Story Poster
Photo by © Raymond Carlin III-USA Today
Baylor Football

Athlon Sports: Baylor's WR group ranked among top in country

August 14, 2018

Athlon Sports: Charlie Brewer the Heisman Candidate Baylor set for big upset in 2018Brewer set for breakout season | Mims a top 10 WR nationally | Rhule ranked against national coaches

Wide receiver is arguably Baylor's deepest position on the 2018 roster. When talking to Baylor fans, it also isn't getting the publicity nationally it deserves when it comes to the amount of talent it has from top to bottom at the position.

Well, not anymore. According to Steve Lassan of Athlon Sports, Baylor's wid receiver group is considered the 11th best in the entire country and the third best in the Big 12. The Bears return every reception, yard and touchdown from the wide receiver position a season ago and adds impact transfer Jalen Hurd to the mix. 

Denzel Mims is the headliner of the bunch after collecting 61 receptions for 1,064 yards and eight touchdowns a year ago. Behind Mims in production was fellow junior Pooh Stricklin (32 for 414, 1 TD) and senior Chris Platt (16 for 401, 5 TDs). Platt only played in four games as a junior before an ACL injury forced him out the rest of the season.

Junior Tony Nicholson (41 for 344), sophomore Gavin Holmes (13 for 166, 2 TDs), Jared Atkinson (5 for 73), RJ Sneed (5 for 53), Marques Jones (3 for 35) and Trevor White (4 for 28) are additional player returning with production.

Top 11 of WR Group Ranking

1. Ole Miss, SEC

2. West Virginia, Big 12

3. Oklahoma, Big 12

4. South Carolina, SEC

5. Alabama, SEC

6. NC State, ACC

7. Clemson, ACC

8. Toledo, MAC

9. Ohio State, B1G

10. Louisville, ACC

11. Baylor, Big 12

Additional Big 12 Teams Among Top 40

20. Oklahoma State, Big 12

27. Texas, Big 12

37. TCU, Big 12

Discussion from...

Athlon Sports: Baylor's WR group ranked among top in country

11,760 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Colt B.
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Under rated

(because 1-11)
Forest Bueller
Yep.

Hurd, Mims and Platt as a top 3 could be a top 5 class.

Mucho talent.
BoonDockSaint
I need to see if Hurd can catch the ball everytime and make space for himself....run good routes before he gets a blessing from ol Boon Dock
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BoonDockSaint said:

I need to see if Hurd can catch the ball everytime and make space for himself....run good routes before he gets a blessing from ol Boon Dock
2nd and 4th clip...

Forest Bueller
Brian Ethridge said:

BoonDockSaint said:

2nd and 4th clip...

He has lost about 15 or so lbs too hasn't he. He is certainly more cut now. That usually= even more speed and cutting ability. As if he wasn't already explosive.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Forest Bueller said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BoonDockSaint said:

2nd and 4th clip...

He has lost about 15 or so lbs too hasn't he. He is certainly more cut now. That usually= even more speed and cutting ability. As if he wasn't already explosive.

Yes, he's nearer 220 than 240.
BoonDockSaint
Screen catches arent really a good indicator...

Nor is his dropping 20 pounds

Im hopeful...but until game time..

The jury is still out in my book
MilliVanilli
BoonDockSaint said:

Your book must be a coloring book.
bear2be2
BoonDockSaint said:

I've heard enough good things from enough people who would know to conclude that Hurd will likely, at the very least, be a solid contributor to the receiving corps. And it's not like we need him to be the best receiver in this group to have a good one. Denzel Mims and Chris Platt are both game-breaking talents, and we have a ton of depth behind those first three guys.

The skill talent on this team as a whole is really intriguing. Unfortunately, our success as an offense will have far more to do with the development of the line.
RealLarryDon
Hurd hasn't yet lined up a WR, but has tremendous potential.

Platt is the most overhyped and most often injured receiver I've seen since I started following Baylor football in junior high. Although his hands have improved to at least a marginal level now, hopefully he'll catch a lot of balls in the first 2 games because he'll likely be injured by game 3.

Mims is one of the most underrated receivers I've seen since I started following Baylor football. Pencil him in on the 2nd team All America list now.

The rest (Holmes, Sneed, Nicholson, Thornton, Stricklin, etc.....) are just a bunch of dudes so far.

We are rated about where we should be.

Hurd could single handedly change that though if Charlie can stay healthy and isn't running for his life.
Cove Dawg
Would love to see him playing RB for us, dude is a beast.
BoonDockSaint
Hoping Hurd has a great season like we all are

Hope Platt stays healthy

Hoping for a winning season

Hoping for hope at the moment

BUBear24
Cove Dawg said:

Would love to see him playing RB for us, dude is a beast.

I bet you'll see him line up every so often in jet sweeps and goal lines. But part of his transfer was his want to switch from RB to WR. The kid has the potential to be a Sunday player and I think he realized he could have a longer career at WR than RB.
Colt B.
Staff
RealLarryDon said:

Hurd hasn't yet lined up a WR, but has tremendous potential.

Platt is the most overhyped and most often injured receiver I've seen since I started following Baylor football in junior high. Although his hands have improved to at least a marginal level now, hopefully he'll catch a lot of balls in the first 2 games because he'll likely be injured by game 3.

Mims is one of the most underrated receivers I've seen since I started following Baylor football. Pencil him in on the 2nd team All America list now.

The rest (Holmes, Sneed, Nicholson, Thornton, Stricklin, etc.....) are just a bunch of dudes so far.

We are rated about where we should be.

Hurd could single handedly change that though if Charlie can stay healthy and isn't running for his life.
Platt has been hurt once in his career and that was last year. He played in all 26 games as a RS freshman and a sophomore.

Everything else is fair assessment other than Pooh Stricklin. He finished the season as Baylor's second leading receiver last year and only played about six games fully healthy. He was supposed to be out for the season when he came back for 99 yards and TD against Texas Tech. At this point I would call him the most sure-handed receiver on the team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.