How such a veteran defensive line looked so average is concerning.
bear2be2
CTbruin said:

Improved quarterback play doesn't solve all of our problems, but it does serve as a significant hedge against the plausible eventuality that our defense doesn't improve as much as we all hope it will.

As thoroughly mediocre as our defense was this past season, we still win eight or nine games with better quarterback play. The same will be true next season, so we can't just hope that or defense improves enough to better hide our liability at quarterback. We need to improve in both areas.
CTbruin
bear2be2 said:

CTbruin said:

Improved quarterback play doesn't solve all of our problems, but it does serve as a significant hedge against the plausible eventuality that our defense doesn't improve as much as we all hope it will.

As thoroughly mediocre as our defense was this past season, we still win eight or nine games with better quarterback play. The same will be true next season, so we can't just hope that or defense improves enough to better hide our liability at quarterback. We need to improve in both areas.
And I respectfully disagree. We beat BYU, the cows and TCU if we could make the other team punt. That is with Shapen at QB. Statistically, the defense took a huge step backwards in 2022. The offense did not.
boykin_spaniel
It's easier to place the blame on one guy. Both sides have arguments but very few actually point a serious finger at our defense which was statistically much worse than our offense.

Should Shapen have hit Sims vs TCU? Yes. Should our special teams not have lost us the BYU and WV games? Yes. Should our defense have come up with a couple more stops here there? Yes. Team effort to go 6-6. Iowa St has a much more legitimate concern about their offense. Top 25 defense and a losing record.

We have reason to be concerned but not like we're Iowa and relying on our defense to score all the points.
blackie
RMF5630 said:

blackie said:

RMF5630 said:

No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

Could we possibly have an NIL problem from an angle different than we all think. Perhaps a BMD has invested so much in Shapen, the coaches will be fired if they don't start him?

I honestly just think that the coaches made the gut decision to go with shapen over the known commodity with a known ceiling in Bohannon, the players didn't like it, it backfired, so now we are seeing the sunk cost fallacy much like the Vietnam war where if we keep throwing resources into a lost cause, everything will get better
Well, the only problem I see is that GB ended up at USF, a train wreck. Drones, for all his sucking according to the talking heads in the know, ended up P5 at Va Tech. I guess Va Tech doesn't know how to evaluate QBs.
That will not be answered until he plays.

Haven't they both played already? Can't look up on phone right now.
Not at Va Tech
bear2be2
CTbruin said:

bear2be2 said:

CTbruin said:

And I respectfully disagree. We beat BYU, the cows and TCU if we could make the other team punt. That is with Shapen at QB. Statistically, the defense took a huge step backwards in 2022. The offense did not.
We were only in a position where we needed a late stop in the BYU and TCU games because Shapen was terrible in both. He did nothing for most of the BYU game and missed two easy TD passes against TCU, killing two promising drives.

I also can't blame the defense for the UT loss when they scored 10 of our 27 points in that game and accounted for all of our second-half scoring.

It's not one or the other. It's both/and. But Shapen's play was absolutely a problem for the 2022 Baylor Bears.
CTbruin
Well, I guess we watched different games.

You have your opinion. I have mine.
PaperBear89
boognish_bear said:

This is starting to feel like the smaller schools are turning into a farm system for the bigger schools...I wonder if bigger schools will start giving less and less scholarships spots to HS kids in favor of "ready to play" seasoned kids they can grab out of the portal.

Not surprised at all. That's what Big T Shirt football is all about. These coaches could give 2 $#!+s about player development every year. And fans of these schools are the same as the rest of our microwave society. We want to win and we want it now. No time to work and actually build something.
bear2be2
PaperBear89 said:

boognish_bear said:

This is starting to feel like the smaller schools are turning into a farm system for the bigger schools...I wonder if bigger schools will start giving less and less scholarships spots to HS kids in favor of "ready to play" seasoned kids they can grab out of the portal.

Not surprised at all. That's what Big T Shirt football is all about. These coaches could give 2 $#!+s about player development every year. And fans of these schools are the same as the rest of our microwave society. We want to win and we want it now. No time to work and actually build something.
Good coaches and programs do both. They recruit and develop the core of their team and strategically add transfers to fill holes. You have to do both to sustain success. Focusing on one or the other will result in wild fluctuations season to season.
PaperBear89
bear2be2 said:

PaperBear89 said:

boognish_bear said:

Good coaches and programs do both. They recruit and develop the core of their team and strategically add transfers to fill holes. You have to do both to sustain success. Focusing on one or the other will result in wild fluctuations season to season.

Ideally, yes. Baylor even did that some under Briles and Teaff with some solid JUCO pipelines (essentially the same concept as transfer portal, and possibly better). I just think with a bunch of flaky 18-20 year olds, coaches are more likely going to take the easy way of acquisition. Why spend a bunch of time and effort on recruiting and development when the MAC can do all the work for you?
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

PaperBear89 said:

boognish_bear said:

Good coaches and programs do both. They recruit and develop the core of their team and strategically add transfers to fill holes. You have to do both to sustain success. Focusing on one or the other will result in wild fluctuations season to season.I
I hope you are right. I am seeing otherwise. Younger coaches with better connections to youth organizations, HSs, and different ideas over older coaches that know how to develop players. Bet there are some concerned coaches out there as it used to be all about development, now more like managing handlers with legalized bagmen.

I fear we are starting to see the beginning of the plug and play era, not just smaller schools but less successful schools are going to lose their good players. And this is not the NFL where you do poorly you get a higher draft pick. Nobody talks about it, but just as easily as you can see the Tulane and TCU turnarounds, you will see some just as quick death spirals of programs that were stable 5 years ago. Ok St gonna be a a petri dish for that based on migration out of Stillwater.
Mitch Blood Green
CTbruin said:

I do t question that Shapen plays to his ability. I question how he was out in this position in spring.

What we saw with Shapen is what I expect the coaches to know. A big 12 schedule is a physical and mental grind. It almost takes a narcissist to keep coming back confidently after throwing 3 pics.
boognish_bear
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

I'd take him. I don't think he'll ever be a great passer, but his level of athleticism is one that makes defenses have to intentionally gameplan around
Daveisabovereproach
Also concerning Malik Hornsby: the rumor a week or so back was that he was deciding between UNLV, Nebraska, and Baylor. Nebraska seems to have found their quarterback already in Jeff Sims. Rhule gushed about him a ton and has mentioned that they are not going to take many players in the transfer portal. UNLV just lost Bobby Petrino to Texas A&M. It seems to me that Baylor is the most logical landing place for him just based on the offers that have been reported. I've heard that a few blue blood programs have reached out to him about coming in and switching to wide receiver, but based on the above video, I think he's pretty set on quarterback
boognish_bear
Bigkahunaww
boognish_bear said:

He's got the eyes.
Big_Pumpin
Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

He's got the eyes.

Is this a duck dynasty kid?
MashedPotatoes
Big_Pumpin said:

Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

He's got the eyes.

Tech will get him.
ImwithBU
CTbruin said:

bear2be2 said:

CTbruin said:

Or you beat TCU if Shapen doesn't slide or hits a wide open TE. Or maybe you beat UT if you can surpass the 200 yd mark in a college game
bear2be2
Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

He's got the eyes.
I saw him in 2018 when he played for Lubbock Coronado. He's a good-looking kid with a good arm. I'd be happy with either of the Mississippi State kids to be honest.
bear2be2
MashedPotatoes said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

He's got the eyes.

Tech will get him.
Tech has Behren Morton as the likely successor to Shough. He'd have a very narrow path to the field in Lubbock.
BaylorGrad09
The Mississippi State kid would be great. My step dad is a huge State alum and supporter and liked what he was doing when he played. The Leach QBs had to be good at making quick decisions and be accurate in order to be successful. Thats all one could ask for from a college QB
bear2be2
BaylorGrad09 said:

The Mississippi State kid would be great. My step dad is a huge State alum and supporter and liked what he was doing when he played. The Leach QBs had to be good at making quick decisions and be accurate in order to be successful. Thats all one could ask for from a college QB
Robertson threw for more than 12,000 yards with a 146-to-22 touchdown-to-interception ratio in high school. I'd love to see him in Waco.
Bigkahunaww
Hope we are hosting a couple.

Bigkahunaww
Any ideas ?

Maybe Sawyer Robertson ?

https://247sports.com/player/sawyer-robertson-46059515/

Interesting scouting report.
bear2be2
Bigkahunaww said:

Any ideas ?

Sawyer Robertson from Mississippi State?
Married A Horn
Oh - dont get my hopes up!
Married A Horn
Bigkahunaww said:

Any ideas ?

Maybe Sawyer Robertson ?

Playing with my money is like playing with my emotions, Smokey!
FLBear5630
Bigkahunaww said:

Any ideas ?

Maybe Sawyer Robertson ?

Time for Baylor to close on a top talent QB, Grimes got him on campus. Aranda needs to close. This off sets Novosad loss. Assistants job is to get them on campus, HC has to close. Can CDA close. One thing Rhule and Briles did well was close. Come on Dave!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.