Southern Miss football set to interview former Baylor head coach Art Briles

47,873 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Malbec said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Malbec said:

You don't ask someone to leave his team and fly in from out of the country to interview for a job unless you are serious and have done some homework. I don't care what spin they want to place on the reasons he wasn't hired, the truth is that the USM president is afraid of the SJW mob. Academia is run by that same mob. You won't stand against something if you are already standing with it. I guarantee you that this interview was run by the admin before they told Briles to come in for the interview, and again before Hopson had him meet the team. Bennett was weak for not telling Hopson not to bring Briles in for the interview when he knew full well he would never be willing to stomach making the hire. Hopson will never respect Bennett again.
SBNation reported that USM's coach did not in fact run it by the administration beforehand, and, after the issuing of that report, Patrick Magee asked USM's coach directly about whether that was the case. In response, USM's coach declined to comment.

Given that that is the case, it's unlikely that he actually ran it by the administration, and, if that's true, he may have just put himself on the hot seat.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article225529890.html
Nonsense. There's way too much planning involved for the admins not to know. This is not some guy driving in from Pascagoula. Use some common sense; if there is any of that left in the world.
I love meeting people that have never been to Mississippi.
I KNOW you aren't talking about me.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Michibear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

ALL of these, particularly when combined, can amount to "failure to monitor" and "lack of control". I think Baylor and Briles have the upper hand at avoiding heavy sanctions. Who knows? This is why we have a legal system.
NCAA isn't a legal system, however.

Exhibit A: the disparity in the way the NCAA handled UNC and Mizzou.
I never said the NCAA was a legal system. It's a non-profit organization. Its bylaws and governance is always challengeable in the courts, which is what I foresee in the near future in respect to Briles and Baylor.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Aberzombie1892 said:

It looks like big donors wanted him.
Of course they did. I'm sure a few of them are on the USM BOR as well.

It would be nonsense to believe that a multitude of people at USM were unaware of his candidacy and interview.
xiledinok
Michibear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

ALL of these, particularly when combined, can amount to "failure to monitor" and "lack of control". I think Baylor and Briles have the upper hand at avoiding heavy sanctions. Who knows? This is why we have a legal system.

Cash cow versus liberal Mizzou.
Coaches they like versus the ones they don't like with Baylor?
YoakDaddy
BarleyMcDougal said:

Michibear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

I never said the NCAA was a legal system. It's a non-profit organization. Its bylaws and governance is always challengeable in the courts, which is what I foresee in the near future in respect to Briles and Baylor.

I wouldn't hold my breath about Baylor going to court if there's NCAA sanctions. Briles might, but Baylor won't. We didn't even fight the conference when they kept our money.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
YoakDaddy said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Michibear said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

I wouldn't hold my breath about Baylor going to court if there's NCAA sanctions. Briles might, but Baylor won't. We didn't even fight the conference when they kept our money.
You don't hire those UNC scandal lawyers for no reason.
RegentCoverup
The irony is that Bob Stoops s now Coaching again and Art Briles is not.

Tell me that bs line about retiring again.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-oklahoma-coach-bob-stoops-will-join-dallas-xfl-franchise-as-coach-general-manager/
PartyBear
OU's Regents didn't ask the NCAA to investigate them.

If Briles gets a show cause, he will be back in business as soon as it's over. If cleared he will probably get a job in the next off season.
GoldenBear007
There is going to be a school out there willing to stomach all the backlash from having Art. Most of it would be from the onset anyway, and then people will find something else to get angry about. He's getting closer to a return. The positive comments from the head coach show that. He's smart to try to start with an assistant position.
RegentCoverup
Could be a pro club,

Right now it's the loosely credentialed social justice warriors vs the legion of sports owners and coaches.

Both have a pure profit motive but the coaches have more at stake. So eventually, he will get hired. I just think it will be a pro team,

The sports world is evolving and there are some participants that are beginning to realize that the media n all forms is exploiting the, for profit.
DanaDane
Almost 3 years later and the same handful of old Baylorfans posters who "guaranteed" Art would be hired into another college gig the minute the season ended, are still guaranteeing he's gonna be hired any day. Gotta give em an A+ for loyalty! Too funny.
xiledinok
DanaDane said:

Almost 3 years later and the same handful of old Baylorfans posters who "guaranteed" Art would be hired into another college gig the minute the season ended, are still guaranteeing he's gonna be hired any day. Gotta give em an A+ for loyalty! Too funny.
The robe touchers love Art more than Baylor or anything with class and some remaining dignity.

Party, Boren ran that show. He knew that he had a problem. Stoops stepped away from it. How did it turn out for Stoops and OU? How did it turn out with Briles doing his post firing pr tour?

Now, Stoops has a job because he wasn't dumb like Art.
Art is toxic waste when it comes to coaching in the NFL or colleges.
Like previously posted, the Court of Public opinion has returned a verdict.
Bearnuts
xiledinok said:

DanaDane said:

The robe touchers love Art more than Baylor or anything with class and some remaining dignity.

Party, Boren ran that show. He knew that he had a problem. Stoops stepped away from it. How did it turn out for Stoops and OU? How did it turn out with Briles doing his post firing pr tour?

I don't think he's too toxic for the NFL. They have a history of taking questionable backgrounds. As long as you are good at what you're paid to do and mostly keep your nose clean once you get there, you will be fine. Besides, there aren't parents sending their daughters to the NFL. Lifelong fans of a pro team aren't going to suddenly stop being fans because of a coordinator or other coaching hire.

I think the only reason he hasn't been seriously considered there is because he runs a "college style offense" that the pros still haven't bought into completely. I do think they are more going that way, just not there yet.
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

OU's Regents didn't ask the NCAA to investigate them.

If Briles gets a show cause, he will be back in business as soon as it's over. If cleared he will probably get a job in the next off season.
That's what is intriguing.

If Briles is hit particularly hard by the NCAA investigation, he could potentially be done at the NCAA level since that outcome would lend tangible, third-party validity to some of the negative perceptions of him.
xiledinok
Bearnuts said:

xiledinok said:

DanaDane said:

I don't think he's too toxic for the NFL. They have a history of taking questionable backgrounds. As long as you are good at what you're paid to do and mostly keep your nose clean once you get there, you will be fine. Besides, there aren't parents sending their daughters to the NFL. Lifelong fans of a pro team aren't going to suddenly stop being fans because of a coordinator or other coaching hire.

I think the only reason he hasn't been seriously considered there is because he runs a "college style offense" that the pros still haven't bought into completely. I do think they are more going that way, just not there yet.

The NFL has shut him down twice. It's more than socks and jocks with Art. He would be a nuisance while dealing with his issues.
Wichitabear
I think it would be better for Coach Briles to go pro. If the player screws up, it's on them! College kids need a little more monitoring.
Doc Holliday
Wichitabear said:

I think it would be better for Coach Briles to go pro. If the player screws up, it's on them! College kids need a little more monitoring.
Agreed for optics. But I hate that this is the way it is. College kids are technically adults and nobody but the student who screws up should be held accountable.

We have long forgot the concept of personal responsibility in this country.
Wichitabear
You're right and I hate to say this but parents in a lot of situations get their kids out of trouble instead of teaching them to stand up and take the medicine. I see this all the time at high school.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

Agreed for optics. But I hate that this is the way it is. College kids are technically adults and nobody but the student who screws up should be held accountable.

The notion that a college coach bears no responsibility for the type of people he brings onto campus is utterly absurd. And the subscription to such a notion is one the major reasons Art Briles is currently unemployed and potentially unemployable.

When dealing with 100-plus 18- to 22-year-old men, you're going to have some disciplinary issues to deal with. That's a given. The problem with Briles is he recruited a higher-than-normal number of known character risks with disciplinary issues in their past. It was beyond obvious watching the way our program was run under Briles that he valued one thing in his players: talent. And he would make sacrifices most other coaches wouldn't to acquire it.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

The notion that a college coach bears no responsibility for the type of people he brings onto campus is utterly absurd. And the subscription to such a notion is one the major reasons Art Briles is currently unemployed and potentially unemployable.

Yes - a college coach should bear some responsibility for who he recruits, but the buck should stop with the school's admissions department. That's how it works at many other schools, but at Baylor, the coach is solely responsible (or so his detractors want us to believe).
Wichitabear
That's why he needs to be in the pros
Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

When dealing with 100-plus 18- to 22-year-old men, you're going to have some disciplinary issues to deal with. That's a given. The problem with Briles is he recruited a higher-than-normal number of known character risks with disciplinary issues in their past. It was beyond obvious watching the way our program was run under Briles that he valued one thing in his players: talent. And he would make sacrifices most other coaches wouldn't to acquire it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
RegentCoverup
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

Yes - a college coach should bear some responsibility for who he recruits, but the buck should stop with the school's admissions department. That's how it works at many other schools, but at Baylor, the coach is solely responsible (or so his detractors want us to believe).
Not to disagree with you, Chuck, but we had this athletic director...you know what I'm sayin..
bear2be2
Wichitabear said:

I agree. I thought it was pretty silly when the Twitter mob blocked him from getting an OC job in the CFL. And I'd honestly have no problem with him getting a coordinator job in college. But I completely understand the hesitance many have to put him in charge of a college program again. Those head coaching jobs come with leadership responsibilities he didn't seem to have much use for at Baylor.
Stranger
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

Not to disagree with you, Chuck, but we had this athletic director...you know what I'm sayin..

We had a ribbon clerk with no responsibility who claimed no responsibility.
I'm a Bearbacker
Banned BarleyMcDougal
bear2be2 said:

Wichitabear said:

I thought it was pretty silly when the Twitter mob blocked him from getting an OC job in the CFL.
Canadians man...Canadians.
graysongrundhoefer
Staff
Banned BarleyMcDougal
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

The exact same thing could actually be said for a majority of schools, Oklahoma being at the top of that list in our own conference. If Briles/Bennett hadn't taken some of those kids, you can bet they'd have been in Norman or Austin or Stillwater or College Station. And they'd have gotten in trouble in these places, but you would have never seen it blow up on them.

The media that cover these teams are bought and paid for just like they are in a high number of other college towns. The sins of these schools and their players are whitewashed on a continual basis. Baylor doesn't have the power to manipulate facts like these programs. If you want to do the research, go back and examine how many crimes were committed by the athletes in programs in Norman and Austin and how quickly they were swept away or how little coverage they got.

I'm not saying Baylor/Waco should engage in that kind of overwhelming conspiratorial BS, but it happens and is happening right now in Austin and Norman for sure. Briles earned much of what he got, but let us not act like his actions are different from many, many other coaches out there.

It's no surprise that Baylor "SOMEHOW" got caught up in this PC, METOO era social-justice-warrior sea change. It had as much to with the program's sudden rise to contender as it did with real mistakes that were made.
boognish_bear
graysongrundhoefer said:

Welp....Hopson's shelflife just got a lot shorter
boognish_bear

bear2be2
BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

The exact same thing could actually be said for a majority of schools, Oklahoma being at the top of that list in our own conference. If Briles/Bennett hadn't taken some of those kids, you can bet they'd have been in Norman or Austin or Stillwater or College Station. And they'd have gotten in trouble in these places, but you would have never seen it blow up on them.

The media that cover these teams are bought and paid for just like they are in a high number of other college towns. The sins of these schools and their players are whitewashed on a continual basis. Baylor doesn't have the power to manipulate facts like these programs. If you want to do the research, go back and examine how many crimes were committed by the athletes in programs in Norman and Austin and how quickly they were swept away or how little coverage they got.

I'm not saying Baylor/Waco should engage in that kind of overwhelming conspiratorial BS, but it happens and is happening right now in Austin and Norman for sure. Briles earned much of what he got, but let us not act like his actions are different from many, many other coaches out there.

It's no surprise that Baylor "SOMEHOW" got caught up in this PC, METOO era social-justice-warrior sea change. It had as much to with the program's sudden rise to contender as it did with real mistakes that were made.
I'd buy your first paragraph if there weren't a half-dozen or more guys you could point to in an eight-year stretch that we offered and signed that were either kicked off their previous team or had had virtually everyone else back off their recruitment because of perceived character flaws/disciplinary issues.

You're right that plenty of other coaches step to or across that line on occasion, but there've been few that I can remember who high stepped across it and did a touchdown dance on the other side. Art Briles was one.
Eball
bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Wichitabear said:

I'd buy your first paragraph if there weren't a half-dozen or more guys you could point to in an eight-year stretch that we offered and signed that were either kicked off their previous team or had had virtually everyone else back off their recruitment because of perceived character flaws/disciplinary issues.

You're right that plenty of other coaches step to or across that line on occasion, but there've been few that I can remember who high stepped across it and did a touchdown dance on the other side. Art Briles was one.
..of course people always judge things in hindsight...I just don't quite understand the whole CAB took to many chances and it bit him in the butt theory...becasue none of these recruitment's were done in secret...his boss and the entire administration was aware...all these so called thugs got admitted by admissions...where were the folks that should have been reigning him in if needed?

As CPB said they the football program dismissed more than most from the team for disciplinary problems...they tried to get more drug testing but were met with resistance from admin and JA.....

The wall that was built between Athletics and JA after Bliss scandal to keep any appearance of impropriety in check caused communication breakdowns and resulted in handcuffing the program to some extent. That was one explanation of the need for internal discipline.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

DanaDane said:

I think for some of us - those with integrity and character - the truth matters more than what the mob has convinced themselves of.

I know you have that mob mentality. You're the guy in the crowd calling for the public lynching without due process.
xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

DanaDane said:

I think for some of us - those with integrity and character - the truth matters more than what the mob has convinced themselves of.

I know you have that mob mentality. You're the guy in the crowd calling for the public lynching without due process.
I'm the guy that can understand the situation and realize his negotiation tactics post firing and his willingness to damage the school financially were not integrity or high character.
YoakDaddy
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

DanaDane said:

I'm the guy that can understand the situation and realize his negotiation tactics post firing and his willingness to damage the school financially were not integrity or high character.

Neither was selling dildos LOL!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.