Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

58,405 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by A Grateful Bear
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

I must be getting old. My two favorites were:

1. Pete's Diner - I believe it was located where Brooks Flats are located today. They had a meal ticket and everyday was a different hot meal. Pete rented homes around campus for students also.

2. Kitok's - I miss seeing Bob and Kitok. My wife and I became good friends with them while we attended Baylor 1977-1980. I will swear that Kitok's soup brought me back to life after food poisoning from bad meat purchased at H.E.8.

One night, there were bad storms in the area and the electrical power went out. There were only two tables of customers at the time. Bob locked the restaurant doors, lit candles and we all ate Korean food together. For many years, we exchanged Christmas cards after that dark night of no electricity.

Kitok's still going strong.

For me (mostly for nostalgia's sake):

• Miller Family Steakhouse
  • Super Spud
  • Oso Burrito (previously mentioned)
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

Miller Family steakhouse/Lake Brazos is a good one.

It was really good and it was a shame that it went downhill and eventually closed.
Maybe a senior moment, but Miller Family and Lake Brazos steakhouses were separate, right? One was across the street (more or less) from Water Works near downtown, and the other was further down Lake Brazos, right?

I miss Fran's. Some good, interesting spots in Waco - love Kitok's, Kim's, D's as well as the Nick's and Northwood Inn type places. A shame the latter closed.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Kyle said:

cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

1. Pete's Diner - I believe it was located where Brooks Flats are located today. They had a meal ticket and everyday was a different hot meal. Pete rented homes around campus for students also.

2. Kitok's - I miss seeing Bob and Kitok. My wife and I became good friends with them while we attended Baylor 1977-1980. I will swear that Kitok's soup brought me back to life after food poisoning from bad meat purchased at H.E.8.

One night, there were bad storms in the area and the electrical power went out. There were only two tables of customers at the time. Bob locked the restaurant doors, lit candles and we all ate Korean food together. For many years, we exchanged Christmas cards after that dark night of no electricity.

• Super Spud
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

It was really good and it was a shame that it went downhill and eventually closed.
Maybe a senior moment, but Miller Family and Lake Brazos steakhouses were separate, right? One was across the street (more or less) from Water Works near downtown, and the other was further down Lake Brazos, right?

I miss Fran's. Some good, interesting spots in Waco - love Kitok's, Kim's, D's as well as the Nick's and Northwood Inn type places. A shame the latter closed.
The place that across the street from Waterworks was a seafood/upscale type of place I wasn't allowed into as a kid and burned down, but it wasn't Lake Brazos or Miller Family.
Alf
Pelicans or the Pelican
Stranger
Alf said:

Pelicans or the Pelican

You are correct
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Alf said:

Pelicans or the Pelican
Thought Pelican Club, but that was attached to Gaido's, but The Pelican sounds right.
SSadler
Chicken Shack in Bellmead was, in the early 70s, the place where Chamber pledges were accepted as members.

Good times..

EWSD
Oso Burrito. Nuff said.
PartyBear
I had sort of forgotten about Gratziano's. It had a pretty good lunch buffet and had a nice NYC/Broadway theming.
Weston Rogers
It's a newer one and only made it a couple of years, but I really miss the brisket tacos and atmosphere at Manny's on the river... It's too bad they couldn't sort out the ownership/partnership/management agreement to make it work, it does well in Dallas and should have done well in Waco.
TrapIt4Life
Rog said:

It's a newer one and only made it a couple of years, but I really miss the brisket tacos and atmosphere at Manny's on the river... It's too bad they couldn't sort out the ownership/partnership/management agreement to make it work, it does well in Dallas and should have done well in Waco.
That location looks so sad and empty now. Kayaked by it a few times in the last couple weeks and it just looks like a cursed abandoned Mexican carnival ground.
Bear Doc
TrapIt4Life said:

Rog said:

That location looks so sad and empty now. Kayaked by it a few times in the last couple weeks and it just looks like a cursed abandoned Mexican carnival ground.
I thought that place was going to be prime for Magnolia to pick it up and open like a Casa de Magnolia del Rio or something similar. They would print money there (as if their money printing machine needs any help)...
A Grateful Bear
Someone suggested that inability to pull weekday lunch crowds to that location is its Achilles heal.
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
trey3216
A Grateful Bear said:

Someone suggested that inability to pull weekday lunch crowds to that location is its Achilles heal.
*heel

But that's what a lot of people say. Of course, Lula Jane's, Tony D's, and Jasper's would argue against that. IT's all about perception.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear Doc
Well with the Magnolia name, and a 2-3 hour wait over at the Table (and maybe even a shuttle between the two places), I would bet they could fill it up pretty good.

I wonder whether their ethics would allow serving alcohol... That may be the true hang-up...
OsoCoreyell
CarmelBear said:

Oso burrito on LaSalle was amazing. $1.25 for a gigantic burrito in 89.
Closed for using dog-food. Ugh!
Weston Rogers
Bear Doc said:

TrapIt4Life said:

Rog said:

I thought that place was going to be prime for Magnolia to pick it up and open like a Casa de Magnolia del Rio or something similar. They would print money there (as if their money printing machine needs any help)...
As much as I love what Chip and Joanna have done and are doing for Waco, I really don't want to wake up one day and have everything be Magnolia this or Magnolia that. Would love to see other investors follow the lead of them and others(Turner brothers have done a ton downtown) that have shown you can reap benefits of your investment in Waco.
cowboycwr
A Grateful Bear said:

I would say weekday crowds in general. After about a month of being open you could go there on a weekday lunch or dinner and there would be 10 people there.

It is just a bad location for a restaurant whether it is a chain or local. Just so out of the way with nothing around in terms of businesses or stores.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

But that's what a lot of people say. Of course, Lula Jane's, Tony D's, and Jasper's would argue against that. IT's all about perception.
Those are established favorites though that people will drive to. A new restaurant, even a chain, off by itself will often get forgotten about when people start discussing lunch options.

tombeaux
Yes, I think so.
Kyle
Brian Ethridge said:

Kyle said:

cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

• Super Spud
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

The place that across the street from Waterworks was a seafood/upscale type of place I wasn't allowed into as a kid and burned down, but it wasn't Lake Brazos or Miller Family.
Pelican's - it was a chain. When was in Waco, it had burned down, but the sign was there for a few years.

So at one time (90s) was both Miller Family Steakhouse and Lake Brazos Steakhouse on Lake Brazos? I swear, going toward MCC, you passed Miller's on the left (I can still see the brown sign) and then Lake Brazos further down (seems like the sign was red?) But maybe all senility.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

Those are established favorites though that people will drive to. A new restaurant, even a chain, off by itself will often get forgotten about when people start discussing lunch options.

Of course. But it's not as if it takes longer to get to that location than it does the 3 I mentioned. It's the fickle Waco mindset that "it's far off" or some crap. Just like how CenTex Marketplace is "far from Hewitt/Woodway" when it's 5 damn minutes away.

Some folks' sense of time, direction, and form of entertainment around here just absolutely crack me up.
cowboycwr
Kyle said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Kyle said:

cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

• Super Spud
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

Pelican's - it was a chain. When was in Waco, it had burned down, but the sign was there for a few years.

So at one time (90s) was both Miller Family Steakhouse and Lake Brazos Steakhouse on Lake Brazos? I swear, going toward MCC, you passed Miller's on the left (I can still see the brown sign) and then Lake Brazos further down (seems like the sign was red?) But maybe all senility.
Miller family steakhouse became Lake Brazos steakhouse when it was rebuilt after it burned down.

Before it was Miller it was a Catfish Hut.

Miller and lake Brazos are one in the same place, not two separate places.

https://www.baylor.edu/lariatarchives/news.php?action=story&story=15430

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/unsanitary-conditions-force-waco-eateries-to-close/article_a813421b-7cbf-5255-9cf0-686a28f462ef.html

BaylorHistory
I can faintly remember Waterworks as a kid just because of the caboose. I'm not really good with names and since I was a kid they probably sucked, but we ate a lot of...

Piccadilly- required after church...didn't they have locations in both malls at one point?
Gattiland- the one by MCC not the Valley Mills location had the best games
Damon's- The only place to watch March Madness in Waco
Steak and Ale- Parents loved it
Black Eyed Pea- Nobody liked it except for the grandparents

Where was El Conquistador at before it's current location? I wanna guess Valley Mills? We ate there a ton before the move and hardly ever after the move. Did Waco ever have 3 Luby's or did the New Road location open after the Bosque one closed?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

Of course. But it's not as if it takes longer to get to that location than it does the 3 I mentioned. It's the fickle Waco mindset that "it's far off" or some crap. Just like how CenTex Marketplace is "far from Hewitt/Woodway" when it's 5 damn minutes away.

Some folks' sense of time, direction, and form of entertainment around here just absolutely crack me up.
Depending on where a person is coming from I would agree. Jasper's is one block from 35. Manny's a little further.

I would say the other obstacle is the crunch that some people are under for lunch. Some don't have enough time to drive 10 extra minutes (total) and sit waiting for food.

I agree with you though that nothing in Waco is really that far. Just that a restaurant by itself gets forgotten about, is left out at lunch time because of time constraints, etc.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

Depending on where a person is coming from I would agree. Jasper's is one block from 35. Manny's a little further.

I would say the other obstacle is the crunch that some people are under for lunch. Some don't have enough time to drive 10 extra minutes (total) and sit waiting for food.

I agree with you though that nothing in Waco is really that far. Just that a restaurant by itself gets forgotten about, is left out at lunch time because of time constraints, etc.
I'm talking about driving across the river from downtown to eat lunch. It takes the same amount of time to get to 'Manny's' as it does Jasper's. Maybe less. It's all about perception
Brian Ethridge
Staff
cowboycwr said:

Kyle said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Kyle said:

cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

• Super Spud
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

Miller family steakhouse became Lake Brazos steakhouse when it was rebuilt after it burned down.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/unsanitary-conditions-force-waco-eateries-to-close/article_a813421b-7cbf-5255-9cf0-686a28f462ef.html

Yes, one became the other post fire.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

I'm talking about driving across the river from downtown to eat lunch. It takes the same amount of time to get to 'Manny's' as it does Jasper's. Maybe less. It's all about perception
I always wondered if old Waco had issues driving on that side of the river at night. I know it was not a great or even good area while growing up, but I never had issues on Elm, Clay, etc.
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

A Grateful Bear said:

*heel

I always wondered if old Waco had issues driving on that side of the river at night. I know it was not a great or even good area while growing up, but I never had issues on Elm, Clay, etc.
I know growing up in Robinson I knew some older people who believed that going downtown was reserved for the weekends because of the distance. My great grandparents would often stay the night in Hillsboro when the outlet mall first open because the drive was too much for one day.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
cowboycwr
Brian Ethridge said:

cowboycwr said:

Kyle said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Kyle said:

cowboycwr said:

boxster said:

BearnMI said:

• Super Spud
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

Yes, one became the other post fire.
Actually is was Miller Family Lake Brazos Steakhouse pre fire and then just LBS post fire.
WacoKelly83
Where was El Conquistador at before it's current location? I wanna guess Valley Mills?

El Con was directly across the street on Waco Dr. from it's current location in the strip center where Ritchie's Western Wear is now.

El conquistador was originally Ted's Midway Cafe in the shopping center directly behind Leals in woodway
FirmBear24
I was too young, but I remember a place called Nick's being where El Con is now or close to it. Think it was a Greek place and maybe his dressing is still available.
kcarlson
Big Daddy's and Hickory Stick were the first to come to mind for me.

It always seemed like Buzzard Billy's was much better back when it was in Downtown. Never liked it after it moved to the current location on the river. The building it is currently in used to be a restaurant that served chicken fried steak but I can never remember the name.
lrwells50
FirmBear24 said:

I was too young, but I remember a place called Nick's being where El Con is now or close to it. Think it was a Greek place and maybe his dressing is still available.
It was delicious. We went when we could afford to, which wasn't often, from 68 - 72.
BBear77
kcarlson said:

It always seemed like Buzzard Billy's was much better back when it was in Downtown. Never liked it after it moved to the current location on the river. The building it is currently in used to be a restaurant that served chicken fried steak but I can never remember the name.
Brazos Landing. Part of the Brazos Queen when it was around.
whitetrash
BBear77 said:

kcarlson said:

Brazos Landing. Part of the Brazos Queen when it was around.
Famous for its 3 for 1 happy hours in the early 80s before the legislature outlawed them.

There was an apocryphal story going around in 1983 that on a dare a BU offensive lineman who is now a world renowned Harvard educated doctor ripped the bathroom sink out of the wall in the Brazos Landing men's room a la Chief in the final scene of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.