Story Poster
Photo by Colt Barber
Baylor Football

Baylor sophomore cornerback Harrison Hand to transfer

January 10, 2019

Insider Notes: Insight to Baylor’s recruiting close and which players are expected to make big jumps this spring

Baylor sophomore cornerback Harrison Hand, a four-game starter in 2018, is not expected to return to the program for the spring semester, SicEm365 has learned and confirmed.

Try SicEm365 Premium for $1.00!

In his two years at Baylor, Hand totaled 52 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1 interception and 12 passes defended. A bulk of those numbers, 42 tackles, 1 interception and 9 passes defended, came for Hand during his freshman season. 

After starting nine games as a true freshman in 2017, Hand was hampered with a lingering injury in fall camp that limited his reps with the defense and left him kept him from significant playing time early in the season. Hand started Baylor’s final four games of the season including against Vanderbilt in the Texas Bowl.

Possibly the most significant reason for his departure, the New Jersey native is close with former Baylor Assistant Head Coach Fran Brown, also Hand’s position coach while in Waco. At the time he gave his commitment to the Bears during his recruitment, his relationship with Brown was the driving factor in choosing the Bears.

Though it would make sense for Hand to likely land at Temple with Brown, SicEm365 currently has no further insight into the situation. Hand will be required to sit out the 2019 season to meet NCAA transfer requirements.

Baylor will return senior Jameson Houston, juniors Raleigh Texada and Grayland Arnold, sophomore Kalon Barnes, and redshirt freshmen Mark Milton and Byron Hanspard to the cornerback position this spring.

Discussion from...

Baylor sophomore cornerback Harrison Hand to transfer

14,660 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MilliVanilli
903Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ouch, that's painful
BearConscious
Brandon White appears to be the only prospective CB that has been signed in the 2019 class. I was hoping Kalon Barnes would get a look at WR, but I guess that's out of the question now, if it was in play.
hodedofome
Well that stinks.
boognish_bear
Hate to lose him.
BaseballBear1108
Weak sauce
Grizz Air
NOOOOOO!

Dude could've been a lockdown corner as a junior/senior.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
BrutalBear
Best of luck to the young man. Hopefully he'll excel at Temple with Fran.
Dia del DougO
Very bad news. I wouldn't be shocked of Arnold eventually went that route. Both looked like future stars a year ago.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
KSGeo
Bummer. Was hoping he could step up and replace Thomas. But with the way Barnes and Texada came on and Grayland and Jameson (hopefully) still around we should still be in good shape at corner. Seems like Barnes could become everything we hoped Hand would be.
DanaDane
Hate to see him go. Looked very promising as a freshman but out of position on pass plays many times this year, probably due to impact of those injuries. I was hoping he would regroup and have a big junior year. I wonder if that means Lovett will be announcing his departure too?
boognish_bear
DanaDane said:

Hate to see him go. Looked very promising as a freshman but out of position on pass plays many times this year, probably due to impact of those injuries. I was hoping he would regroup and have a big junior year. I wonder if that means Lovett will be announcing his departure too?

I sure hope not...but there is a bit of a logjam at RB
DanaDane
Wasn't Brown 100% responsible for Tyquan Thornton from Florida too?
BoonDockSaint
My guess is that with Diaz not bringing Brown to Miami and looks like Temple is going with the NIU guy as head coach...Brown has a better understanding of where he will land

And Hand knows this
boognish_bear
Harrison's mom appreciates the positivity of the BU fanbase

BaylorRocks
Insider info: Performance and attitude issues this season resulted in season-ending evals aligned with facing potential 2nd string. Fran/Temple welcoming with open arms, yes he'll sit 1 year, and expect that announcement in near future. So, unfortunately, he'll become a Pro from another school. Potential is extremely high.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
zunooreo said:

Insider info: Performance and attitude issues this season resulted in season-ending evals aligned with facing potential 2nd string. Fran/Temple welcoming with open arms, yes he'll sit 1 year, and expect that announcement in near future. So, unfortunately, he'll become a Pro from another school. Potential is extremely high.
So Hand had a bad attitude, played ****ty, and is transferring because he can't break into Baylor's All-American DB starting lineup? Ummmmmm........Okay.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
MilliVanilli
He lost his position coach, is homesick and wasn't starting, cocktail for wanting to leave.

Talented recruit, shame not to get to keep him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.