Football
Sponsored by

Bowl game projected for Baylor

37,717 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by REX
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

How does every single thread turn into girly internet slap fights?
Sunshine Pumpers vs. Realists. The middle ground is becoming much smaller quickly.

It feels like 2002 all over again, just mostly with different posters.

Jim, you disappoint me. You say you were on the team right before me, but I never see you offer any kind of analysis that represents tangible football knowledge. And here you claim you want some discussion representing the "middle ground," yet call one side of your equation the "Realists."

This is exactly why you never see the most knowledgeable football posters like ftblbob posting on this board. We'd rather stick to Premium where knowledgeable, insightful, and balanced discussion is expected.
Good gosh man, then just do that.

Good gosh man, when I want your guidance as to where I should post then I'll let you know. I mean, God forbid anyone should question the mindless groupthink that G5 UHH would automatically waste Baylor because they have Kendal "Greatest coach since Vince Lombardi" "Do you like white girls?" Briles at the offensive helm.
By all means, keep blustering about how you choose to "stick to Premium" while you do the exact opposite and post your whines here.

So stating facts is "bluster" in your book? So does ftblbob and other posters with his level of knowledge of the game post over here or not? No. That's not bluster, that's the facts.

Oh and I assure you I'm not whining about the fact that low IQ trolls and whiny little b**ches aren't tolerated on premium, I can promise you that. In fact, count me surprised you've made the cut, at least thus far.

No, bluster is complaining and saying you are "sticking to Premium" while you have now made yet another post NOT on premium. Gomer was always surprised too. Which IQ pool was he in?
Gunny Hartman
REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Sunshine Pumpers vs. Realists. The middle ground is becoming much smaller quickly.

Jim, you disappoint me. You say you were on the team right before me, but I never see you offer any kind of analysis that represents tangible football knowledge. And here you claim you want some discussion representing the "middle ground," yet call one side of your equation the "Realists."

This is exactly why you never see the most knowledgeable football posters like ftblbob posting on this board. We'd rather stick to Premium where knowledgeable, insightful, and balanced discussion is expected.

Good gosh man, when I want your guidance as to where I should post then I'll let you know. I mean, God forbid anyone should question the mindless groupthink that G5 UHH would automatically waste Baylor because they have Kendal "Greatest coach since Vince Lombardi" "Do you like white girls?" Briles at the offensive helm.

Houston's offense is on par with OU and better than WV. But yeah they would struggle with Baylor.

*against G5 competition. I'll let you know when that impresses knowledgeable football people.
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

By all means, keep blustering about how you choose to "stick to Premium" while you do the exact opposite and post your whines here.

So stating facts is "bluster" in your book? So does ftblbob and other posters with his level of knowledge of the game post over here or not? No. That's not bluster, that's the facts.

Oh and I assure you I'm not whining about the fact that low IQ trolls and whiny little b**ches aren't tolerated on premium, I can promise you that. In fact, count me surprised you've made the cut, at least thus far.

No, bluster is complaining and saying you are "sticking to Premium" while you have now made yet another post NOT on premium. Gomer was always surprised too. Which IQ pool was he in?

None of my posts have registered a complaint. Quite the opposite in fact. Is English your first language?
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Houston's offense is on par with OU and better than WV. But yeah they would struggle with Baylor.

*against G5 competition. I'll let you know when that impresses knowledgeable football people.
The G5 impressed Mack Rhoades.
REX
Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

They have played two power 5 teams this year and both games have scored more than any of the other teams have against them
Chuckroast
Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

They crushed Arizona who is likely a better program than us. Tech was rolling back when they beat Houston. I'm thinking Houston would probably win now . . . just like FAU improved by light years during the course of last season. You've shown us you are anti-Kendal. I think that's all we need to know.
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

If you could translate this into a post that makes sense that would be great
Gunny Hartman
REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

They have played two power 5 teams this year and both games have scored more than any of the other teams have against them

It's a fair point, but both are among the weakest of the Power 5 teams. Perhaps we'll get an opportunity to find out.
Gunny Hartman
Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

They crushed Arizona who is likely a better program than us. Tech was rolling back when they beat Houston. I'm thinking Houston would probably win now . . . just like FAU improved by light years during the course of last season. You've shown us you are anti-Kendal. I think that's all we need to know.

Speculating as to what would happen now with a game that's already been played doesn't help your argument. And Arizona with Rumlin at the helm doesn't impress me, especially considering that was only his second game as head coach there, versus this being Applewhite's second season as head coach and fourth with the program. And FAU
and UHH can improve throughout the season but Baylor can't? Seriously? Did you watch Baylor last season?

And I don't have an issue with Kendal, it just amazes me how so many on this board deify him like he's the second coming of Knute Rockne. He hasn't yet proven much beyond that he can run a passable version of his daddy's offense.
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Wow. Really? Didn't Mack hire a head coach from the G5? Are you saying he's not "knowledgeable football people"?
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Wow. Really? Didn't Mack hire a head coach from the G5? Are you saying he's not "knowledgeable football people"?

You do realize that playing G5 teams and hiring a coach from a G5 team are not the same thing nor in any way comparable, right?
Malbec
Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

You do realize that playing G5 teams and hiring a coach from a G5 team are not the same thing nor in any way comparable, right?
You do realize that a coach from the G5 coached against G5 teams, right? It's okay to talk out of either side of your mouth, just try not to do both at the same time. You know I'm just bustin' your chops, right?
Gunny Hartman
Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

You do realize that a coach from the G5 coached against G5 teams, right? It's okay to talk out of either side of your mouth, just try not to do both at the same time. You know I'm just bustin' your chops, right?

None of which has anything to do with comparing differing teams' strength of schedule. So if you're going to bust my chops, please at least make it clever.
Chuckroast
Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Speculating as to what would happen now with a game that's already been played doesn't help your argument. And Arizona with Rumlin at the helm doesn't impress me, especially considering that was only his second game as head coach there, versus this being Applewhite's second season as head coach and fourth with the program. And FAU
and UHH can improve throughout the season but Baylor can't? Seriously? Did you watch Baylor last season?

And I don't have an issue with Kendal, it just amazes me how so many on this board deify him like he's the second coming of Knute Rockne. He hasn't yet proven much beyond that he can run a passable version of his daddy's offense.

FAU's and UH's offensive turnaround under their first year with Kendal were remarkable - you could see the improvement in execution and overall team confidence improve as the year went on. He also seems to have brought the old Baylor energy to the UH sideline. I think you have to be willfully blind not to see the impact he has had on the teams he is coaching.
possible12
Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

You aren't elite, man. (The word "premium" does sound elite, tho) Get over yourself...Using the word 'fact' on a message board is like a political commercial.

Most fans don't know football, but we like to act like we do. Most politicians don't know ****, but like to act like they do. Who gives a crap about impressing "knowledgeable " football people? G5?

You've made your point. In your mind you know more than anyone who disagrees in the slightest. You probably do. I was hoping to read some of it, instead of a pissing contest.
Gunny Hartman
Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

FAU's and UH's offensive turnaround under their first year with Kendal were remarkable - you could see the improvement in execution and overall team confidence improve as the year went on. He also seems to have brought the old Baylor energy to the UH sideline. I think you have to be willfully blind not to see the impact he has had on the teams he is coaching.

Oh I of course agree that those teams have made huge strides offensively as a result of the implementation of Art's offense. But there's more to football than just offense, and the downside of his style as we all saw so many times is that it puts huge stress on its team's defense. As we also saw in games like the Cotton Bowl, it can also come up short when attempting to protect a lead late in a game. So it's not a coincidence that nationally you see more and more of the fast paced teams slowing down their tempo a bit so that their defenses can spend less time on the field. So his schemes are not without weakness.

So no, I don't think implementing Art's offense automatically means that Houston can beat us in a bowl. I'd love to find out.
Gunny Hartman
possible12 said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

You aren't elite, man. (The word "premium" does sound elite, tho) Get over yourself...Using the word 'fact' on a message board is like a political commercial.

Most fans don't know football, but we like to act like we do. Most politicians don't know ****, but like to act like they do. Who gives a crap about impressing "knowledgeable " football people? G5?

You've made your point. In your mind you know more than anyone who disagrees in the slightest. You probably do. I was hoping to read some of it, instead of a pissing contest.

I'm not interested in a pissing contest but I sure as hell will respond in kind to those that start one. And I never said I was elite, nor did I pick the name of the premium forum. And my football knowledge isn't at the level of a ftblbob, but I sure as hell hope I know a thing or two about football considering I played it for 14 years.
ColomboLQ
Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Timbear said:

So far, Rhule has not beaten any team with a winning record. What makes some
posters believe we would beat Houston then in a bowl game?
Delusion.

Football knowledge. You should get you some.
Reality. You should find some.

I exposed you as a football know-nothing in a thread on here just in the past few weeks. You sure you want to embarrass yourself again? You might want to sit out this one.
Reality. You should seriously find some.

Is that a fact? Well then why don't you tell me about some reality. For example, why don't you use all your football wisdom to explain to me how Briles in his FOURTH season was down 42-0 at the half in Stoolwater with a QB that won the Heisman a few months later. Or down 17-3 at the half at Kansas, or blown out at aggy 55-28, all in the same season.

Please do bless us all with some of your vaunted reality.
I'm not sure what the point of this post was, but 1) Baylor was down 35-0 at halftime to OSU. Since you want to know how that happened, OSU scored 5 unanswered TDs in the first half. That's how 35-0 halftime scores happen in case you weren't aware (and apparently you weren't). 2)They were down at half, but remind me again, how did that game end? 3) A&M played better that game. How did the rest of that season go btw? What was our final record, I'm having a hard time remembering.
ColomboLQ
Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Isn't that everyone's defense of Rhule though? To have patience because he's a proven coach at the G5 level?
ColomboLQ
Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Oh I of course agree that those teams have made huge strides offensively as a result of the implementation of Art's offense. But there's more to football than just offense, and the downside of his style as we all saw so many times is that it puts huge stress on its team's defense. As we also saw in games like the Cotton Bowl, it can also come up short when attempting to protect a lead late in a game. So it's not a coincidence that nationally you see more and more of the fast paced teams slowing down their tempo a bit so that their defenses can spend less time on the field. So his schemes are not without weakness.

So no, I don't think implementing Art's offense automatically means that Houston can beat us in a bowl. I'd love to find out.
To me, it's not because they implemented Art's offense. To me, it's much simpler than that. U of H is a big play offense and goes and gets big plays often. The Baylor defense has shown a remarkable ability to give up big plays to just about everyone they've played, including teams that don't ever get big plays normally. To me, it's pretty obvious that the U of H offense would be a very very bad matchup for the Baylor defense. And on the other side of the ball, Baylor just doesn't score enough or have an explosive enough offense to keep up with the amount of scoring U of H would do. It's not a Briles thing, it's a big play offense thing.
Gunny Hartman
ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Isn't that everyone's defense of Rhule though? To have patience because he's a proven coach at the G5 level?

I am utterly mystified how it's so difficult to understand that evaluating a team's strength of schedule based on its competition has absolutely nothing to do with where someone once coached.
Gunny Hartman
ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Timbear said:

So far, Rhule has not beaten any team with a winning record. What makes some
posters believe we would beat Houston then in a bowl game?
Delusion.

Football knowledge. You should get you some.
Reality. You should find some.

I exposed you as a football know-nothing in a thread on here just in the past few weeks. You sure you want to embarrass yourself again? You might want to sit out this one.
Reality. You should seriously find some.

Is that a fact? Well then why don't you tell me about some reality. For example, why don't you use all your football wisdom to explain to me how Briles in his FOURTH season was down 42-0 at the half in Stoolwater with a QB that won the Heisman a few months later. Or down 17-3 at the half at Kansas, or blown out at aggy 55-28, all in the same season.

Please do bless us all with some of your vaunted reality.
I'm not sure what the point of this post was, but 1) Baylor was down 35-0 at halftime to OSU. Since you want to know how that happened, OSU scored 5 unanswered TDs in the first half. That's how 35-0 halftime scores happen in case you weren't aware (and apparently you weren't). 2)They were down at half, but remind me again, how did that game end? 3) A&M played better that game. How did the rest of that season go btw? What was our final record, I'm having a hard time remembering.

The lack of an ability demonstrated in this post to grasp a rudimentary point is rather breathtaking, so I won't waste my time responding further.
Gunny Hartman
ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

To me, it's not because they implemented Art's offense. To me, it's much simpler than that. U of H is a big play offense and goes and gets big plays often. The Baylor defense has shown a remarkable ability to give up big plays to just about everyone they've played, including teams that don't ever get big plays normally. To me, it's pretty obvious that the U of H offense would be a very very bad matchup for the Baylor defense. And on the other side of the ball, Baylor just doesn't score enough or have an explosive enough offense to keep up with the amount of scoring U of H would do. It's not a Briles thing, it's a big play offense thing.

If by the end of the season our upperclassmen safeties still haven't learned how to play sound football, and our true freshman safeties haven't come far enough along in the maturation process, then this would be a legitimate concern.
ColomboLQ
Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

If by the end of the season our upperclassmen safeties still haven't learned how to play sound football, and our true freshman safeties haven't come far enough along in the maturation process, then this would be a legitimate concern.
I'm just going by what the defense has shown so far in 20 games of the Rhule era. It hasn't mattered who has played at safety, or linebacker or wherever. Mistakes continuously get made and and assignments continuously get blown. Could it change by the end of the year? I guess it's possible, but up until now there has been little evidence to suggest that this is going to change soon. And that's even with playing slower tempo teams that aren't forcing the defense to react quickly. The two most prolific offenses we've faced so far have exploited big play after big play in leading to two severely non competitive games. U of H is another prolific offense. It's simply not a good matchup for this Baylor team at this point.
TexasScientist
ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

I'm just going by what the defense has shown so far in 20 games of the Rhule era. It hasn't mattered who has played at safety, or linebacker or wherever. Mistakes continuously get made and and assignments continuously get blown. Could it change by the end of the year? I guess it's possible, but up until now there has been little evidence to suggest that this is going to change soon. And that's even with playing slower tempo teams that aren't forcing the defense to react quickly. The two most prolific offenses we've faced so far have exploited big play after big play in leading to two severely non competitive games. U of H is another prolific offense. It's simply not a good matchup for this Baylor team at this point.
U of H would mop the floor with Baylor. It would be unlikely for Baylor to beat anyone in a bowl game at this point. The prospects of Baylor making a bowl at this point are nil. I don't see anyone on the schedule it appears we can beat, much less twice.
Gunny Hartman

MilliVanilli
TexasScientist said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

U of H would mop the floor with Baylor. It would be unlikely for Baylor to beat anyone in a bowl game at this point. The prospects of Baylor making a bowl at this point are nil. I don't see anyone on the schedule it appears we can beat, much less twice.
Thanks Caber, guess we won't save you a seat at a bowl.
BUbearinARK
Quote:

TexasScientist said:

I hope you loose twice on this prediction, punk
Jacques Strap
One win closer after today. Making a bowl allows for extra practice. That's a big benefit.
BaylorHistory
Armed Forces Bowl in Ft Worth would be nice but need to win one more.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Brazos

...and you were saying?

Now we just need to make sure we beat toad in 2 wks. I'm not writing off ISU, but we will need the O to get TDs early.
CHP Bear
SigTauBear said:

I'm curious who this wise prognosticator of football thinks we're beating to get the sufficient number of wins.
TCU
contrario
TexasScientist said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

ColomboLQ said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chuckroast said:

Gunny Hartman said:

REX said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Malbec said:

Gunny Hartman said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LTbear said:

Good call
contrario
UH struggling with lowly SMU tonight. Their best chance to pull out the win is if the rain delay resets the game for them.
Waco1947
I like Phoenix in Dec or Jan. I'm going.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.