Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

21,531 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorRocks
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There were some good coaches in the past. Art was the greatest offensive coach in school history but looked clueless in every aspect of the game outside of offense.
Thee University
JohnProctor said:

But at the same time it doesn't take a genius to recognize that Briles was the greatest football coach in the history of Baylor by a large margin.
You are no genius my Bear friend.

Briles was given support, facilities, kitchen passes, look the other ways, etc and did great. No doubt.

The sad thing is that he could have done even better had he swallowed hard and hired a real DC, a real ST coach and instilled REAL DISCIPLINE. Because he could not and would not do this, he can't be the greatest COACH in the history of Baylor by a large margin.

When Briles was hired a Baylor lawyer friend of mine in Houston who had a partner who was a HUGE U of H backer told us-----"you will love his offense and hate his defense". Boy was he right!

A great college coach covers and teaches ALL of the aspects of dominating college football - offense, defense & special teams wrapped up with discipline.

Baylor has never given college football a huge chance for success. Briles got 10X what the other coaches before him got. He did great. He left a lot on the table. A large portion of it was a steaming pile.

I blame the weak and amiable Canadian #1, the weak and disconnected Prez #2 and Art #3. The BOR had to clean the mess up as best they could.

Art had it all in his grasp. He failed.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
historian
Saying Art Briles failed at Baylor is just idiotic.

And saying Phil Bennett wasn't a "real DC" is too. Just because he played for A&M? That's silly & illogical. For most of the years he was at Baylor, our defense noticeably improved. Could it have been better? Of course. I bet Nick Saban says the same thing about his defense last year. Clemson helped him draw that conclusion.

Just watch the last 4 games of 2012: our D was significantly better than what they were earlier in the season. And they were even better in most of the 2013-2015 games. Yes, we lost games those years. Even the great Grant Teaff lost 2 games in 1980 and more in every other year. If you don't like the 11 win season number because they played fewer games, then go by percentage: 11-2 (84.6%) in 2013 & 2014 is still better than 10-2 (83.3%) in 1980. I'm not knocking the great GT but I am not going to ignore the reality of what happened.

Compared to where Baylor was before CAB, the team produced better results in almost every area--including defense. Certainly special teams, defense, discipline, and other areas could have been better too (too many penalties, dropped balls, missed tackles, etc). That does not erase one bit of the stellar accomplishments that Baylor football had on the field under his leadership. And he was not responsible for what 1-2 players did off campus in assaulting women.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
william
Might want to reconsider.....

IWIAHIT.....

D!

- LFS

{ sipping coffee }

Go Bears!
BUbearinARK
Just like in the depth charts, I can't stand the -OR-
Timbear
It's simple. When Baylor wins 10 games in one season again, no matter who's coaching, they're back. Until then, no.
LIB,MR BEARS
Remember when Art took his best team to Rice and choked? That was all on him!

Wait. What that? It wasn't Art and it was on the players? Why those sorry $&!;&-/@){+<|>~!!!
xiledinok
Rhule is doing a great job fixing and repairing a program after the face of rape coach.

You bubble boys need to grab the sweat hogs and go worship your football idol this season in the little east Texas hamlet. You all will enjoy those long drives for football games. It will give you good practice to start traveling to Big 12 road games (which will be a first for the bubble boys) once you join the Baylor bandwagon again.
historian
Timbear said:

It's simple. When Baylor wins 10 games in one season again, no matter who's coaching, they're back. Until then, no.
If we get 9 wins this year it will likely mean we're on the top tier of the conference and probably end the season ranked. By any standard, especially considering where we were when Rhule arrived, that would be excellent. But the team has announced their goals of 10 wins and conference title contention. I'm all on board for that!
Timbear
This can be a great year. I'm all in and will be attending games like old times. I hope I don't jinx them.
historian
I don't believe in luck, good or bad, but maybe you will be the good luck charm!
JohnProctor
Thee University said:

JohnProctor said:

But at the same time it doesn't take a genius to recognize that Briles was the greatest football coach in the history of Baylor by a large margin.

Briles was given support, facilities, kitchen passes, look the other ways, etc and did great. No doubt.

The sad thing is that he could have done even better had he swallowed hard and hired a real DC, a real ST coach and instilled REAL DISCIPLINE. Because he could not and would not do this, he can't be the greatest COACH in the history of Baylor by a large margin.

When Briles was hired a Baylor lawyer friend of mine in Houston who had a partner who was a HUGE U of H backer told us-----"you will love his offense and hate his defense". Boy was he right!

A great college coach covers and teaches ALL of the aspects of dominating college football - offense, defense & special teams wrapped up with discipline.

Baylor has never given college football a huge chance for success. Briles got 10X what the other coaches before him got. He did great. He left a lot on the table. A large portion of it was a steaming pile.

I blame the weak and amiable Canadian #1, the weak and disconnected Prez #2 and Art #3. The BOR had to clean the mess up as best they could.

Let me rephrase just for your benefit. Based on winning and losing. Based on championships. Based on weeks spent in the top 25. Based on a speedy turnaround of a crap program. Not based on emotionally concocted criteria of a BOR manservant. Briles is the greatest Baylor coach in modern history by a LARGE margin.

And as far as facilities. The reason we have those facilities is because of Briles. I'll remind you he started in Floyd Casey in case you have forgotten.

chukronos
Thee University said:

JohnProctor said:

C'mon....
Briles straight up earned all that you say he was given. Several other coaches had the same chance and failed.

Yes, his defenses were pathetic.... and that is being nice. He started with the same support and facilities that nearly every other coach in our history started with. He won games, electrified a fan base, and earned upgrades to everything that prior coaches only dreamed of.

He was, without a shred of doubt, the greatest coach we have ever had.

I hope Rhule can use what Briles brought to Baylor and actually win big bowl games. I think Rhule has the possibility to actually take the university to a much more respectable position than what was possible with briles.

That is just my humble opinion. But, I also think that you guys, in 1980 were, without a doubt, the best defense our team has ever had. Truly phenomenal. So, take that for what it is worth.
historian
McLane Stadium: The House that Art Briles Built

BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

3 Weeks........

Even closer now to a 8 or more win year and quieting the haters.
Suck it Haters............you know who you are.
Thee University
historian said:

McLane Stadium: The House that Art Briles Built

Tobacco settlement.

Grocery hauling.

1000s of players before the stadium was built.

Baylor started using a charge card instead of cash.

RG3.

Art's offense.

Baylor alumni.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
chukronos said:

Thee University said:

JohnProctor said:

C'mon....
Briles straight up earned all that you say he was given. Several other coaches had the same chance and failed.

Yes, his defenses were pathetic.... and that is being nice. He started with the same support and facilities that nearly every other coach in our history started with. He won games, electrified a fan base, and earned upgrades to everything that prior coaches only dreamed of.

I hope Rhule can use what Briles brought to Baylor and actually win big bowl games. I think Rhule has the possibility to actually take the university to a much more respectable position than what was possible with briles.

That is just my humble opinion. But, I also think that you guys, in 1980 were, without a doubt, the best defense our team has ever had. Truly phenomenal. So, take that for what it is worth.
Being a GREAT coach means you cover all three (3) of the basic fundamentals of greatness. Art mastered one (1) and rode it to phenomenal greatness particularly by Baylor standards.

I enjoyed the ride just as much as any of you including all of the many pencil necks and limp wrists. Trust me. Loved it.

RG3 leaving U of H was the catalyst. Baylor opening her wallet was the largest change. Our very survival in the Big 12 necessitated the change in everything - attitude, spending, support, ticket sales, coaching, etc. Throw Chip & Joanna in there too for a Waco makeover.
historian
Thee University said:

I enjoyed the ride just as much as any of you including all of the many pencil necks and limp wrists. Trust me. Loved it.

Considering how often you have complained & griped about every aspect of the CAB years for the past several years--ever since the baylorfans.com days--it is difficult to take those statements seriously.
BUBear24
I loved CAB when I used to serve him as a student working at George's, and I enjoy CMR and watching this new style and coaching develop. Here's hoping both legacies of our coaches and their coaching years continue to grow.
chukronos
Thee University said:

chukronos said:

Thee University said:

JohnProctor said:

C'mon....

Being a GREAT coach means you cover all three (3) of the basic fundamentals of greatness. Art mastered one (1) and rode it to phenomenal greatness particularly by Baylor standards.

RG3 leaving U of H was the catalyst. Baylor opening her wallet was the largest change. Our very survival in the Big 12 necessitated the change in everything - attitude, spending, support, ticket sales, coaching, etc. Throw Chip & Joanna in there too for a Waco makeover.
Agree with what you said. Being one dimensional caught up to us several times.
Thee University
historian said:

Thee University said:

Considering how often you have complained & griped about every aspect of the CAB years for the past several years--ever since the baylorfans.com days--it is difficult to take those statements seriously.

Of course it is hard for you. Just like second grade math. You have a hard head and can't listen.

I've griped about just a few aspects of those years.
historian
ad nauseum
Thee University
I've found that Bubble Boys, sheltered and pampered their entire lives, need a healthy dose of reality.
LIB,MR BEARS
Thee University said:

I've found that Bubble Boys, sheltered and pampered their entire lives, need a healthy dose of reality.
like Rice
Thee University
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Thee University said:

like Rice
Like Rice?

Explain please.
BBWCBear
Kickoff is thirteen days away. Coming off a Bowl win season, third year recruits, experienced QB, experienced OL, more talent on Defense... the table is set for a promising season. The Baylor Coach's third season at Temple was his breakout year, so Expectations are high... will he come thru?

Oh, I also have hopes for a good season in 3A ball in East Texas. Josh Gordon is getting a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I thought this was America and everyone deserved a second chance and a church school to boot... Christians.

Neither side will change their minds on the subject, but man, the back and forth is getting old and tiresome. Give it a rest, please!
BaylorRocks
BBWCBear said:

Kickoff is thirteen days away. Coming off a Bowl win season, third year recruits, experienced QB, experienced OL, more talent on Defense... the table is set for a promising season. The Baylor Coach's third season at Temple was his breakout year, so Expectations are high... will he come thru?

Oh, I also have hopes for a good season in 3A ball in East Texas. Josh Gordon is getting a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I thought this was America and everyone deserved a second chance and a church school to boot... Christians.

Neither side will change their minds on the subject, but man, the back and forth is getting old and tiresome. Give it a rest, please!
BaylorRocks
BaylorRocks
BaylorRocks
BaylorRocks
BaylorRocks
william
looks like the smock is gone???

- LFS

appears to be some smock-like pullover.

anyways....

go wombats!

Go Bears!
BaylorRocks
RegentCoverup
The only people that think Art built anything are the millenials that are too daft to read a balance sheet.

Baylor has serious cash around the campfire and several individuals could push our endowment up $500 million if they chose to do so. Art proved we could win and they spent some money.

What was missing was the management. Great coaches are program leaders. Art was an X and 0 guy and nothing more. A great one, but only on the offensive side at that. He didn't know how to manage coaches. Once Montgomery and a few others took off, it started to look unorganized.

And he was a complete moron about organization decisions. If he didn't have the balls to kick off a few bad apples, you can bet there are a heck of a lot of other things that were waiting to blow up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.