Story Poster
Photo by Scott Sewell-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Game Day Thread: Baylor (10-1) at Kansas (3-8)

November 29, 2019

The Baylor Bears (10-1) play their final regular season game of the 2019 season against the Kansas Jayhawks (3-8) on Saturday afternoon. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. CT and will be aired live on ESPN.

New Member Special: Try SicEm365 Premium for $5.00 until Feb. 6  

Baylor vs. Kansas Articles

Title Author
Kansas full game preview  Sam Bradshaw
Baylor’s record book review Brian Ethridge
Defensive development good for recruiting Colt Barber
Kansas offense vs. Baylor defense J.J. Joe
Why is Baylor No. 9? CFP Chair Mullens explains Grayson Grundhoefer
James Lynch earns Big 12 honor Staff
KU defense vs. Baylor offense J.J. Joe
Kansas statistical preview Sam Bradshaw
Insider Notes: The latest from the recruiting trail Colt Barber
1-on-1 interview with Matt Rhule David Smoak

DEPTH CHART | SCHEDULE | BIG 12 STANDINGS | COACHING STAFF

Matt Rhule Quote of the Week...

“I’m always concerned about everything, which is why to me all I talk about is process. I thought we were a little unfocused to begin the game (against Texas), which sometimes happens. It’s the first time I’ve ever had a corner be so offsides that they call the play back. Obviously, we turned the ball over the second play of the game. But I thought our guys did a nice job of regrouping. I think there are always concerns about where are we at mentally. I thought we were in a really good place again. We practiced last night, the guys were focused. I think people understand we win not because of who we are but because of what we do. We’ve won 10 games because we’ve tried to go 1-0 each week. I think they understand this will be a tremendous challenge any time you play on the road, and play a team that really should have beaten Iowa State last week or had a chance to beat Iowa State last week. A team that went to Boston College and beat up on Boston College, team that beat Texas Tech. So, we understand what we’re getting ready for. I think we just have to trust the players, you have to trust the locker room. And they did that last week, and I had no doubt they were going to do that last week. I had no doubt we were going to be ready. I was in the training room this morning where guys were getting treatment, and they looked very focused this week, understanding that this will be a challenge.”

Baylor Key Players

Running back #7 John Lovett — Baylor’s leading rusher should have an opportunity at a big game against the Big 12’s worst run defense. Kansas is giving up a whopping 4.8 yards per carry and 222 yards per game on the ground. Lovett has been the guy getting most of the rushing work of the running backs in recent weeks so he should get a chance at big runs especially if Charlie Brewer is not 100%.

Linebacker #26 Terrel Bernard — The Big 12’s third leading tackler has 91 tackles, eight tackles for loss, and 4.5 sacks on the season. He has built up all these stats despite only being the leading tackler on the team for half of the season. Imagine if he was the guy the whole season, his numbers would be insane.

Safety #1 Grayland Arnold — Three straight games now Arnold has an interception and he has four picks during those three games. He has been ridiculous and is playing the best football of his career. Arnold is a big reason why Baylor is leading the conference in turnover margin at +7. On the year he has 34 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, a sack, and two pass breakups.

Kansas Key Players

Quarterback #9 Carter Stanley — The senior leader has been off and on this season, in the games where he has played well (Indiana State, Boston College, West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, and Iowa State) the Jayhawks have been in the games or won those games. In the games he hasn’t they have been blown out in many cases. He needs to get a stat line close to 300 total yards and three touchdowns on over 55% completions if they want a chance against Baylor.

Running back #1 Pooka Williams — The Big 12’s third leading rusher is sitting at 945 rushing yards so far on the season. He is averaging 94.5 yards per game. To go along with his ability to run the ball he can also make an impact in the receiving game as he has 24 receptions for 187 yards and two touchdowns. 

Linebacker #5 Azur Kamara — Kansas is the worst team in the Big 12 at getting to the quarterback as they only have 16 sacks on the season. The Jayhawks don’t an elite pass rusher but if you were to point to one guy on the team who may be able to make so plays in the backfield, that guy would be Kamara. He has a team-high four sacks on the season to go along with 48 tackles.

Discussion from...

Game Day Thread: Baylor (10-1) at Kansas (3-8)

48,059 Views | 397 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
HuttoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Ellengher has just declared that Texas is back.....again.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy
Just win Bears!
BellCountyBear
Don't put the ball in Platt's tiny hands on the first drive.
Eball
1-0 Baby! sic em!
BaylorLit 01
Win and keep everyone healthy. We need everyone available next week.
Chick-Fil-A Bear 08
So who does Baylor actually need to win this game. I think Ohio State yes? Cause an OSU loss means they probably fall to 3, 4 or 5 and are still ahead of us. We need Clemson and Georgia and Utah to lose yes?
gobears20
Staff
GruntTuff
20 mph winds and tiny crowd. Dead environment.

Focus will be crucial as this Kansas team is much better.

Defense, no mistakes in the kicking game and run the ball.
boognish_bear
BellCountyBear said:

Don't put the ball in Platt's tiny hands on the first drive.

I hope Platt gets a TD today in his final BU game. He's been a great 2 sport athlete for our school and has a good head on his shoulders.
ImABearToo
Baylor fans outnumber Rock Chalk? Wouldn't be surprised. Sic em!
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
StatMan
Back at the site of Matt Rhule's first win as head coach at Baylor. In 2017, Baylor dominated Kansas, 38-9. Today, Baylor is expected to take care of business. If successful, Baylor will have a 10-game winning streak against Kansas + tie a program record for most wins in a football season with 11. SIC 'EM, BEARS!
MrGolfguy
Namtats! Namtats! Namtats!
HoustonBear15
The all golds looked better in person than this combo does. Not awful, just super Packers
boognish_bear
HoustonBear15 said:

The all golds looked better in person than this combo does. Not awful, just super Packers

Ya....that's my biggest problem with them...I don't think they look bad....just too much of a copy though
HoustonBear15
boognish_bear said:

HoustonBear15 said:

Ya....that's my biggest problem with them...I don't think they look bad....just too much of a copy though
I think a green helmet would've looked better. Or maybe green pants. Just not the sandwich look
gobears20
Staff
HoustonBear15
Winds are high, crowds are low
ImABearToo
Looks more like Mexia vs Marlin.
gobears20
Staff
ImABearToo
Two minutes into broadcast and we've already heard "trap game." Go Packers....sorry Go Bears!
hodedofome
Who we rootin for, South Dakota State?
Branch155
Nice of the refs to give us a free shot on their QB
hodedofome
Branch155 said:

The perfect defensive play. Pressured the QB and intercepted at the end.
303Bear
Branch155 said:

Big 12 officiating at its finest!
Branch155
Was it just me, or did Miller come within a few inches of another targeting call?
Branch155
Great coverage on 3rd down
303Bear
And Kansas remembered they are Kansas.
ImABearToo
Miller lowered his head. He even had that look of "oh sh*t!"
Jacques Strap
I'm in the mood for a blowout by the Bears!
Branch155
Jacques Strap said:

I'm in the mood for a blowout by the Bears!
It would be nice to rest some starters
jdrs
That was fast
JumboShrimper
Very nice start
Branch155
Well, that escalated quickly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.