Football
Sponsored by

Football season. Yea or Nay?

12,190 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Russell Gym
EatMoreSalmon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Right now college athletes can be fairly effectively quarantined. Campuses full of students and fans going on and off campus cannot. It may be tarp time for all schools' sports venues this fall.
TKGBear
Bearprof said:

Blackie's lengthy reply, as well as some others, gives me hope that there are some on this board who haven't completely lost their minds. You can trace the lack of any group activities for this summer, fall, and possibly next spring to our feckless leader - the one with the "biggest brain" and who has all the "best words."

It's an oft quoted line that "Elections have consequences." In most cases it has to do with policies which can very much have a negative effect on our citizenry - especially those of color and of the poor, in general. In this case, the political consequences of 2016 have resulted in life and death due to COVID, as tens of thousands of Americans have died needlessly due to a complete disregard of empathy, intelligence, and natural ability by our Divider-in-Chief - whose most significant accomplishment has been a reality TV show.

We have been told for 40 years the folksy tale that somehow the government is the enemy. While I believe that a balance between government and private businesses can be managed to benefit everyone to some extent, however difficult, there are only some things government can do. The COVID response is one of the them, and our President has been an abject failure in this situation in particular. Look in the mirror if you haven't been wearing a mask or been propping up a President who is nothing more than a sideshow. It's your fault. You knew better in 2016 but you made this happen anyway.

You want to get back to some sense of normalcy next summer and beyond? Then elect leaders who believe in science - testing, contact tracing, and providing the financial resources to keep us afloat until we can make significant progress in battling this virus. It isn't a hoax. Let's turn the page together and move on.

Amazingly enough, you have been appalling, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, pathetic, pitiful, laughable, and preposterous all in one statement! Where did you go to school? Texas!
tkgbear
Wichitabear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

PartyBear said:

Hmm.... I'm not sure there is enough time at this point for things to substantially improve. In states such as Texas and Florida, the state governments will use the time to create more disaster.
Agree with this post 100 percent but am a little shocked it came from you. So you are admitting that Covid-19 is being politicized at this point? Or perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken.
I don' t think you have to worry about that sarcasm meter. Lolol
boognish_bear
Arizona pushing back the start of school

Wichitabear
I don't think Texas will but I could be wrong School being pushed back that is
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wichitabear said:

Not so sure about that. Even Greg Abbott has already done a do-si-do. Wheelchair and all!
Russell Gym
Wichitabear said:

I don't think Texas will but I could be wrong

Texas Ed. commissioner issued a statement 10 days ago that "it will be safe" for school to open in the fall. I don't see TEA and Gov. Abbott backing away from an on-time start. I could be wrong.
Wichitabear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

Not so sure about that. Even Greg Abbott has already done a do-si-do. Wheelchair and all!
lolol School is a whole different matter for our governor.
Russell Gym
Wichitabear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

No kidding. He is about to pack 500 to 3,000+ kids and adults into close quarters for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in schools all across Texas. No chance those packed crowds will spread anything to family members at home.
boognish_bear
Russell Gym said:

Wichitabear said:

I don't think Texas will but I could be wrong

Texas Ed. commissioner issued a statement 10 days ago that "it will be safe" for school to open in the fall. I don't see TEA and Gov. Abbott backing away from an on-time start. I could be wrong.

I saw that. Gave me a chuckle. Seemed a bit of a reach to assuredly say schools would be "safe."

I could understand him saying we will be opening schools with additional safety protocols in place. But to actually claim they will be "safe" seems like a reach.
Wichitabear
No, he is going to give family choices. Face to Face, Online, or both
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Russell Gym said:

Wichitabear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

No kidding. He is about to pack 500 to 3,000+ kids and adults into close quarters for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in schools all across Texas. No chance those packed crowds will spread anything to family members at home.
I didn't take you for one of those REOPEN THE ECONOMY in 2022 kinda guys. I take that back. Now that I think about it, I did.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BUGWBBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

More like spinning wheelies.
Michibear
BUGWBBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

More like spinning wheelies.
I think the correct term is "popping wheelies," but i digress.

Russell Gym
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Russell Gym said:

Wichitabear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Wichitabear said:

I didn't take you for one of those REOPEN THE ECONOMY in 2022 kinda guys. I take that back. Now that I think about it, I did.

"All aboard the REOPEN 2022 TRAIN! CHOO CHOO!! First stop is No Middle Ground, Texas in the year 2022. Departing Pack Em In Now Public School. No possible stops between!"

In all seriousness, I was just poking fun at the contrast between the small crowd restrictions for public gatherings in some areas and that school kids and teachers are exempt from that. Didn't mean to rile you up. At least parents appear to have a choice for distance learning.

Now Departing - CHOO CHOO!!
curtpenn
Bearprof said:

Blackie's lengthy reply, as well as some others, gives me hope that there are some on this board who haven't completely lost their minds. You can trace the lack of any group activities for this summer, fall, and possibly next spring to our feckless leader - the one with the "biggest brain" and who has all the "best words."

It's an oft quoted line that "Elections have consequences." In most cases it has to do with policies which can very much have a negative effect on our citizenry - especially those of color and of the poor, in general. In this case, the political consequences of 2016 have resulted in life and death due to COVID, as tens of thousands of Americans have died needlessly due to a complete disregard of empathy, intelligence, and natural ability by our Divider-in-Chief - whose most significant accomplishment has been a reality TV show.

We have been told for 40 years the folksy tale that somehow the government is the enemy. While I believe that a balance between government and private businesses can be managed to benefit everyone to some extent, however difficult, there are only some things government can do. The COVID response is one of the them, and our President has been an abject failure in this situation in particular. Look in the mirror if you haven't been wearing a mask or been propping up a President who is nothing more than a sideshow. It's your fault. You knew better in 2016 but you made this happen anyway.

You want to get back to some sense of normalcy next summer and beyond? Then elect leaders who believe in science - testing, contact tracing, and providing the financial resources to keep us afloat until we can make significant progress in battling this virus. It isn't a hoax. Let's turn the page together and move on.

If only we had such leaders, rather than the existential threats to our nation's continued existence that inhabit the top rungs now.
Russell Gym
Mr Tulip
In all seriousness, public education is where theory breaks with reality.

It's quite obvious that sending kids back to schools anytime soon is lunacy. The virus could, of course, miraculously clear up between now and autumn, but that's not the way to bet. Sending children to congregate in those groups is foolish.

Online learning would theoretically be the way to go. We've seen that public school teachers will once again develop on the fly solutions to problems, often with their own resources, as they always have. They will do a heroic job of adapting and presenting lessons virtually.

The problem is on the receiving end. My son might be considered the "best case scenario". His parents are both educated in a variety of topics. My wife works mostly from home right now and can ostensibly be there for assistance. However, he's 14, and ONLY WORKS UNDER THREAT OF IMMINENT PHYSICAL HARM - and even then only grudgingly. He's not unique. That's just how most teenagers are.

It should be immediately clear, then, that there's a huge segment of the population who will simply not connect with remote learning. Not everyone has convenient resources available. They'd need constant assistance with technology that they don't own. That's assuming a district can provide it.

In short, we're looking at abandoning the most vulnerable segment (realistically all the way on the continuum up to the least vulnerable) of our students to a lost year (and a half) of education.

There's no easy or clean solution here.
BaylorRocks
There will not be a college football season this year.
It'll be back in Fall 2021.
Just get your arms around that, now, and you'll be ok.

Sic'em
chriscbear
Liability issue. Liberals and trial lawyers mess things up. Sicem.
Aliceinbubbleland
PartyBear said:

Speaking of Abbott, blackie you can blame it on the feckless politicians like Trump and Abbott who feared the maskless crowd and did nothing to to make any kind of reopening safe and anything but essentially temporary. The only leadership the people in Texas have had through this has come from local leaders like Mayor's and city councils and County Judges and county commissioners courts. To this day there is a refusal to lead by anyone over the local level in this state.
Far be it from me to defend Trump but you are just spouting the Pelosi Party line. Trump was correct. This is the flu. The death rate is less than 1/2 of 1% and a huge percentage of those were in nursing homes.

I wear my mask inside businesses because they are required although I think it is absolutely stupid.

We have totally wrecked our economy because of mental panic. We have allowed millions to remain at home while receiving more in unemployment benefits than they could earn making an honest wage. Our Treasury has helicoptered money into the economy that Party Bears grand kids will pay the price for and it will be much more expensive than the Wuhan Virus.

The only silver lining is with a new coaching staff and a new system to put in place we will be the beneficary of a non season as we are so far behind our competitors who have staff in place for several years.
Aliceinbubbleland
Dia del DougO said:

aggy is already designing the banner for "tied for national championship 2020."
The only positive about cancelling the season that I can come up is the fact aggy will be denied playing their easiest schedule since joining the SEC.
tombeaux
Nay.

Two weeks ago I thought there was a chance, but with 25% capacity or no fans. 50% capacity was a pipe dream.

Now, CDC is basically saying it's out of control. If I had to bet, I'd say it's not happening.

https://apple.news/ATBQ6Rn_cRUas8qnqqgL9eQ
cmassler
I am expecting the answer, sadly, to be - No!
PartyBear
I guess Clemson will be the National champ again since they are still reigning. Come to thinking so are the Lady Bears put up a banner for this past season as well.
historian
Aliceinbubbleland said:

We have totally wrecked our economy because of mental panic. We have allowed millions to remain at home while receiving more in unemployment benefits than they could earn making an honest wage. Our Treasury has helicoptered money into the economy that Party Bears grand kids will pay the price for and it will be much more expensive than the Wuhan Virus.
I see what you did there! Nice reference to "Helicopter Ben" and the idiotic Keynesian policies that are still in vogue despite repeated failures and instead causing great harm.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Squatch Hunter
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Dia del DougO said:

aggy is already designing the banner for "tied for national championship 2020."
The only positive about cancelling the season that I can come up is the fact aggy will be denied playing their easiest schedule since joining the SEC.
This post needs more love.
Aliceinbubbleland
Something to think about and kick the can. I just returned from the store wearing a mask. It is only 86 degrees and humid and the mask is hot as hell. Not too many people will be willing to wear a mask in 100 degree September heat.

I'm think more and more positive about spring football. March, April and May weather is much better than hot as hell to cold as ice September, October, November and December.

Maybe cut back on the number of games in the future. 1 OOC game? The other 2 are usually useless anyways.
historian
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Maybe cut back on the number of games in the future. 1 OOC game? The other 2 are usually useless anyways.
Interesting idea. But as long as it is all generated by $$$, it won't happen.
boognish_bear
sahen
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Something to think about and kick the can. I just returned from the store wearing a mask. It is only 86 degrees and humid and the mask is hot as hell. Not too many people will be willing to wear a mask in 100 degree September heat.

I'm think more and more positive about spring football. March, April and May weather is much better than hot as hell to cold as ice September, October, November and December.

If football was invented in the South then it would be a Spring sport. It would be nice to go to a game and it be anywhere from 50-80 degrees instead of our normal swing of 40-100. The last year of The Case there was a game that was 120 and a game that was 20 (exaggerated slightly). Thats crazy!
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
sahen said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

If football was invented in the South then it would be a Spring sport. It would be nice to go to a game and it be anywhere from 50-80 degrees instead of our normal swing of 40-100. The last year of The Case there was a game that was 120 and a game that was 20 (exaggerated slightly). Thats crazy!
If it weren't for TV contracts we could just always have night games through August. I personally wouldn't want to see this team travel to Iowa in February.
boognish_bear
Spring college football would be so weird....but if it means not canceling the season I'm down with it.

It would at least bring some excitement to the crappy sports month of February
sahen
clubhi said:

sahen said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

If it weren't for TV contracts we could just always have night games through August. I personally wouldn't want to see this team travel to Iowa in February.
Night games through the early part of the season would be nice. Texas High School Football is fine with kickoffs at 7 to 7:30 on Friday Night and they traditionally start a week earlier.
historian
boognish_bear said:

Spring college football would be so weird....but if it means not canceling the season I'm down with it.

It would at least bring some excitement to the crappy sports month of February
February 2020 I was in the Ferrell Center for several great MBB & WBB games. Nothing crappy about that!

And these are examples are only from the men!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.